Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
17 year old legally euthanised (Read 1806 times)
PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 17 year old legally euthanised
Reply #15 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 5:43am

There's been an update

I've checked a few sites.  Below is from the Guardian

Quote:
Dutch girl was not 'legally euthanised' and died at home

Noa Pothoven is believed to have refused to eat and there is no evidence of assisted death

The Levenseinde or “end-of-life” clinic in The Hague, which Noa contacted in 2017, said on Tuesday it could not comment for privacy reasons. But in order to “put an end to incorrect reporting (in foreign media in particular)”, it released a statement from Noa’s friends: “Noa Pothoven did not die of euthanasia. To stop her suffering, she stopped eating and drinking.”

Noa told De Gelderlander newspaper in an interview in December that she had approached the clinic the previous year to ask if she could be considered for euthanasia or assisted suicide, but was told she could not.
“They consider that I am too young to die,” she told the paper. “They think I should finish my trauma treatment and that my brain must first be fully grown. That lasts until your 21st birthday. It’s broken me, because I can’t wait that long.”

After repeated recent hospital stays, during one of which she was considered so dangerously underweight she was placed in an coma to allow her to be fed intravenously, Noa decided earlier this year she wanted no further treatment, the paper said.
A hospital bed was set up in her parents’ home and last week she refused all food and fluids. Her parents and doctors reportedly agreed not to force-feed her. Dutch medical guidelines stipulate that if a patient withholds their consent, “care providers may not provide treatment, nursing or care”.

LINK

Another source has this:

Quote:
Pothoven, however, was not euthanized as the stories claimed.

Euthanasia can be performed in the Netherlands one of two ways: a doctor can give the patient life-ending drugs to administer themselves, or a doctor can administer the drugs.

However, both the teen's Instagram account and Dutch media said she used her rights to stop eating and drinking and refuse medical treatment with the understanding of her parents and doctors that they would not try to force feed her.

Forced treatment 'degrading'
Pothoven had previously spoken with local newspaper De Gelderlanderof the "humiliating" and "degrading" experiences she had with involuntary procedures and being forced to see her mental health become a matter for local courts.
  LINK

Business Insider carries this, 6 hours ago:

Quote:
A 17-year-old Dutch rape victim who documented her trauma on Instagram starved herself to death after her parents and the government agreed not to intervene

A representative for Lisa Westerveld, a member of the Dutch parliament who was close to Pothoven, told the website Dutch News that "as far as we know, she died because she didn't eat any more."

In her book, Pothoven described being assaulted at a school party at 11, and again when she was 12. When she was 14, she wrote, she was raped by two men in Arnhem. She said she initially did not tell anyone what happened or go to the police, out of shame and fear.

Her teen years were blighted by anorexia, and she was in various institutions, including one where she was fed through a tube, according to De Gelderlander.

Eventually, her mother concluded that she would be best treated at a clinic that specializes in youth psychiatry, "where she can stay and where all her physical and mental problems are addressed," she told the newspaper. But no places were available.

"That's crazy," Pothoven told the Dutch paper. "If you have a serious heart disease, you can undergo surgery within a few weeks. But if you become acutely mentally ill, then they say casually, 'Unfortunately, we are full. Just go on the waiting list.' And you have to know that one in 10 anorexia patients in the Netherlands dies from the consequences of the eating disorder."

LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 5:59am

Quote:
She said in her final social media post on Saturday that she “breathes but no longer lives” after being sexually assaulted and raped three times, first when she was 11. These assaults had led her to develop post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and anorexia.

For years, Noa kept her trauma a secret.
Up until age 11, she had been a good student and a happy child. Then, seemingly overnight, Noa changed. She began to starve herself and her parents were totally in the dark as to why. They would not find out for years.

In November Noa’s autobiography Winning or Learning was published.

LINK

Quote:
According to the Dutch newspaper De Gelderlander, Noa's parents had no idea she was unwell until her mother discovered a plastic envelope in her room filled with farewell letters to her parents, friends and acquaintances.

'I was in shock,' Lisette told De Gelderlander. 'We didn't get it. Noa is sweet, beautiful, smart, social and always cheerful. How is it possible that she wants to die?
'We have never received a real answer. We just heard that her life was no longer meaningful. For only a year and a half have we known what secret she has carried with her over the years.'

LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:11am

Interesting ... so this whole story may have been a "beat-up"?

Who did it? Why?

Do I detect the faint smell of far right religious nutters at work trying to derail euthanasia?  Sad

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:36am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 10:52pm:
Quote:
..........Noa Pothoven, 17, has been legally euthanised in the Netherlands, saying the pain she was dealing with after a childhood rape was “insufferable”.

Noa, from Arnhem, said in a social media post a day before her death last Sunday that she “breaths but no longer lives”...........

it was her life, her choice, her decision

well, not me .
I am for voluntary euthanasia

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 8:03pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 11:51pm:
John Smith wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 9:19pm:
it's why they should never legalise euthanasia

In your correct metier, 'smith', you are a worthy citizen of the world.. apart from that - my shorts are about ready for you to eat... you are a prick, first class, Mk I ... now GROW UP!

Get on the side of the angels - or leave!!

I'll be there on 13th June with your jar of olives ... until then - get a grip, man!!

what the bugger are you on about now you idiot?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 8:07pm

John Smith wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 8:03pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 11:51pm:
John Smith wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 9:19pm:
it's why they should never legalise euthanasia

In your correct metier, 'smith', you are a worthy citizen of the world.. apart from that - my shorts are about ready for you to eat... you are a prick, first class, Mk I ... now GROW UP!

Get on the side of the angels - or leave!!

I'll be there on 13th June with your jar of olives ... until then - get a grip, man!!

what the bugger are you on about now you idiot?

Well he doesn't go on about 'buggering' like you do.
Another disgusting homo/pedo-erotic input from you just recently. You're as addicted to this stuff as Peckerhead & LTYC are. Whatever Ye Graps says is perfect sense to me, compared to anything you have to offer. Weirdo! Roll Eyes

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1559879841/5#5

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 8:10pm

"72 year old legally euthanised"

Nah, just kidding.

Wishful thinking.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:09pm

the story isn't what it seems

Debunking the viral news story of a Dutch teenager being legally euthanised

https://www.dazeddigital.com/life-culture/article/44754/1/debunking-viral-story-...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:16pm

AiA wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:09pm:
the story isn't what it seems

Debunking the viral news story of a Dutch teenager being legally euthanised

https://www.dazeddigital.com/life-culture/article/44754/1/debunking-viral-story-...

I think the Amish have got it right. Nothing but crap comes out of the Media these days with the truth being a chip in an inflated bag of air (just like John Smith). The Shirefolk have what it takes to survive in an over-complicated world of the mentally stressed.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 6:46am

this is one of the saddest stories I have read in a long time..this child was so sad and no one could help her.

dying is a last resort not one to be made at 17.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print