Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
VW's electric race car at it again (Read 1163 times)
DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
VW's electric race car at it again
Jun 4th, 2019 at 9:51am

https://insideevs.com/news/352793/video-volkswagen-id-r-record-nordschleife/
Full lap of the record-breaking run of the Nürburgring Nordschleife in Volkswagen I.D. R takes just 6:05.336 minutes
Volkswagen's team just processed all the recordings from the I.D. R record-breaking run and here we can watch the full lap of the Nürburgring Nordschleife driven by Romain Dumas.
The result of 6:05.336 minutes, at an average speed of 206.96 km/h (128.62 mph), is the emission-free lap record of all time and second only to Porsche 919 Hybrid EVO (5:19.546). The previous EV record was set by the NIO EP9 at 6:45.90 (improved by 40.564 seconds).

Volkswagen I.D. R records with Romain Dumas behind the wheel:
Nürburgring Nordschleife EV record (June 3, 2019): 6:05.336 minutes at an average speed of 206.96 km/h (128.62 mph) over 20.8 km (12.9 mile)
Goodwood Festival of Speed EV record (July, 2018): 43.86 seconds
Pikes Peak International Hill Climb absolute track record (June 24, 2018): 7:57.148 minutes

So the only thing faster than it is a Hybrid Smiley

I am me

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: VW's electric race car at it again
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 9:54am

Whilst its great its hardly a road going vehicle.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 11:38am

True but the  NIO EP9  is a road supercar EV and is in the top 10 fastest production cars for that track....
New all electric hypercars will be here later this year or next year and on spec even faster...
Fastest production car                  Lamborghini Aventador SVJ - 6:44.97s.
Fastest production Electric car       NIO EP9 at 6:45.90
No new ICE vehicles are on the horizon to go faster though. I think the engineers have just about peaked on how much power they can get out of internal combustion engines but still only starting on electric ones;)

I am me

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 10:55am

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 10:59am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jun 4th, 2019 at 11:38am:
True but the  NIO EP9  is a road supercar EV and is in the top 10 fastest production cars for that track....
New all electric hypercars will be here later this year or next year and on spec even faster...
No new ICE vehicles are on the horizon to go faster though. I think the engineers have just about peaked on how much power they can get out of internal combustion engines but still only starting on electric ones;)

Lol, this is false, several are on the horizon. Lots of hybrids.

Plus watch the vid, the I.D. R has one big issue, see if you can pick it.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:18am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 10:59am:

if they add a electric motor and some batteries they will get more out of a car, but not much more power out of a ICE motor....what is false about that ?

Yup it's owned by VW and they are a horrible company that care about profits more than the health of their customers... but ok ill watch it in the morning when I have my "bonus" data Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:24am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:18am:

if they add a electric motor and some batteries they will get more out of a car, but not much more power out of a ICE motor....what is false about that ?

Yup it's owned by VW and they are a horrible company that care about profits more than the health of their customers... but ok ill watch it in the morning when I have my "bonus" data Wink

That its not a purely electric car, plus why are you taking myone big issue comment as meaning I am anti-electric car. I'm not, I'm just not hyping them up beyond what they are capable of. And I'll let you in on it without watching. The battery loses power over the lap.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:01pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:24am:

That its not a purely electric car, plus why are you taking myone big issue comment as meaning I am anti-electric car. I'm not, I'm just not hyping them up beyond what they are capable of. And I'll let you in on it without watching. The battery loses power over the lap.

I had no issue about the video and as i said i'll look at it in morning when i'm on bonus data...

it was this Line

so how was my statement wrong about ICE vehicals not getting any faster and Internal combustion motors (ICE) not getting any more powerful... Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:06pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:01pm:

I had no issue about the video and as i said i'll look at it in morning when i'm on bonus data...

it was this Line

so how was my statement wrong about ICE vehicals not getting any faster and Internal combustion motors (ICE) not getting any more powerful... Wink

Easy, https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/7652/Gordon-Murray-Automotive-T.50.html

This will be quicker round the ring compared to the SVJ

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:23pm

I watched the video, just sounds like a slot car...
Did you mean the led display on the bottom left corner, I couldn't see it well enough.
Most car races only provide enough fuel to do the race, if you mean it was almost empty, that happens with every race car.

Think of Dragsters they only carry enough for 400m

It's all about weight... Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:25pm

Did you mean the led display on the bottom left corner, I couldn't see it well enough.

No I mean if you watch the video, the top speed of the car gradually goes down. At the Schwedenkruez its nearly 270 km/h, but at the long straight at Dottinger Hohe its 250 km/h.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:47pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:25pm:

No I mean if you watch the video, the top speed of the car gradually goes down. At the Schwedenkruez its nearly 270 km/h, but at the long straight at Dottinger Hohe its 250 km/h.

ahh, be interesting if VW go into more detail with that, was it intended or was there a problem, either way that shows room for improvement.... you would think it was heat related, either the battery or the motor, but just guessing..

With the whole propulsion system id say it would be a fine line between weight and reliability...Almost every car race I've seen has a few DNF's;)

I am me

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:51pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:47pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:25pm:

ahh, be interesting if VW go into more detail with that, was it intended or was there a problem, either way that shows room for improvement.... you would think it was heat related, either the battery or the motor, but just guessing. Wink

Its gotta be battery related. We know the efficiency drops as it heats up, they were employing special chambers to keep everything at 20 degrees.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:52pm

But what it does show is compared the 919 just how quick the acceleration was. It was 40 seconds slower than the 919 but the 919s top speed was 370.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #14 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 10:28am

Thinking about the times i realized the VW electric car beat the fastest ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicle ever on the track by 5 seconds, the only car faster than it has both a ICE motor and a electric motor (hybrid)

6:11.13  Porsche 956  Stefan Bellof  28 May 1983 he got this  racing, in the qualifying rounds...
6:05.336 the speed if the New VW EV.
So the first serious attempt of  a electric race car and on the toughest track in the world on its first attempt beats the best time of a ICE  by 5 sec's...
The car wasn't even built for this track , it was made to race on Pike's peak  and was modified to do Nürburgring

It looks like it was even having problems , slowing down .. Wink

As it's been said , EV's are still just starting to get fast and Batteries look to be the main hinderance with weight and overheating.... so as these are addressed expect exciting times in racing.... Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print