PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Make Oz Super Fertile
Jun 1st, 2019 at 2:27pm

BIOCHAR

Quote:
Biochar applications
Biochar has been popularised by its potential role in climate change mitigation. Biochar is rich in carbon and, depending on its ultimate use, the biochar may retain the carbon, thereby delaying or completely preventing the release of the carbon back into the atmosphere in the form of carbon dioxide gas. The benefits of biochar go beyond this, however, extending to the agricultural sector and to various types of waste management.

Furthermore, as outlined above, its production process co-generates biofuel, a sustainable renewable energy source.
Benefits to the agricultural sector and waste management

The agricultural sector can benefit from biochar in two ways: soil improvement and animal and crop waste disposal. Soil improvement, and therefore increased productivity, can be the driver behind biochar production and use. Since 1980, field trials have been taking place around the world experimenting with the application of biochar types on specific soils
LINK Oz Parliament

5 minute YouTube video:
WATCH

'Biochar -- Can It Save the Planet'

See photo comparison of poor, clay-ey, infertile soil and biochar enriched, super fertile soil

'
how climate change can potentially begin to be reversed within 20 years time with this method of creating charged charcoal that sequesters carbon from the atmosphere and enhances the soil, resulting with 800% increase in plant growth
'

12 minute YouTube video revealing how recently discovered Amazonian super cities supported large populations using biochar/terra preta
WATCH

Biochar Wiki HERE

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Make Oz Super Fertile
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 3:08pm

"David Keith, a professor at the University of Calgary and a geoengineering expert, thinks the save-the-planet hype of biochar falls apart when one looks into the details. “What does pure technical potential mean? It’s a meaningless concept,” he says. “The pure technical potential of lots of things is big enough to solve the climate problem. What matters is the relative utility.”

Keith says that in order to reach the amounts of biochar needed to have an effect on global climate systems, massive amounts of organic material would have to be gathered in central locations. Once that is the case, burning the biomass as a replacement for coal in power plants would make far more sense than burying it, he says.

“Why bury reduced carbon that has all that energy? It’s just senseless, unless you were in a world that needed no energy… You want to make a fuel if you’ve got a lot of carbon and you’re in a world that needs fuels.” If we could eventually add carbon capture and sequestration technologies to those plants burning the biomass, Keith adds, then the resulting greenhouse gas benefit would be almost twice as large as that yielded by burying the biochar."

https://e360.yale.edu/features/refilling_the_carbon_sink_biochars_potential_and_...

Other people have other opinions. Read the full text.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 3:21pm

My interest lies in increasing fertile land in Oz

In Secrets of the Soil, Thompkins details how European farmers for eons have filled cows' horns with cow dung and buried them in a certain position at certain phases of the moon.  They remain buried for x-months and afterwards, a small amount of the by then 'ambrosiac' contents of the cows' horns added to water and spread over the land results in greatly increased crop yields and soil fertility

In the same book, he details how rock dust, when added to the soil, can reverse dying trees, etc. 

We have a ton of land which could do with some reviving, whether it be via rock dust, manure from cows' horns or biochar

anything else is a bonus, imo

Quote:
Secrets of the Soil tells the fascinating story of the innovative, nontraditional, often surprising things that certain scientists, farmers, and mystics are doing to save our planet from self-destruction - such as using the techniques of Rudolf Steiner's biodynamic agriculture with its reliance on ethereal forces from the planets

author Peter Tompkins & Christopher Bird

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 3:44pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 3:21pm:
In Secrets of the Soil, Thompkins details how European farmers for eons have filled cows' horns with cow dung and buried them in a certain position at certain phases of the moon.  They remain buried for x-months and afterwards, a small amount of the by then 'ambrosiac' contents of the cows' horns added to water and spread over the land results in greatly increased crop yields and soil fertility

When I was young we put cow dung in a disused bath and "drowned" it. The liquid was eventually used for fertiliser and then when the cow dung completely broken down was spread on the roses.

It all depends on how much the processes can be upscaled.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 4:33pm

lee wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 3:44pm:

When I was young we put cow dung in a disused bath and "drowned" it. The liquid was eventually used for fertiliser and then when the cow dung completely broken down was spread on the roses.

The discarding of the bathub has exposed your British heritage.

Upscaling of cow's anus? Stimulation or simulation and automation?

How many bathtubs can be fitted in a 20-hectare farm?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 5:46pm

lee wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 3:44pm:

Peter Tompkins wrote The Secret Life of Plants back in the day.  He put sensitive thingos on plants then approached them with a lit match and dumped shrimp into boiling water in close proximity to plants.  In these and other instances, the thingos registered plant faintings, shock, etc.  He was denounced by the 'scientific community' as a charlatan of course

today and probably long before Tompkins' time, it was known that plants and trees communicate. They warn each other of impending disasters, plagues of insects, etc. 

A lot goes on beneath our noses, or maybe some of us are vaguely aware

The business with the cows' horns involves 'planting' them in a certain direction at a particular phase of the moon, certain season, etc.  Then they're left for a prescribed length of time.  When removed from the ground, the stinky cow poo has been transformed to what has been described as 'ambrosia'

I have the book here but too lazy right now to find it.  Read it years ago.  When the transformed cow poo is added to water it's stirred.  Some people sing a type of chant to it.  The stirring is conducted in a manner passed down and it differs from family to family.  But from what I remember, it's so many stirs to the right.  Then with a flourish, the stirring direction is reversed.  This is repeated x-times and walla --- magic brew

The Black Forest was dying.  maybe still is.  Someone knew or learned about rock-dust magic and when passing a quarry, spotted tons of rock-dust just going to waste.  He bought some and spread it around dying trees in the Black Forest.  Time passed and he kept his eye on it. After a few months it was discovered that the dying trees were rejuvenated and new growth was sprouting -- all in the area where he'd spread the rock dust.  He approached the government with evidence and said for not a lot of money, rock dust could be spread throughout the dying sections of forest.  This was agreed upon, but then for some reason i can't remember, the government pulled the plug

book went on to discuss someone living in one the US inhospitable regions.  A couple living there had created a garden of eden from barren, depleted dirt, by using rock dust.  Sounds contradictory but it must mean the rock dust contains minerals washed out of standing dirt

The biochar interests me a lot and brought to mind an article recently which said in Canberra, biofuel/energy is being extracted from buried landfill.  I posted the article here a couple of weeks ago

it also reminded me of when they were breaking down and remaking the Gold Coast.  When they planned to create a new development, they bulldozed everything standing, set it alight then dozed dirt and mud over the top.  It caused a problem as it turned out because a lot of the big trees continued to smoulder beneath the dirt.  On the surface everything looked fine.  At Palm Waters Gardens they built several nice looking homes which were prizes in the Mater Prize Homes lotteries, from memory.  Several years later, the local paper ran a series of exposes because the prize homes were subsiding, had big cracks through the walls, etc.  It was because the big trees had left voids after they'd finished slowly burning away underground.  Guess the soil beneath those developments would have become biochar

Here in Oz, we could create biochar to supplement our meagre arable soil.  All we'd need in addition to biological waste would be the Amazonian worms they mention in the links.  Freedom from chemicals

for those lacking land to experiment, biochar can be purchased, I discovered (am planning to buy some).  But imagine what someone with a few acres could do.  Bit by bit, we could turn this country into the world's food basket. We could create forests of precious woods -- anything we put our minds to

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 11:27am

PZ547 wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 5:46pm:
today and probably long before Tompkins' time, it was known that plants and trees communicate. They warn each other of impending disasters, plagues of insects, etc. 

I think this belongs in the Fringe forum

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 11:34am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 2nd, 2019 at 11:27am:

You're always having a go at me

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 12:14pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 2nd, 2019 at 11:34am:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 2nd, 2019 at 11:27am:

You're always having a go at me

That's because of all the wacky pseudoscience and conspiracy theories that you believe in.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 4:21pm

"Retraction Note to: Immobilization of Heavy Metals in e-Waste Contaminated Soils by Combined Application of Biochar and Phosphate Fertilizer"

"The authors have retracted this article. After publication they became aware that the data for cattle manure biochar reported in this article are actually data for rice straw biochar. The results, discussion and conclusions are therefore invalid. All authors agree with the retraction."

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11270-019-4179-9

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 7:52am

Upscaling permaculture techniques, green manure, crop rotation and less tilling all seem to be good practices for better soil, instead of relying on made up fertilizers. Wink

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:53am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 7:52am:
Upscaling permaculture techniques, green manure, crop rotation and less tilling all seem to be good practices for better soil, instead of relying on made up fertilizers

Which "made up" fertilisers would they be? The ones that have been around for thousands of years but are now manufactured rather than waiting on nature?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:57am

lee wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:53am:
DonDeeHippy wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 7:52am:
Upscaling permaculture techniques, green manure, crop rotation and less tilling all seem to be good practices for better soil, instead of relying on made up fertilizers

Which "made up" fertilisers would they be? The ones that have been around for thousands of years but are now manufactured rather than waiting on nature?

yup those one Lee  Wink

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:08pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:57am:
Topic Summary - Displaying 13 post(s). Click here to show all
Posted by: DonDeeHippy        Posted on: Today at 9:57am
lee wrote Today at 9:53am:
DonDeeHippy wrote Today at 5:52am:

yup those one

So not "made up". Thanks. Wink

But would you rather waste what is a useful by-product of manufacture?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 1:12pm

lee wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 12:08pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:57am:
Topic Summary - Displaying 13 post(s). Click here to show all
Posted by: DonDeeHippy        Posted on: Today at 9:57am
lee wrote Today at 9:53am:
DonDeeHippy wrote Today at 5:52am:

yup those one

So not "made up". Thanks. Wink

But would you rather waste what is a useful by-product of manufacture?

I see your itching for a fight Lee... Grin
I don't think just buying in fertilizers is the best way to manage farmland, it looks like many farmers agree with me and there are more and more success stories where they have made their farmlands more fertile by better land management. Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print