Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Malaysia to Send Tons of Plastic Waste Back (Read 503 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Malaysia to Send Tons of Plastic Waste Back
May 29th, 2019 at 12:43am

... to Australia. The export of waste was implemented without Malaysian government approval.

There must be very much more than 3000 tonnes.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/malaysia-to-send-tons-of-plastic-waste-back-to-the...

Quote:
Malaysia to Send Tons of Plastic Waste Back to the U.S.
Jamie Ross

Reuters / Lai Seng Sin
More than 3,000 tons of plastic waste sent to Malaysia by Western countries is going to be sent straight back. The non-recyclable plastic waste will be shipped back to the U.S., the U.K., Canada, and Australia to avoid Malaysia becoming a “dumping ground to the world,” according to the country’s environment minister. Yeo Bee Yin said Tuesday that 60 containers full of contaminated waste were smuggled into the country. They held cables from the U.K., milk cartons from Australia, and bales of waste from the U.S., Canada, Japan, Saudi Arabia, and China. Yeo said some of the waste seems to have been first sent to China, but then rerouted to Malaysia after China banned plastic waste imports. “This is probably just the tip of the iceberg [due] to the banning of plastic waste by China,” said Yeo. “Malaysia will not be a dumping ground to the world... we will fight back. Even though we are a small country, we can’t be bullied by developed countries.”

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Malaysia to Send Tons of Plastic Waste Back
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2019 at 7:21am

Quote:
One year ago, China stopped accepting most American scrap plastic and cardboard, throwing a wrench into U.S. recycling programs. Now, cities and towns across the U.S. are dealing with piles of homeless plastic with no clear destination.

Many have stopped recycling altogether or dramatically scaled back their recycling programs. Douglas County, Oregon, stopped accepting plastic and glass recycling this summer. Phenix City, Alabama, curtailed its recycling program. Philadelphia is still picking up recyclables but is burning as much as half of the materials. Small materials processors in communities from Hancock, Maine, to Kingsport, Tennessee, are shutting down, unable to support the higher costs of recycling programs.

Some cities are choosing to continue recycling, but they're paying much more for it. In Fort Worth, Texas, the recycling program earned the city $1 million two years ago. This year, it's projected to lose $1.6 million.

"Right now it feels like we're in the thick of a slow-moving recycling crisis," said Martin Bourque, executive director of The Ecology Center, a nonprofit based in Berkeley, California. "The scrap materials that are coming out of municipal recycling programs are either ... being stockpiled and waiting for new markets to emerge or going to landfill temporarily," he said.

Historically, the U.S. has shipped about half of its scrap plastic and cardboard overseas. In 2016, 760 million tons of our scrap plastic went to China, but that figure plummeted by 95 percent last year after China tightened its standards for the recycling materials it would accept. It imposed drastic new rules for the level of "contamination," or non-recyclables, acceptable in a shipment. The most a plastic bale can contain is one-tenth of 1 percent.

U.S. processors responded by shifting exports south a few degrees, to Southeast Asia. But the sheer scale of the scrap led many of those countries to impose their own plastic bans. Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia and most recently India have all banned scrap plastic imports since last fall.

Bales of recycling floating around the world searching for a buyer have created a massive crunch for U.S. cities -- even for communities that don't send their stuff to China.

California, where the high cost of land has made it cheaper to recycle than send trash to the landfill, is one of the hardest-hit states. "A year ago we were getting paid $100 a ton for mixed paper, and sending it to landfill would have cost $50 or $60," said Borque. "Now, good paper pricing is $20 a ton, and some people are having to pay to get rid of it."

That example is being repeated hundreds of times over the country. For many environmental advocates, these examples are proof that large-scale recycling was never so great to begin with. Much of the plastics sorted out to be recycled was already sent to landfills, while much of what was sent to China was likely burned, environmentalists say.

"All the major brands, and the plastic packaging industry, have been telling us that everything's recyclable," he said. "But the reality is a lot of it is too low-grade, too low-value, too hard to sort."

It turns out that combining many types of recyclables together -- even when the items themselves are clean, which is less common than ideal -- can often result in so-called contamination, rendering everything in the bin un-recyclable. Glass and cardboard are both easy to recycle individually. But combined in one bin, the glass often breaks into shards and embeds into the cardboard, creating something that can't be recycled. 

On top of that is what waste pros call "aspirational recycling" -- consumers throwing items willy-nilly into the recycling bin because they think, or hope, they can be recycled. At Republic Services, the nation's second-largest waste hauler, as much as 30 percent of what's in the recycling trucks isn't recyclable.

"Garden hoses, blue jeans, wire," said Richard Coupland, the company's vice president of municipal services. "A walk on the tip floor will shock you."

But even improved recycling will, at best, merely put a dent in the pileup of homeless plastic waste. So the pressure is increasing on the plastic creators -- large consumer goods companies -- to cut down on packaging or eliminate it altogether.
Said Bourque: "We can't recycle our way out of plastic pollution."

LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2019 at 7:34am

Sometimes I buy stuff and its in 3 layers of packaging, usual 2 plastic with a thin carboard outer, if I do ,the next time I try to find a item with less waste …. I don't know how to stop this except not buy the product...
Government intervention always seem to bring more problems than it cures....

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2019 at 12:46pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 12:43am:
. to Australia. The export of waste was implemented without Malaysian government approval.

Jamie Ross

Reuters / Lai Seng Sin
More than 3,000 tons of plastic waste sent to Malaysia by Western countries is going to be sent straight back

And they are going to send it all back here? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - May 29th, 2019 at 1:23pm

lee wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 12:46pm:
. to Australia. The export of waste was implemented without Malaysian government approval.

Jamie Ross

Reuters / Lai Seng Sin
More than 3,000 tons of plastic waste sent to Malaysia by Western countries is going to be sent straight back

And they are going to send it all back here? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

What's lee's address?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2019 at 1:39pm

C/o LTYC. Wink

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 29th, 2019 at 4:56pm

Keating was right, the Malaysians are a bunch of recalcitrants, they should be proud of taking all of our crap and making a few bux to boot.

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #7 - May 29th, 2019 at 8:24pm

Recycling....the planets second largest fraud, following only global cooling/warming/climate change/ climate weirding/climate extremes/climate emergency....did I miss any?

Back to recycling, who would have ever thought that valueless trash could be reprocessed and value added profitably. You can't make this stuff up.  Follow the money to the rent seekers.

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #8 - May 29th, 2019 at 8:27pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 7:34am:
Sometimes I buy stuff and its in 3 layers of packaging, usual 2 plastic with a thin carboard outer, if I do ,the next time I try to find a item with less waste …. I don't know how to stop this except not buy the product...
Government intervention always seem to bring more problems than it cures....

Yes, government is the problem, never the solution.  Any solution which begins with The Government should.........just stop there Jim, no good will come of this.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #9 - May 30th, 2019 at 12:13pm

This trash will end up in the sea.

Malaysia doesn't have any corporations that value social responsibility.

For that matter, neither does Australia for having the belief that Malaysians could recycle and make a profit out of trash the Chinese rejected.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print