Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The term ‘climate denier” is disgusting (Read 3621 times)
Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The term ‘climate denier” is disgusting
Reply #45 - May 31st, 2019 at 10:01pm

matty wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 3:24pm:
I am disgusted by the far-left using the term “climate denier”. Whether or not you believe in climate change is besides the point here, this is a clear reference to the term “holocaust denier”, to those idiots on the far-right who deny that the Holocaust ever happened, despite the clear verified documentation and evidence that it did.

To make matters even worse, the same people who use this term were also some of the ones who condemned Fraser Anning for using the term “final solution” in his speech about Muslims. What Anning said was indeed appalling and too should have been condemned, but the hypocrisy is staggering.

I agree, Matty, I despise the term climate denier. It is, after all, a lot of hooey, animal welfare policies notwithstanding.

But the Holocaust? Who cares? The Jews control the world.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #46 - May 31st, 2019 at 10:06pm

lee wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 9:11pm:
Dnarever wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 7:53pm:
Want to know who the pedant is ? I have an answer for that one.

So it is NOT accurate. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Of course it is. You would obviously agree.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #47 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 12:42am

lee wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 7:49pm:
Dnarever wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 7:27pm:
Quote:
The term ‘climate denier” is disgusting

But accurate.

So who exactly has denied climate? Or even that climate changes? Roll Eyes

The "climate is changing because of human activity" argument is as plausible as someone pushing a car that is already being driven at 10kmh. Sure, there is influence from the person pushing. But, the car is already in motion.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #48 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 7:07am

The only Climate denier I see post regularly is Bobby, He is always posting local weather events as evidence that the climate is changing Smiley Cheesy

I am me

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #49 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 8:53am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 7:07am:
The only Climate denier I see post regularly is Bobby, He is always posting local weather events as evidence that the climate is changing Smiley Cheesy

That's because record cold temperatures cannot be ignored.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-31/cold-morning-in-southern-queensland/11166...

Southern Queensland towns record coldest May morning.

Several May temperature records have been broken with a winter blast hitting southern Queensland overnight.

Applethorpe, Oakey and Dalby have all had their coldest May mornings on record.

The temperature plummeted to -6.1 in Applethorpe, –2.1 degrees below its previous record 13 years ago.

Oakey near Toowoomba dropped to -4.4, which was 0.3 of a degree cooler than its previous record in 2006.

Dalby on the Western Downs had its
coldest morning since 1911, recording -3.6.

Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Gabriel Branescu said it was milder in the state's south-east.

"In Brisbane, while it was 8 degrees this morning, with the chill factor it felt like less than five degrees," he said.

"The feel like temperature at the airport in Brisbane was -1.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #50 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 9:22am

matty wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 3:24pm:
I am disgusted by the far-left using the term “climate denier”. Whether or not you believe in climate change is besides the point here, this is a clear reference to the term “holocaust denier”, to those idiots on the far-right who deny that the Holocaust ever happened, despite the clear verified documentation and evidence that it did.

To make matters even worse, the same people who use this term were also some of the ones who condemned Fraser Anning for using the term “final solution” in his speech about Muslims. What Anning said was indeed appalling and too should have been condemned, but the hypocrisy is staggering.

The oligarchy with all their wealth have invented this phrase "climate denier", they are preparing a golden goose that will hatch golden eggs for them, they want to get it up and running asap before the next little ice age.

The sceptics all believe in climate change and that the climate is always that is always changing.

What the sceptics don't believe or are sceptical about is ANTHROPOGENIC GLOBAL WARMING and that mans emissions of CO2 are solely responsible for the current warming spell.

Quite simple really don't have to be a scientist to work it.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 11:36am

Dnarever wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 10:06pm:

No petal. You accused me of being a pedant. I wear that label proudly. But having been accused of being that pedant, it means I was right. That it is inaccurate.

Or are you one of those who believes words should be infinitely malleable? Are you a Humpty Dumpty?

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”

― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #52 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 1:36pm

lee wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 11:36am:
Dnarever wrote on May 31st, 2019 at 10:06pm:

No petal. You accused me of being a pedant. I wear that label proudly. But having been accused of being that pedant, it means I was right. That it is inaccurate.

Or are you one of those who believes words should be infinitely malleable? Are you a Humpty Dumpty?

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

’The question is,’ said Alice, ‘whether you can make words mean so many different things.’

’The question is,’ said Humpty Dumpty, ‘which is to be master — that’s all.”

― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

You accused me of being a pedant. I wear that label proudly.

As I doubt that anyone would disagree you need to wear it well. (Madam Onassis has nothing on you).

The rest of the rubbish you posted is just that.

To pedantically insist that a strict dictionary meaning be used to define the term Climate denier is obviously being less than genuine.

The term used in well known context is used to refer to people who deny the reality of human caused climate change. In this case there is a difference between pedantic dictionary meaning (denying the existence of climate) and common fully understood usage over several decades.

In fact your silly Humpty Dumpty reference is in-genuine at best - the fully understood wide common usage is well understood and not flexible at all.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 1:48pm

Dnarever wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 1:36pm:
To pedantically insist that a strict dictionary meaning be used to define the term Climate denier is obviously being less than genuine.

No petal words have meanings. What don't you understand about that?

The term used in well known context is used to refer to people who deny the reality of human caused climate change. In this case there is a difference between pedantic dictionary meaning (denying the existence of climate) and common fully understood usage over several decades.

Ah, You mean by that subset of humans known as climate alarmists.  So their alteration of the meaning of words should stand.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

In fact your silly Humpty Dumpty reference is in-genuine at best - the fully understood wide common usage is well understood and not flexible at all.

I think you mean ingenuous. And yet it must be flexible to incorporate only those who don't agree that AGW is catastrophic. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #54 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 8:00pm

lee wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 1:48pm:

Ah, You mean by that subset of humans known as climate alarmists.  So their alteration of the meaning of words should stand.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

No what I mean is that you fully understand what people using that term mean. Your insistence on replacing what you know is factually meant by the dictionary meaning is dishonest.

This does not mean that people have to agree with global warming to comprehend what is being said without hopelessly but deliberately misinterpreting what they mean.

This isn't something that you do not understand.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 8:50pm

Dnarever wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 8:00pm:
No what I mean is that you fully understand what people using that term mean.

So I should take notice of people who believe in the malleability of the written word, even if they have the wrong meaning. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Your insistence on replacing what you know is factually meant by the dictionary meaning is dishonest.

No petal. Words have meaning. you can't just change the meaning on a whim. Wink

This does not mean that people have to agree with global warming to comprehend what is being said without hopelessly but deliberately misinterpreting what they mean.

Nor does it mean that people may mangle the language to give words a different one from their ordinary meaning.

You're right about that. I understand very well that alarmists try to mangle the language precisely to give a different meaning to ordinary usage. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #56 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 10:00pm

lee wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 8:50pm:
No what I mean is that you fully understand what people using that term mean.

So I should take notice of people who believe in the malleability of the written word, even if they have the wrong meaning. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Your insistence on replacing what you know is factually meant by the dictionary meaning is dishonest.

Nor does it mean that people may mangle the language to give words a different one from their ordinary meaning.

You're right about that. I understand very well that alarmists try to mangle the language precisely to give a different meaning to ordinary usage. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Quote:

Really - you can either use your brain and accept the common accepted usage or look at a dictionary, they both agree with my view on this.

You likely don't remember when gay was a girls name and also meant to be Happy and care free.

Yes words are actually fluid.

Current accepted view on Climate Denier.

Quote:
Oxford dictionary (Living)

climate denier
NOUN

A person who rejects the proposition that climate change caused by human activity is occurring.

Dictionary.com

Quote:
climate denier[ klahy-mit di-nahy-er ]SHOW IPA

noun

a person who does not accept the existence or validity of climate change:
Most of the summit protestors are climate deniers.

‘he attacked climate deniers for ‘bamboozling’ the public’

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 10:30pm

Dnarever wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 10:00pm:
Really - you can either use your brain and accept the common accepted usage or look at a dictionary, they both agree with my view on this.

Nope. Common accepted usage is that denial is well denial. So therefore Climate Denial would be denying Climate. Anything else is sophistry.

Words have meanings.

You likely don't remember when gay was a girls name and also meant to be Happy and care free.

Yes petal I do. And that was hijacked to mean something else as well. Wink

So tell me if gays are happy why are their suicide statistics so high?

Yes words are actually fluid.

yes petal. But not infinitely malleable.

Oxford dictionary

Oh Oxford. that largely left-leaning University. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

But really who denies climate changes? Who denies that man has some effect on climate?

You have heard of land use change, deforestation etc. They affect climate. So by definition that is AGW. climate change. AGW presupposes that the change is global. However the evidence points to it being regional. Wink

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #58 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 10:49pm

Just keep digging that hole you should come out at stupid.

Now we have left leaning dictionaries - OH Please.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 11:24pm

Dnarever wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 10:49pm:
Just keep digging that hole you should come out at stupid.

ooh. That was very nearly almost amusing. You are improving.

Dnarever wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 10:49pm:
Now we have left leaning dictionaries - OH Please.

You obviously don't read well. Nowhere did I say that. Grin Grin Grin Grin

So tell me why do alarmists like to call warmists, climate deniers? I mean warmists do say that anthropogenic climate change is real. They just say it is not catastrophic.

So where does that sit on the new "climate denier" line? Just how much denial is enough?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print