Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
If that proposition by Plato is correct..... (Read 4485 times)
Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
If that proposition by Plato is correct.....
May 27th, 2019 at 9:09am

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."

- Plato (427-347 BC)

Wouldn't we all enjoy greater personal freedoms and safety [for the majority], if collectively, we determined [and agreed] to enable laws, to remove [from a society of men] those persons who negligently or intentionally cause harm to others ?

Under such a regime [of actively seeking to permanently remove the 'wolves' from any society],
wouldn't such a society of men be more likely to achieve a peaceful, prosperous, and harmonious political state, for that society of men ?

e.g.
Permanently remove murderers from society.

Permanently remove persistent thieves.

Permanently remove those who [without cause] persistently assault and cause harm to others.

PROPOSITION;
Where men and women come together to live in a society, for the sake of their mutual benefit [and safety],
wouldn't a primary objective for that collective society of men be;

1/ To keep the meadow safe, for the sheep.

2/ To ban the wolves [from having access to the meadow].

?

'the meadow' = = any society of men

'the sheep' = = peaceful, productive people/citizens.

'wolves' = = 'predators'

PROPOSITION;
There can be no peace and there can be no safety [for any group of sheep], if the sheep are willing to permit wolves to enter their meadow, and predate upon the sheep [....as we know all wolves are want to do].

?

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2019 at 9:18am by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: If that proposition by Plato is correct.....
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2019 at 6:11pm

To 'serve' in Heaven
or
'Reign' in Hell.

Both are the same for he who reigns is in heaven and those that serve are also in  hell.
Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2019 at 7:16pm

Where justice reigns, 'tis freedom to obey.

- James Montgomery

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2019 at 11:49pm

Heaven and Hell are one and the same.
God is Satan is God is Satan.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

None of your damn business
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2019 at 12:52pm

Yadda wrote on May 27th, 2019 at 9:09am:

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."

- Plato (427-347 BC)

Wouldn't we all enjoy greater personal freedoms and safety [for the majority], if collectively, we determined [and agreed] to enable laws, to remove [from a society of men] those persons who negligently or intentionally cause harm to others ?

Under such a regime [of actively seeking to permanently remove the 'wolves' from any society],
wouldn't such a society of men be more likely to achieve a peaceful, prosperous, and harmonious political state, for that society of men ?

e.g.
Permanently remove murderers from society.

Permanently remove persistent thieves.

Permanently remove those who [without cause] persistently assault and cause harm to others.

PROPOSITION;
Where men and women come together to live in a society, for the sake of their mutual benefit [and safety],
wouldn't a primary objective for that collective society of men be;

1/ To keep the meadow safe, for the sheep.

2/ To ban the wolves [from having access to the meadow].

?

'the meadow' = = any society of men

'the sheep' = = peaceful, productive people/citizens.

'wolves' = = 'predators'

PROPOSITION;
There can be no peace and there can be no safety [for any group of sheep], if the sheep are willing to permit wolves to enter their meadow, and predate upon the sheep [....as we know all wolves are want to do].

?

The problem with this, in my experience, is that the 'sheep' aren't the best judge of character.

How long before the 'sheep herder' becomes a 'wolf' for trying to keep his meadow safe from predators?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2019 at 1:12pm

The Reboot wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 12:52pm:
The problem with this, in my experience, is that the 'sheep' aren't the best judge of character.

How long before the 'sheep herder' becomes a 'wolf' for trying to keep his meadow safe from predators?

Nailed it.

I was thinking of a way to say that, and you expressed it perfectly.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2019 at 1:49pm

Watch out Reboot.
He's onto you.  Wink

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2019 at 11:08am

Jasin wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 1:49pm:
Watch out Reboot.
He's onto you.  Wink

According to the lemon party here, I wouldn't be his type?  Cheesy

IP Logged

Super Nova

Everywhere
Reply #8 - May 29th, 2019 at 4:07pm

- Plato (427-347 BC)

Even good people need laws, they are the foundation of a society.

Also there are bad law made by the do gooders who will with good intention tell everyone how to live their lives.

One could break the law and later be a valuable member of a society.

Society needs those people who will disrupt to allow a society to evolve. Are they bad, not always.

If the law says, thou shall not kill in any circumstances and someone bad threatens your family... I would break the law.

There are countries with law to outlawing unmarried sex, being gay, wife not obeying a mans command, rape is Ok if it is your wife ...etc. Does breaking these laws make you bad.

We need wolfs and the sheep need to toughen up.

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2019 at 4:16pm

Super Nova wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 4:07pm:
- Plato (427-347 BC)

Also there are bad law made by the do gooders who will with good intention tell everyone how to live their lives.

Society needs those people who will disrupt to allow a society to evolve. Are they bad, not always.

If the law says, thou shall not kill in any circumstances and someone bad threatens your family... I would break the law.

There are countries with law to outlawing unmarried sex, being gay, wife not obeying a mans command, rape is Ok if it is your wife ...etc. Does breaking these laws make you bad.

Brilliant.

I don't define good and bad according to the standards that governments and society sets.

In fact, I find the Australian "justice" system to be a complete farce that is by proxy evil due to its tendency to keep dumping pieces of shite paedos on our streets to reoffend. "They" try to make out like they are "taking the high road", by giving these shitecunts a "second chance" and treating them like victims.

Like many things, I suppose it's about perspective.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - May 29th, 2019 at 4:19pm

Quote:
- Plato (427-347 BC)

The problem is that dividing the world into "Good" and "Bad" people is overly simplistic and isn't realist.
It is a myth that the gun lobby like to perpetuate that "good" people need guns as protection from "bad" people

As with most things in life it is more of a spectrum. With the majority of people in the middle. They are "good" in the right circumstances but "bad" in the wrong circumstances.

And that is why we still need laws

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Super Nova

Everywhere
Reply #11 - May 29th, 2019 at 4:38pm

The Reboot wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 4:16pm:
Super Nova wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 4:07pm:
- Plato (427-347 BC)

Brilliant.

I don't define good and bad according to the standards that governments and society sets.

In fact, I find the Australian "justice" system to be a complete farce that is by proxy evil due to its tendency to keep dumping pieces of shite paedos on our streets to reoffend. "They" try to make out like they are "taking the high road", by giving these shitecunts a "second chance" and treating them like victims.

Like many things, I suppose it's about perspective.

If these bad people cannot be reformed like "shite paedos" then they should be removed from society and I don't agree they should be released.

Some deserve the death penalty IMO but that is a different debate.

We need wolf like people to keep the bad wolfs in check. I think of it like this analogy.

Sheep are protected by Good wolfs while surrounded by bad wolfs. Somedays the bad wolfs make a kill. But most of the sheep get to blissfully live their mundane existence unaware that it is the good wolfs that keep them safe.

Maybe more like Bristle Hound (I think he was his name) rather than Good Wolfs. Dog are from wolfs anyway.

« Last Edit: May 29th, 2019 at 6:34pm by Super Nova »  
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - May 29th, 2019 at 7:16pm

There are Bad, Evil, Good & Pure people.

A Bad person learns from making a mistake for he/she has not the 'instruction' book of rules to guide them to success which the Good person follows.
But a Bad person is someone who isn't afraid to make a mistake in the pursuit of life and thus learns to cut his/her own  path in life. While the Good person follows the path chosen for them and if it ends, they just wait there - until given further instruction, unable to know how to make their own path.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Evil does something bad, but does it again and again - fully aware of what he/she is doing, is wrong, but doesn't care.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - May 29th, 2019 at 7:18pm

The Reboot wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 11:08am:
Jasin wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 1:49pm:
Watch out Reboot.
He's onto you.  Wink

According to the lemon party here, I wouldn't be his type?  Cheesy

*drinks a glass of lemonade and winks "I know what you mean"
Wink  Cheesy

IP Logged

Super Nova

Everywhere
Reply #14 - May 29th, 2019 at 7:22pm

Jasin wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 7:16pm:

A Bad person learns from making a mistake for he/she has not the 'instruction' book of rules to guide them to success which the Good person follows.
But a Bad person is someone who isn't afraid to make a mistake in the pursuit of life and thus learns to cut his/her own  path in life. While the Good person follows the path chosen for them and if it ends, they just wait there - until given further instruction, unable to know how to make their own path.

Evil does something bad, but does it again and again - fully aware of what he/she is doing, is wrong, but doesn't care.

Interesting addition of Evil vs Bad.

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - May 30th, 2019 at 11:24am

I'm not sure if there is such thing as a "pure" person.

Sure, there's "good" people with good intentions. But even the bible says the the entire human race was a sin. We are sinners the moment our father's sperm meets our mother's eggs. Super Nova wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 4:38pm:
If these bad people cannot be reformed like "shite paedos" then they should be removed from society and I don't agree they should be released.

We need wolf like people to keep the bad wolfs in check. I think of it like this analogy.

Sheep are protected by Good wolfs while surrounded by bad wolfs. Somedays the bad wolfs make a kill. But most of the sheep get to blissfully live their mundane existence unaware that it is the good wolfs that keep them safe.

Maybe more like Bristle Hound (I think he was his name) rather than Good Wolfs. Dog are from wolfs anyway.

I absolutely agree.

"Good" people with the intentions of being pure don't have the spine to defend the flock of sheep in the way that a wolf would. They live under a fallacy that they will receive more moral brownie points if they 'turn the other cheek'.

When in reality they are simply a doormat to be trodden on and the brownie points are obsolete.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - May 30th, 2019 at 2:16pm

Super Nova wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 7:22pm:

Interesting addition of Evil vs Bad.

Good example is the movie PITCH BLACK with Riddick being the 'convict' who fights 'Evil' from both sides.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #17 - May 30th, 2019 at 2:18pm

The Reboot wrote on May 30th, 2019 at 11:24am:

Sure, there's "good" people with good intentions. But even the bible says the the entire human race was a sin. We are sinners the moment our father's sperm meets our mother's eggs. Super Nova wrote on May 29th, 2019 at 4:38pm:

I absolutely agree.

"Good" people with the intentions of being pure don't have the spine to defend the flock of sheep in the way that a wolf would. They live under a fallacy that they will receive more moral brownie points if they 'turn the other cheek'.

When in reality they are simply a doormat to be trodden on and the brownie points are obsolete.

No.
Only the human race within the realm of Religion was of 'sin'.

For the Aboriginals were 'pure' - untouched by Sin (Religion), until 1788 so to speak.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - May 30th, 2019 at 7:25pm

Yes

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - May 30th, 2019 at 7:32pm

there hasn't been a society that has survived without rules and laws. Plato was stoned when he came up with that claim.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - May 30th, 2019 at 8:49pm

Jasin wrote on May 30th, 2019 at 2:18pm:
The Reboot wrote on May 30th, 2019 at 11:24am:

I absolutely agree.

No.

For the Aboriginals were 'pure' - untouched by Sin (Religion), until 1788 so to speak.

See, doesn't that right there just prove that white = evil?
The Nazi was created to be our mascot - even if we never asked for it.  Wink

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #21 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 11:04pm

You are suggesting [imo] that creatures without 'the realm of Religion', cannot know what sin is.

I do not agree.

Chimpanzees engage in [expansionist] territorial wars.

I would argue [i can't readily prove it], that even though they are chimpanzees ['wild animals'], they know that such behaviour [warfare with, and killing other chimpanzees] is immoral [wrong].

How so ?

I would argue [though i can't readily prove it], that chimpanzees are creatures with a conscience.

HANG ON!.....
Maybe i can prove it demonstrate that creatures like this, know the difference between right and wrong !
------ >
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1556277928/0#0

Rubbish.

Aboriginal people [just like the Europeans who came later and invaded this 'southern land'], knew about warfare, conquest, murder, and rape.

Aboriginal people know [and knew] the difference between right and wrong !

They knew what 'sin' was.

And all Aboriginal people were [and are] endowed with a conscience, just as are all of the white fellas who came later.

BUT HOW DID THEY KNOW  ?!
[and how do we know the difference between right and wrong, and between what is good, and what is evil  ?!]

Because every creature and every human being, knows how they would prefer to be treated, themselves.

Don't they ?

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1556277928/0#0

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Jun 2nd, 2019 at 10:38am

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 1:00pm

Listen Yadda.
Don't try to throw a curve ball with an extreme use of Chimpanzee's.  Roll Eyes
Why not try Newts then?  Roll Eyes

No. In the 'Human' world. The concept and confinement of 'Sin' as a tool of control over others is a Middle-Eastern innovation that has slowly moved over the world in x4 different styles: Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity and Mohommedism.

Pre 1788 Aboriginal Australia was an existence of 'Harmony' with no 'wars' or 'suicide' and 'Law' was minor facet that was acted on with punishment in rare occurrences. Mostly, everyone got on well and Clans worked together for the greater good. In fact, they had the best example of a 'Democracy' too - that only Europeans and other Regions could only dream of having in their rotten existences of 'suffering' for Sin.

Pre-1788 Australia was a 'Pure' existence where there was no 'Few' who had domination of the 'many' like what Religion, Military, Politics, etc had in other regions at the time. Even South America used 'drugs' to do its dirty work over the masses.

Tolkien himself would have agreed that the Pre-1788 Aboriginal existence would have been akin to the 'Elvish' existence in his novel works: One with the Land (Gaea).
They lived in the 'Garden' from which the Jews Adam & Eve fell from.

"...and to eat from the Tree of 'Life' and be Gods like 'us'"
Wink "...and live 'forever'"

Yadda. You only see the world with but a 1/4 lens via your Religion (Christianity). If you saw it through the lenses of Zoroastrianism, Judaism & Mohommedism as well - you might see the 'full view'.
But even then, Religion is just 1/16th of what exists in this World as a whole. Even Western 'Political' is but 1/16th as well.  Wink

Btw - the New Worlds of N.America the Avian, South America the Serpent and Sahul the Fish will one day 'liberate' the Middle-East to its 'true' Religion beyond the Judaism for Asia, Christianity for Europe and Mohommedism for Africa (The Old Worlds).

Trust me. I've met a 'Sin of Ur' (Sinner) or two in my time and they've been waiting a very long time indeed.  Wink

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 1:29pm

Gee to appear to talk crap sometimes, JaSin  Wink

Aborigines maintained territory through tribal warfare as you cannot fail to be aware

they were brutal in fact.  Little girls -- and I mean very young girls -- were given to old men -- and I mean much older men --- as 'brides/wives'.  In fact there's a famous photograph around, which was publicised not too long ago, which showed a 40-ish aboriginal male with his litttle toddler bride on his shoulders.  She was too little and too young to walk

likewise, little boys were given to haggard old lubras as 'husbands'

as time went on, the old spouses died or were killed, after which their by now much older child spouses were given little children as sex-object spouses.  And that's the cycle, repeat endlessly

a priest in the Norther Territory attempted to save a bunch of little children from such a fate early last century from memory.  It was something of a landmark case

Birth control consisted of dropping a newborn from the loins and leaving it where it lay for the dingos.  The Aborigine had by then regressed so far that they no longer had the acumen to connect sex with pregnancy

Aboriginal women/girls/boys were flogged and mistreated to within an inch of their lives.  Females were valued less than a dingo, unless of course, she absconded, at which point she was regarded as property and wars, retribution and punishment for the female in question if she was unfortunate enough to be recaptured by her tribe's menfolk

It was not an idyllic race by any means -- unless of course you subscribe to the ridiculously censored crap doing the rounds of late

and while we're at it, how do you imagine the Aboriginal pygmy that I told you about a few months ago disappeared/were rendered extinct as a separate group?  I'm pretty sure that in the material I linked then, it was stated they were terrified of the full size Abos who hunted them down

as to 'sin' and it being imposed by religion, it's my belief that most creatures, in their own way, demonstrate empathy

sociopaths, psychopaths, narcissists --- they lack empathy which is why they are as they are.  In fact, that trio enjoys the suffering of others, be they human, animal or other

empathy causes a creature/human/other to understand the emotions experienced or suffered by others

if a human does something to cause suffering to another (animal or human) that human understands that suffering and regrets inflicting such a painful emotion on something else.  That regret usually results in the human seeking to avoid inflicting similar suffering on anything else

you see it with children.  They might poke the cat with a stick and when they see the pain or hurt feelings suffered by the cat, you will often notice pain in the child's own eyes.  It regrets what it did.  That's how it learns not to hurt others

A wish to not hurt others (humans, animals) could be described as an awareness, an understanding, of 'sin'

little kids don't know about sin or what sin is supposed to be. But they possess empathy and that's what leads them to discriminate between, roughly speaking, 'right and wrong'

Anyone who is not a narcissist or psychopath or sociopath has a fair understanding of right and wrong -- even those who've had no religious education or eschew religion altogether

religion is merely an attempt to formalise society's beliefs & understanding as to right and wrong, punishment, etc.   All the garb, the control mechanisms etc. could be scrapped with no real loss other than to those who profit and benefit from the show-biz elements

the Zoroastrians' primary belief was 'Right thoughts, right actions, right speech'.  Those simple instructions alone would be sufficient to promote a decent life, decent behaviour in anyone not a mental case, a narcissist, a sociopath or psychopath

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 7:02pm

No PZ547.
I will hold little respect for any 'white-washed' accounts of Aboriginal peoples.
I give the majority of my perception of them, from their own accounts and passing down of knowledge.
Of the 'white' interpretation - I do hold to account all the documented accounts and sketches of Explorers and Settlers who at first admired, but then 'denied' in the name of Colonisation and its tool of 'propaganda' no different than what Communism and Dictators do.

They were not Hunter's and Gatherers, they were Farmers.
They were not Military (although the Portuguese trained a Clan up in NT, that sized up successfully against a Scottish led, Indian regiment) and if you look at their 'artifacts' in Museums - most of them were 'tools', not weapons.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #26 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 7:29pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 3rd, 2019 at 1:00pm:

Listen Yadda.

....Pre 1788 Aboriginal Australia was an existence of 'Harmony' with no 'wars' or 'suicide' and 'Law' was minor facet that was acted on with punishment in rare occurrences.

Mostly, everyone got on well and Clans worked together for the greater good.

But in what alternative universe ?

Is this what is offered as argument in debate on a public forum, in 2019 !!?

JaSin,

Please tell me, that you are not a product of the Australian education system.    ???

Aaaah, i know what it is!

JaSin,

You need to report back to your coders, that more adjustments are required.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1554900171/16#16

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 9:24pm

Yadda wrote on Jun 3rd, 2019 at 7:29pm:
Jasin wrote on Jun 3rd, 2019 at 1:00pm:

Listen Yadda.

....Pre 1788 Aboriginal Australia was an existence of 'Harmony' with no 'wars' or 'suicide' and 'Law' was minor facet that was acted on with punishment in rare occurrences.

Mostly, everyone got on well and Clans worked together for the greater good.

But in what alternative universe ?

Is this what is offered as argument in debate on a public forum, in 2019 !!?

JaSin,

Please tell me, that you are not a product of the Australian education system. 
  ???

Aaaah, i know what it is!

JaSin,

You need to report back to your coders, that more adjustments are required.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1554900171/16#16

Oh no Yadda. Sorry to be a dissapointment to you.
But I 'failed' to be a Redneck when schooled in Mt Druitt and 'failed' to be a Gay when schooled in St Marys.
Hell, I think I even did my Biology exam in 'morse code'.
Makes you wonder then, where I 'succeed' then if something lost, is something gained.

You're 'Christianity' as a whole, is nothing more than just one 'page', along with the others - in a much larger book of life. For to the Religious, the Tree of Knowledge is what is already known (the past) and the Tree of Life is what there is to know (the future). And you my dear Yadda eat only from the... past.  Wink

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 9:27pm

Team Philosophy

The Realist is present in the moment, while the Idealist dreams of a better world.
But the Idealist always thinks ahead, while the Realist settles for...

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 11:05pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 3rd, 2019 at 7:02pm:
No PZ547.
I will hold little respect for any 'white-washed' accounts of Aboriginal peoples.
I give the majority of my perception of them, from their own accounts and passing down of knowledge.
Of the 'white' interpretation - I do hold to account all the documented accounts and sketches of Explorers and Settlers who at first admired, but then 'denied' in the name of Colonisation and its tool of 'propaganda' no different than what Communism and Dictators do.

They were not Hunter's and Gatherers, they were Farmers.
They were not Military (although the Portuguese trained a Clan up in NT, that sized up successfully against a Scottish led, Indian regiment) and if you look at their 'artifacts' in Museums - most of them were 'tools', not weapons.

Jasin, I don't want to offend you.  I like you.  And your opinions and beliefs are as valid as those of anyone else in this or any other discussion

you knew there'd be a 'but' though

Quote:
It's politically correct nowadays to think of the Aboriginal peoples as a peace loving race who were living in harmony with the land prior to the European invasion.  However, there is plenty of evidence to show that before European settlement, tribal warfare was endemic among the aboriginal peoples, and "payback" killings were a common cause of death.  There was also a high incidence of violence against women and children, both domestic and inter-tribal in nature.

With that said, you will find it hard to uncover any detailed information on large scale open warfare for two reasons. There was no written history pre-European settlement; and more importantly, as the Aborigines were hunter-gather peoples, and not farmers, they didn't have the resources to sustain ongoing wars. In fact, this was one of their major undoings during the Frontier Wars with the British. Compare that to the Maori of New Zealand (who were farmers), and managed a sustained campaign against occupation, finally resulting in a treaty - something the Aborigines of Australia never achieved

I entered the search term, 'Australian Aboriginal Warfare' a few seconds ago into Bing.  This was, I think, the third result down.  Having a quick scan, there seem to be several similar on the first page

Quote:
There is no history to speak of. All we have is the occasional report from Europeans around 1788. I have an Encyclopedia dated 1805 which describes the marriage customs among the Aboriginal tribes near Botany Bay, and the fact that marriage often led to inter-tribal conflict.
I’ll have to paraphrase, since the volume in question is being stored under Nitrogen, but essentially, women were forcibly kidnapped: hit by a club and carried off. Some teeth were knocked out in the process (probably a ritual process)

You might find this article of interest:LINK

Quote:
Paleopathologist Stephen Webb in 1995 published his analysis of 4500 individuals’ bones from mainland Australia going back 50,000 years. (Priceless bone collections at the time were being officially handed over to Aboriginal communities for re-burial, which stopped follow-up studies).[15] Webb found highly disproportionate rates of injuries and fractures to women’s skulls, with the injuries suggesting deliberate attack and often attacks from behind, perhaps in domestic squabbles. In the tropics, for example, female head-injury frequency was about 20-33%, versus 6.5-26% for males

The most extreme results were on the south coast, from Swanport and Adelaide, with female cranial trauma rates as high as 40-44% — two to four times the rate of male cranial trauma. In desert and south coast areas, 5-6% of female skulls had three separate head injuries, and 11-12% had two injuries.

From 1788, British and French arrivals were shocked at local misogyny. First Fleeter Watkin Tench noticed a young woman’s head “covered by contusions, and mangled by scars”. She also had a spear wound above the left knee caused by a man who dragged her from her home to rape her. Tench wrote, “They are in all respects treated with savage barbarity; condemned not only to carry the children, but all other burthens, they meet in return for submission only with blows, kicks and every other mark of brutality.”[18]
He also wrote, “When an Indian [sic] is provoked by a woman, he either spears her, or knocks her down on the spot; on this occasion he always strikes on the head, using indiscriminately a hatchet, a club, or any other weapon, which may chance to be in his hand.”

Marine Lt. William Collins wrote, “We have seen some of these unfortunate beings with more scars upon their shorn heads, cut in every direction, than could be well distinguished or counted.” [19]
Governor Phillip’s confidant, Bennelong, in 1790 had taken a woman to Port Jackson to kill her because her relatives were his enemies. He gave her two severe wounds on the head and one on the shoulder, saying this was his rightful vengeance.

In 1825 French explorer Louis-Antoine de Bougainville wrote “that young girls are brutally kidnapped from their families, violently dragged to isolated spots and are ravished after being subjected to a good deal of cruelty.”[22] George Robinson in Tasmania said in the 1830s that men courted their women by stabbing them with sharp sticks and cutting them with knives prior to rape [/quote]

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 11:23pm

Quote:
The men bartered their women to brutal sealers for dogs and food; in one case such a woman voluntarily went back to the sealers rather than face further tribal violence

Quote:
Also in the 1830s ex-convict Lingard wrote: “I scarcely ever saw a married woman, but she had got six or seven cuts in her head, given by her husband with a tomahawk, several inches in length and very deep.”[24] Explorer Edward John Eyre, who was very sympathetic towards Aborigines, nevertheless recorded:
“Women are often sadly ill-treated by their husbands and friends…they are frequently beaten about the head , with waddies, in the most dreadful manner, or speared in the limbs for the most trivial offences…
“Few women will be found, upon examination, to be free from frightful scars upon the head, or the marks of spear wounds about the body. I have seen a young woman, who, from the number of these marks, appeared to have been almost riddled with spear wounds."

Quote:
TRIBAL warfare and paybacks were endemic. In "Journey to Horseshoe Bend",   anthropologist T.G.H. Strehlow described a black-on-black massacre in 1875 in the Finke River area of Central Australia, triggered by a perceived sacrilege:
"The warriors turned their murderous attention to the women and older children and either clubbed or speared them to death. Finally, according to the grim custom of warriors and avengers they broke the limbs of the infants, leaving them to die ‘natural deaths’. The final number of the dead could well have reached the high figure of 80 to 100 men, women and children."[26]

Quote:
Revenge killings by the victims’ clan involved more than 60 people, with the two exchanges accounting for about 20% of members of the two clans. (When Pauline Hanson, then member for Oxley, quoted this account in 1996, an Aboriginal woman elder replied, "Mrs Hanson should receive a traditional Urgarapul punishment: having her hands and feet crippled.")[27]

Escaped convict William Buckley, who lived for three decades with tribes around Port Phillip, recounted constant raids, ambushes, and small battles, typically involving one to three fatalities. He noted the Watouronga of Geelong in night raids ‘destroyed without mercy men, women and children.’[28]

Quote:
Historian Geoff Blainey concluded that annual death rates from North-East Arnhem Land and Port Philip, were comparable with countries involved in the two world wars, although Blainey’s estimate could be somewhat on the high side.[29]
Other black-on-black massacres include accounts from anthropologist Bill Stanner of an entire camp massacre, an Aurukun massacre in the early 20th century, Strehlow’s account of the wiping out of the Plenty River local group of Udebatara in Central Australia, and the killing of a large group of men, women and children near Mt Eba, also in Central Australia.[30]

Quote:
Strehlow’s wife Kathleen Strehlow wrote:
“It would be no exaggeration to say that the system worked as one of sheer terror in the days before the white man came. This terror was instilled from earliest childhood and continued unabated through life until the extremity of old age seemed to guarantee some immunity from the attentions of blood avenger or sorcerer alike for wrongs real or imaginary…children were not exempted from capital punishment for persistent offences against the old tribal code.”[31]

Quote:
The Murngin (now Yolngu) in NE Arnhem Land during 1920s practiced a deadly warfare that placed it among the world’s most lethal societies. The then-rate for homicides of 330 per 100,000 (which Jarrett suggests could be grossly under-estimated) was 15 times the 2006-07 "very remote national Indigenous rate" of 22, and 300 times the 2006-7 national non-Indigenous rate. That Murngin rate was worse than in Mexico’s present Ciudad Juarez drug capital (300 homicides per 100,000), and more than three times worse than the worst national current rate (Honduras).

Quote:
Jarrett says that surely no aspect of Murngin culture, such as polygamy, was worth the lives of the many young men sacrificed in war to maintain it. [32]
Yolngu punishments are deemed valid for wives if they leave scars but do not kill. In one 2008 case, a husband stabbed his wife multiple times with a steak knife, which was within traditional bounds. The husband got a short sentence and this minor punishment was quashed by Southwood J.

Quote:
UBLISHERS in the 1980s and 1990s sanitised Aboriginal history by censoring accounts of violence, including sexual abuse and infanticide.

The memoirs of the first Aboriginal justice of the peace, Ella Simon, were similarly sanitised by Sydney publishers Millennium Books in the late 1990s so that a baby "stuffed head-first down a rabbit hole and left to die after it fell ill on walkabout" was allegedly edited to read "left under a tree to die".

"Anything to do with the abuse of Aboriginal women and children by their fellow Aborigines has been censored out by editors keen not to offend and raise ghosts of the stolen children stories. Ignoring the other stories of the rape of Aboriginal girls by Aboriginal men; the killing of Aboriginal babies often by leaving them to die in the bush; and the neglect and abuse of Aboriginal and part-Aboriginal children have all been part of a taboo which is based on guilt."

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Jun 3rd, 2019 at 11:25pm

Yes. I've read all that stuff long ago. It's all part of the propaganda to down-grade the Aboriginal culture as 'savages'.
I prefer the new truth that is emerging.
Remember, Aboriginals hardly had weapons other than for minimal reasons beyond just taking down Roos, etc.
It was in the best interests of Christianised Colonisation to down-grade any and every other 'non-christian' existence as 'savage' and the Aboriginals definitely didn't burn their women at the stake for being 'witches' either.

Ask yourself the 'why' would the women be 'clubbed' over the head beyond 'rape'? If it was such a 'cultural occurrence' all over the continent - then I'm sure the population would crash from lack of healthy and able females able to reproduce due to head trauma.
I really don't think a peoples that were quite sustainable in their need for food and water, were so desperate in their actions to breed.

If the Aboriginals 'failed' here, it wasn't due to their Farming techniques, that's for sure. But hey, white farmers are so crap - more and more 'black' Indians are buying up what the Whitey can't cope with: Farms.

I notice there is a surge towards Holistic Farming (from Zimbabwe) and other 'alternative' (Black) Farming styles because they are succeeding, where Western styles are failing.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 12:09am

A first-hand, eye witness account of an Aboriginal tribal battle written in 1927LINK

Quote:
Solicitor/historian Joan Kimm wrote: “The sexual use of young girls by older men, indeed often much older men, was an intrinsic part of Aboriginal culture, a heritage that cannot easily be denied.”

Quote:
Playwright and author Louis Nowra concurs: “Despite local variations, there is a consistent pattern of Aboriginal men’s treatment of women that was harsh, sexually aggressive (gang-rape for instance) and , in our term, misogynist. Given its pervasive nature across the whole of Australia, we can say that it was ancient and long-lasting.”

Quote:
Nowra quotes Walter Roth (1861-1933) a doctor, anthropologist and Chief Protector of Aborigines in Queensland. Roth described at the turn of the previous century how, when a Pitta-Pitta girl first showed signs of puberty, "several men would drag her into the bush and forcibly enlarge the vaginal orifice by tearing it downwards with the first three fingers wound round and round with opossum string. Other men come forward from all directions, and the struggling victim has to submit in rotation to promiscuous coition with all the ‘bucks’ present.”

(substitute a male for the female victim here, then imagine the inflicted pain)

Quote:
"
A group of men, with cooperation from old women, ambush a young woman, and pin her so an old man can slit up the shrieking girl’s perineum with a stone knife, followed by sweeping three fingers round the inside of the virginal orifice. “She is next compelled to undergo copulation with all the bucks present; again the same night, and a third time, on the following morning."

Quote:
In Birdsville, a hardwood stick two feet long with a crude life-sized penis carving at the top, was used to tear the hymen and posterior vaginal wall

Quote:
“In the Tully area, a very young man would give his betrothed to an old man to sleep with her and train her for him. The idea was that the elder would ‘make the little child’s genitalia develop all the more speedily’. There was no restriction on age or social status at which the bride would be delivered up. As Roth observed, ‘It is of no uncommon occurrence to see an individual carrying on his shoulder his little child-wife who is perhaps too tired to toddle any further.”

Quote:
Accounts from the missionary era are daunting.
In 1905 the local telegraph operator at Fitzroy River reported that a five-year-old half-caste girl, Polly “was out with the old woman, Mary Ann, when a bush black took her away for two nights during which time the blacks here said he made use of her. Such actions as that of Polly and the men are very common among the natives.” [7]
Anglican lay missionary Mary Bennett in 1934 testified, “The practice to which I refer is that of intercision of the girls at the age of puberty. The vagina is cut with glass by the old men, and that involves a great deal of suffering…I remember my old Aboriginal nurse speak with horror of the suffering which she had been made to undergo.”[8]
A practice as bad as female genital mutilation is still inflicted on hundreds of boys annually – involuntary sub-incision, the slitting open of the male urethra

Quote:
The controversy continues into the current period.
In the 1970s John Coldrey, later a judge of the Victorian Supreme Court, appeared for a Central Australian Aboriginal Legal Aid Service client in Alice Springs. The traditional man, drunk, had inflicted 201 separate injuries on his wife who then bled to death. She had been passively crouching, and there were no defensive wounds.The man was punishing her for having been with other men that day. He had not wanted to kill or seriously injure her, he said. J. Coldrey belatedly discovered that the wounds were on traditional punishment areas of the body, and the conviction was then of manslaughter, not murder

Quote:
in north and central Australia, relatives of small children “cruel” them by inflicting pain to make the child angry and violent, even from six months old. He believes this is a tradition dating from earliest times when aggression needed to be instilled in children/quote].

[quote]in Alice Springs hospital in 2005 ---numerous Aboriginal women and young girls with severe injuries from domestic violence. He visited outback communities and found them astonishingly brutal:
“Some of the women’s faces ended up looking as though an incompetent butcher had conducted plastic surgery with a hammer and saw. The fear in the women’s eyes reminded me of dogs whipped into cringing submission.”

Quote:
In contemporary Australia, polygamy & traditions of promised-brides continue in Arnhem Land and other remote areas. Until recently, the judiciary was lenient in such cases involving forced under-age sex. Jarrett writes,
“Aboriginal men still claim these modern young girls as their promised possession - have cars, guns, outstations and kin to help them secure and punish these resistant girls, well away from public purview

Quote:
In 2004 a 55-year-old married man physically and sexually assaulted his 14-year-old promised bride for 2 days while she pleaded she was too young for sex. One month suspended sentence

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 12:16am

Jasin wrote on Jun 3rd, 2019 at 11:25pm:
Yes. I've read all that stuff long ago. It's all part of the propaganda to down-grade the Aboriginal culture as 'savages'.
I prefer the new truth that is emerging.
Remember, Aboriginals hardly had weapons other than for minimal reasons beyond just taking down Roos, etc.
It was in the best interests of Christianised Colonisation to down-grade any and every other 'non-christian' existence as 'savage' and the Aboriginals definitely didn't burn their women at the stake for being 'witches' either.

Ask yourself the 'why' would the women be 'clubbed' over the head beyond 'rape'? If it was such a 'cultural occurrence' all over the continent - then I'm sure the population would crash from lack of healthy and able females able to reproduce due to head trauma.
I really don't think a peoples that were quite sustainable in their need for food and water, were so desperate in their actions to breed.

If the Aboriginals 'failed' here, it wasn't due to their Farming techniques, that's for sure. But hey, white farmers are so crap - more and more 'black' Indians are buying up what the Whitey can't cope with: Farms.

I notice there is a surge towards Holistic Farming (from Zimbabwe) and other 'alternative' (Black) Farming styles because they are succeeding, where Western styles are failing.

Some attractive online sites advertising Aboriginal weapons of war

and the stats past and current of Aboriginal women beaten like dogs have been provided

it's actually worse where Aborigines 'live the traditional lifestyle' -- because they do just that, 'cruelling' their kids to make them aggressive and beating and killing the women and girls ... and each other, not to mention the gang attacks on anyone stupid enough to give more than one of them a lift

but --- be nice if your dream-version becomes reality

Oh, yeah --- Zimbabwe's been such a success story since the white farmers were murdered and their farms stolen.  Such a success that they've been begging white farmers to return,  now the blacks have turned the place into a sheet hole

I don't know what you're smoking Jasin,  but anyway ...

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 11:25am

A lot of ancient tribes worldwide used to participate in acts that us, as a "civilized" society would consider barbaric and disgusting.

Hell, in some places i.e New Guinea some tribes still practice cannibalism.

They did not possess the knowledge of "morality" and were as such acting in their natural environment.

They were "born free of sin" having no authoritative text telling them otherwise.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 12:36pm

Yes well, they don't make movies like Blue Lagoon anymore.
*sigh
Sad

I guess in the middle-east they needed a concept of 'authority' over them in how to morally behave, because it was also the most war ravaged part of the World.

And no, it was originally the 'Whites' who killed Ndebele & Shona and stole their lands via Rhodes. You reap what you sow. And also, although Mugabe provided for only those who were on his side, the British supporters starved 'unsupported' by Britain who seiged the nation with sanctions.

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 4:39pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 4th, 2019 at 12:36pm:
*sigh
Sad

I guess in the middle-east they needed a concept of 'authority' over them in how to morally behave, because it was also the most war ravaged part of the World.

And no, it was originally the 'Whites' who killed Ndebele & Shona and stole their lands via Rhodes. You reap what you sow. And also, although Mugabe provided for only those who were on his side, the British supporters starved 'unsupported' by Britain who seiged the nation with sanctions.

Yeah, it's really made a difference  Cheesy

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 2:32am

The Reboot wrote on Jun 4th, 2019 at 4:39pm:
Jasin wrote on Jun 4th, 2019 at 12:36pm:
*sigh
Sad

Yeah, it's really made a difference  Cheesy

I like that 'star-trekkin' song: "We come in Peace (Religion) / Shoot to kill (Military)"

...in South America, its the reverse.  Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print