Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why cut down every tree? (Read 3443 times)
Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Re: Why cut down every tree?
Reply #30 - May 27th, 2019 at 5:10pm

Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2019 at 7:38pm:
Rider wrote on May 26th, 2019 at 4:48pm:
Here's a solution...if you wanna put more trees on farms..

1. Stump up the cash and buy the farm.
2. Plant trees till you run out of your own money.

Alternatively, mind your own business, what is it with armchair city know it alls whose environment comprises bitumen and concrete telling agriculturists how they should operate?

You don't have to be Einstein to know that cutting every tree is wrong.

A lot of these areas are broad acre farming...no cows no sheep. And a lot are originally treeless plains.....there are more trees now then when Cook paddled ashore.

Nothing stopping you spending a couple of $$ million of your own and you too can own a farm, go on, I dare you. Put your money where your mouth is. You can plant all the trees you like, but don't complain when your tractor driver does $50000 worth of damage wrapping a air seeder around one of these precious trees, or when you miss harvesting a 1000 acres because a tree limb has gone up the guts of a combine and rain downgrades your crop to cattle feed rather than prime hard.

Just maybe the people who don't do the work just don't get to denigrate what the worlds best farmers already know.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #31 - May 27th, 2019 at 5:32pm

Rider wrote on May 27th, 2019 at 5:10pm:

Alternatively, mind your own business, what is it with armchair city know it alls whose environment comprises bitumen and concrete telling agriculturists how they should operate?

A lot of these areas are broad acre farming...no cows no sheep. And a lot are originally treeless plains.....there are more trees now then when Cook paddled ashore.

Nothing stopping you spending a couple of $$ million of your own and you too can own a farm, go on, I dare you. Put your money where your mouth is. You can plant all the trees you like, but don't complain when your tractor driver does $50000 worth of damage wrapping a air seeder around one of these precious trees, or when you miss harvesting a 1000 acres because a tree limb has gone up the guts of a combine and rain downgrades your crop to cattle feed rather than prime hard.

Just maybe the people who don't do the work just don't get to denigrate what the worlds best farmers already know.

No Australians are listed amongst the world's best farmers. The best is Chinese.

https://agronomag.com/wealthiest-farmers-world/

Quote:
Wealthiest farmers in the world
Bao Hongxing. As the chairman of the largest private company in the China's Jianxi Province, Bao Hongxing has a net worth of $1.3 billion. ...
Fu Guangming. ...
Qin Yinglin. ...
Vadim Moshkovich. ...
Andrej Babis. ...
Harry Stine. ...
Prince Sultan bin Mohammed bin Saud Al Kabeer. ...
Stewart and Lynda Resnick.

1. Liu Yongxing
Just like in 2016, Liu Yongxing, the brother of Liu Yonghao, holds the first place among the wealthiest farmers in the world, with a net worth of $6.6 billion. He formed his company, East Hope Group in the early 1990s, after an amiable business split from his brothers. Together with his siblings he had formed the Hope Group in 1982. East Hope Group is specialized in producing animal feed for pigs, chickens, ducks, fish etc.  The company’s products are available mainly on the Chinese market, but also in a few countries abroad, such as Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia or Cambodia.

So far, this is how the top 10 wealthiest farmers in the world looks like, according to the numbers provided by Forbes, but who knows what the future brings and what other new names we will find on this list in the next years? So far, those who focused mainly on animal farms and animal feed seem to hold the top spots. 

Quote:
Biggest Farms In The World
Rank      Farm      Area
1      Mudanjiang City Mega Farm, Heilongjiang, China      22,500,000 acres
2      Modern Dairy, Anhui, China      11,000,000 acres
3      Anna Creek, South Australia, Australia      6,000,000 acres
4      Clifton Hills, South Australia, Australia      4,200,000 acres

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #32 - May 27th, 2019 at 5:54pm

Stop setting up a strawman argument -
I don't have $millions to spend on a farm.
Read the opening post again.

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #33 - May 27th, 2019 at 7:25pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on May 27th, 2019 at 5:32pm:

No Australians are listed amongst the world's best farmers. The best is Chinese.

https://agronomag.com/wealthiest-farmers-world/

Quote:
Wealthiest farmers in the world
Bao Hongxing. As the chairman of the largest private company in the China's Jianxi Province, Bao Hongxing has a net worth of $1.3 billion. ...
Fu Guangming. ...
Qin Yinglin. ...
Vadim Moshkovich. ...
Andrej Babis. ...
Harry Stine. ...
Prince Sultan bin Mohammed bin Saud Al Kabeer. ...
Stewart and Lynda Resnick.

1. Liu Yongxing
Just like in 2016, Liu Yongxing, the brother of Liu Yonghao, holds the first place among the wealthiest farmers in the world, with a net worth of $6.6 billion. He formed his company, East Hope Group in the early 1990s, after an amiable business split from his brothers. Together with his siblings he had formed the Hope Group in 1982. East Hope Group is specialized in producing animal feed for pigs, chickens, ducks, fish etc.  The company’s products are available mainly on the Chinese market, but also in a few countries abroad, such as Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia or Cambodia.

So far, this is how the top 10 wealthiest farmers in the world looks like, according to the numbers provided by Forbes, but who knows what the future brings and what other new names we will find on this list in the next years? So far, those who focused mainly on animal farms and animal feed seem to hold the top spots. 

Quote:
Biggest Farms In The World
Rank      Farm      Area
1      Mudanjiang City Mega Farm, Heilongjiang, China      22,500,000 acres
2      Modern Dairy, Anhui, China      11,000,000 acres
3      Anna Creek, South Australia, Australia      6,000,000 acres
4      Clifton Hills, South Australia, Australia      4,200,000 acres

Best farmers in the world. Not talking about wealthiest you dolt.

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #34 - May 27th, 2019 at 7:32pm

Bobby. wrote on May 27th, 2019 at 5:54pm:

Stop setting up a strawman argument -
I don't have $millions to spend on a farm.
Read the opening post again.

Yeah I did, you went for a drive and that gave you all the knowledge to sprout about how farmers should run their businesses. How about you mind your own business and let them people who do the real work get on with it whilst you can sit down and have a Bex.
R

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #35 - May 27th, 2019 at 7:40pm

Rider wrote on May 27th, 2019 at 7:32pm:
Yeah I did, you went for a drive and that gave you all the knowledge to sprout about how farmers should run their businesses. How about you mind your own business and let them people who do the real work get on with it whilst you can sit down and have a Bex.
R

I was referring to the 3 links - try again.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #36 - May 28th, 2019 at 7:08am

The 2 examples you have used... damaging equipment is more to do with the operator being inept, not the idea's Bobby has.....
Also for me when I think of treeless paddocks, its for live stock.... broad acer faming would  take a lot more planning if you started putting tree's and other vegetation in it, probably not viable, but crop rotation and wildlife corridors would still be beneficial... Wink
Ohh and if our farmers are so smart, why is it when we have a drought we see all the pictures of mistreated and dying animals.... that isn't good stewarding of the land, it's just inept criminal behaviour. Wink

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - May 28th, 2019 at 12:27pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 7:08am:
Also for me when I think of treeless paddocks, its for live stock.... broad acer faming would  take a lot more planning if you started putting tree's and other vegetation in it, probably not viable, but crop rotation and wildlife corridors would still be beneficial...

You have heard of mixed farming?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #38 - May 28th, 2019 at 5:18pm

lee wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 12:27pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 7:08am:
Also for me when I think of treeless paddocks, its for live stock.... broad acer faming would  take a lot more planning if you started putting tree's and other vegetation in it, probably not viable, but crop rotation and wildlife corridors would still be beneficial...

You have heard of mixed farming?

with regards to Broad acre Farming ohh do tell Lee Wink

I am me

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - May 28th, 2019 at 5:37pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 5:18pm:
with regards to Broad acre Farming ohh do tell Lee

"Broadacre cropping mainly wheat in rotation, easy worked, minimal cost farming with livestock production. "

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-mixed+farming-wa-morawa-7921882

Broadacre cropping AND livestock. Who woudda thunk. Wink

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #40 - May 28th, 2019 at 6:21pm

lee wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 5:37pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 5:18pm:
with regards to Broad acre Farming ohh do tell Lee

"Broadacre cropping mainly wheat in rotation, easy worked, minimal cost farming with livestock production. "

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-mixed+farming-wa-morawa-7921882

Broadacre cropping AND livestock. Who woudda thunk. Wink

Dont see any tree's in the broad acre farming there Lee , don't see any sheep in the wheat paddocks either, look like different paddocks for the sheep, hence Mixed farming, paddocks for wheat, paddocks for sheep Smiley
They only get 300mm of rain  a year, they would have to rely heavily on bores and in the description one property enough water for livestock....
Maybe find some "mixed farming" with tree's and multi use land  Wink

I am me

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Re: ALmost mixed farming
Reply #41 - May 28th, 2019 at 6:26pm

http://www.grainandgraze3.com.au/resources/18_PK071331.pdf

A good read on a bunch of Mixed farms... it doesn't look like any multi use the  land but use different percentages of the land to do cropping and pasture.....I think permaculture is what your thinking of Lee Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2019 at 6:43pm by DonDeeHippy »  

I am me

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - May 28th, 2019 at 6:31pm

We should thank our farmers for Australia meeting its Kyoto targets as the burden was placed on them with the soy latte sipping inner city types contributing nothing.

Quote:

Both the current Government and Opposition are relying on agriculture and forestry to bear much of the burden of Australia’s emission reduction

The land sector enabled Australia to meet its recent Kyoto Protocol emission target despite significant underlying growth in greenhouse emissions from other economic sectors. This was achieved by reducing land clearing and by large-scale reforestation of farmland through Managed Investment Schemes.

Reducing clearing allowed Australia to meet its target in the Kyoto Protocol.

http://theconversation.com/are-farmers-the-future-of-carbon-management-16033

Be nice if some did some real research on this instead of looking out of a car window and having a whinge.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - May 28th, 2019 at 6:32pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 6:26pm:
the example you used is separate land for livestock and a little potion for Wheet, not  the same land used for both ...… It only get 300mm of rain a year, o all bore, it says 1.5 tonne

Perhaps you prefer the OECD definition? -

"Broadacre is a term used, mainly in Australia, to describe farms or industries engaged in the production of grains, oilseeds and other crops (especially wheat, barley, peas, sorghum, maize, hemp, safflower, and sunflower), or the grazing of livestock for meat or wool, on a large scale (i.e., using extensive parcels of land)."

https://stats.oecd.org/glossary/detail.asp?ID=235

So broadacre doesn't describe so much the use to which the land is put but to "using extensive parcels of land".

BTW- You do understand that 1.5 tonne is per hectare not their total tonnage?

Also 12 inches of rain a year is pretty good in WA. We get about 11 -12 where I am.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2019 at 6:39pm by lee »  

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #44 - May 28th, 2019 at 6:57pm

lee wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 6:32pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 6:26pm:
the example you used is separate land for livestock and a little potion for Wheet, not  the same land used for both ...… It only get 300mm of rain a year, o all bore, it says 1.5 tonne

Perhaps you prefer the OECD definition? -

"Broadacre is a term used, mainly in Australia, to describe farms or industries engaged in the production of grains, oilseeds and other crops (especially wheat, barley, peas, sorghum, maize, hemp, safflower, and sunflower), or the grazing of livestock for meat or wool, on a large scale (i.e., using extensive parcels of land)."

https://stats.oecd.org/glossary/detail.asp?ID=235

So broadacre doesn't describe so much the use to which the land is put but to "using extensive parcels of land".

BTW- You do understand that 1.5 tonne is per hectare not their total tonnage?

Also 12 inches of rain a year is pretty good in WA. We get about 11 -12 where I am.

Ahh I don't know how this bit got posted ,  I did something wrong and hit the dumb button I think. and sent it by mistake....if you look I changed it hoping it wouldn't be seen......
It looks like the farmers don't like putting live stock in their cropping land as they tear it up to much and compact the land as well...So they make some of their farm into pasture and some in cropping...

I am me

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print