Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
15th State To Ditch Electoral College (Read 5379 times)
AiA
Gold Member

Re: 15th State To Ditch Electoral College
Reply #75 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 4:12pm

The Electoral College isn't going to be abolished any time soon. There will be no reparations for slavery, etc. The Democrats have so many ideas that sink their ship ...

This National Popular Vote Interstate Compact has merit BUT it won't fly without some Red States joining it as well.

There have been prominent Republicans that have endorsed this measure before Trump. Newt Gingrich. Bob Barr. Donald Trump himself endorsed it in November 2016.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2019 at 4:23pm by AiA »  

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #76 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 9:13pm

AiA wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 9:35am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:59pm:
Perfectly understandable, Mort. Why would an Amerikan post on an Australian politics board - from a phone in Florida?

I am posting from Japan and quite often wonder why I am here ...

My wife has family there, which part?

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #77 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 5:17pm

Mortdooley wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 9:13pm:
AiA wrote on Jun 7th, 2019 at 9:35am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Jun 6th, 2019 at 9:59pm:
Perfectly understandable, Mort. Why would an Amerikan post on an Australian politics board - from a phone in Florida?

I am posting from Japan and quite often wonder why I am here ...

My wife has family there, which part?

Still waiting, Mort.  Just in case you've given up...   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #78 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 10:02pm

OK, I'm back from the land of the big mouse.

Quote:
You obviously don't know or understand the history Latin and Southern America, do you, Mort?  The US has exploited that region for over 150 years.  It has imposed it's will on the people and forced them to accept tyrants and dictators.  You wonder why they resent America?  Really?

Western Europe created the borders of Central and South America when they colonized it. Western financial interests created wealth from the natural resources they found there and even the locals benefited.

Quote:
A great theory but what does it do to the claims by the Gun Nuts that Tyrants immediately enact gun control?  You cannot have one and then accept the other, Mort, now can you?

In reality, most of the firearms used during the Eastern European revolutions were acquired from the Peoples' Militia armouries.  AK47s and all the other Eastern weapons.  Few WWII weapons were used.  The main problem faced with using WWII weapons is the lack of ammunition available for them.  Plenty of ammunition for AKs.

While the AK variant has become the weapon of choice in third world countries, tons of WW2 weapons are still hidden away in private hands.

Ammunition is not like eggs, it doesn't go bad sitting in storage. Properly stored ammo eighty years old still functions like new and I know this because I have plenty and use it in my Mosin-Nagant, Tokarev and Nagant revolver.  It was available cheap until some of Obamas executive orders restricted the import of obsolete calibers. It is once again available but at a much higher price.  

Quote:
Excuse me?  Is this an admission that you don't really know what you're talking about so you decide to change the subject, Mort?  Really?    Roll Eyes

Bird fatalities occur all the time.  Birds, other animals all hunt birds and kill them.  Birds get hit by cars, killed by humans deliberately as well as accidently.  Who cares?   It is the way of the world.  Natural selection will weed out the birds who are stupid and the smarter ones which know to avoid wind turbines will survive.

Wind turbines kill an estimated 140,000 to 328,000 birds each year in North America, making it the most threatening form of green energy. And yet, it’s also one of the most rapidly expanding energy industries: more than 49,000 individual wind turbines now exist across 39 states. More energy can be saved by using a system of passive heat exchange. Pulling hot air through piping buried underground and blown into buildings will cool or heat more efficiently at a lower cost.

Quote:
Enjoy it while you can, Mort.  I hope you have your space on the window ledge booked

Quote:
Where did I say I wished you harm, Mort?  All I suggested was that if you play the market you should expect to come crashing down.  If you want to harm yourself, go for it.

We both know that during the stock market crash some people who had lost everything climbed out on the ledge of tall buildings and leaped to their deaths.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 10:05pm

Mortdooley wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 10:02pm:
Wind turbines kill an estimated 140,000 to 328,000 birds each year in North America, making it the most threatening form of green energy.

only if you disregard the facts

Quote:
4.2 million deaths every year as a result of exposure to ambient (outdoor) air pollution

and that's people, not birds

https://www.who.int/airpollution/en/

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #80 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:13pm

John Smith wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 10:05pm:
Mortdooley wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 10:02pm:
Wind turbines kill an estimated 140,000 to 328,000 birds each year in North America, making it the most threatening form of green energy.

only if you disregard the facts

Quote:
4.2 million deaths every year as a result of exposure to ambient (outdoor) air pollution

and that's people, not birds

https://www.who.int/airpollution/en/

When China and India buy Carbon Credits from non industrialized countries the air will still be just as polluted as before!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #81 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:18pm

Oh for F*uck's sake!  Roll Eyes

Northern Hemisphere 'Western' Politics (basically USA, UK for starters) have the 'power' of Politics in the hands of the 'Industry', especially the highest ranking.
It is a 'top of the pyramid' form of Politics of which the highest is deemed the Great Political Correctness, almighty.

Politics is never in the hands of the 'People'.
Voting is just a nice way to 'include' the people to some degree, to make them think that they have a 'choice'.  Grin

As PM T.May of the UK found out to her bewilderment, that although the 'People's' wish was to Exit. The Establishment of Politics decided otherwise and so it is now to be. She was an ignorant, but very compassionate leader to the People and with that, she could only go so far. She has been a true 'Peoples' Prime Minister.

Here in Australia, it is much the same. Vote in a PM, who is soon 'replaced' by another via usurption.
BUT. This only exists because of UK/USA presence over Australia, where the job of the PM is to serve the USA, while the Governor-General serves the UK.

So if ever Australia, a Southern Hemisphere nation, ever had a Republic - it would be the truest form of Republic in the History of Politics. For it would be the Political empowerment of the 'People' and not the Individual (Leader) or the 'Establisment'. It would be in the political-cultural expression of the 'mass'.
Political Leadership would be the 'weakest' part of Australia's Political culture.
Power to the Common People of the Common Wealth.

So, that explains the USA version. It doesn't matter - the people's votes. It's all about Political 'Power' and even with the Media's help, Hillary Clinton could not overcome Trump and his Internet effort. Tweet Tweet.
  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 6:53am

Jasin wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:18pm:
... Hillary Clinton could not overcome Trump and his Internet effort. Tweet Tweet.[/size]  Wink

No.

She couldn't overcome the electoral college.

She beat Trump easily, when it comes to popularity.

Almost 3 million more people voted for her.

The people wanted Clinton, but the electoral college gave them an alleged child rapist.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #83 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:13am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 6:53am:
... Hillary Clinton could not overcome Trump and his Internet effort. Tweet Tweet.[/size]  Wink

No.

The people wanted Clinton, but the electoral college gave them an alleged child rapist.

No.
The 'popularity' you put forth is just from the Media's point of view.
In the real world of a nation 'mostly' existing via the Internet these days - the popularity was with Trump, especially the 'Establishment' of Politics and 'that's' what made the difference or did you not understand my previous post of 'where' the Political power lies in 'da North'?

The 'People' have no Political power in the North, but they do have 'Artistic' power.
This makes you a complete idiot and twat that keeps crying over "The People voted more for Hillary"  Cry Roll Eyes
You don't get it, you never have.
You're an idiot!  Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:17am

Jasin wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:13am:

No.

No.

Yes.

Fact.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #85 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:27am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:17am:

No.

No.

Yes.

Fact.

Well thank god the USA Political system put Trump in (because clearly the people of USA have no idea of what's going on), because Hillary would have 'blown' the budget.
Time you take your finger out of your nose Peckerhead and leave the Forum like you PROMISED to, regarding Trump winning.
You're so full of lies, we think you accuse people like Trump of things to make you look better than you really are here on this Forum.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:40am

Jasin wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:27am:
... we think you accuse people like Trump of things to make you look better than you really are here on this Forum.

What have I accused the alleged child rapist of doing?

I'm curious.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #87 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 4:59pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 3rd, 2019 at 1:07pm:
You obviously don't know or understand the history Latin and Southern America, do you, Mort?  The US has exploited that region for over 150 years.  It has imposed it's will on the people and forced them to accept tyrants and dictators.  You wonder why they resent America?  Really?

A perfect example of this is Guatemala. Look at what the Americans did to Jacobo Arbenz.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #88 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 5:03pm

Panther wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 3:28pm:
Auggie wrote on Jun 9th, 2019 at 11:56am:
Panther wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 9:41pm:
Auggie wrote on Jun 8th, 2019 at 7:42pm:
President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on May 23rd, 2019 at 1:33pm:
This is a ploy by the DNC to steal all upcoming elections.

Get rid of the electoral college and flood the US with dirty immigrants and give them free stuff so that they only vote for the DNC..

So forget majority rule then?

If we're talkin' about America mate, then majority rule....aka.....Democracy.....America uses a few Democratic principals, but on the whole that's as far as it goes, because America is not a Democracy.....it's a Constitutional Republic, where the US Constitution.....the Law of the Land......determines outcomes.

The majority doesn't rule.....because the minority has rights guaranteed in the US Constitution, & those rights are protected by the US Constitution......protected from the will of the majority.

The majority is kept from constant advantage over the lives of the minority. The US Constitution does not permit "Mob Rule", enabling more Freedom & Liberty for all - not just the majority.  http://33sm.net16.net/smileys/signsandflags2.gif

Ok, so let's come to a compromise then.

Let's keep the electoral college but change it so that each State is divided into districts, each one to have a single elector. The people in each district shall vote for a pledged elector.

This 'district-mode' of the electoral college was actually what the Framers had in mind. This is what James Madison said later on anyhow.

The benefit of a district-based system is that each person's vote is of equal value, provided that each district is equal in population.

The Electors in each State are already chosen based on population, with a minor exception.

One Elector for each voting Representative it has in the House of Representatives......the number of which is based on the States Population at the latest census. The 50 State total of US Representatives is 435.

Also One Elector for each US Senator the State Has......all States  have 2 US Senators.

Also, even though Washington, District of Columbia isn't a State, Washington DC gets Electoral Votes based on population because the residents vote for President.

D.C. = 3

435 + 3 + 100 = 538

538 x 1/2 = 269.

That's why, in order for a candidate to win the Presidentcy, he/she needs 270 Electoral Votes, 1 more than half.

If nobody gets a 50% + 1 majority of Electoral Votes, 269+1, then the US House of Representatives votes for the US President.

If you wish it otherwise, you would have to amend the US Constitution.    Wink

You seem to have completely misunderstood what I said.

I said that each State would be divided into districts, each one returning a single elector. Rather than having them be like a 'string of beads', the electors would represent the people of that district.

This would mean that Republicans would gain some electors in California (in the conservative areas) and the Democrats would gain electors in Texas (in the urban areas). It would take the focus away from campaigning only in handful of states, to campaigning across as much of the country as possible.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #89 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 5:05pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:27am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 7:17am:

No.

No.

Yes.

Fact.

Well thank god the USA Political system put Trump in (because clearly the people of USA have no idea of what's going on), because Hillary would have 'blown' the budget.
Time you take your finger out of your nose Peckerhead and leave the Forum like you PROMISED to, regarding Trump winning.
You're so full of lies, we think you accuse people like Trump of things to make you look better than you really are here on this Forum.

Donald Trump is an embarrassment to America. He can't even articulate himself properly. YouTube all the gaffs and mispronunciations he's made. Some psychologists have even suggested that Trump has early cognitive decline.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print