Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suicidal Americans voted for Donald Trrump (Read 156 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Suicidal Americans voted for Donald Trrump
May 21st, 2019 at 10:43pm

Losers, freaks, psychopaths, and suicidal maniacs, otherwise known as Republican voters were lured out of dark place by the emergence of Donald Trump.

They were rewarded by a sharp increase in the suicide rate for them and their ilk, up 4% from 2016 to 2017.

Ozpolitic needs to place denizens The Panther and The Mechanic on suicide watch. It may be too late for The Mechanic who has disappeared. He won't be missed.

Suicide rates are rising faster for girls and military veterans. What's the connection?

“Age-adjusted death rates due to alcohol, drugs, and suicide increased nationally between 2000 and 2015, but they increased 2.5 times more in counties with an increasing Republican percentage vote, ..."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/where-despair-deaths-were-higher-vote...

Quote:
Where 'despair deaths' were higher, voters chose Trump
Counties where life expectancy fell also swung to Trump, the researchers found.
Sept. 6, 2018, 12:00 AM GMT+7
By Maggie Fox

Counties where more people died of so-called deaths of despair — from alcohol or drug abuse and suicide — voted more heavily for Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election, new research shows.

A county-by-county analysis of death rates, causes of death and voting patterns shows that the death rate was nearly 8 percent higher between 2000 and 2015 in counties where Trump won the majority.

It was 15 percent higher in counties that swung more heavily Republican than in 2008, a team at Columbia University said Wednesday.

“Death rates may be important markers of the dissatisfaction, discouragement, hopelessness, and fear of cultural displacement that contributed to President Trump’s appeal, especially to the non-urban, white working class, Dr. Lee Goldman, chief executive of the Columbia University Irving Medical Center, and colleagues wrote in the Journal of General Internal Medicine.

"It's commonly argued that President Trump won by receiving more votes from people who have been left behind economically — especially older, less-educated, and less-urban, white voters," Goldman said in a statement.

"Based on our data, we can also say that changes in life expectancy were an independent factor in voting choices.”

“Death rates may be important markers of the dissatisfaction, discouragement, hopelessness, and fear of cultural displacement that contributed to President Trump’s appeal."

The findings fit in with other studies that have linked voting behavior with health. Jacob Bor of the Boston University School of Public Health found that in counties where life expectancy fell, voters were more likely to vote Republican.

And several studies have also shown that death rates are on the increase across the country. Rates of suicide, alcohol-related deaths and drug overdoses are all up, so much so that they’ve lowered average life expectancy for Americans.

“Age-adjusted death rates due to alcohol, drugs, and suicide increased nationally between 2000 and 2015, but they increased 2.5 times more in counties with an increasing Republican percentage vote,” Goldman’s team wrote.

“We shouldn't underestimate the degree to which some portions of the country have been left behind in terms of their health. And it's not surprising that health disparities correspond with voting behavior,” Goldman said.

Trump lost the popular vote to Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, but won the electoral college vote.

“The outcome of the 2016 presidential election is commonly attributed to socioeconomic and ethnic/racial issues, but health issues, including ‘deaths of despair,’ may also have contributed,” the team concluded. 

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Re: Suicidal Americans voted for Donald Trrump
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2019 at 11:16pm

My bet is that the Hillary voters in those counties are the ones checking out because life isn't worth living in a Trump America. From what I have read, Conservatives are happier people as a whole and Liberals suffer more depression and are the ones most likely to self medicate or kill themselves.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2019 at 11:27pm

Mortdooley wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 11:16pm:
My bet is that the Hillary voters in those counties are the ones checking out because life isn't worth living in a Trump America. From what I have read, Conservatives are happier people as a whole and Liberals suffer more depression and are the ones most likely to self medicate or kill themselves.

You do know that you are not meant to just make it up don't you ?

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2019 at 12:38am

Dnarever wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 11:27pm:

You wish I just made that up but the people in the Liberal Left are a miserable bunch full of envy and greed.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2019 at 12:42am

Mortdooley wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 12:38am:
Dnarever wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 11:27pm:

You wish I just made that up but the people in the Liberal Left are a miserable bunch full of envy and greed.

Typical Trumpist. Fantasy Trumps facts.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2019 at 4:28am

I think Jefferies got it right with this one. Voted Trump in to "see how things would go".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print