Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Morrison Faces Senate Clash On Tax Mandate (Read 1233 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Morrison Faces Senate Clash On Tax Mandate
May 21st, 2019 at 6:51am

Morrison faces Senate clash on tax mandate

May 20, 2019
WA Today

The Morrison government is facing a clash in the Senate over its sweeping income tax cuts, as crossbenchers warn the Coalition has no mandate for the changes even as it inches towards a majority in Parliament.   Smiley

Key powerbrokers in the new Senate, including Central Alliance and Pauline Hanson's One Nation, are holding out against the full $158 billion tax relief package despite arguments from other crossbenchers that the plan has been endorsed by voters.

A leadership contest within the Labor Party has also stalled decisions over its stance on the income tax cuts and its own election policies, with Anthony Albanese the only confirmed candidate while Chris Bowen and Jim Chalmers consider standing.

Centre Alliance senators Stirling Griff and Rex Patrick rejected claims that Prime Minister Scott Morrison had a mandate for all his proposals following Saturday's stunning election victory.

"The only true mandate is when voters give a single party control of both houses and that hasn't happened in this particular instance," Senator Griff said.

"So there's really no such thing as having a mandate for everything you propose."

Mr Morrison has moved closer to securing 77 of the 151 seats in the House of Representatives, with the Australian Electoral Commission shifting three seats out of its "close seats" tally on Monday.

The Coalition so far has 75 seats and is ahead in two others, Bass in Tasmania and Chisholm in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, which are considered too close to call.

Labor has 67 seats and is ahead in Macquarie, in the Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury region west of Sydney, while the Greens have one seat and the remaining five will be held by smaller parties or independents.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg is expected to head to Canberra on Tuesday for meetings with Treasury on the state of the economy and the budget agenda, while Mr Morrison has named the tax cuts as the priority when Parliament resumes within weeks.

Mr Morrison said on Monday that voters wanted the government to get "back to work".

"They don't want to see politics in their face or anything like that. They've had their say, they've made their decision. Now they expect us to get on with it so they can get on with their lives," he told radio host Alan Jones.

"That's what the 'quiet Australia' has said and I'm going to honour that."

While the government must wait for the election writs to be returned in the weeks ahead, it is hoping Parliament can meet before June 30 to pass the first round of tax cuts, which are due to start on July 1.

Any delay to that timetable would force the Australian Taxation Office to back-date the tax cut in the new financial year, while also leaving the government exposed to attacks for taking too long.

The government is yet to make a decision on whether to split the $158 billion tax cut package from the April 2 budget into separate bills, a crucial move if it is to get swift approval in a Senate that has forced changes to its earlier tax cuts.

The most likely option is to break up the tax plan to ensure it can legislate the immediate tax cuts, including a tax offset worth $1080 for workers earning between $48,000 and $90,000 a year.

The plan includes smaller benefits for those earning below $48,000 and those earning up to $126,000 a year.

The latest election count has confirmed earlier signs that the Senate crossbench will include Pauline Hanson and her One Nation colleague Malcolm Roberts.

While Labor offered a bigger tax offset for workers earning up to $48,000 a year, it is expected to legislate the first stage of the government tax cut if the budget plan is split into separate bills.

The latest election count has confirmed earlier signs that the Senate crossbench will include Senator Hanson and her One Nation colleague Malcolm Roberts, as well as the Australian Conservatives' Cory Bernardi and Tasmanian independent Jacqui Lambie.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Morrison Faces Senate Clash On Tax Mandate
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:54am

"The only true mandate is when voters give a single party control of both houses and that hasn't happened in this particular instance," Senator Griff said.   Smiley

"So there's really no such thing as having a mandate for everything you propose."

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2019 at 7:08am

$158 billion in tax cuts....What other cuts have the Coalition announced to pay for this???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

macman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

australia
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2019 at 8:04am

philperth2010 wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 7:08am:
$158 billion in tax cuts....What other cuts have the Coalition announced to pay for this???

Huh Huh Huh

None, but you know what they will be. Just the usual, schools, pensions ,health, unemployed. The leopard doesn't change it's spots and these grubs have a long record of screwing everybody except their mates and big donors.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2019 at 8:37am

The Lefty GetUp! inspired Doomsdayer the union propaganda parrot BlackDay is squawking the Lefty sag grapes and lemon sucking. He hasn't recovered since he fell off his perch on Saturday night.

Once ScoMo buys the SENATE then nothing can stop him.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2019 at 8:52am

Huh Huh Huh

smaller government

happy days

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:01am

Aqua, where is your HILLSONG SERMON to lift the spirits of the deeply disappointed and grieving Lefties ?

Tell them there is life after Shorten's sabotage of the Labor Party.

Point out the remarkable similarity between Moody Mal's sabotage of the Libs and Shorty's sabotage of the Labor Party.

But the Libs acted in time to save the day while the Labor Titanic just hurtled on into the pensioner and retiree iceberg.

IP Logged

scurt

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:08am

Huh Huh Huh

Tax cuts are a boost to the economy, do some research.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:13am

juliar wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 9:01am:
Aqua, where is your HILLSONG SERMON to lift the spirits of the deeply disappointed and grieving Lefties ?

Tell them there is life after Shorten's sabotage of the Labor Party.

Point out the remarkable similarity between Moody Mal's sabotage of the Libs and Shorty's sabotage of the Labor Party.

But the Libs acted in time to save the day while the Labor Titanic just hurtled on into the pensioner and retiree iceberg.

JULES,

deep down, most people would have got more cash from Bill.

why didnt they "take" it

why didnt they behave as "takers".

because , deep down , they KNOW that TAKING doesnt help you.
it gives me some faith in the australian public that they didnt respond to the class warfare and envy of the rich and they voted for an aspirational model where you get rewarded for climbing up the economic ladder.
it warmed my heart  Wink

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #9 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:15am

scurt wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 9:08am:

Huh Huh Huh

Tax cuts are a boost to the economy, do some research.

Trickle down economics....How has that worked in the past....So we can safely say that Scurt has NFI how Morriscum will pay for $158 billion in tax cuts....Apparently it is up to me to work out how these tax cuts are to be paid for according to Scurt....No need for Morriscum to outline anything, the public just need to do some research???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #10 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:17am

aquascoot wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 8:52am:

Huh Huh Huh

smaller government

happy days

What reductions in services were flagged before the election....Were is the contract to the Australian promise....Do you have a copy of what we have sacrificed and what exactly the promise to Australia is Aqua???

Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:38am

The Lefties have short memories and forget the HORRIFIC HOLOCAUST that Labor was going to reduce Australia to ashes with.

If there are no profitable companies then there are no jobs.

Albo Sneezy is still ranting on about the transfer of wealth from rich to poor. This is the UN AGENDA 2030.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:47am

philperth2010 wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 9:17am:

Huh Huh Huh

smaller government

happy days

What reductions in services were flagged before the election....Were is the contract to the Australian promise....Do you have a copy of what we have sacrificed and what exactly the promise to Australia is Aqua???

Huh Huh Huh

what we have sacrificed??

i think that middle australia understands that "sacrifice" is important , even though leftie takers dont get it.

middle australias said "i dont own an investment home but i ASPIRE that my children might so i will SACRIFICE some cash so THEY dont get hit with negative gearing loss.

middle australia said "i dont own any shares but i ASPIRE that my children might so i will SACRIFICE some cash so they dont get hit with loss of franking credits.

it was a noble act to elect Scomo.

it warmed my heart that people didnt fall for the nasty class warfare of the left

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:55am

Aqua I can hear the HILLSONG congregation chanting AQUA AQUA AQUA!!!!!

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #14 - May 21st, 2019 at 10:09am

aquascoot wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 9:47am:
philperth2010 wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 9:17am:

Huh Huh Huh

smaller government

happy days

Huh Huh Huh

what we have sacrificed??

i think that middle australia understands that "sacrifice" is important , even though leftie takers dont get it.

middle australias said "i dont own an investment home but i ASPIRE that my children might so i will SACRIFICE some cash so THEY dont get hit with negative gearing loss.

middle australia said "i dont own any shares but i ASPIRE that my children might so i will SACRIFICE some cash so they dont get hit with loss of franking credits.

it was a noble act to elect Scomo.

it warmed my heart that people didnt fall for the nasty class warfare of the left

Cool story bro....So how is the Coalition paying for $158 billion in tax cuts as they have no other savings announced to offset this $158 billion tax cut to the wealthy....According to you middle Australia will be paying for it....The well off will pay nothing more for their tax cuts....Were was this announced and what cuts can we expect???

Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print