Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Immediate Loss of Licence (Read 3816 times)
PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Immediate Loss of Licence
May 20th, 2019 at 11:11am

Quote:
From today, anyone caught drink-driving or under the influence of drugs in NSW will immediately lose their licence and face a fine of more than $500.

Previously, only those who have a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher cop an immediate licence suspension.

For drink drivers caught by police it means they will have to get out of their car and walk home. Under previous legislation, they could keep their licence while they went to court

LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Immediate Loss of Licence
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2019 at 11:28am

ouch... that seems harsh.....

human beings can be so stooooopid...

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:15pm

cods wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 11:28am:

I can't make out what it's about.  Control?  Revenue?  Getting x-number of cars off congested roads? 

68 road deaths in a year is worse than no deaths of course, but when you take into account the multi millions of car trips per year, including vast distances, poor roads, fatigue, etc., 68 deaths is a minute percentage of all trips completed without incident

I forget the stats, but it's close to 3 a day commit suicide (just looked it up -- 8 per day in 2015 LINK

if they take away someone's licence re: the new 'one drop' rule, they're taking away someone's ability to earn a living in many instances -- for a tipple of sherry, a small glass of beer, etc.  So bound to be suicides as result of loss of licence, loss of livlihood, inability to pay rent, support a family, etc.

Then the wholesale slaughter of Australian women.  And people will contest that description of what's going on by claiming we have one of the lowest domestic violence/murder rates, etc.  But from the standpoint of the public, it's one and more women a day being murdered and even when the killers are caught and sentenced, they can be  back out on the streets in well under ten years.  Compared with draconian cancellation of a driver's licence for one drop of alcohol, murderers are getting off very lightly

I rarely if ever drink and gave my car away close to ten years ago, so I don't have a vested interest.  Just think NSW govt. is being extremely heavy handed with its zero alcohol laws.  Oh, and am not a drug user either

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:16pm

What a great move!

I hope Victoria picks up those changes.  Cool

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:33pm

It's not bloody hard, if you don't want to lose your license don't drive when drinking.
Get a $100 breathalyser to keep in your car, get an Uber.

IBI

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:43pm

Gordon wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 12:33pm:
It's not bloody hard, if you don't want to lose your license don't drive when drinking.

Yeah I have to agree.
Those who are not in control of themselves will be the ones that get done.
I have never been caught DUI. I'd also add that I personally believe I have never been DUI......on the public road.
I am aware you can still be charged on private property so I would be guilty of an offence there on more than one occasion, but definitely never on public roads.

At the moment I have a license,  if I drink I stand to lose it.........all in on blackCheesy
Show some control people.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:44pm

Bit unrealistic

Lunch with a friend.  Small glass wine.  Drive back to work, well under the previous limit

bit of marijuana.  Drive to the shops a hour or two later, almost assuredly more alert and competent than overweight women on the school run, nattering on their phone, playing with their hair, too fat to turn properly to look in the back or even turn the wheel full lock.  Or Fred and Marge who go shopping once a week with Fred half blind and suffering intermittent blood flow to the brain

maybe Gladys is trying to reduce NSW population via nanny-state laws

and maybe she should get someone to dust for colombian marching powder at the top end of town

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:46pm

PZ547 wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 12:44pm:

Bit unrealistic

Lunch with a friend.  Small glass wine.  Drive back to work, well under the previous limit

bit of marijuana.  Drive to the shops a hour or two later, almost assuredly more alert and competent than overweight women on the school run, nattering on their phone, playing with their hair, too fat to turn properly to look in the back or even turn the wheel full lock.  Or Fred and Marge who go shopping once a week with Fred half blind and suffering intermittent blood flow to the brain

and maybe she should get someone to dust for colombian marching powder at the top end of town

Id sack their arse instantly if they worked for me.
Show up fit for work or piss off. You not only endanger yourself but every one around you.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:47pm

Captain Caveman wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 12:46pm:

Bit unrealistic

Show up fit for work or piss off. You not only endanger yourself but every one around you.

seriously?

women/girls working in childcare often share a bottle of wine at lunchtime or afternoon tea to celebrate a birthday or similar

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:51pm

Bit unrealistic

Let me tell you something, police LOVE catching people for drugged driving around my way.

I drive a soccer mum's car with a baby seat usually full of kids crap so they don't get the kit out for me at the RBT, but in the east subs, which probably has the highest cocaine usage in Australia, when they pull up a young cat in fancy car, they usually make them 'lick the stick'.

IBI

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:55pm

Gordon wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 12:51pm:

Bit unrealistic

Let me tell you something, police LOVE catching people for drugged driving around my way.

I drive a soccer mum's car with a baby seat usually full of kids crap so they don't get the kit out for me at the RBT, but in the east subs, which probably has the highest cocaine usage in Australia, when they pull up a young cat in fancy car, they usually make them 'lick the stick'.

What exactly are you telling me?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #11 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:56pm

PZ547 wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 12:55pm:

Bit unrealistic

I was telling you this happens, regularly.

IBI

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 20th, 2019 at 12:59pm

Gordon wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 12:56pm:

Bit unrealistic

by top end of town, I mean the legal, medical, political, etc. communities -- in other words, many of those who undertake to impose laws on you and me

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #13 - May 20th, 2019 at 1:01pm

PZ547 wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 12:59pm:

Bit unrealistic

by top end of town, I mean the legal, medical, political, etc. communities -- in other words, many of those who undertake to impose laws on you and me

Mate, I see the RBT set up on New South Head Road about 2 days a week stopping Maseratis, Teslas etc etc.

IBI

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2019 at 1:07pm

Gordon wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 1:01pm:
PZ547 wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 12:59pm:

Bit unrealistic

Mate, I see the RBT set up on New South Head Road about 2 days a week stopping Maseratis, Teslas etc etc.

So what

My comment was about rampant hypocricy and old Norm trying to get home after having a drink -- A drink -- with his mate Bluey who's dying of cancer

Norm and Bluey can't afford a taxi home. They can function well or even better after that drink.  They haven't had a ticket for 20 or more years.  They're entitled to that drink and it endangers no one as proven by the fact that yesterday, it would have been legal

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - May 20th, 2019 at 1:07pm

PZ547 wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 12:47pm:

Bit unrealistic

seriously?

women/girls working in childcare often share a bottle of wine at lunchtime or afternoon tea to celebrate a birthday or similar

Yep. Drink outside of work hours. Everyone has a duty to be fit for work.

My workplace has a 0 tolerance for alcohol and drugs. Most work sites do.
As for childcare....not sure but I recon it would be the same Australia over. To much risk involved in turning a blind eye. The solicitors blood sucking, life draining parasites would have a field day should something go wrong, even If alcohol was not involved. Then the workers comp and insurances.....to risky to have employees drinking, even small amounts.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2019 at 1:11pm

Captain Caveman wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 1:07pm:

Bit unrealistic

seriously?

As for childcare....not sure but I recon it would be the same Australia over. To much risk involved in turning a blind eye. The solicitors blood sucking, life draining parasites would have a field day should something go wrong, even If alcohol was not involved. Then the workers comp and insurances.....to risky to have employees drinking, even small amounts.

for argument's sake

do you really believe Hawke went teetotal for the entirety of his time in office --- or even gave up drinking at all?  I don't.  And he 'ran' the country

I get what you're saying about insurance, but a drink or two in everyman's reckoning is not anything to get hysterical about

it's not long ago that surgeons imbibed on the job, said it helped their nerves and concentration

they were/are giving babies brandy in their bottles to make them sleep

No, this new one-drop law has an agenda but I very much doubt it has anything to do with public safety

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - May 20th, 2019 at 1:55pm

PZ547 wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 1:11pm:

Bit unrealistic

seriously?

for argument's sake

do you really believe Hawke went teetotal for the entirety of his time in office --- or even gave up drinking at all?  I don't.  And he 'ran' the country

I get what you're saying about insurance, but a drink or two in everyman's reckoning is not anything to get hysterical about

it's not long ago that surgeons imbibed on the job, said it helped their nerves and concentration

they were/are giving babies brandy in their bottles to make them sleep

No, this new one-drop law has an agenda but I very much doubt it has anything to do with public safety

Oh I totally agree. It never is about our safety. Look at speed cameras.
We have cameras parked on the side of the road taking photos of speeding motorists. They don't stop that motorist speeding yet that motorist still gets the fine. If that car then goes on to have a collision with another vehicle and killed all occupants, bar the speeding motorist, then technically the speed camera opwrator is partly at fault because that cameras operator, as a safety officer, has a duty to stop that speeding motorist...yet he did not...and yes he is a safety officer. The van has ROAD SAFETY CAMERA plastered down the side of it.
These vans raise millions. No doubt this will too.

Now for the drop at work. Mate, I grew up when we could drink at work. We had beer in our fridge all the time. The boss was a piss head. Hands shaped like xxxx tins. It is the solicitors that have stopped that because the out of control workers would drink to much and go crash a car or kill themselves/someone else or whatever. The solicitors through time gathered momentum to say that the workplace supplied it so they are responsible for it,  not the person drinking it? WTF??? So that is now why we now have zero tolerance towards drinking at work, anytime. The business now suffers more than the weak employee that had to drink to much and if my business is at risk because some broad wants a few sherbets at lunch then she can go and work for someone else afaiac.

One thing I take into buisiness,  there are no mates in business.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2019 at 3:00pm by Captain Caveman »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2019 at 2:05pm

PZ547 wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 12:15pm:

I can't make out what it's about.  Control?  Revenue?  Getting x-number of cars off congested roads? 

68 road deaths in a year is worse than no deaths of course, but when you take into account the multi millions of car trips per year, including vast distances, poor roads, fatigue, etc., 68 deaths is a minute percentage of all trips completed without incident

I forget the stats, but it's close to 3 a day commit suicide (just looked it up -- 8 per day in 2015 LINK

if they take away someone's licence re: the new 'one drop' rule, they're taking away someone's ability to earn a living in many instances -- for a tipple of sherry, a small glass of beer, etc.  So bound to be suicides as result of loss of licence, loss of livlihood, inability to pay rent, support a family, etc.

Then the wholesale slaughter of Australian women.  And people will contest that description of what's going on by claiming we have one of the lowest domestic violence/murder rates, etc.  But from the standpoint of the public, it's one and more women a day being murdered and even when the killers are caught and sentenced, they can be  back out on the streets in well under ten years.  Compared with draconian cancellation of a driver's licence for one drop of alcohol, murderers are getting off very lightly

I rarely if ever drink and gave my car away close to ten years ago, so I don't have a vested interest.  Just think NSW govt. is being extremely heavy handed with its zero alcohol laws.  Oh, and am not a drug user either

we need to be sensible about this......give it a trial...lets be honest what would you or I do if one of our own was killed by a drink driver???????????..

its unforgivable to kill someone when drunk ... and we are all different when it comes to alcohol tolerance...

the fact that many more are not killed is really pure luck.....

if we do not heed a warning   which a FINE is......then we need extra strong consequences.....

so I say lets see if anything changes.before we write  it off..

more and more women are getting caught over the limit with children in their cars...

nothing seems to get the message across....

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #19 - May 20th, 2019 at 2:40pm

Anybody driving over the alcohol limit or under the influence of drugs should be banned immediately.......absolutely no question..

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - May 20th, 2019 at 2:44pm

Eventually the alcohol limit will be zero.

Then there is no way you can miscalculate the drinks, just dont drink if you are driving,,, simple.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2019 at 2:58pm

miketrees wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 2:44pm:

Then there is no way you can miscalculate the drinks, just dont drink if you are driving,,, simple.

I was going to say that this may be where they are going with this move.
Introduce it....still not working. That's it. ZERO. Everyone suffers.

It already is zero if you drive heavy vehicle.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #22 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:13pm

I think it is a $600 fine, six-month loss of licence for people that get caught with a BAC of 0.05, minimum. I saw a lawyer plead guilty to low-range drink driving, a few months back. The judge took into account the defendant's alcoholism, remorse, and early plea, and fined him the above penalty.

This is not out of the ordinary.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:42pm

Remember the good old colonial days when the Cops and Soldiers could get drunk, sell rum and molest a convict woman in return for a piece of bread.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:58pm

Bit unrealistic

seriously?

I have a .02 limit at work. which means I can scull a beer in the carpark and arrive at work under the limit.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 20th, 2019 at 5:02pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 4:13pm:

I think it is a $600 fine, six-month loss of licence for people that get caught with a BAC of 0.05, minimum. I saw a lawyer plead guilty to low-range drink driving, a few months back. The judge took into account the defendant's alcoholism, remorse, and early plea, and fined him the above penalty.

This is not out of the ordinary.

and those fines dont stop anything do they????...

in fact the govt makes huge money out of misery... which drink driving usually causes.... when a say drink I mean anything that alters your perspective...

and just quietly I think ZERO alcohol   is also part of the answer...... Sad Sad  we are a mean inconsiderate group of arseholes..lets face it. Angry

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - May 20th, 2019 at 5:04pm

rhino wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 4:58pm:

Bit unrealistic

seriously?

I have a .02 limit at work. which means I can scull a beer in the carpark and arrive at work under the limit.

rhino I sincerely hope you are not in charge of dangerous machinery where you work....

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #27 - May 20th, 2019 at 5:37pm

We have a zero tolerance policy where I work and random drug and alcohol tests are carried out regularly.

And each and every time
ALL MANAGERS are required to participate every time.

I believe that alcohol and drugs are the primary cause of road accidents
Not this bull shite speed they keep going on about
But enforcing speed in a draconian way is perfect for a lazy, greedy and incompetent grubberment.

It also fits in nicely to the low IQ cops who only have to see the little red light come on and they can chase a car and book them.
No hard decisions like, I wonder what page in the book that crime is.

Just look at the deadbeats who booked that fool using his mobility scooter to transport his boat.
They didn't have a clue what laws he had broken, they had to go back to the station and have a brainstorming ( or brain cell storming) session to work it out.

And for the grubberment, speed enforcement is the answer to all their prayers.
Set up lots of inaccurate cameras 24-7 and simply reap the profits.
Then, just to make sure that revenue is ongoing,  they change speed limits every few metres and at different times of the day.

Kleptocrat, lazy, greedy, incompetent, morally corrupt, criminal grubberment.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - May 20th, 2019 at 5:40pm

Bit unrealistic

seriously?

I'm calling bullshit. Anything happened to a kid and they were found to be drinking they would be strung up.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - May 20th, 2019 at 6:00pm

John Smith wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 5:40pm:

Bit unrealistic

seriously?

I'm calling bullshit. Anything happened to a kid and they were found to be drinking they would be strung up.

You're always calling bullshit

it's how you pretend to have power

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - May 20th, 2019 at 6:02pm

PZ547 wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 6:00pm:
John Smith wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 5:40pm:

Bit unrealistic

seriously?

You're always calling bullshit

it's how you pretend to have power

I've never professed to having any powers .... apart from spotting obvious bullshit. But I don't think of that as a power, it's just common sense.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - May 20th, 2019 at 6:41pm

Bit unrealistic

Miam miam.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:07pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 6:41pm:

Bit unrealistic

Miam miam.

No faintly elongated shape is safe from you, Paki. You will suck on anything with relish.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:20pm

Captain Caveman wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 2:58pm:
miketrees wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 2:44pm:

I was going to say that this may be where they are going with this move.
Introduce it....still not working. That's it. ZERO. Everyone suffers.

It already is zero if you drive heavy vehicle. 

Or if on P plates....

As a train driver I'm zero... when on the premises.

I can drive my car to work under .05 but once signed on the job... zero.

I don't agree with "a drink on the way home or at lunch".

Very easy to have more than the limit.... especially with wine.

There's just no need or excuse to drink and drive today.

Yet idiots keep doing it.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:38pm

Valkie wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 5:37pm:
We have a zero tolerance policy where I work and random drug and alcohol tests are carried out regularly.

And each and every time
ALL MANAGERS are required to participate every time.

I believe that alcohol and drugs are the primary cause of road accidents
Not this bull shite speed they keep going on about
But enforcing speed in a draconian way is perfect for a lazy, greedy and incompetent grubberment.

It also fits in nicely to the low IQ cops who only have to see the little red light come on and they can chase a car and book them.
No hard decisions like, I wonder what page in the book that crime is.

Just look at the deadbeats who booked that fool using his mobility scooter to transport his boat.
They didn't have a clue what laws he had broken, they had to go back to the station and have a brainstorming ( or brain cell storming) session to work it out.

And for the grubberment, speed enforcement is the answer to all their prayers.
Set up lots of inaccurate cameras 24-7 and simply reap the profits.
Then, just to make sure that revenue is ongoing,  they change speed limits every few metres and at different times of the day.

Kleptocrat, lazy, greedy, incompetent, morally corrupt, criminal grubberment.

30% of road fatalities in Australia are due to drink driving.......

What does that say about the other 70 % involved that are zero/sober?

To me that means of that 70% majority of other fatalities there are too many unsuitable idiots behind the wheel.

https://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/russian/en/article/2018/01/06/too-high-30-fa...

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #35 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:01pm

Ya know what?

Quote:

That is an excellent observation and yet it seems that just about 100% of Copper resources go into detecting drink/drug drivers.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:07pm

Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 7:38pm:

they were stoned

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - May 20th, 2019 at 9:05pm

Bit unrealistic

seriously?

Wow.
Is that to allow for mouth wash etc. Although that stuff blows the bag at around .14 if done straight away. It quickly dies off though.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #38 - May 20th, 2019 at 9:11pm

Mattyfisk wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 6:41pm:

Bit unrealistic

Miam miam.

Do you like the new digital breathalizers or do you prefer the old school blowing in a bag?

IBI

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #39 - May 20th, 2019 at 9:33pm

In the 60 years of my life

I have only had a handful of sips of alcohol at wedding toasts.

The only drugs I have taken were prescription.

This is because I was a state swimmer, competitive martial artist and played semi professional tennis.

Alcohol, drugs and smoking were really really bad for your performance.
So , right up to 15 years ago, I never partook of any of the bad things because I was competing.
A
15 years ago, I broke my back.
But I still have no time for alcohol,  drugs or smoking.
At 60, the only medication I take is blood pressure tablets.
I am still quite healthy, can still swim 2.5 Kim in under an hour and do all my own renovations.

Pumping shite into your body does not make you better,  it only dull your senses.
I have seen so many people suffer at the hands of alcohol,  drugs and smokes.
I have lost several friends, family and work colleagues.

Banning drunks and drug addicts will make a tremendous difference to the road toll.
The amount of difference will depend on how much effort they put into enforcement.

My wife has been driving 30 years
And to this day, she has never been tested.
They seriously need to put more effort into catching drunks and drugged drivers.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #40 - May 20th, 2019 at 9:40pm

Work does not tolerate any level of intoxication. I did, when I was working at a pizza delivery store, scull a bourbon and coke on a delivery NYE 2004/2005. Got back to the store and went on another delivery. Straight up got pulled over for an rbt. The officer asked if I had been drinking at all. I told him that it had been 5 minutes prior. He told me to submit to a breath test. He took the reading. Had a look at the results. Paused. Then decided "Yeah, alright" and let me off. He probably saw a reading of 0.04, and factored in the mouth alcohol and let me go. I was on my opens anyway, and would have got away with a clearance based on that fact. Nightclubs would give me a free drink on occasion doing deliveries there.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:04pm

Valkie wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 9:33pm:

This is because I was a state swimmer, competitive martial artist and played semi professional tennis.

So , right up to 15 years ago, I never partook of any of the bad things because I was competing.
A
I am still quite healthy, can still swim 2.5 Kim in under an hour and do all my own renovations.

Pumping shite into your body does not make you better,  it only dull your senses.

Banning drunks and drug addicts will make a tremendous difference to the road toll.
The amount of difference will depend on how much effort they put into enforcement.

They seriously need to put more effort into catching drunks and drugged drivers.

😂You've Been super active, fit, and are on BP tablets?

Goes to show you should have enjoyed life a tad more you don't know what you've missed. Wink

I quit smoking when I was 21 ...63 now, played contact sport, drank like a fish, partied hard...

slowed up large ... haven't had a hang over for 13 yrs...

I'm on BP medication too... but I bet I'm a bit heavier than you....

And I've been off work since February with spinal disc and sciatic problems.  Grin

But I've had a great sampling of life up to then.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:06pm

Aussie wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:01pm:
Ya know what?

Quote:

That is an excellent observation and yet it seems that just about 100% of Copper resources go into detecting drink/drug drivers.

How do you detect/predict that 70 %?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #43 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:14pm

It's a good way to cut down on all the congestion on the roads.
Maybe one day, only the privileged will be able to drive?  Wink Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:21pm

Jasin wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 10:14pm:
It's a good way to cut down on all the congestion on the roads.
Maybe one day, only the privileged will be able to drive?  Wink Cheesy

think of all those breathalyzer vans  being made redundant Roll Eyes....... no!! we need a few baddies out there just to prove how goody goody the rest of us are...

I dont mean killing anyone just breaking the law and getting caught...

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:38pm

cods wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 5:04pm:

Bit unrealistic

seriously?

rhino I sincerely hope you are not in charge of dangerous machinery where you work....
Much worse Im afraid. However I was making a point. i never drink in the morning.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:44pm

rhino   if you are not joking    then you have a problem sir....and your heart and your liver and your brain   will be letting you know real soon...

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #47 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:50pm

Five years ago, I would have called you a bit of a wowser. I would drink just about every week. I think I would have a drinking session every week, at least once a week, between the ages of 22 to age 30. It started catching up to me around age 29. "It" being the weight gain and the development of prediabetes. But, it did not really stop me until I was about age 31, when I cut back to a once a fortnight/month. I did go without booze for about 2 months in 2010.

I went a long period of time sober in 2013, 2015, low drinking levels in 2016, 2017, and 2018. So far, this year, I have gone 5 months without any booze. I still have not reached that point where I don't feel like not drinking. But, it is easy to drive passed a bottleshop without the desire to go inside. Facebook has been showing adverts of BWS with their 1000 rewards points if you buy a certain quantity there. Plus, there seems to be no end to the amount of booze in media these days. But, I should be able to make it to the end of 2019 without any alcohol.

By 2015, the doctor told me that I was then diabetic (not just prediabetes) and that I had to counter the problem before it got worse. Perhaps this year, I have suffered the "worse" part of the diabetes, which is why I have not gotten over my desire for alcohol as quickly as I did in 2015. Some of the symptoms have been excessive thirst, blurred vision, weight gain, fatigue, bad breath, and tingling in both the hands and feet (though not as bad as I understand it with serious cases others have had). I got on top of my medication this year, with the help of the doctor. She put me onto xigduo. That medication has done me wonders.

I have also discovered some other treatments that have helped me get through the year. I won't mention it online, since it is my secret weapon now. But, jogging, and cutting down on the sugar has done immense help for me. Last week, I took a hot, black tea in a thermos cannister to the movies to drink whilst I watched a movie. Enjoyed the movie, and could remember the storyline a lot better.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #48 - May 20th, 2019 at 11:00pm

Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 7:38pm:

To me that means of that 70% majority of other fatalities there are too many unsuitable idiots behind the wheel.

There was a list conducted:

Speeding
Drink driving
Drug driving
Medication & driving
Seat belts
Fatigue
Distraction​​

I was nearly in a car accident because of fatigue. I was exhausted after a night of only 3 hours of sleep. I thought I could make it through the night after a big mug of coffee earlier. But, no. Two hours into the shift, I was swerving over the road to the point that I had to pull the car over and close my eyes. I set an alarm on my phone to ring in 5 minutes. I closed my eyes and was asleep inside 30 seconds. Woke to my alarm ringing. Rubbed my eyes, started the vehicle and headed back to work. I was, in fact, eating up my employer's hours having a power nap. But, I had to do that to save myself from getting into a car accident.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #49 - May 20th, 2019 at 11:07pm

A friend of mine lost their license for 6 months
after having only 2 pots of beer.
That 2 x  285ml glasses.
He was exactly 0.05 so right on the lower limit.
He thought the judge would throw the case out
but instead he got severely punished.

If we would have run up & down on the spot for 5 minutes  he would have burnt
up some alcohol & been 0.049 and got away with it.

It seems unfair to me.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #50 - May 20th, 2019 at 11:32pm

Every civilised state has a lowest level alcohol reading of 0.08 ........ Australia has obviously chosen to drop out of the civilised world and become part of a neo-Asian style despotism, rather than the free democracy instilled in it by its forefathers....

The 'government' decrees - the peasants swallow it while the government and its mates make hay...

I think it's time to take up arms, brothers and sisters... and take back the asylum from the WOPs and their -ophiles handling it these days...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - May 20th, 2019 at 11:36pm

Bobby. wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 11:07pm:
That 2 x  285ml glasses.

It seems unfair to me.

I tried this - get a reading - then take deep breaths for a minute or so - the reading goes down....

This breath testing is bullshit... if you add more air/oxygen to the mix by deep breathing and forced exhalation, it stands to reason the BCA will fall.  Out with the alcohol air - in with the good!!

Works a charm....

I am very wary of this equivalence of alcohol with drugs that is now taking over the discussion... ZERO road accidents occur at 0.05........ Bullshit!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #52 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:02am

That 2 x  285ml glasses.

It seems unfair to me.

If that was the case, he should have opted for the 15 minutes to allow for the mouth alcohol to dissipate. I feel that if he blew 0.05, he would have been over a little more than that when he finished drinking. I was told by a co-worker, back when I was on my provisional licence, that I could opt to wait 15 minutes, if I was unsure what my blood alcohol was. On a privisional licence, we can be allowed up to 0.02 before we are considered in breach of our licence conditions. A packet of tic-tacs could potentially put us over the limit.

I would rather be 10 minutes late for work rather than risk a loss of licence and fine.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #53 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:16am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 11:36pm:
I tried this - get a reading - then take deep breaths for a minute or so - the reading goes down....

This breath testing is bullshit... if you add more air/oxygen to the mix by deep breathing and forced exhalation, it stands to reason the BCA will fall.  Out with the alcohol air - in with the good!!

Works a charm....

I am very wary of this equivalence of alcohol with drugs that is now taking over the discussion... ZERO road accidents occur at 0.05........ Bullshit!!

Deep breathing does almost nothing to bring down your blood alcohol readings on a breathalyser. You would have to gulp down half a litre of water for any good to come of anything relatable. Breath tests are not a good accurate source of finding out how drunk or sober a driver. But, it is reliable enough tactic to keep people from thinking twice before driving.

For example, a friend of mine was at a nightclub. He was driving home as the designated driver. But, he was still going to have a drink before heading home. He purchased a can of rum and cola and was about to drink it. Then, his friend wanted to go home that minute -- a good hour earlier than planned. He told his friend "Yeah, hold up a minute. I want to drink this first". He guzzled the drink and proceeded out of the club. About 1km of driving down the road -- 5 minutes after finishing his drink -- the driver was pulled over for a breath test. He told the officer that he just had finished an alcoholic beverage. The officer told him to take the breath test, regardless.
The results showed a null alcohol reading. The officer told the driver "Don't lie to me that you have been drinking". Obviously, that breathalyser was busted that time.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:27am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 12:16am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 11:36pm:

Works a charm....

Deep breathing does almost nothing to bring down your blood alcohol readings on a breathalyser. You would have to gulp down half a litre of water for any good to come of anything relatable. Breath tests are not a good accurate source of finding out how drunk or sober a driver. But, it is reliable enough tactic to keep people from thinking twice before driving.

For example, a friend of mine was at a nightclub. He was driving home as the designated driver. But, he was still going to have a drink before heading home. He purchased a can of rum and cola and was about to drink it. Then, his friend wanted to go home that minute -- a good hour earlier than planned. He told his friend "Yeah, hold up a minute. I want to drink this first". He guzzled the drink and proceeded out of the club. About 1km of driving down the road -- 5 minutes after finishing his drink -- the driver was pulled over for a breath test. He told the officer that he just had finished an alcoholic beverage. The officer told him to take the breath test, regardless.
The results showed a null alcohol reading. The officer told the driver "Don't lie to me that you have been drinking". Obviously, that breathalyser was busted that time.

Ya reckon?  I've tried it and it works - think it through..... do you seriously believe that a fully taken in breath on top of a number of such does not contain more air than the alcohol content and thus reduce a reading?

You are a believer in what the powers-that-would-like- to-be want you to believe... that their tests are infallible....   Grin

If only it were so...

What about the false equivalence of 0.05 (zero accidents) with drugs?

I've had that argument in court - if an airliner requires three different computers to resolve its path etc - how is it that a single test on speed radar or breath testing is 'sufficient'?  And how often are those machines calibrated?

(I know - I used to deliver them to the calibrating point - once a month) ... now if a machine needs calibrating once a month - who is to say when it is accurate or not?

Anyway - what is this false equation of drugs with low level booze?

The entire PCA rort is all about power and grabbing money from ordinary people.

― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #55 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:30am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 11:32pm:
Every civilised state has a lowest level alcohol reading of 0.08 ........ Australia has obviously chosen to drop out of the civilised world and become part of a neo-Asian style despotism, rather than the free democracy instilled in it by its forefathers....

The 'government' decrees - the peasants swallow it while the government and its mates make hay...

I think it's time to take up arms, brothers and sisters... and take back the asylum from the WOPs and their -ophiles handling it these days...

I could down a couple of glasses of scotch and colas inside an hour and then wait for the BAC reading to reach 0.05. I would be sure that the 'slight' intoxication would be high enough for me to have less driving ability and considerably enough to increase the likelihood of having an accident by 3x.

Why the hell would anyone want to get behind the wheel if they have had a few drinks? Go sober and drive. Or don't drive at all.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:38am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 12:30am:

I could down a couple of glasses of scotch and colas inside an hour and then wait for the BAC reading to reach 0.05. I would be sure that the 'slight' intoxication would be high enough for me to have less driving ability and considerably enough to increase the likelihood of having an accident by 3x.

Why the hell would anyone want to get behind the wheel if they have had a few drinks? Go sober and drive. Or don't drive at all.

That's it in a nutshell - the sell is some pie-in-the-sky possibility of having an accident as opposed to the reality that at 0.05 NO accidents are caused due to intoxication.  There are usually multiple factors in all accidents .... and who came up with these figures anyway?

Define 'sober' for us.... if you will... is it like courage.. a somewhat indefinable characteristic based on circumstances?

I'm on drink six and still arguing and typing with high accuracy.....

What is sober?  Is it the mad rush into the enemy's fire .. or is it the steady endurance of what is unendurable?  Or is it something else that can be quantified by a few academics given funding to suit an agenda?

Are THEY sober given that they are intoxicated with the power and the cash of finding in the positive for their funding?  What a rush - they should not be permitted to drive for 24 hours....

― John Adams

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - May 21st, 2019 at 2:07am

Fuzzball wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 2:40pm:
Anybody driving over the alcohol limit or under the influence of drugs should be banned immediately.......absolutely no question..

As of yesterday, there IS no 'alcohol limit'

The new policy is ZERO alcohol limit, not a drop or immediate loss of licence, presumably for life, and $560 fine, lock the car, walk home

Before yesterday, the alcohol limit was (according to the linked news item) 0.08.  That was considered 'safe'. 

From yesterday (Monday) 0.08 is not safe

So until yesterday, if you blew 0.07, you were fine

after yesterday, 0.000001 would result in immediate loss of licence and $560 fine, lock your car, walk away, you're done, licence gone

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - May 21st, 2019 at 3:13am

PZ547 wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 2:07am:

The new policy is ZERO alcohol limit, not a drop or immediate loss of licence, presumably for life, and $560 fine, lock the car, walk home

Before yesterday, the alcohol limit was (according to the linked news item) 0.08.  That was considered 'safe'. 

after yesterday, 0.000001 would result in immediate loss of licence and $560 fine, lock your car, walk away, you're done, licence gone

Up to .05 is still ok, there has to be some leeway or people would get done for using mouthwash.
A stubbie would be ok.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #59 - May 21st, 2019 at 3:47am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 12:27am:
Ya reckon?  I've tried it and it works - think it through..... do you seriously believe that a fully taken in breath on top of a number of such does not contain more air than the alcohol content and thus reduce a reading?

You are a believer in what the powers-that-would-like- to-be want you to believe... that their tests are infallible....   Grin

If only it were so...

What about the false equivalence of 0.05 (zero accidents) with drugs?

It does not make a difference in how deep your breath. The breathalyzer will analyze a certain content of your breath. And the alcohol with be sensed up to 13 hours after your last drink.

You can rinse your mouth out with water. You can eat food before you start drinking. But only time will lower your blood alcohol concentration. You would need a metabolism of "The Flash" to have the ability to burn off alcohol in your system within 10 minutes of your last drink. Your friend needed to wait half an hour after his drink to have had a chance at passing a breath test after drinking two 285mL beers. Tell him to opt for a 15 minute grace period to let his mouth dissipate the blood alcohol.

And as for mixing alcohol with drugs, I can tell you stories about mixing alcohol with medication. I got so blind drunk at a party, I could not understand why I could not handle the alcohol. I drank 3/4th a bottle of rum over a 4 hour period that I should have been able to handle the alcohol, even at 18 years of age. It turned out that I had a reaction of mixing alcohol on top of some medication that I had been taking. I was still at the naive stage not knowing the limits of what the body can handle. If someone is on medication, they should not be drinking much at all.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #60 - May 21st, 2019 at 3:57am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 12:38am:
That's it in a nutshell - the sell is some pie-in-the-sky possibility of having an accident as opposed to the reality that at 0.05 NO accidents are caused due to intoxication.  There are usually multiple factors in all accidents .... and who came up with these figures anyway?

Define 'sober' for us.... if you will... is it like courage.. a somewhat indefinable characteristic based on circumstances?

What is sober?  Is it the mad rush into the enemy's fire .. or is it the steady endurance of what is unendurable?  Or is it something else that can be quantified by a few academics given funding to suit an agenda?

Are THEY sober given that they are intoxicated with the power and the cash of finding in the positive for their funding?  What a rush - they should not be permitted to drive for 24 hours....

I have been sober for about 5 months. I have started forgetting what it was like to be drunk. But, my dreams have become more lucid and enjoyable.

Sober is basically non-intoxication. If you have had no alcohol in your system, that period of time is when you are sober. Because of my diabetes, I have considered just quitting alcohol for good. Or atleast until I can get my diabetes under control.

I can't even play Mario Bros 3 drunk, or without losing interest really quickly. But, I have noticed that I sober up during game play if I am really concentrating on winning. But, if I have enough drinks to get to 0.05 BAC, I would be more self-conscious about being pulled over.

With this oncoming cold, I want to get drunk on rum and colas. But, I want to stick to my sobriety until I can show that I can go a year without drinking.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - May 21st, 2019 at 4:05am

Finally some clarification by the media

The new laws will impose immediate loss of licence for three months plus an on the spot fine of $561

and those penalties apply, according to the latest media reports, to anyone caught with a blood reading of 0.05 or above

so it's not zero alcohol as previously implied

in which case, the new, tougher laws are fine with me

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #62 - May 21st, 2019 at 5:15am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 12:02am:
That 2 x  285ml glasses.

It seems unfair to me.

If that was the case, he should have opted for the 15 minutes to allow for the mouth alcohol to dissipate. I feel that if he blew 0.05, he would have been over a little more than that when he finished drinking. I was told by a co-worker, back when I was on my provisional licence, that I could opt to wait 15 minutes, if I was unsure what my blood alcohol was. On a privisional licence, we can be allowed up to 0.02 before we are considered in breach of our licence conditions. A packet of tic-tacs could potentially put us over the limit.

I would rather be 10 minutes late for work rather than risk a loss of licence and fine.

But alcohol is a form of energy that is burnt up by the muscles.
When you exercise, it's used up.
It wouldm't take much exercise to change it from .050 to 0.049.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #63 - May 21st, 2019 at 5:17am

Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 10:04pm:

A

😂You've Been super active, fit, and are on BP tablets?

Goes to show you should have enjoyed life a tad more you don't know what you've missed. Wink

I quit smoking when I was 21 ...63 now, played contact sport, drank like a fish, partied hard...

slowed up large ... haven't had a hang over for 13 yrs...

I'm on BP medication too... but I bet I'm a bit heavier than you....

And I've been off work since February with spinal disc and sciatic problems.  Grin

But I've had a great sampling of life up to then.

You probably have the same issues as I.

The genes, my mother had uncontrollably high BP, and yet my father, right up to his death at 90, had perfect BP.

My wife has cholesterol issues, she is one of the healthiest eaters you will find, but she still has high cholesterol and early onset diabetes.

I eat everything that's bad for you, and my cholesterol is near perfect.

The genes account for 80% of your body's issues.
My wife has had to have knee replacement and has other arthritis issues, she has never been particularly active in sport etc.
I have played sport most of My life, jumped off cliffs, spelunking,  martial arts, motorcycles, football, etc.
Yet physically, I'm quite ok.
Yes, I broke my back, but that was because I fell off a roof.
I healed and live a good life despite that small setback.

I have mates and friends who have been both active and healthy
Only to deteriorate when the get older.

Its a lottery, some win some dont.

But alcohol and drugs really do screw up the odds
And putting these unnatural chemicals into your body will only see it go bad.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - May 21st, 2019 at 5:27am

PZ547 wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 4:05am:

Finally some clarification by the media

The new laws will impose immediate loss of licence for three months plus an on the spot fine of $561

and those penalties apply, according to the latest media reports, to anyone caught with a blood reading of 0.05 or above

so it's not zero alcohol as previously implied

in which case, the new, tougher laws are fine with me

Ahh. I wondered what you were on about.  Cheesy

I read it as you have above. Still okay to drink a few but if you're over, you're gawwwnnn. No work license. No exceptions.
At work though....ZERO, or as per the employment contract. In rhinos case .02.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #65 - May 21st, 2019 at 8:41am

"Big Government is bad, too much regulation and intrusion in our lives"

How about you don't drink and drive you bloody idiots...

Stop making everything an ideological war and do the right thing for once... Just once...

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:33pm

SadKangaroo wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 8:41am:
"Big Government is bad, too much regulation and intrusion in our lives"

How about you don't drink and drive you bloody idiots...

Stop making everything an ideological war and do the right thing for once... Just once...

Kinda smooths out the road, ya know?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - May 21st, 2019 at 12:35pm

Knew a guy who went jogging every morning - went just like that! ** clicks fingers**

Truck hit him...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - May 21st, 2019 at 4:34pm

Australia is the worst nanny country in the world, don't go Jaywalking.

In the old days you would measure a trip by how many stubbies it would take, if they took away the privilege of having a beer and driving there would be a revolution in this country.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - May 21st, 2019 at 5:52pm

Johnnie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 4:34pm:

when was the last time someone got done for jaywalking? I've done it in front of cops and they didn't even blink.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #70 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:03pm

John Smith wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 5:52pm:

when was the last time someone got done for jaywalking? I've done it in front of cops and they didn't even blink.

In Australia, it is illegal to start crossing the road at an intersection if a pedestrian light is red or flashing red. If no such pedestrian light exists, the traffic lights are used, making it illegal to proceed on red or orange. ... States set their own fines for jaywalking' it is AU$50 in Western Australia.

There is no Jaywalking fine is Australia  in the USA you can be fined for crossing a street, in Australia only at a intersection with a red no walk light.... Wink
John is right again.... Wink

I am me

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:07pm

In the old days you would measure a trip by how many stubbies it would take, if they took away the privilege of having a beer and driving there would be a revolution in this country.

I guess you dont know anyone killed by a drunk driver...... Angry...when someone dies killed by a road thug....

the ripple affect is HUGE... Sad

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:09pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 6:03pm:

In Australia, it is illegal to start crossing the road at an intersection if a pedestrian light is red or flashing red. If no such pedestrian light exists, the traffic lights are used, making it illegal to proceed on red or orange. ... States set their own fines for jaywalking' it is AU$50 in Western Australia.

There is no Jaywalking fine is Australia  in the USA you can be fined for crossing a street, in Australia only at a intersection with a red no walk light.... Wink
John is right again.... Wink

actually there is a law .. at least in NSW. You can't cross within 20 m of a traffic light or crossing either. You have to use the facilities provided.

But like i said it's not enforced.

I was told once by a law teacher that there's an old NSW law that says you can't push a pram on a footpath, you have to use the street  Shocked... remnants of days when we rode horses instead of cars. The law still exists in the books, but common sense prevails and it's ignored by the powers that be.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:16pm

You were very lucky, you are a risk taker.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:24pm

cods wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 6:07pm:

I guess you dont know anyone killed by a drunk driver...... Angry...when someone dies killed by a road thug....

I'm talking one beer.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #75 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:30pm

Johnnie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 6:24pm:

I'm talking one beer.

how many stop at one  xeel?....I remember guys getting booked coming back from a liquid lunch   they all claimed they were steady as rocks......

I wouldnt want it on my conscience all the same..

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:35pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 12:38am:
UnSubRocky wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 12:30am:

As a young bloke no one worried much about drinking and driving.... never had an accident when I was full of piss.  Tongue

The couple of small bingles I had I was completely sober and both times the other driver failed to give way.  Grin

Haven't had a drink and drove for over 20 years.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:41pm

well done gnads.... there is a lot more traffic on the roads today than say 30 years ago.....drivers are also more arrogant and rude than they have ever been..

well thats my experience...I dont drink   so its never been my problem......but I remember years ago  it was the norm to drink and drive........in fact you went for a Sunday drive   just to have a beer.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:42pm

PZ547 wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 2:07am:

Where's this?

I don't believe you would lose it for life on a low reading.

Most who go over the limit don't get to drive their car home since limits came in.

The limit in QLD has been under 0.05 for years now.... can't remember how long ago it was under 0.08 just know it's long gone.

Most safety critical workplaces and occupations it's zero and has been for a while as well.

And as I mentioned P players are zero.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #79 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:48pm

It used to be 0.1%.  Then lowered to 0.08% and then to 0.05% in Qld.  In each case, if you were caught, the car was parked up and you found some other way to get home.  There was an automatic 24 hours suspension of the Licence.  In the good old days in the sticks, Pineapple Cabs would drive you home if you were not an arsehole.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - May 21st, 2019 at 6:50pm

cods wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 6:30pm:
Johnnie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 6:24pm:

I'm talking one beer.

how many stop at one  xeel?....I remember guys getting booked coming back from a liquid lunch   they all claimed they were steady as rocks......

I wouldnt want it on my conscience all the same..

The liquid lunch, a different era.

One or two beers up to .05 is fair.

Drivers on valium are ok.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - May 21st, 2019 at 8:11pm

Aussie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 6:48pm:
It used to be 0.1%.  Then lowered to 0.08% and then to 0.05% in Qld.  In each case, if you were caught, the car was parked up and you found some other way to get home.  There was an automatic 24 hours suspension of the Licence.  In the good old days in the sticks, Pineapple Cabs would drive you home if you were not an arsehole.

Yep that's correct.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #82 - May 22nd, 2019 at 3:06am

Bobby. wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 5:15am:
That 2 x  285ml glasses.

It seems unfair to me.

I think you are making my point for me. But, you are not seeing this realistically. Someone who has just finished two glasses of beer is not simply going to think "Oops, better run on the spot for 5 minutes in case I get pulled over for an RBT". They are going to say their goodbyes to their friends at the bar. Then they might take a whiz in the toilet. It might be 5 minutes before they get in the car and start the car for the drive. A police officer can accept that you have only just finished a beer at a tavern, and still have mouth alcohol on them. That greatly elevates the breath test results. That is why you are allowed up to 15 minutes to let your mouth dissipate the alcohol. All you have to do is tell the officer that you just finished a beer at the pub.

But... if the guy you were talking about had finished a beer 30 minutes prior, he might have been over the limit by a fair amount before he got in his car. Two beers can put you at 0.06. It might have lowered down to 0.05 by the time he was pulled over. Even then, if he was not sure, he should have opted to lie that he had only finished a beer. It is desperate stalling for time. But if it gets you to 0.04 or less, it is worth it.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #83 - May 22nd, 2019 at 3:21am

Years ago, I got familiar with the law enough to quote certain acts. Come one evening, I was walking along the right-hand side of the road. A police vehicle approached. I got off the road and started walking along the side of the road. I was stopped by the police. The passenger side officer started asking me questions for an identity check. I was assertive with the young officer -- about my age. The driver was a female. She seemed familiar with me. I don't remember what provoked the conflict. However, the officer threatened to cite me for jaywalking. I politely informed him that I was not impeding his vehicle when I was walking on the road and had immediately left the road for the sake of not being in their way LONG before they approached me. I even cited the law verbatim. The junior officer asked me, wide-eyed, "are you a lawyer?" [That amused me a bit, seeing that the motivation for learning the law was because a lawyer handed my arse to me in court. That was until it was overturned upon appeal].

That was years ago. A few years back, the same officer pulled me up for another identity check. This time he recognised me, and the conversation was more civil from him.

To answer your question, I think even the most blatant jaywalkers get done only if they are creating a hazard. And, even then, it is because the person is not lucid enough to realise that they are creating a problem.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #84 - May 22nd, 2019 at 3:33am

Gnads wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 6:35pm:
As a young bloke no one worried much about drinking and driving.... never had an accident when I was full of piss.  Tongue

The couple of small bingles I had I was completely sober and both times the other driver failed to give way.  Grin

I knew of a guy who would write computer programs for minor jobs at the university. Mainly answering the calls of students and helping them get on to the right direction for their assignments. One night, he got near blind wasted on booze to a point that he started writing up computer code in an A4 notebook. The next day, hungover and not in the mood for much else, he discovered that he had written dozens of pages of computer code that he had no recollection of doing. A few days after, he put it through Visual C++ to see where he was going with the code. It took a few pages before he remembered what he was doing. Some sort of basic asteroid game.

And I think I have heard stories about how music artists have written their best work whilst high. Yet, I would not trust them or even anyone that claims to have drunk driven to have been better drivers intoxicated than sober.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #85 - May 22nd, 2019 at 7:54pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 3:33am:
Gnads wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 6:35pm:

I knew of a guy who would write computer programs for minor jobs at the university. Mainly answering the calls of students and helping them get on to the right direction for their assignments. One night, he got near blind wasted on booze to a point that he started writing up computer code in an A4 notebook. The next day, hungover and not in the mood for much else, he discovered that he had written dozens of pages of computer code that he had no recollection of doing. A few days after, he put it through Visual C++ to see where he was going with the code. It took a few pages before he remembered what he was doing. Some sort of basic asteroid game.

And I think I have heard stories about how music artists have written their best work whilst high. Yet, I would not trust them or even anyone that claims to have drunk driven to have been better drivers intoxicated than sober.

No where in my post did I suggest that I thought I was a better driver when I was pissed.

Just said I never had an accident whilst I was drunk.

There are plenty of people who reckon they're better drivers than anyone... whether they're drunk or sober... twats.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #86 - May 22nd, 2019 at 8:46pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 3:06am:
Bobby. wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 5:15am:
That 2 x  285ml glasses.

It seems unfair to me.

I think you are making my point for me. But, you are not seeing this realistically. Someone who has just finished two glasses of beer is not simply going to think "Oops, better run on the spot for 5 minutes in case I get pulled over for an RBT". They are going to say their goodbyes to their friends at the bar. Then they might take a whiz in the toilet. It might be 5 minutes before they get in the car and start the car for the drive. A police officer can accept that you have only just finished a beer at a tavern, and still have mouth alcohol on them. That greatly elevates the breath test results. That is why you are allowed up to 15 minutes to let your mouth dissipate the alcohol. All you have to do is tell the officer that you just finished a beer at the pub.

But... if the guy you were talking about had finished a beer 30 minutes prior, he might have been over the limit by a fair amount before he got in his car. Two beers can put you at 0.06. It might have lowered down to 0.05 by the time he was pulled over. Even then, if he was not sure, he should have opted to lie that he had only finished a beer. It is desperate stalling for time. But if it gets you to 0.04 or less, it is worth it.

Yes - when he was told he was 0.05 exactly -
he should have said that he had just finished a drink & then
done as much exercise as possible
in the next 15 minutes before he was tested again.
Then he could have burnt up only
a tiny amount of alcohol
but enough to save his license and a heavy fine!

A good lesson for others.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print