Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Koalas Become 'Functionally Extinct' in Australia (Read 1339 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Koalas Become 'Functionally Extinct' in Australia
May 19th, 2019 at 1:36pm

Koalas Become 'Functionally Extinct' in Australia With Just 80,000 Left

Koala species down under are now considered "functionally extinct" as the Australian Koala Foundation (AKF) says there are no more than 80,000 individuals left on the continent. Once a population falls below a critical point, it can no longer produce the next generation, ultimately leading to the species' extinction.

"The AKF thinks there are no more than 80,000 Koalas in Australia. This is approximately 1% of the 8 million Koalas that were shot for fur and sent to London between 1890 and 1927," said AKF chairman Deborah Tabart, adding that the population could be as low as 43,000.

The organization has been monitoring koala populations in 128 of Australia's electorates for nearly a decade. Since then, 41 have seen the marsupials go extinct. However, the AKF estimate is much lower than other population predictions, albeit outdated ones. For example, the International Union of Conservation of Nature Red List of Endangered Species lists koalas as "vulnerable" with decreasing numbers, estimating in 2014 that there are between 100,000 and 500,000 mature individuals left in the wild.

So what does functionally extinct mean? The Conversation reports it means that koala populations have declined so far that the species no longer plays a significant role in its ecosystem.

Native only to the eastern side of the continent, an adult koala can eat as much as 1 kilogram of Eucalyptus leaves each night, according to AKF. Eucalyptus is normally poisonous to most species, but koalas have evolved a special bacteria that allow them to break down toxic compounds. Because they only absorb around 25 percent of fiber eaten, important nutrients and other organic material to the forest floor. Functional extinction also means that koalas are can no longer successfully reproduce in the wild to replace the population. Even if they are still breeding, pairs may be inbreeding which can further threaten future viability.

Perhaps more at-heart is the emblematic role koalas have on Australian culture.

"The koala is one of Australia's most recognizable symbols, but its survival hangs in the balance," said the San Diego Zoo. "Formerly thought to be common and widespread, koalas are now vulnerable to extinction across much of its northern range."

In the past, koalas were killed for their coats — between 1919 and 1924 eight million koalas were killed. Today, koalas are threatened by domestic dogs and disease, along with increasing encroachment due to human development, logging and wood harvesting, and droughts and extreme weather associated with climate change.

Though koalas are currently protected by law, almost 80 percent of remaining habitat occurs on privately owned land with very little protection offered under the legislation. This is why the AKF is calling for the need for a Koala Protection Act (KPA).

"I know the Australian public are concerned for the safety of Koalas and are tired of seeing dead Koalas on our roads. It is time for the Government to respect the Koala and protect its habitat," said Tabart.

According to the AKF, the Australian government was required to establish a National Recovery Plan in 2012 but has neglected to do so in the last six years. Framework for KPA is based on the Bald Eagle Act in the U.S., which incorporates both Federal Endangered Species Act and environmental protection policies in place. In part, AKF notes that the American act has been so successful because of political motive to ensure the nation's icon did not go extinct.

https://www.ecowatch.com/koalas-functionally-extinct-australia-2637183484.html?r...

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Koalas Become 'Functionally Extinct' in Australia
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2019 at 3:07pm

What is their function?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2019 at 5:32pm

While Abbott was in power. The LNP brought in the FUNCTIONALITY RARE SPECIES plan.

Which basically means there will be NO FUNDING for any species, no matter how 'rare' or threatened with extinction - that serve no functional or constructive 'purpose' to the future of this country.

So unless the Koala become a highly prized food delicasy in China at the 'Eat Live Restaurant' to rake in the $$$ - it's basically 'cooked' as a species, so to speak.

A species has to be considered 'useful' to get funding for protection.

As far as I know - the LNP still stick to this approach and it goes for 'environmental' regions via the National's 'Rural' over wild 'country' protection.

I've never eaten Koala. Would they make me sleepy after a good serving?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2019 at 6:53pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 3:07pm:
What is their function?

Sitting in eucalypt trees getting high?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2019 at 6:54pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 3:07pm:
What is their function?

what is yours? at least they look cute and japs like to take photos with them. That's two more functions than you.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - May 19th, 2019 at 7:05pm

Problem solved then. There are more Japs taking photos of koalas than ever before.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2019 at 7:07pm

What a pity we don't have a party dedicated to preserving our environment.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2019 at 7:08pm

Gordon wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 7:07pm:
What a pity we don't have a party dedicated to preserving our environment.

Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2019 at 7:09pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 7:05pm:
Problem solved then. There are more Japs taking photos of koalas than ever before.

Remember the good old days when the Japs were allowed to cuddle them and got clawed to shreds!  Grin

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 19th, 2019 at 7:22pm

The Libs and Labs had no problem killing off the Tasmanian Tiger, why would they have a problem killing off the Koala?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 19th, 2019 at 9:27pm

mothra wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 1:36pm:

Koala species down under are now considered "functionally extinct" as the Australian Koala Foundation (AKF) says there are no more than 80,000 individuals left on the continent. Once a population falls below a critical point, it can no longer produce the next generation, ultimately leading to the species' extinction.

"The AKF thinks there are no more than 80,000 Koalas in Australia. This is approximately 1% of the 8 million Koalas that were shot for fur and sent to London between 1890 and 1927," said AKF chairman Deborah Tabart, adding that the population could be as low as 43,000.

The organization has been monitoring koala populations in 128 of Australia's electorates for nearly a decade. Since then, 41 have seen the marsupials go extinct. However, the AKF estimate is much lower than other population predictions, albeit outdated ones. For example, the International Union of Conservation of Nature Red List of Endangered Species lists koalas as "vulnerable" with decreasing numbers, estimating in 2014 that there are between 100,000 and 500,000 mature individuals left in the wild.

So what does functionally extinct mean? The Conversation reports it means that koala populations have declined so far that the species no longer plays a significant role in its ecosystem.

Native only to the eastern side of the continent, an adult koala can eat as much as 1 kilogram of Eucalyptus leaves each night, according to AKF. Eucalyptus is normally poisonous to most species, but koalas have evolved a special bacteria that allow them to break down toxic compounds. Because they only absorb around 25 percent of fiber eaten, important nutrients and other organic material to the forest floor. Functional extinction also means that koalas are can no longer successfully reproduce in the wild to replace the population. Even if they are still breeding, pairs may be inbreeding which can further threaten future viability.

"The koala is one of Australia's most recognizable symbols, but its survival hangs in the balance," said the San Diego Zoo. "Formerly thought to be common and widespread, koalas are now vulnerable to extinction across much of its northern range."

In the past, koalas were killed for their coats — between 1919 and 1924 eight million koalas were killed. Today, koalas are threatened by domestic dogs and disease, along with increasing encroachment due to human development, logging and wood harvesting, and droughts and extreme weather associated with climate change.

Though koalas are currently protected by law, almost 80 percent of remaining habitat occurs on privately owned land with very little protection offered under the legislation. This is why the AKF is calling for the need for a Koala Protection Act (KPA).

"I know the Australian public are concerned for the safety of Koalas and are tired of seeing dead Koalas on our roads. It is time for the Government to respect the Koala and protect its habitat," said Tabart.

According to the AKF, the Australian government was required to establish a National Recovery Plan in 2012 but has neglected to do so in the last six years. Framework for KPA is based on the Bald Eagle Act in the U.S., which incorporates both Federal Endangered Species Act and environmental protection policies in place. In part, AKF notes that the American act has been so successful because of political motive to ensure the nation's icon did not go extinct.

https://www.ecowatch.com/koalas-functionally-extinct-australia-2637183484.html?r...

https://www.ecowatch.com/about-ecowatch-1886104674.html
Grin Grin

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - May 19th, 2019 at 10:36pm

Bias_2012 wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 7:22pm:
The Libs and Labs had no problem killing off the Tasmanian Tiger, why would they have a problem killing off the Koala?

Bye bye Bilby.
Chocolate won't save you.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #12 - May 20th, 2019 at 2:03am

I read an article about how they wanted to destroy a bunch of koalas that had been overpopulating a certain region. Yet, we hear articles like this about declining koala numbers nationwide. Why not just relocate thousands of koalas to places that are suitable for them to procreate? Two problems resolved in one go.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 20th, 2019 at 2:32am

Frank wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 9:27pm:
mothra wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 1:36pm:

https://www.ecowatch.com/about-ecowatch-1886104674.html
Grin Grin

The old boy's happy for once.

He never has liked koalas.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #14 - May 20th, 2019 at 5:27am

We used to have a sizable population of kolas on the central coast.

But through years of greenies preventing backfiring, the fuel got to such a high level, that when the inevitably fire broke out, it killed every single one of them.

In the past, they could escape small fires and then repopulate,  as they have done for thousands of years.
But the immense build up of national park and greenie opposition to safe fuel reduction meant that a perfect storm was approaching.
Allowing fire trails to grow over, putting up fences and gates, meant that firefighters could not get to the fires as they burned out of control.

Yes, thanks to greenies and the national ( lock EM out) parks.
We no longer have kolas .

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:52am

Valkie wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 5:27am:
We used to have a sizable population of kolas on the central coast.

But through years of greenies preventing backfiring, the fuel got to such a high level, that when the inevitably fire broke out, it killed every single one of them.

In the past, they could escape small fires and then repopulate,  as they have done for thousands of years.
But the immense build up of national park and greenie opposition to safe fuel reduction meant that a perfect storm was approaching.
Allowing fire trails to grow over, putting up fences and gates, meant that firefighters could not get to the fires as they burned out of control.

Yes, thanks to greenies and the national ( lock EM out) parks.
We no longer have kolas .

It's development and the increased population / traffic associated with it up here in SEQ.

We rode dirtbikes around SEQ back in the 80s. Our tracks were thin and covered vast areas. I got stopped by cops one day and they fined me. That was the last time I ever stopped for anyone. He told us that we were doing huge damage to the koalas habitat. I tried reasoning explaining that our footprint is so small that we couldn't possibly be killing them. Anyway, that mentality went right through our local council and eventually dirtbikes were outlawed,  however you could still ride a mountain bike on the same tracks.....brain dead greenies.

Then along comes the developer.
Over then next 20yrs, and it is still happening,  the council along with several developers absolutely destroyed the bushland. Our little single tracks were now tarmac roads, some 4 lanes wide. Koalas just dwindled. 5000 critters in 96 to just 1000 or so in 2008 and very hard to find a figure now.
Little greeny groups started up blaming all sorts of things from us dirtbikes, to cats, dogs etc, while most of them lived in the new estates (they weren't in town before that, we all knew each other pretty well) driving their range rovers living in their 200sq house, 2 cats etc etc.

Dirtbikes stopped, little outcrops of bushland were fenced off ( until the developer wanted the land of course) speed limits dropped drastically to the point you had to pay careful attention to the time of day because the speed limit changed, and you bet your left nut the cops were there to remind you of the change with a ticket. You couldn't fart in public without getting a fine yet the koalas still dwindled. These arseholes made so much money off the koala propaganda yet the numbers still decreased and nothing those useless dupes did could stop it.

Councilors are stupid people. They are impractical people with no real living experience. Okay, maybe 1 in 1000 has a brain but the rest are just stupid art class wannabees that most likley never went near a bushland when they grew up. They're just disconnected people. One of the main instigators of the lock down has a street smack bang in the middle of koala central named after her...... Grin

Owell. That's what happens when dumb people get some power. Irrational decisions without any common sense.

Goodbye koalas.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:37am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 2:03am:
I read an article about how they wanted to destroy a bunch of koalas that had been overpopulating a certain region. Yet, we hear articles like this about declining koala numbers nationwide. Why not just relocate thousands of koalas to places that are suitable for them to procreate? Two problems resolved in one go.

Kangaroo Island .... a big island... was used as a isolated disease free relocation place and was so successful it is now over populated.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #17 - May 20th, 2019 at 3:34pm

Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:37am:

Kangaroo Island .... a big island... was used as a isolated disease free relocation place and was so successful it is now over populated.

In that case, they can successfully relocate koalas to places that require repopulating of koalas.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:08pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 3:34pm:

In that case, they can successfully relocate koalas to places that require repopulating of koalas.

The Adelaide Hills are presently suffering an overpopulation of Koalas.  The state government is undertaking a trial to use contraceptives to control their population.  IIRC, they were talking about 150,000 Koalas or more in the area.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #19 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:16pm

I thought someone was saying that koala numbers got below 80,000 for the nation.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #20 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:16pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 4:08pm:

The Adelaide Hills are presently suffering an overpopulation of Koalas.  The state government is undertaking a trial to use contraceptives to control their population.  IIRC, they were talking about 150,000 Koalas or more in the area.

Ozpolitic Professor Gordon is leading a team teaching Koalas to use condoms.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:30pm

You can see how Politics in this country is somewhat 'unqualified' to be the ruling entity here. I guess it hangs in there via the British and USA.

Floods in one region - drain it via canal systems to a drought stricken region. Simple.
Over-populated region of Koala, move many to a under-populated area. Good for the gene pool too.

Aboriginals always rotated their burn zones and at periods where it lightly impacted on the soil. The animals had more than enough time and 'space' to make it to safety. Such was the 'professional' standard of Aboriginal fires that kept the entire region like a 'Parkland' and yes, they had many 'paths' through-out, some were 20m wide.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:07pm

The local Chinese restaurant would take care of the problem for free.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:41pm

Yeah.... only if there are trees left there. Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:57pm

150,000 in the Adelaide Hills, 27,000 on Kangaroo Island... 2 large populations fairly close together in one state and no doubt in other areas of SA....across Victoria, NSW and QLD.

So despite a decline in populations and habitat nationally ....

I'd say that the OP is functionally Bullshyte.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/publications/factsheet-koa...

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:03pm

Jasin wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 4:30pm:
You can see how Politics in this country is somewhat 'unqualified' to be the ruling entity here. I guess it hangs in there via the British and USA.

Floods in one region - drain it via canal systems to a drought stricken region. Simple.
Over-populated region of Koala, move many to a under-populated area. Good for the gene pool too.

Aboriginals always rotated their burn zones and at periods where it lightly impacted on the soil. The animals had more than enough time and 'space' to make it to safety. Such was the 'professional' standard of Aboriginal fires that kept the entire region like a 'Parkland' and yes, they had many 'paths' through-out, some were 20m wide.

So you're now suggesting "engineering science building highways" pre- 1770?  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #26 - May 20th, 2019 at 9:12pm

Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 7:41pm:

Yeah.... only if there are trees left there. Grin

Yeah - very good point.
Koala and wildlife habitats now comprise of just a few acres here and there, where they gotta run the gauntlet across roads and paddocks.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #27 - May 20th, 2019 at 9:14pm

Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:03pm:

So you're now suggesting "engineering science building highways" pre- 1770?  Grin Grin

They seem to have better stuff than the wannabe Colonials did at the time.
In fact, if it wasn't for the Whites 'stealing' from the Abos, the Whites and Explorers would have folded.
Whites bit the hands that fed them. What an arsehole culture we were born from here.  Roll Eyes Tongue

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:13pm

Jasin wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 9:14pm:
Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:03pm:

They seem to have better stuff than the wannabe Colonials did at the time.
In fact, if it wasn't for the Whites 'stealing' from the Abos, the Whites and Explorers would have folded.
Whites bit the hands that fed them. What an arsehole culture we were born from here.  Roll Eyes Tongue

Don't be a self loather.

what they stole was a bit of geographical assistance and botanical knowledge.

Not knowing the country and actually how vast it was couldn't it be expected by the first white explorers that the locals, after 40,000 years might know how to navigate without a GPS?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print