Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Koalas Become 'Functionally Extinct' in Australia (Read 1340 times)
Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Koalas Become 'Functionally Extinct' in Australia
Reply #15 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:52am

Valkie wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 5:27am:
We used to have a sizable population of kolas on the central coast.

But through years of greenies preventing backfiring, the fuel got to such a high level, that when the inevitably fire broke out, it killed every single one of them.

In the past, they could escape small fires and then repopulate,  as they have done for thousands of years.
But the immense build up of national park and greenie opposition to safe fuel reduction meant that a perfect storm was approaching.
Allowing fire trails to grow over, putting up fences and gates, meant that firefighters could not get to the fires as they burned out of control.

Yes, thanks to greenies and the national ( lock EM out) parks.
We no longer have kolas .

It's development and the increased population / traffic associated with it up here in SEQ.

We rode dirtbikes around SEQ back in the 80s. Our tracks were thin and covered vast areas. I got stopped by cops one day and they fined me. That was the last time I ever stopped for anyone. He told us that we were doing huge damage to the koalas habitat. I tried reasoning explaining that our footprint is so small that we couldn't possibly be killing them. Anyway, that mentality went right through our local council and eventually dirtbikes were outlawed,  however you could still ride a mountain bike on the same tracks.....brain dead greenies.

Then along comes the developer.
Over then next 20yrs, and it is still happening,  the council along with several developers absolutely destroyed the bushland. Our little single tracks were now tarmac roads, some 4 lanes wide. Koalas just dwindled. 5000 critters in 96 to just 1000 or so in 2008 and very hard to find a figure now.
Little greeny groups started up blaming all sorts of things from us dirtbikes, to cats, dogs etc, while most of them lived in the new estates (they weren't in town before that, we all knew each other pretty well) driving their range rovers living in their 200sq house, 2 cats etc etc.

Dirtbikes stopped, little outcrops of bushland were fenced off ( until the developer wanted the land of course) speed limits dropped drastically to the point you had to pay careful attention to the time of day because the speed limit changed, and you bet your left nut the cops were there to remind you of the change with a ticket. You couldn't fart in public without getting a fine yet the koalas still dwindled. These arseholes made so much money off the koala propaganda yet the numbers still decreased and nothing those useless dupes did could stop it.

Councilors are stupid people. They are impractical people with no real living experience. Okay, maybe 1 in 1000 has a brain but the rest are just stupid art class wannabees that most likley never went near a bushland when they grew up. They're just disconnected people. One of the main instigators of the lock down has a street smack bang in the middle of koala central named after her...... Grin

Owell. That's what happens when dumb people get some power. Irrational decisions without any common sense.

Goodbye koalas.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:37am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 2:03am:
I read an article about how they wanted to destroy a bunch of koalas that had been overpopulating a certain region. Yet, we hear articles like this about declining koala numbers nationwide. Why not just relocate thousands of koalas to places that are suitable for them to procreate? Two problems resolved in one go.

Kangaroo Island .... a big island... was used as a isolated disease free relocation place and was so successful it is now over populated.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #17 - May 20th, 2019 at 3:34pm

Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:37am:
I read an article about how they wanted to destroy a bunch of koalas that had been overpopulating a certain region. Yet, we hear articles like this about declining koala numbers nationwide. Why not just relocate thousands of koalas to places that are suitable for them to procreate? Two problems resolved in one go.

Kangaroo Island .... a big island... was used as a isolated disease free relocation place and was so successful it is now over populated.

In that case, they can successfully relocate koalas to places that require repopulating of koalas.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #18 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:08pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 3:34pm:

In that case, they can successfully relocate koalas to places that require repopulating of koalas.

The Adelaide Hills are presently suffering an overpopulation of Koalas.  The state government is undertaking a trial to use contraceptives to control their population.  IIRC, they were talking about 150,000 Koalas or more in the area.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #19 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:16pm

I thought someone was saying that koala numbers got below 80,000 for the nation.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #20 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:16pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 4:08pm:

The Adelaide Hills are presently suffering an overpopulation of Koalas.  The state government is undertaking a trial to use contraceptives to control their population.  IIRC, they were talking about 150,000 Koalas or more in the area.

Ozpolitic Professor Gordon is leading a team teaching Koalas to use condoms.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2019 at 4:30pm

You can see how Politics in this country is somewhat 'unqualified' to be the ruling entity here. I guess it hangs in there via the British and USA.

Floods in one region - drain it via canal systems to a drought stricken region. Simple.
Over-populated region of Koala, move many to a under-populated area. Good for the gene pool too.

Aboriginals always rotated their burn zones and at periods where it lightly impacted on the soil. The animals had more than enough time and 'space' to make it to safety. Such was the 'professional' standard of Aboriginal fires that kept the entire region like a 'Parkland' and yes, they had many 'paths' through-out, some were 20m wide.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:07pm

The local Chinese restaurant would take care of the problem for free.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:41pm

Yeah.... only if there are trees left there. Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:57pm

150,000 in the Adelaide Hills, 27,000 on Kangaroo Island... 2 large populations fairly close together in one state and no doubt in other areas of SA....across Victoria, NSW and QLD.

So despite a decline in populations and habitat nationally ....

I'd say that the OP is functionally Bullshyte.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/publications/factsheet-koa...

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:03pm

Jasin wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 4:30pm:
You can see how Politics in this country is somewhat 'unqualified' to be the ruling entity here. I guess it hangs in there via the British and USA.

Floods in one region - drain it via canal systems to a drought stricken region. Simple.
Over-populated region of Koala, move many to a under-populated area. Good for the gene pool too.

Aboriginals always rotated their burn zones and at periods where it lightly impacted on the soil. The animals had more than enough time and 'space' to make it to safety. Such was the 'professional' standard of Aboriginal fires that kept the entire region like a 'Parkland' and yes, they had many 'paths' through-out, some were 20m wide.

So you're now suggesting "engineering science building highways" pre- 1770?  Grin Grin

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #26 - May 20th, 2019 at 9:12pm

Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 7:41pm:

Yeah.... only if there are trees left there. Grin

Yeah - very good point.
Koala and wildlife habitats now comprise of just a few acres here and there, where they gotta run the gauntlet across roads and paddocks.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #27 - May 20th, 2019 at 9:14pm

Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:03pm:

So you're now suggesting "engineering science building highways" pre- 1770?  Grin Grin

They seem to have better stuff than the wannabe Colonials did at the time.
In fact, if it wasn't for the Whites 'stealing' from the Abos, the Whites and Explorers would have folded.
Whites bit the hands that fed them. What an arsehole culture we were born from here.  Roll Eyes Tongue

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:13pm

Jasin wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 9:14pm:
Gnads wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:03pm:

They seem to have better stuff than the wannabe Colonials did at the time.
In fact, if it wasn't for the Whites 'stealing' from the Abos, the Whites and Explorers would have folded.
Whites bit the hands that fed them. What an arsehole culture we were born from here.  Roll Eyes Tongue

Don't be a self loather.

what they stole was a bit of geographical assistance and botanical knowledge.

Not knowing the country and actually how vast it was couldn't it be expected by the first white explorers that the locals, after 40,000 years might know how to navigate without a GPS?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print