Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Voting reform in the House of Reps (Read 3483 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Voting reform in the House of Reps
Reply #30 - May 19th, 2019 at 10:21pm

Sounds dangerous - no party is guaranteed a comfortable majority so as to enforce its every ideological whim - that's why we have the system we have... including the senate - to keep check on the bastards in their fantasies...

You are demanding a de facto absolute mandate for the party in power.... seems you forget they are in power in Parliament - and nowhere else...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #31 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:16pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 9:39pm:
Auggie wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 7:50pm:
freediver wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 7:44pm:
You are turning a possible flaw in the current system into the basis of yours.

Incorrect, I am simply stating that if you're against my proposal then you're essentially against our entire system of government.

You cannot even be honest about what you are saying. You claim to be improving the system, but all you are doing is discarding the good bits and turning the flaws into the basis of a new, truly terrible system.

You can come up with excuses and justifications all day, but you cannot come up with a good reason. It's and entirely arbitrary change that could only make things worse. I cannot figure out why you want it or why you are carrying on the way you do in response to criticism. You don't know why you are improving the system. You don't know how your proposal makes the system any better. You don't know what better even is. You spent about 5 seconds coming up with a scheme and want us to explain everything to you.

It's a better system because it's creates stability.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #32 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:17pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 10:21pm:
Sounds dangerous - no party is guaranteed a comfortable majority so as to enforce its every ideological whim - that's why we have the system we have... including the senate - to keep check on the bastards in their fantasies...

You are demanding a de facto absolute mandate for the party in power.... seems you forget they are in power in Parliament - and nowhere else...

So, for most of our political history when one political party has controlled a majority of seats has been completely wrong?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:25pm

Auggie wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 7:16pm:

Incorrect, I am simply stating that if you're against my proposal then you're essentially against our entire system of government.

You cannot even be honest about what you are saying. You claim to be improving the system, but all you are doing is discarding the good bits and turning the flaws into the basis of a new, truly terrible system.

You can come up with excuses and justifications all day, but you cannot come up with a good reason. It's and entirely arbitrary change that could only make things worse. I cannot figure out why you want it or why you are carrying on the way you do in response to criticism. You don't know why you are improving the system. You don't know how your proposal makes the system any better. You don't know what better even is. You spent about 5 seconds coming up with a scheme and want us to explain everything to you.

It does the exact opposite. It will hand parliamentary majorities to alternating ends of the political spectrum who only have support of 40% of the public. It randomly discards the will of the people and hands out seats based on a whimsical, arbitrary criteria. It would also reintroduce an incentive for strategic voting.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #34 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:39pm

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 7:25pm:

It does the exact opposite. It will hand parliamentary majorities to alternating ends of the political spectrum who only have support of 40% of the public. It randomly discards the will of the people and hands out seats based on a whimsical, arbitrary criteria. It would also reintroduce an incentive for strategic voting.

40% of the electorate is hardly 'alternating ends of the political spectrum'. Both Labor and Liberal are capable of meeting the 40% criteria very easily. And if a third party were to ever gain the support of 40% of the electorate then they would gain a majority of the seats.

Edit: and it creates stability because that party will have a majority in the House of Reps. This will create certainly for the party in power and probably reduce revolving Prime Ministers.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #35 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:54pm

Auggie wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 7:39pm:

40% of the electorate is hardly 'alternating ends of the political spectrum'. Both Labor and Liberal are capable of meeting the 40% criteria very easily. And if a third party were to ever gain the support of 40% of the electorate then they would gain a majority of the seats.

Edit: and it creates stability because that party will have a majority in the House of Reps. This will create certainly for the party in power and probably reduce revolving Prime Ministers.

That is not stability Auggie. It is the opposite.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #36 - May 20th, 2019 at 7:59pm

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 7:54pm:
Auggie wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 7:39pm:

That is not stability Auggie. It is the opposite.

How is that not stability?

Are you implying that the Liberals who have 74 seats in the House of Reps who have to rely on at least 3 independents is more stable that the Liberals having 90 seats in the House of Reps?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:06pm

Auggie, you are confusing parliamentary stability with stable government. They are not the same thing. It would really help if you would actually explain what you are trying to achieve rather than expecting people to guess.

You are completely missing the point of parliamentary democracy. It is not to make the jobs of politicians simple and easy with clear job descriptions. It is to give the public the legislation they deserve based on a mandate of majority support.

Tell us which to the following two scenarios are more stable in real terms:

A) Minority government with several changes in PM and shifting coalitions to maintain a majority of seats in the lower house. No meaningful legislation actually gets passed.

B) Majority government by a party with only 40% support. They repeal all the legislation introduced by the previous undeserved majority government because it had no public mandate, then introduce their own alternative legislation that is also without public mandate. Everyone can see it coming and is certain it will happen. Next election the opposing party changes it all back again. People stop voting for minor parties to try to ensure their side of politics hits the 40% mark and the other side does not get a plurality in all states.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #38 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:08pm

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:06pm:
B) Majority government by a party with only 40% support. They repeal all the legislation introduced by the previous undeserved majority government because it had no public mandate, then introduce their own alternative legislation that is also without public mandate. Everyone can see it coming and is certain it will happen. Next election the opposing party changes it all back again. People stop voting for minor parties to try to ensure their side of politics hits the 40% mark and the other side does not get a plurality in all states.

This is more stable.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:09pm

You are completely missing the point of parliamentary democracy. It is not to make the jobs of politicians simple and easy with clear job descriptions. It is to give the public the legislation they deserve based on a mandate of majority support.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #40 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:12pm

freediver wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:09pm:

Wrong. The point of parliamentary democracy is that the government is the party or coalition that controls a majority in the lower House.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:36pm

Auggie wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:12pm:

Wrong. The point of parliamentary democracy is that the government is the party or coalition that controls a majority in the lower House.

disagree.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #42 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:49pm

John Smith wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:36pm:
Auggie wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:12pm:

disagree.

Those are the facts.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:03pm

Auggie, the voters and the democracy are not there to serve the politicians. You got it backwards. You have been so bamboozled by the intense media coverage of changing PM's and shifting coalitions between and within parties that you have mistaken the means to an end for the end itself. None of that really matters. The legislation we end up with does. Let the politicians live in disarray so that we have stable law, not the other way round.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #44 - May 20th, 2019 at 11:45pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 12:24pm:
Get rid of preferencing. It’s a farce that gives is morons who win seats regardless of the fact another candidate wins thousands more votes than them.

Totally agree... if your policies are not popular enough for you to gain a large enough vote - they should be reserved for negotiation later and 'lobbying' - not handed an automatic credence by being a 'preference' vote.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print