Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Voting reform in the House of Reps (Read 3496 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Voting reform in the House of Reps
May 19th, 2019 at 11:02am

The proposal goes like this:

We abolish electorates for good and instead members represent the entire State as one electorate (much like the Senate). At election time, the voters vote for the political party of their choice in closed-lists. For e.g.

1) ALP

2) Liberal

3) National

And so forth..

All voters need to do is mark which party they vote for.

When counting the votes, all votes are tallied on a nationwide scale. Whichever party receives and at least 40% of the nationwide vote AND receives a plurality of votes will automatically gain 90 seats (of 150) in the House of Reps, which seats will be allocated in each State
respectively.

This means that the majority party will gain 'additional seats' at the expense of other parties.

What is the benefit of this?

The biggest benefit is that it ensures that the majority party will always have a comfortable majority in the House of Reps and prevents hung parliaments or minority governments.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Voting reform in the House of Reps
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2019 at 11:13am

Hmm ... like the US system "lite"?

I think there is merit in some change taking place.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2019 at 11:24am

Captain Nemo wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 11:13am:
Hmm ... like the US system "lite"?

I think there is merit in some change taking place.

If you're referring to the electoral college, then yes in a similar sense.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2019 at 11:28am

Terrible idea.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2019 at 11:33am

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 11:28am:
Terrible idea.

ditto...

get rid of preference...

now we sit and wait for the senate members to crawl across the line..with 3rd or 4th choices.....

bahhh humbug!

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2019 at 11:46am

Terrible idea.

So, do you believe that minority governments and hung parliaments are conducive to stability and good governance?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2019 at 12:18pm

Auggie wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 11:46am:
Terrible idea.

So, do you believe that minority governments and hung parliaments are conducive to stability and good governance?

Yes. This is done deliberately to reduce corruption and drift towards dictatorship. You are mistaking stability of the parliament for stable governance. Giving a minority government carte blanch for major reform makes unstable governance inevitable, like in the US.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2019 at 12:24pm

Get rid of preferencing. It’s a farce that gives is morons who win seats regardless of the fact another candidate wins thousands more votes than them.

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2019 at 12:29pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 12:18pm:
Auggie wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 11:46am:
Terrible idea.

Yes. This is done deliberately to reduce corruption and drift towards dictatorship. You are mistaking stability of the parliament for stable governance. Giving a minority government carte blanch for major reform makes unstable governance inevitable, like in the US.

Can you give an example in Australia of where majority governments (when they have been achieved) have led to greater corruption and a drift toward dictatorship?

Can you also explain how a minority government in the House of Reps can have carte blanche for major reform when it has to content with an equally powerful upper House that is not controlled by that minority government?

Can you also explain how a minority government with 'carte blanche' for major reform can throw someone in jail for 'speaking their mind' when it has no power to do so?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2019 at 12:35pm

I cannot give you an example from Australia because the system works fairly well at preventing it from happening. If your argument is that the system might continue to function as you make it worse, I will give you that, but it is still a terrible idea. Also, there is no guarantee, as you suggest, that they would not be able to get legislation through the senate also.

Your proposal is also fundamentally undemocratic and an arbitrary allocation of power.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #10 - May 19th, 2019 at 12:54pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 12:35pm:
I cannot give you an example from Australia because the system works fairly well at preventing it from happening. If your argument is that the system might continue to function as you make it worse, I will give you that, but it is still a terrible idea. Also, there is no guarantee, as you suggest, that they would not be able to get legislation through the senate also.

Your proposal is also fundamentally undemocratic and an arbitrary allocation of power.

So, you think the system is fundamentally undemocratic and an arbitrary allocation of power but you can't give me an example of how it would be 'fundamentally democratic' and an arbitrary allocation of power?

Is this similar to the argument that you make when you say that 'all Muslims support terrorism' but can't give examples of 'all Muslims who support terrorism?'

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - May 19th, 2019 at 1:01pm

Auggie wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 12:54pm:

So, you think the system is fundamentally undemocratic and an arbitrary allocation of power but you can't give me an example of how it would be 'fundamentally democratic' and an arbitrary allocation of power?

Is this similar to the argument that you make when you say that 'all Muslims support terrorism' but can't give examples of 'all Muslims who support terrorism?'

Correct. I cannot give any examples from Australia's past of how stupid your idea is. It is unprecedented.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #12 - May 19th, 2019 at 1:26pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 1:01pm:

Correct. I cannot give any examples from Australia's past of how stupid your idea is. It is unprecedented.

Having one party control the House of Reps is not unprecedented. In fact, the opposite is only a recent phenomenon.

Edit: FD, if you're implying that majority government in a parliamentary system is undemocratic, then perhaps you would support have a proportional representation in the House of Reps?? Given that no party has achieved a %50+1 in the majority of elections (at least recently) this would essentially mean that we would have a coalition government, which would, according to you, be better for democracy.

If you accept the effectiveness of the parliamentary system of government, then the way that it's most effective if one party controls the House of Reps in order to implement its agenda.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2019 at 1:38pm by Auggie »  

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 19th, 2019 at 1:40pm

a stupid idea. The senate was designed that way for a reason.
People crying for changes to the senate just so they can ram their ideas through should probably not be in govt. in the first place.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - May 19th, 2019 at 3:05pm

Auggie wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 1:26pm:
freediver wrote on May 19th, 2019 at 1:01pm:

Having one party control the House of Reps is not unprecedented. In fact, the opposite is only a recent phenomenon.

Edit: FD, if you're implying that majority government in a parliamentary system is undemocratic, then perhaps you would support have a proportional representation in the House of Reps?? Given that no party has achieved a %50+1 in the majority of elections (at least recently) this would essentially mean that we would have a coalition government, which would, according to you, be better for democracy.

If you accept the effectiveness of the parliamentary system of government, then the way that it's most effective if one party controls the House of Reps in order to implement its agenda.

Even if 60% of the voting public oppose that agenda?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print