Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Children in the watchhouse (Read 5423 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Children in the watchhouse
May 17th, 2019 at 11:03pm

Boy who stole chocolate bars held in watchhouse for three weeks

The mother of a teenage boy who spent three weeks in a Queensland watchhouse for “stealing chocolate bars and deodorant” has begged the Premier to move juveniles from maximum security facilities.

But Annastacia Palaszczuk said she had nowhere to move them, so children as young as 10 would remain in the watchhouses.

According to the state's Public Guardian, there were children in watchhouses "who haven’t accessed any real outdoor air for two weeks or more, and who have little or no access to education".

The mother, whose name cannot be used for legal reasons, told Brisbane Times her 14-year-old son was withdrawn and despondent after spending almost a month locked inside a police watchhouse.

“He wouldn’t talk to me about what it was like in the watchhouse, he was too traumatised,” she told Brisbane Times.

“All he did was steal some chocolate bars and deodorant from the 7-Eleven and he was locked up like a hardened criminal.

“Of course it makes me angry. The government says they are coming in and supporting our children, that is bullshit.”

Ms Palaszczuk said she did not want to see children locked up in watchhouses and had promised to build a 32-bed youth detention centre at Wacol and create 16 more beds at the existing Brisbane Youth Detention Centre.

But on Wednesday, Ms Palaszczuk could not give a time frame, or even a target, for when children would be moved to safer accommodation.

“I would like to let them out if they were going to secure places, we do not have those secure places available,” she said.

“I don’t have the facilities.”

Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington said young offenders would be moved out of watchhouses within 72 hours and placed in “appropriate accommodation” under a proposal her party would put before the Parliament this week.

“Right now kids are being held for up to 40 days in watchhouses across the state,” she said.

“Juveniles must be held accountable for their crimes, but they belong in dedicated facilities instead of maximum-security police watchhouses designed for adults only.

“If Annastacia Palaszczuk has a decent bone in her body she would back our plans.”

Ms Frecklington said construction on demountable houses at the youth detention centre needed to begin immediately.

But Ms Palaszczuk said temporary accommodation did not meet youth justice design standards and would increase the risk of escape, injury and suicide.

“I will not under any circumstances put these young people in irresponsible temporary accommodation where a young person could commit suicide,” she said.

On Wednesday, there were 75 children in watchhouses across the state.

The catalyst for what lawyers say is a “human rights crisis” was Labor’s decision to move 17-year-olds out of adult prisons and into youth detention centres.

But they did not plan for the influx of 17-year-olds into the youth facilities, which has meant children as young as 10 are being housed in maximum security watchhouses.

Internal briefing by the Youth Justice Department in 2015 warned even without the shift of 17-year-olds from adult to juvenile facilities, "there was a forecast need for an additional 20 beds by 2020 and for 50 beds every seven years after that".

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/boy-who-stole-chocolate-bar...

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Children in the watchhouse
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2019 at 12:26am

Three weeks in the watch house for choccies and deodorant? 

Why is there a need to hold juveniles at all for that long?  Pale Ass Chick has obviously developed Power To My Head Syndrome and has forgotten service to the people - it's a disease of both 'left' and 'right'...

Past her use by date if you ask me.... move on, Queensland...  The Deep North still runs well under a 'Labor' government run by sheilas...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2019 at 5:47am

if youre a kid being raised by aqauscoot and mrs scoot, you are being raised by a strong assertive alpha and a nurturing joyful female and the odds of you running off the rails is very low.

but the modern mainstream culture has castrated most dads who are now spineless pussies and most women are anything but feminine and nurturing, they are frustrated and anxious .

a child raised by steve and janeen has very poor emotional input from parents.

janeen may have kicked steve out and be a single mum to a boy who has just witnessed the ultimate in shaming.

kids pick up this vibe. it soaks into their neurology.

they are looking for a place of comfort but it is nowhere to be found.

it is highly likely that they will be easily led astray.
they may turn to crime as a way of acting out, of expressing their anger and frustration because anger and frustration is what they feel in the family home.

remember, 80 % of most peoples emotions are negative, they are emotions of fear, frustration , anxiety, sadness .

if steve and janeen dont build an ecosystem of positive emotions they are screwing their kids over.

when i see steve and janeen at maccas ,looking all sad and fat and demotivated and i see steve junior and janeen junior on their phones, eating garbage food and looking for validation on social media or gaming in a durr state , i KNOW they are not being provided with the neccessary tools to ward off failure.

failure is the norm
garbage is the default.

thru all recored history, young greeks, young romans, young american indians, young africans, young asians, young aborigines were taken by the men of the tribe and taught to be brave , powerful, assertive and influential.

you try and teach a young boy that nowadays in the feminised , PC, toxic culture of bullshit masculinity and they will take you down.

the consequences are entirely predictable.
the blame lies squarley at the feet of people like mothra who saught to dissassemble noble masculinity.
and now they have the gall to complain about the situation  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2019 at 7:14am

Stop pandering to the bloody kids. Makes me sick.
Oh the children. Think of the children. Kids now have a "can't touch me attitude". Well that's fuct!

A coulpe of chocolate bars hey? I'd be interested to know just how many times the cops have dealt with this particular kid?  No mention in the article funnily enough. Is that because they're swinging the article to create pitty for the "child".  No, the media wouldn't do that would they?  My bet is that this kid is well known to police,  and if so....get over it.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:08am

Captain Caveman wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 7:14am:
Oh the children. Think of the children. Kids now have a "can't touch me attitude". Well that's fuct!

A coulpe of chocolate bars hey? I'd be interested to know just how many times the cops have dealt with this particular kid?  No mention in the article funnily enough. Is that because they're swinging the article to create pitty for the "child".  No, the media wouldn't do that would they?  My bet is that this kid is well known to police,  and if so....get over it.

You could well be correct

A month in the watchhouse might be just what he needed

If his crime escalates and he's caught for more serious crimes in the future, his mother will probably be one of those parents who denies all responsibility, insisting she did 'everything she could' to keep him on the straight and narrow

most people should be sterilised at birth

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:17am

jailing a 14 year old for three weeks, with little or no access to the outdoors for a chocolate bar and deodorant is ridiculous. At the very least he should be moved to minimum security a juvenile detention centre

Scomo and turnbull have in turn stolen billions from taxpayers and they get rewarded.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:29am

John Smith wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 9:17am:
jailing a 14 year old for three weeks, with little or no access to the outdoors for a chocolate bar and deodorant is ridiculous. At the very least he should be moved to minimum security a juvenile detention centre

Scomo and turnbull have in turn stolen billions from taxpayers and they get rewarded.

If you're even a faint shadow of a parent, you'd know it's not the value of the stolen goods which is the issue

it's the fact he stole them

Theft is a crime

today a choc bar, tomorrow your car

you'd whinge then

So kids have to be taught to override their thieving instincts which they inherited from their monkey ancestors

if the parent doesn't bother or cannot get that message through

we the public end up with more stolen property

At age 14, you're close to being locked up in adult prison for a lot longer than four weeks

the parents should have got the message through before age 14

teenagers and their parents think they're 'smart' for getting away with theft

and theft is rampant in our society

adults putting goods through the self serve checkouts -- avos for onions, chuck the expensive small stuff in a bag of bananas once that's gone through, etc.  Women and teens stealing expensive lingerie in the change rooms.  It's endless.  And social media is filled wiht their boasting about what they nicked yesterday

we all pay for every piece of stolen property, we the honest pay one way or the other

plus the breakdown in society is in large part because the I want it now brigade weren't disciplined by their excuses for parents

so great.  The 14 year old is discovering what society does to those who steal things which don't belong to them

A few hundred years ago, 14 year olds were grabbed by press-gangs and forced to serve on navy decks in high seas. Forced to climb the rigging.  Many fell and were smashed like eggs.   Be interesting to learn what they would think of cushy 'punishment' consisting of a few weeks in a watchhouse

'people' a few years older than that 14 year old are racking up debts they have no intention of repaying.  They take the obligatory trip to Bali and London, get the new car and flog it until it no longer smells new, stick unpaid for furniture in the flat they fall behind on rent, bedeck themselves with trinkets from Michael Hill jewellers

then declare  bankruptcy and leave the rented flat like a pigsty bedecked with unopened letters of demand

declare  bankruptcy, which is just another form of theft and so trendy

and again, the public pays for it

So keep the kid in the watchhouse and let's hope it puts him on the straight and narrow

because if not, he's likely to wake up in a gutter one morning with both his knees broken

like the guy who  tried to rip off a relation of mine

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:36am

he is a teenager  who knows what hes been up too..

but its Qld   dont expect labor to do anything about it....

they just sit back and watch..... run the place down to gutter level then wait for the libs to come back and mend it all.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   

what about giving these kids another road to follow.....

instead of chucking them in the tank where they can only learn worse habits..

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:40am

There is simply no way this is the child's first offense. It just doesn't happen EVER that a good kid from a good family attending school would get locked up for that.

The story is more likely the kid has derelict drunken/druggy parents who allow him to run feral and he's had more run ins with police than I've had hot breakfasts.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he and his gang regularly target the same 7-Eleven and pinch stuff all the time, so cut the sob story because it's not a poor little baby caught nicking a lolly.

Now as for being in an adult facility, I wholeheartedly agree. Chuck him in a kids jail where he belongs.

IBI

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:44am

PZ547 wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 9:29am:
John Smith wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 9:17am:

If you're even a faint shadow of a parent, you'd know it's not the value of the stolen goods which is the issue

it's the fact he stole them

Theft is a crime

today a choc bar, tomorrow your car

you'd whinge then

So kids have to be taught to override their thieving instincts which they inherited from their monkey ancestors

if the parent doesn't bother or cannot get that message through

we the public end up with more stolen property

At age 14, you're close to being locked up in adult prison for a lot longer than four weeks

the parents should have got the message through before age 14

teenagers and their parents think they're 'smart' for getting away with theft

and theft is rampant in our society

adults putting goods through the self serve checkouts -- avos for onions, chuck the expensive small stuff in a bag of bananas once that's gone through, etc.  Women and teens stealing expensive lingerie in the change rooms.  It's endless.  And social media is filled wiht their boasting about what they nicked yesterday

we all pay for every piece of stolen property, we the honest pay one way or the other

plus the breakdown in society is in large part because the I want it now brigade weren't disciplined by their excuses for parents

so great.  The 14 year old is discovering what society does to those who steal things which don't belong to them

A few hundred years ago, 14 year olds were grabbed by press-gangs and forced to serve on navy decks in high seas. Forced to climb the rigging.  Many fell and were smashed like eggs.   Be interesting to learn what they would think of cushy 'punishment' consisting of a few weeks in a watchhouse

'people' a few years older than that 14 year old are racking up debts they have no intention of repaying.  They take the obligatory trip to Bali and London, get the new car and flog it until it no longer smells new, stick unpaid for furniture in the flat they fall behind on rent, bedeck themselves with trinkets from Michael Hill jewellers

then declare  bankruptcy and leave the rented flat like a pigsty bedecked with unopened letters of demand

declare  bankruptcy, which is just another form of theft and so trendy

and again, the public pays for it

So keep the kid in the watchhouse and let's hope it puts him on the straight and narrow

because if not, he's likely to wake up in a gutter one morning with both his knees broken

like the guy who  tried to rip off a relation of mine

You certainly talk a lot of bullsh1t to say so little, you know that?

Three weeks locked up is to much. Kids that age make mistakes. Their judgement is fallible at the best of times. At that age they are driven by hormones and their peers.

I know you'd like to think he's a career criminal because you think that justifies your stupidity, but it doesn't. You have NOTHING to indicate that  he has done this sort of thing in the past, or will do in the future, other then your own stupid prejudices. And you certainly have no idea what sort of punishment his parents have fettered out in the past. You just make up your own story line to support your stupidity.

Not a good look for someone going on about the breakdown of society.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:48am

cods wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 9:36am:
he is a teenager  who knows what hes been up too..

but its Qld   dont expect labor to do anything about it....

they just sit back and watch..... run the place down to gutter level then wait for the libs to come back and mend it all.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   

what about giving these kids another road to follow.....

instead of chucking them in the tank where they can only learn worse habits..

What 'other road' ?

by age 14, he's been told what comprises honesty and what does not

he's not five

and doubt this is his first offence

If not pulled up hard in his tracks, his future looks doubtful.  It's easy to steal.  Easy to get things that other people either pay for or do without

he knew he was stealing

I see it every week -- private school kids stuffing their jackets with stolen goods, in gangs, knowing the fake security guards cannot touch them.  They walk straight through the check out behind their one mate who pays for a small packet of chewing gum

they go on to be thieving accountants, bank workers, political thieves, common and garden thieves, parcel thieves, mail thieves

it becomes an addiction

nay, a 'right'

and their idiotic parents slaving away to pay expensive private school fees when their kids are going nowhere and are thieving while the parents are driving their hire payment four wheels through traffic to the mortgaged to the hilt house/unit

and their kid is laughing in their stupid faces, stuffing itself with stolen calories prior to claiming it's not hungry when that nutritious fast food is put on the table before it

I'd prefer Sharia law to be implemented before I'll encourage the disintegration of society because we're all suddenly so liberal

Thou shalt not steal

knowing theft is wrong and knowing how to control our primate urges is what separates us from apes

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:51am

PZ547 wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 9:08am:

If his crime escalates and he's caught for more serious crimes in the future, his mother will probably be one of those parents who denies all responsibility, insisting she did 'everything she could' to keep him on the straight and narrow

Better to leave him in the watchhouse than let him out to go steal more goods imo.
Hopefully his little stint may have shocked him.....but I doubt it.

As for min security.....
The kid commits a crime,  so some suggest to put him in a room with free roam, a PlayStation,  more kids with similar interests etc etc. Yeah that will give him time to think of his actions won't it. Some kids are influenced by that and beg to be locked back up.
Throw away all privileges. A room with a toilet is all they need. No entertainment except their mind. Let them think long and hard about what they've done,  not take their mind off it with entertainment.

Go get a part time job you little turd and work for your chocolate bars and deodorant,  otherwise get used to the inside of a cell cause that's where you'll spend a lot of your time. If it were my kid I would have told the cops to keep him longer.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - May 18th, 2019 at 11:12am

PZ547 wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 9:08am:

An-a Mama she say:-  "E's a goot (insert ethnic title) boy!  Da police dey jus' pick on him alla time because he (insert ethnic title)"...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 18th, 2019 at 11:23am

Gordon wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 9:40am:
There is simply no way this is the child's first offense. It just doesn't happen EVER that a good kid from a good family attending school would get locked up for that.

The story is more likely the kid has derelict drunken/druggy parents who allow him to run feral and he's had more run ins with police than I've had hot breakfasts.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he and his gang regularly target the same 7-Eleven and pinch stuff all the time, so cut the sob story because it's not a poor little baby caught nicking a lolly.

Now as for being in an adult facility, I wholeheartedly agree. Chuck him in a kids jail where he belongs.

I'm not a gambling man but I'll happily go down the prejudice road  and say that this kid is a turd and well known.
Police are carrnts at times but this screams repeat offender and if I'm right...what are the dogooders doing to help the shop owner?  Farrrrk all,  just whinging that a crim is "(sobby tears and voice) beeuung miss treeeted". 😭

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #14 - May 18th, 2019 at 11:54am

Which bigot has the biggest load of bigotry?

The battle of the bigots on Ozpolitic led by Haji Gordon, Captain anus, and Grappler misogynist plus a host of right-wing cockroaches.

1. If the child had been from an upper-class family he would have been driven home in a police car and the cops would have been viciously berated by the parents.

2. If the child had been held at Liberal headquarters for three weeks he would have learned how to steal millions without blinking while claiming he deserved it.

The detention without trial did nothing to teach the child acceptable social behavior.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print