Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why save for Retirement? (Read 4711 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Why save for Retirement?
Reply #45 - May 18th, 2019 at 8:56pm

lee wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 9:10pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 9:04pm:
Some people need to retire at 50 especially builders
& bricklayers -
their bodies are often wrecked by then.

Yes.And that is why people have superannuation and can add to it.

They can retire at any time. They just don't qualify for a pension. And that has always been the case.

How much money would most have by 50?

They can't retire at any time unless they have enough in their super. And if they go early I'll bet they run out and end up on the pension anyway.

The govt caps what an employer and employees combined contributions to $25,000.

Thats farkall .... if you can afford it you should be able to put in as much as you like.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:06pm

AaronCRescue wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 8:30am:
Valkie wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 5:17am:
AaronCRescue wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 4:18pm:
What a lot of people aren't addressing is what they really want to DO in their retirement. Start considering that before worrying about how much money you think you will need!

Retirement isn't about living and spending like you do "now", there's lots of stuff you don't "need" when you are 65+, should you live that long.  Wink

If all you want to do is play the odd game of golf, take a Cruise every so often, buy a new car every few years until your eyesight fails and you can no longer drive, you really don't "need" $60,000 plus a year.

Will you dine out and entertain on a weekly basis, or just take walks along the local beach?

How many new clothes and shoes, etc do you think you will need? Not much, believe me.  Smiley

Will you really need to buy all that new furniture?

Retirement is, usually, a time to RELAX and enjoy the grandchildren, if you have any. Have friends over for a BBQ, take an annual holiday "somewhere", have FUN and hang about Forums such as this.  Grin

Well, it's like this.
I'm 60 at the moment.
The grubberment have dictated tgat I will not get retirement until I'm 67.
Screw them, I have decided next year will be the time.
Tgat means I'll have to live off my own money for 6 years before any sort of benefit comes my way.

I own everything, except a small loan on my new 4x4.
I can pay that off with cash I have stashed away.
My super, a great portion of it, is self contributory, so I can retire anytime I like

But now, instead of living frugally and making my super last.
I say screw them,
I'm going to go for a much more comfortable, but shorter early retirement.
Then, as you say, what more can I need as I get older.

So from next year on, I'll live quite well for around 15 to 18 years
Then I'll go on my rightly deserved pension for the remainder of my life.

I've had enough of these parasites.
I should get, every working man should get a pension.
Super should be icing on the cake.
I have worked, played ridiculous amounts of tax and then told I don't deserve a pension.
Screw them I say.

Have you checked the current eligibility to get the Age Pension? I can't post links but Google "Age Pension" and check the Department of Human Services site.  You might be surprised about how much money/assets you can have and still be eligible. If you take your Super in a Pension, the Age Pension reduces. You have to be "over 65" though.

Check it out before you do anything rash, like spending all your money so that you can get the Age Pension.  Grin

You can probably retire "tomorrow" and still get the Age Pension in a few years time. Your home isn't included in the assets.  Wink

Your home isn't included at the moment... but that can change with a stroke of the pen.

As for being 65 to get the pension..... there isn't anyone younger that myself that will qualify anymore. They will all have to go to 67.  I'm 63 and don't qualify until I'm 66 & 6 months. My sister is 3 years older than me, born 1953 and she was 65 & 6 months before she qualified.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #47 - May 23rd, 2019 at 11:32pm

Please explain this to a poor Foreigner. Are you saying that if you make it to retirement age and have no assets beyond a modest home your government will give you $37,000 a year? However if you do well during your working life you get nothing, is that the system?

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #48 - May 23rd, 2019 at 11:42pm

Mortdooley wrote on May 23rd, 2019 at 11:32pm:
Please explain this to a poor Foreigner. Are you saying that if you make it to retirement age and have no assets beyond a modest home your government will give you $37,000 a year? However if you do well during your working life you get nothing, is that the system?

Pretty much, except there is a sliding scale. You have the pension reduced by an amount per so many dollars that the person is above the asset limit set for the full pension. So it is possible to receive a part-pension up to a certain amount of assets held.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #49 - May 24th, 2019 at 5:45am

Captain Nemo wrote on May 23rd, 2019 at 11:42pm:

Pretty much, except there is a sliding scale. You have the pension reduced by an amount per so many dollars that the person is above the asset limit set for the full pension. So it is possible to receive a part-pension up to a certain amount of assets held.

Unless of course, you are a senior public servant, police, or returned soldier.
Then you get an early pension, and in some cases, not even assett tested.
Judges, politicians some senior public servants and politicians get very high, non assert tested pension.
Some over several hundred thousands of dollars a year.
One of our recently beaten short serving Prime minister's has retired on $300,000.00 a years non- assett tested.
So all his bribes and back handers will give him a comfortable life into DEATH.

Another, howard the coward, is the biggest spending ex-politician we have ever had.
In some cases spending more than several others put together.
I think he steals close to $1,000,000.00 a year.
He has an office, staff and expenses, all paid for by us.

Yep, Australia is really fair.
Millionaire politicians, judges and senior public serve us, all eligable for non-assett tested six figure pensions.

And old semi disabled working stiffs, who may have put away a few dollars, get f$#k all

Australia, the lucky country.......for parasites.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - May 24th, 2019 at 6:32am

You should be like my Italian friends.

Work as much as possible for cash.
use cash (carefully) to build a huge house, way too big for what you would ever need.
When you need some money , you sell huge house and buy another not quite so huge house and spend the $ difference.
Plus spend that cash you have buried in the garden,,, still get a full pension.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - May 24th, 2019 at 6:34am

valkie your story motivates me;
That story would make me determined to grind it out and achieve success to have a quality woman and a Porsche and to drive to the front of Mr Abbott or Mr Howard house and stunt on their faces.

When we confront injustice we either become a victim and we go down or we use it as the evolutionary blowtorch to motivate us to take action and to move up

Because most people tend to have negative thoughts most of the time most people will choose the victim root.

You have to train yourself to remain positive no matter what

We do this by thinking of the intense positive emotions we will feel as we drive past the failures and show them that we have succeeded

Both Abbott and Howard have very ugly wives sort of like Fat Janine

You never want a dollar you didn't earn and they are now taking money they did not earn this will be their undoing.

Meanwhile you move on to glory in your Porsche with your hot girlfriend

Life is sweet

This is The narrow road to success

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #52 - May 25th, 2019 at 1:04am

So, do you have a Death tax? It seems if relatives leave you too much money it could also affect your benefits.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #53 - May 25th, 2019 at 8:38am

Gnads wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 8:56pm:
& bricklayers -

They can retire at any time. They just don't qualify for a pension. And that has always been the case.

They can't retire at any time unless they have enough in their super. And if they go early I'll bet they run out and end up on the pension anyway.

Thats farkall .... if you can afford it you should be able to put in as much as you like.

Actually the limit is $100,000 that you can contribute, it was reduced in 2017 to this number.

It is only the pre tax amount that is limited to $25K per year.

This means that the government will subsidise up to $25K per year in contributions at 15% tax rate but you can put in an additional $100,000 per year from your after tax income or other source at a zero tax rate. (tax already paid).

after a certain point it stops being encouraging people to save for retirement and becomes helping wealthy people to avoid paying tax.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2019 at 9:02am by Dnarever »  

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #54 - May 25th, 2019 at 9:09am

Quote:

A few people I know are doing that deliberately - retiring early and living off their super until they reach pension age and then applying for the pension.

In fact, I'm planning to do exactly that myself at the end of this financial year. I'm 62 in August and I can't get the pension until I'm 67 - thank you, government.

I intend to finish work and live off my super for 5 years and then apply for the pension when I'm 67. I've thought about leaving it for another year or two but I'm concerned that the scumbag pollies will change the super rules (again) and I'll end up not being able to access my super until 65 or 66.

And besides, there is NO WAY my back and knees, etc. are going to last until I'm 67 if I keep working.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #55 - May 25th, 2019 at 9:30am

Carl D wrote on May 25th, 2019 at 9:09am:
Quote:

A few people I know are doing that deliberately - retiring early and living off their super until they reach pension age and then applying for the pension.

In fact, I'm planning to do exactly that myself at the end of this financial year. I'm 62 in August and I can't get the pension until I'm 67 - thank you, government.

I intend to finish work and live off my super for 5 years and then apply for the pension when I'm 67. I've thought about leaving it for another year or two but I'm concerned that the scumbag pollies will change the super rules (again) and I'll end up not being able to access my super until 65 or 66.

And besides, there is NO WAY my back and knees, etc. are going to last until I'm 67 if I keep working.

I have no plan to do what you are doing but I may be forced to for the same reason, I am struggling with my knees now, Some days it is excruciating to walk from the station to the office and routinely go to the next station and travel back to avoid the stairs over the bridge on the way home.

Talking about walking I now have to take the dog to the beach for his walk, the cold water is great for my knees.

IP Logged

scurt

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - May 25th, 2019 at 9:47am

Valkie wrote on May 24th, 2019 at 5:45am:
Captain Nemo wrote on May 23rd, 2019 at 11:42pm:

Unless of course, you are a senior public servant, police, or returned soldier.
Then you get an early pension, and in some cases, not even assett tested.
Judges, politicians some senior public servants and politicians get very high, non assert tested pension.
Some over several hundred thousands of dollars a year.
One of our recently beaten short serving Prime minister's has retired on $300,000.00 a years non- assett tested.
So all his bribes and back handers will give him a comfortable life into DEATH.

Another, howard the coward, is the biggest spending ex-politician we have ever had.
In some cases spending more than several others put together.
I think he steals close to $1,000,000.00 a year.
He has an office, staff and expenses, all paid for by us.

Yep, Australia is really fair.
Millionaire politicians, judges and senior public serve us, all eligable for non-assett tested six figure pensions.

And old semi disabled working stiffs, who may have put away a few dollars, get f$#k all

Australia, the lucky country.......for parasites.

Tanya Plebersick spent $277,000 from October to December 2018. is she a parasite too?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - May 25th, 2019 at 11:33am

Dnarever wrote on May 25th, 2019 at 8:38am:
Gnads wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 8:56pm:
& bricklayers -

Actually the limit is $100,000 that you can contribute, it was reduced in 2017 to this number.

It is only the pre tax amount that is limited to $25K per year.

This means that the government will subsidise up to $25K per year in contributions at 15% tax rate but you can put in an additional $100,000 per year from your after tax income or other source at a zero tax rate. (tax already paid).

after a certain point it stops being encouraging people to save for retirement and becomes helping wealthy people to avoid paying tax.

Despite that why should any voluntary contributions(so called pre-tax) I make attract any further tax?

What ever disposable income I have has already been taxed.

The whole tax everything twice, 3 times process seems to defeat the purpose of being independent of govt assistance in retirement.

And being constantly told that an aged pension will not be available in the future.

And now Morrison has been returned the private sector are demanding he get stuck into Industry Super Funds to get their hands on it.

The whole system is about lies, deceit, rule changing and theft of your money.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - May 25th, 2019 at 11:39am

Oh and don't get me started on the high paid pensions of politicians & the free ride they get for life. Angry

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #59 - May 25th, 2019 at 12:04pm

Gnads wrote on May 25th, 2019 at 11:39am:
Oh and don't get me started on the high paid pensions of politicians & the free ride they get for life. Angry

Politicians families need to eat too. Give till it hurts and then some more.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print