Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why save for Retirement? (Read 4712 times)
AaronCRescue

Re: Why save for Retirement?
Reply #30 - May 17th, 2019 at 8:30am

Valkie wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 5:17am:
AaronCRescue wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 4:18pm:
What a lot of people aren't addressing is what they really want to DO in their retirement. Start considering that before worrying about how much money you think you will need!

Retirement isn't about living and spending like you do "now", there's lots of stuff you don't "need" when you are 65+, should you live that long.  Wink

If all you want to do is play the odd game of golf, take a Cruise every so often, buy a new car every few years until your eyesight fails and you can no longer drive, you really don't "need" $60,000 plus a year.

Will you dine out and entertain on a weekly basis, or just take walks along the local beach?

How many new clothes and shoes, etc do you think you will need? Not much, believe me.  Smiley

Will you really need to buy all that new furniture?

Retirement is, usually, a time to RELAX and enjoy the grandchildren, if you have any. Have friends over for a BBQ, take an annual holiday "somewhere", have FUN and hang about Forums such as this.  Grin

Well, it's like this.
I'm 60 at the moment.
The grubberment have dictated tgat I will not get retirement until I'm 67.
Screw them, I have decided next year will be the time.
Tgat means I'll have to live off my own money for 6 years before any sort of benefit comes my way.

I own everything, except a small loan on my new 4x4.
I can pay that off with cash I have stashed away.
My super, a great portion of it, is self contributory, so I can retire anytime I like

But now, instead of living frugally and making my super last.
I say screw them,
I'm going to go for a much more comfortable, but shorter early retirement.
Then, as you say, what more can I need as I get older.

So from next year on, I'll live quite well for around 15 to 18 years
Then I'll go on my rightly deserved pension for the remainder of my life.

I've had enough of these parasites.
I should get, every working man should get a pension.
Super should be icing on the cake.
I have worked, played ridiculous amounts of tax and then told I don't deserve a pension.
Screw them I say.

Have you checked the current eligibility to get the Age Pension? I can't post links but Google "Age Pension" and check the Department of Human Services site.  You might be surprised about how much money/assets you can have and still be eligible. If you take your Super in a Pension, the Age Pension reduces. You have to be "over 65" though.

Check it out before you do anything rash, like spending all your money so that you can get the Age Pension.  Grin

You can probably retire "tomorrow" and still get the Age Pension in a few years time. Your home isn't included in the assets.  Wink

IP Logged

scurt

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - May 17th, 2019 at 8:46am

John Smith wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 7:42pm:
scurt wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 7:07pm:
When governments (i.e, Labor) see no benefit in having people in the country who are willing to save for their own retirement and not be a burden on society, then why would you?

i just love how all the Ostriches with their heads up their arse think $5B a year and growing fast (predicted to reach $50b by 2030 if left unchanged) think they're not a burden to society  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The real burden are people who get money for nothing from taxpayers, i.e, age pensioners, who get cash for having contributed nothing to society their whole lives (you perhaps?) That costs $50b now.

"There will be no safetey box inspections under a government I lead"

IP Logged

Zaddo

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - May 17th, 2019 at 4:17pm

Well, it's like this.
I'm 60 at the moment.
Tgat means I'll have to live off my own money for 6 years before any sort of benefit comes my way.

My super, a great portion of it, is self contributory, so I can retire anytime I like

I say screw them,

I have worked, played ridiculous amounts of tax and then told I don't deserve a pension.
Screw them I say.

It is reassuring to hear that others are equally pissed off about how the "grubberment" treats hard working tax payers. 

It blows my mind why they keep looking for ways to take a bigger slice of our hard earned money.  I have never got a cent from those bastards for unemployment, family benefits, or any other handout.

They should be giving incentives to become a self funded retiree. 

As you say, what we have saved should be the icing on the cake.  I don't mind if the cake they give us is a bit smaller than someone that hasn't been fortunate enough to save for their retirement. But to make the cutoff for any pension benefits so low, is a huge disincentive to try and be self funded in retirement.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - May 17th, 2019 at 4:21pm

Why can't the pollies extravagant pensions be cut? All of them.

They should have to live just as we do.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - May 17th, 2019 at 4:22pm

scurt wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 8:46am:
John Smith wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 7:42pm:
scurt wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 7:07pm:
When governments (i.e, Labor) see no benefit in having people in the country who are willing to save for their own retirement and not be a burden on society, then why would you?

i just love how all the Ostriches with their heads up their arse think $5B a year and growing fast (predicted to reach $50b by 2030 if left unchanged) think they're not a burden to society  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The real burden are people who get money for nothing from taxpayers, i.e, age pensioners, who get cash for having contributed nothing to society their whole lives (you perhaps?) That costs $50b now.

"There will be no safetey box inspections under a government I lead"

only a true idiot would think a pensioner contributed nothing to society.

Roll Eyes

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - May 17th, 2019 at 4:40pm

Zaddo wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 4:17pm:
Well, it's like this.
I'm 60 at the moment.

I say screw them,

Screw them I say.

It is reassuring to hear that others are equally pissed off about how the "grubberment" treats hard working tax payers. 

It blows my mind why they keep looking for ways to take a bigger slice of our hard earned money.  I have never got a cent from those bastards for unemployment, family benefits, or any other handout.

As you say, what we have saved should be the icing on the cake.  I don't mind if the cake they give us is a bit smaller than someone that hasn't been fortunate enough to save for their retirement. But to make the cutoff for any pension benefits so low, is a huge disincentive to try and be self funded in retirement.

You're so reasonable.  It's refreshing

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - May 17th, 2019 at 5:01pm

they do/did!

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - May 17th, 2019 at 5:09pm

Well, it's like this.
I'm 60 at the moment.

I say screw them,

Screw them I say.

They look at different ways in part ( as well as many other reasons) because of the huge public servant payouts and supers being paid to public servants.
They have set up a system that lines their pockets with our money and nothing is being done about it.

Just look at when "cost cutting" happens inside the public sector.
Public servants laid off with massive redundancies at a cost to who? US tax payers.
Then they decide to put a pay rise to the vote.....all in favor....100%, of course. Who wouldn't vote for a pay rise from a purse that is very deep and an organisation that, well, isn't going under any time soon?

And we pay for it every time. The pigs need to be put down and a the farm liquidated. The trough is to large now and the workers are being stomped into the ground at the gate.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - May 17th, 2019 at 5:16pm

Captain Caveman wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 5:09pm:
Well, it's like this.
I'm 60 at the moment.

I say screw them,

Screw them I say.

They look at different ways in part ( as well as many other reasons) because of the huge public servant payouts and supers being paid to public servants.
They have set up a system that lines their pockets with our money and nothing is being done about it.

Just look at when "cost cutting" happens inside the public sector.
Public servants laid off with massive redundancies at a cost to who? US tax payers.
Then they decide to put a pay rise to the vote.....all in favor....100%, of course. Who wouldn't vote for a pay rise from a purse that is very deep and an organisation that, well, isn't going under any time soon?

And we pay for it every time. The pigs need to be put down and a the farm liquidated. The trough is to large now and the workers are being stomped into the ground at the gate.

This one springs to mind.
How utterly absurd.

https://tenplay.com.au/news/national/july/the-young-pollie-getting-a-whopping-pa...

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - May 17th, 2019 at 5:40pm

Because how do you even know that the pension will still be the same in a few years time?  You dont.  The biggest issue here, is that we have an ageing population.   The ratio of tax payer to pension had been on the decrease, and it will continue to do so.   Therefore, either we have to increase the tax, or decrease the service.  We cant have both ways.  This is math, pure and simple. 

I am told by my parents to save as if I am not going to have any form of pension.  But rather pension when I get to it, would be just food stamps, and energy vouchers, to keep one basically alive.  The more you save, the less you have to live on those conditions in your twilight years.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #40 - May 17th, 2019 at 6:37pm

AaronCRescue wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 8:30am:
AaronCRescue wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 4:18pm:
What a lot of people aren't addressing is what they really want to DO in their retirement. Start considering that before worrying about how much money you think you will need!

Retirement isn't about living and spending like you do "now", there's lots of stuff you don't "need" when you are 65+, should you live that long.  Wink

If all you want to do is play the odd game of golf, take a Cruise every so often, buy a new car every few years until your eyesight fails and you can no longer drive, you really don't "need" $60,000 plus a year.

Will you dine out and entertain on a weekly basis, or just take walks along the local beach?

How many new clothes and shoes, etc do you think you will need? Not much, believe me.  Smiley

Will you really need to buy all that new furniture?

Retirement is, usually, a time to RELAX and enjoy the grandchildren, if you have any. Have friends over for a BBQ, take an annual holiday "somewhere", have FUN and hang about Forums such as this.  Grin

Well, it's like this.
I'm 60 at the moment.

I say screw them,

Screw them I say.

Have you checked the current eligibility to get the Age Pension? I can't post links but Google "Age Pension" and check the Department of Human Services site.  You might be surprised about how much money/assets you can have and still be eligible. If you take your Super in a Pension, the Age Pension reduces. You have to be "over 65" though.

Check it out before you do anything rash, like spending all your money so that you can get the Age Pension.  Grin

You can probably retire "tomorrow" and still get the Age Pension in a few years time. Your home isn't included in the assets.  Wink

The fact is that I was going to work and continue contributing to my super and retire not being a burden on the Australian people.

But I have been screwed once too often.
I will finish my contract next year, not sign a new one and simply retire on a comfortable income running down my savings until I'm eligible for my pension.

It will be a great few years, lots of spending, a trip or two overseas and a couple of laps of Australia.
Then I'll just settle down and write complaining letters to who ever is in parliament.
Begging for more cash, benefits, extras etc.
I will go to council meetings and be the right royal pain in the arse to each counsellor.
I'll have fun bugger#$%g up public servants days and enjoy every day as it comes.

We have politicians who have given themselves obscene benefits and pensions
We have senior kleptocrat public servants doing everything in their power to get more, do less and screw people.

I'm too old to fight any more.
I'm just going to become what I've always hated, a parasite.
I will enjoy my money to excess, and then live off the Australian taxpayer.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #41 - May 17th, 2019 at 6:41pm

Valkie wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 6:37pm:
The fact is that I was going to work and continue contributing to my super and retire not being a burden on the Australian people.

I will finish my contract next year, not sign a new one and simply retire on a comfortable income running down my savings until I'm eligible for my pension.

It will be a great few years, lots of spending, a trip or two overseas and a couple of laps of Australia.
Then I'll just settle down and write complaining letters to who ever is in parliament.
I will go to council meetings and be the right royal pain in the arse to each counsellor.
I'll have fun bugger#$%g up public servants days and enjoy every day as it comes.

We have senior kleptocrat public servants doing everything in their power to get more, do less and screw people.

You better make sure you bury some money somewhere.
It's not nice to be lining up at Centerlink begging for a few pennies.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #42 - May 17th, 2019 at 6:57pm

Bobby. wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 6:41pm:
Valkie wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 6:37pm:

You better make sure you bury some money somewhere.
It's not nice to be lining up at Centerlink begging for a few pennies.

What?
Are you advocating lying and keeping money away from centafink assessors?
How can the refuse people if they
lie...like the grubberment
Cheat.....like the grubberment
Fiddle and adjust......like the grubberment

A guy I used to know developed severe arthritis
He could not work at his trade, but centafink said he had too much in his super and bank to be eligable for the disabled pension.

He knew, as he got older, that he would need cash for operations and medication, so he set out to divest himself of his finances.

Lo and behold, he suddenly developed a gambling addiction and a proclivity for prostitutes.

Suddenly, thousands was being withdrawn from his account to be spent on his addictions.

When he had divested sufficient, he signed up for help with his addictions and promptly fronted up to centafink to get his disability pension.
The demanded to know where his money was.
He showed them his sign up for addiction treatment stating that he was so depressed he just couldn't help himself.
He also stated that stress could easily push him over the edge again and if it was because he was harassed by centafink, he would sue them.

He got his DP
That was several years ago.
His arthritis has gotten much worse, his DP does not meet his medication or treatment needs, but a helpful anonymous stranger keeps giving him the money he needs when he needs it, isn't that great?

Our grubberment needs a serious wake up call.
Preferably with the aid of GUILLOTINE and stakes.

But, it is possible to play the system.
Politicians, multinationals, rich and criminals do it all the time.
It's only the honest that suffer.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #43 - May 17th, 2019 at 7:04pm

Valkie wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 6:57pm:
But, it is possible to play the system.
Politicians, multinationals, rich and criminals do it all the time.
It's only the honest that suffer.

Well go ahead - play the system.   Smiley

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - May 17th, 2019 at 7:06pm

Re Valkie

Well, at least take comfort in that you still can have a pension, medicare, and government funded aged care placements just in case.   Younger people of today, will continue to work hard, contribute, and probably not able to enjoy them when they retire.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print