Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kate Regrets Renting (Read 2487 times)
aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Kate Regrets Renting
Reply #30 - May 16th, 2019 at 7:50am

kates problem and indeed the national problem is that the most common dwelling now has 1 person in it !!!.

thats just weird!!!

there are SO MANY ADVANTAGES to having more poeple in a house.
granny can look after the kids, the kids can look after granny!!
if you moved grandparents in with kids you would free up a million dwellings i would imagine!!.

suddenly less urban sprawl.

make a bit of that land available as community gardens.

granny and grandpa and the grandkids can go grow some veges on the community garden and munch on a carrot and feel superior to the chodes.
good physical therapy for granny.
the kids are off the social media and start feeling strong and powerful
mum gets home from work and granny and the kids have cooked a nutritous stew instead of some BS pizza from dominoes.
the kids get to learn about dying as granny dies.
granny gets to stay in a house and not shell out 400.000 for some BS nursing home staffed by chodes.

if we just recognised and worked on the primacy of the family unit, all these problems go away.

but the marxists hate the family.

marxists like shorten want kids in day care and away from the family 2 days after they leave the maternity ward  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - May 16th, 2019 at 8:37am

Month ago, the media ran an article entitled, 'Why People Should Leave Home Before They're 20'.  So there's a clue

Then we have the size of houses today.  Kids want a room of their own if not from a very early age then certainly once they're edging age 9 or 10.  Most room in newly built houses is the family-room in addition to the living-room and any spare becomes the media-room.  Two standard bathrooms and a powder room and big garages out the front

The only place to put the grandparents is in a granny-flat out the back.  But not on a standard block because --- the swimming pool and the cabana

in short, houses today are not geared to multiple occupancy, at least not in the case of white Australians.  Migrants are more prepared to stick four to a room and an entire family in the garage to save money, help with chores and bills, etc

With multi-generations, whose parents would be incorporated in Jan and Bill's family?  The wife's parents or the husband's?  Answer: would probably depend on which parent/s had the most assets and cash

Veggies?  Most of Oz is plagued by nemetodes and by the time you're done, it's cheaper and easier to buy from supermarkets

Multi-generational living isn't for everyone and people aren't raised to consider it.  The push is for people to 'gain independence' and sink their lives into mortgage and vehicle purchases with travel, travel, being pushed from every quarter.  Hedonism, materialism, live for today ...

A man and woman invariably have squabbles and fights and the addition in the home of older people can exacerbate rather than calm

or, the grandparents might attempt to instill in the children values which are opposed to those of the parents, causing resentment and more arguments and 'they go or I go' threats between the children's parents

Lack of space and privacy are noted causes of stress and arguments

then, what older person, given the choice, would choose living in their kids modified garage over a peaceful, private home unit by the beach, unless finances dictated the former?

and finally, too many generous, well-intentioned older folk have helped finance their adult child's home purchase, only to be treated like the unwelcome intruder, once their money has run dry

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #32 - May 16th, 2019 at 10:30am

Gordon wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 9:50pm:
Jasin wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 9:30pm:
People pay up to $1000 a night for a 'retreat' like I'm currently  enjoying for... free.

Do you have an arrangement with the owner?

Yep - I just look after his doggy. Feed, put the fireplace on for her. The person who arranged me to sit his friend's house says that I should ask for $30 a night or something. But nah - the best things in life are 'free'  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - May 16th, 2019 at 10:34am

John Smith wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 5:40pm:
Mary Black wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 5:02pm:
mothra wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 4:49pm:
Even if you could find a property for $100k that will appreciate, there is no lending institution that will do business with someone on the DSP. Or any other benefit, for that matter.

And there is no way a deposit can be saved by people who are living several days a fortnight without any money at all.

Once upon a time the Housing Department allowed "long term" tenants to BUY their property at a reduced rate, so that somebody on, say the DSP, could negotiate and end up paying for the house they live in.  No idea whether this is still available but it was back in the 80s.

That is something the 'Dept' of housing' should bring back in.

You've got to get into public housing in the first place, even if that was still an option ... which it isn't.

It can take up to 20 years to get a place through public housing. The government sold off a whole bunch of properties to developers.

There is absolutely no safety net for a massive number of people.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #34 - May 16th, 2019 at 10:46am

I kinda 'regret' not going for a Home Ownership straight away, in a way. But that path in life veered away a long time ago. So I just improve on the path that I now travel.
It's like - being on the street in a City = homeless
But being in a Tent in the Bush = Camping.
I would only pitch a tent to sleep in the bush, as my days were active and busy. Laundromats provided clothes washing/drying and Local Pools provided some apnea laps and shower/shave each day. Didn't need to cook, although I had easy food in the car (tins, biscuits, etc) - I ate out mostly. I only paid $170 a month for Storage.

While living in Melbourne: I lived in a 67' Dodge (Double bed, TV in the back, plus storage) like a Backpacker - but only better. I paid $126 a month for parking in the big Hanger near the Heli-pad on the Yarra while working at the Backpacker Hostel on King St where they paid $17 a night. Those places are gone now - high rise office blocks.

I'm not a fan of city living though. If you don't conform to the 'Termite' living style - it can be tedious getting around.
Boarding Houses are cheap - but hectic.

Outback, I found that many a town or village folk would have empty houses that I could stay in for just a few $$ a week. It's a nice experience as they enjoy a fresh face who isn't a drunk hobo or ice junkie and there were plenty of different jobs going around to break the routine 9 to 5. Was often invited to family dinners, etc. Definitely not a case of 'Wake in Fright'. But there are sacrifices for this sort of living, its not a 'Family' supportive lifestyle - but many do these days in RV's and big Caravans and the kids love it.
Each year, I meet more and more people working from home - their RV's/Campers. It seems an increase lifestyle - no longer for just Grey Nomad retirees.

There was a time I was earning very good money in Sydney - but my living was just 'poor'. Too busy, constant grid-lock travel for hours, no time for anything much else. So I left. tired of working for the 'Economy'.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print