Send Topic Print
Kate Regrets Renting (Read 2488 times)
PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Kate Regrets Renting
May 15th, 2019 at 12:56pm

Quote:
In her early 20s, Kate cherished her freedom too much to let the mortgage shackles tie her down.

"I never wanted to really own a house," she said.
"For me, renting was attractive because it gave me freedom of mobility. It meant that if I needed to leave, I could.

"I didn't have to invest all of that money into repairs and maintenance, and all of those costs and taxes that property owners have to have."

Now 44 and a single mother of one, nothing seems as attractive as a home to call her own

Quote:
Dr Flanagan said Australia's rental market was "utterly unsuited" for providing long-term secure housing, and the country would do well to look towards Europe.

"In Europe, renting is much more normalised and renting is accompanied by legislative environment that supports long-term renting," she said.

"Tenants have more control over their property
."

Quote:
The Real Estate Institute of Australia (REIA) estimates that 8 million Australians across the country are renting

LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Kate Regrets Renting
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2019 at 3:55pm

I agreed with kate up untill I was 30....then I bought a house.
I wouldn't want to live in a new estate though. That is utterly ridiculous how the houses are so close together, and the build quality....hmmmm.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:31pm

Captain Caveman wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 3:55pm:
I wouldn't want to live in a new estate though. That is utterly ridiculous how the houses are so close together, and the build quality....hmmmm.

I too was nearly 30 when I purchased my home.
I was the only one working, and with 2 children and a wife to support, money was tight.
Saving a deposited required me working two additional jobs and at the time I was also in pert time university ( with associated expenses)

Them was hard years.
I only really saw my wife and kids on Sunday afternoon, after working all night on one of my jobs.

But now, I have a beautiful 4 bedroom home, huge garage, carport and many toys.

The problem with some people is they want everything and don't want to work for it
We made do with a old house and I have spent years getting it to where I want it.
We made do with used cars, and I repaired them myself using parts from wreckers
We were very frugal and didn't go out much, even then it was to cheap places.

Our first holiday was camping at Sandbar, and I remember thinking that $25.00 to put up a tent was exorbitant.
That was after nearly 10 years of marriage.
I worked over all my holidays as a contractor to get extra cash.

The grubberment was very helpful.....NOT.
they hit me hard for every cent they could grab.
They charge you the top tax rate for every cent on second or third jobs.

And 18% interest rates nearly cost me my home, thanks again grubberment.

But we now own everything
We owe no one anything, except a small loan for my new 4x4.
And I can pay that with cash I have in the bank if necessary.
But I like to keep a cunning kick just in case.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:35pm

Renting should only ever be considered as a short term solution. I've never understood why people would rather pay their landlords mortgage over their own.
When I used to manage properties I convinced several tenants that unless they wanted to live in a caravan when they retired, they need to think longer term.

In many cases the repayments can even be less than the rent. Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:38pm

John Smith wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 4:35pm:
Renting should only ever be considered as a short term solution. I've never understood why people would rather pay their landlords mortgage over their own.
When I used to manage properties I convinced several tenants that unless they wanted to live in a caravan when they retired, they need to think longer term.

But home ownership, in reality, is just not an option for many people ... and those ranks are swelling.

We need to accept that our rental market is going to be a huge part of our future make-up and adapt. Rather quickly too.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:46pm

mothra wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 4:38pm:

But home ownership, in reality, is just not an option for many people ... and those ranks are swelling.

We need to accept that our rental market is going to be a huge part of our future make-up and adapt. Rather quickly too.

I hear that a lot but I don't buy that argument. There are always options out there, you just have to be willing to look. The hard part with property is starting. Don't buy a 5 bedroom house with 2 garages 10 mins from the CBD as your first home, buy a one bed unit in a crappy spot for $100k. Either live in it or rent it, it doesn't matter, as long as you pay it off as quickly as possible. Then sell it and upgrade to a 2 bedder, you've got $100k deposit., pay that off and upgrade again  ...  Keep going until you get to what you need, where you need it.

If my kids were older I'd have them looking to buy a poo box out in Bathurst or Tamworth, somewhere cheaper but with enough population that your property isn't going to crash in price if one business mine shuts shop and rent it out. I'd encourage them to pay that off while they're still at home  and then go from there.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:49pm

John Smith wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 4:46pm:
mothra wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 4:38pm:

I hear that a lot but I don't buy that argument. There are always options out there, you just have to be willing to look. The hard part with property is starting. Don't buy a 5 bedroom house with 2 garages 10 mins from the CBD as your first home, buy a one bed unit in a crappy spot for $100k. Either live in it or rent it, it doesn't matter, as long as you pay it off as quickly as possible. Then sell it and upgrade to a 2 bedder, you've got $100k deposit., pay that off and upgrade again  ...  Keep going until you get to what you need, where you need it.

If my kids were older I'd have them looking to buy a poo box out in Bathurst or Tamworth, somewhere cheaper but with enough population that your property isn't going to crash in price if one business mine shuts shop and rent it out. I'd encourage them to pay that off while they're still at home  and then go from there.

Even if you could find a property for $100k that will appreciate, there is no lending institution that will do business with someone on the DSP. Or any other benefit, for that matter.

And there is no way a deposit can be saved by people who are living several days a fortnight without any money at all.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:50pm

mothra wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 4:49pm:
Even if you could find a property for $100k that will appreciate, there is no lending institution that will do business with someone on the DSP. Or any other benefit, for that matter.

And there is no way a deposit can be saved by people who are living several days a fortnight without any money at all.

that's true ... full time work is essential or it can't happen.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Mary Black

Reply #8 - May 15th, 2019 at 4:54pm

John Smith wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 4:46pm:

EXACTLY! Buy a unit, then upgrade as you earn more. Even owning your own 1 BR unit outright when you get old is far better than still having to rent! 

Kids want it ALL and want it NOW!

IP Logged

Mary Black

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2019 at 5:02pm

Once upon a time the Housing Department allowed "long term" tenants to BUY their property at a reduced rate, so that somebody on, say the DSP, could negotiate and end up paying for the house they live in.  No idea whether this is still available but it was back in the 80s.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2019 at 5:19pm

Some even have body corporate! I have a friend that bought a house (about 500000) in a new estate and has to pay body corporate. Ridiculous..

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #11 - May 15th, 2019 at 5:22pm

She made terrible choices in her life.

A degree that meant she was unemployable
Having a baby without a decent partner to assist in raising it
Enjoying partying instead of saving for her future

Now it's biting her in the bum.

IBI

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 15th, 2019 at 5:25pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 5:19pm:

Some even have body corporate! I have a friend that bought a house (about 500000) in a new estate and has to pay body corporate. Ridiculous..

Spot

I'd say then that he doesn't pay local govt. rates?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #13 - May 15th, 2019 at 5:36pm

Mary Black wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 5:02pm:

Once upon a time the Housing Department allowed "long term" tenants to BUY their property at a reduced rate, so that somebody on, say the DSP, could negotiate and end up paying for the house they live in.  No idea whether this is still available but it was back in the 80s.

Yeah, but the greedy grubberment got dollar signs in their eyes and now simply want to screw every working man and woman.

They want both partners to work full time and pay lots and lots of taxes.

Houses in Australia are bullshite expensive.
For what you pay for a shack in Australia, you could get a nice home in most other civilized countries.

But again, the grubberment is greedy and the slime bags paying grubberment officials in nice paper bags want the market to stay that way.

Love your avatar, by the way.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 15th, 2019 at 5:39pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 5:19pm:

Spot

Body corporate provides a service. It covers costs of building insurance, maintaining lifts, pool, gym, spa's, onsite managers, in some cases a library, roofs etc.

In the end, it's usually not much different to what you would have paid if you had your own house with the same services.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print