Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
The tide is turning for Rupert (Read 2001 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The tide is turning for Rupert
May 13th, 2019 at 3:24pm

Mounting evidence the tide is turning on News Corp, and its owner

There is mounting evidence that Australia is sick of Rupert Murdoch and the political propaganda machine he runs in the guise of a news organisation.

In January, Bill Shorten rebuffed an open-ended offer to meet Murdoch whenever the opposition leader was in the United States. According to the ABC’s 7.30 political editor, Laura Tingle, Shorten replied that any dealings he had with News Corp would be conducted with the company’s representatives in Australia.

This was a bold break with tradition. For decades, Labor leaders have paid court to Murdoch. During the prime ministership of Bob Hawke, there was memorable footage of a cortege of ministerial cars driving in procession through the gates of Murdoch’s farm outside Canberra.

It was Paul Keating who changed the media ownership rules in 1987 so that Murdoch was able to buy the Herald and Weekly Times, giving him what has turned into a newspaper monopoly in Brisbane, Adelaide and Hobart, as well as ownership of the Herald Sun in Melbourne.

Shorten’s two predecessors, Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard, both met Murdoch in New York in an attempt to obtain his blessing.

Much good it did any of them. Rudd has bitterly repented, saying last August that Murdoch was “the greatest cancer on Australian democracy” and calling for a royal commission into News Corp.

More dramatic, however, has been the fallout from last week’s attack by the Daily Telegraph on Shorten over the life story of his deceased mother.

Not only did the media as a whole stand back at a news conference and allow Shorten to let rip for ten minutes at this “gotcha poo”, but two high-profile journalists with News Corp credentials have spoken out against the organisation’s culture.

The courage this took should not be underestimated. They must know the relentless personal vilification that befalls anyone who ends up on the News Corp hate list.

One of them, Rick Morton, is on the staff of The Australian, where he is social affairs editor.

He told a seminar at the University of Technology Sydney on May 9 that in recent months, “the craziness has been dialled up” at the newspaper.

He said openly what other insiders have been saying for years: that senior writers know what the editorial line is and write stories to fit. “It’s not always a Murdoch line; it’s just that Murdoch hires editors who are very much like him.”

Asked whether the paper’s journalists were uncomfortable with The Australian’s barracking for the Coalition in the election, Morton said they were “more uncomfortable certainly now than at any time I’ve been there in the past seven years”.

“There is a real mood that something has gone wrong.”

A second attack came from Tony Koch. He worked for News Corp for 30 years and is a very distinguished journalist: winner of five Walkley Awards, recipient of the Graham Perkin Journalist of the Year Award and – ironically – of the Sir Keith Murdoch News Limited Award.

He did not mince words:

No editor I worked for would have put up with the biased anti-Labor rubbish that, shamefully, the papers now produce on a daily basis.

Gone is the requirement for balance. One has only to look at the story selection and headlines on the front pages of the papers each day to see that an anti-Labor angle has been taken, however contorted had been the literary gymnastics required to finally arrive at that particular bit of stupidity.

It was notable that both went well beyond the specific case of the Telegraph, assailing the performance of the group’s flagship, The Australian, and the craven nature of the organisation’s editorial leadership.

As if to confirm the bias they spoke of, the lead headline on page 12 of The Weekend Australian on May 11-12 contained this magnificent Freudian slip: “Hypocritical” ALP must back our tax package. Our tax package? The story was about Scott Morrison claiming a mandate for the Coalition’s $158 billion tax package.

In the current issue of The Monthly, the magazine’s US correspondent Richard Cooke has weighed in with a substantial essay arguing that News Corp represents a grave threat to democracy.

Cooke has just published a book based on his observations of life in the United States during and after the election of Donald Trump. He writes of News Corp in Australia:

[I]t isn’t a normal news organisation any longer. At News Corp – in an inversion of journalism’s ideal– the old-fashioned, straight-down-the-line reporting is expendable and surplus to requirements. It is the unhinged propaganda outfit that is central to the identity of the company. It is the core that is lunatic, not the fringe.

In the US and UK, where Murdoch is a big player, some rival media organisations have confronted him. The most recent instance was a three-part series in April by The New York Times called How Rupert Murdoch’s Empire of Influence Remade the World.

Now the uprising has spread to Australia, driven by politicians and journalists, people with skin in the game.

Why?

No doubt the decline in readership of the News Corp newspapers is a factor. Roy Morgan newspaper readership data for the year ended March 2019 show year-on-year declines for The Australian, the Telegraph, the Courier-Mail and the Herald Sun. The Adelaide Advertiser and Hobart Mercury were up Monday to Friday but down at weekends.

(cont)

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The tide is turning for Rupert
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2019 at 3:25pm

This is part of the overall decline in newspaper readership that also afflicts The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and the Australian Financial Review.

But this decline has been a trend for several years, so it cannot fully explain the recent rebellion.

Shorten’s refusal to meet Murdoch, the searing attacks by him and other politicians on the Daily Telegraph, the criticism from News Corp-related journalists and the attacks by rival publishers suggest something is happening in the political zeitgeist, and not just in Australia: that at some level, democratic societies have had enough of Murdoch and his propaganda operation masquerading as a news service.

https://theconversation.com/mounting-evidence-the-tide-is-turning-on-news-corp-a...

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:35pm

No one really thinks newscorp is anything other than the propaganda arm of the liberal party, do they?

I don't know why is is allowed to get away with lie after lie ... he should have been shut down ages ago

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:40pm

John Smith wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 5:35pm:
No one really thinks newscorp is anything other than the propaganda arm of the liberal party, do they?

I don't know why is is allowed to get away with lie after lie ... he should have been shut down ages ago

The scary thing is it's more than just the LNP. It's an international agenda.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:45pm

whats the difference with FAIRFAX  who for years have demonised the right....and now the Guardian...not withstanding our very own ABC......

its only when its tossed back at you you see the bias...

now folks its Mr Google  and the likes.....

its the way we are heading   

we all get our information from somewhere else....

we dont dream it up in our heads..

there is a lot of c&p on here and other forums.....from areas I have never heard of.........quite a lot foreign....

I happen to prefer to stick with Australian media  in the hope they mostly have MY COUNTRY at their heart....

we all have a different opinion and we should embrace that instead of constantly attacking it....

you guys seem to be in fear of Murdoch...yet you know all about him and where he is at any time

what about GETUP.?...they work for labor so they are ok?...

of course they are.... Roll Eyes

yet sly and secret...is how i see them....working against this country.... not for it!

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:47pm

Did you read the article, Cods? Are you not troubled by it?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:48pm

mothra wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 5:40pm:

and GETUP isnt ?  what about al Jerezza?

you never mention their interference...

or where the money comes from... or what they are doing in our politics?...

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:50pm

cods wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 5:48pm:

Cods, GetUp doesn't have a media monopoly. You're comparing apples with oranges.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:51pm

mothra wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 5:47pm:

its all about shortarse   not interested in him I am afraid..

hes two faced...deceived his wife  deceived his union members he was meant to be working for.   deceived krudd deceived gillard......

hes all yours.

as for murdoch!!!!!   dont read his papers simples really...

I dont read the guardian. or fairfax whats left of it.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:53pm

mothra wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 5:50pm:

Cods, GetUp doesn't have a media monopoly. You're comparing apples with oranges.

murdoch doesnt either

its not compulsory to watch his shows or read his newspapers... 

is he letter box dropping or paying people to doorknock? or paste nasty posters up or put dog poo through letter boxes...

not that I am aware of...

but I am aware thats some of the things GETUP is doing.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:03pm

cods wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 5:51pm:
mothra wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 5:47pm:

hes two faced...deceived his wife  deceived his union members he was meant to be working for.   deceived krudd deceived gillard......

hes all yours.

as for murdoch!!!!!   dont read his papers simples really...

I dont read the guardian. or fairfax whats left of it.

It's not all about Shorten at all. You really should read it.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:06pm

Phillip Adams has been writing for it for decades.  Peter van Onselen for years.

The Australian is in fact the best newspaper in Australia, far more balanced and centrist than the ABC or Fairfax - neither of which has a single right of centre regular contributor.

There is no 'Murdoch' interference -none of the editors of any of the News Corp papers would stand for it.  It's a conspiracy myth lefties always propagate about anyone and anything that doesn't side with their Bolshevik agit prop.

The title of this laughable piece is instructive.

Mounting evidence the tide is turning on News Corp, and its owner

There is no tide and there is no turning. And certainly no evidence.
Shorten said no to meeting Murdoch during the election campaign IF he was in America (which, of course he will not be during the campaign). And .... er... that's it.

And this from a senior researcher at a university journalism school. Ho ridiculous can you get???

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:08pm

Is this just a Mothra beat up against Murdoch in the wake of her Dirty Power Topic?

Going by the way Australia operates as a majority and the state of the nation - I would say that the 'majority' of Australians 'love' Murdoch and how everything is going, especially when the 'Dirty Power' is paying the wages and the Greens are not.

Put up or shut up.
"SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:09pm

cods wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 5:45pm:
whats the difference with FAIRFAX  who for years have demonised the right....and now the Guardian...not withstanding our very own ABC......

rubbish ... Fairfax went after Rudd and Gillard just as much as anyone else. They aren't anyones propaganda arm

I happen to prefer to stick with Australian media  in the hope they mostly have MY COUNTRY at their heart...

Newscorp isn't Australian dear

what about GETUP.?

getup aren't a media company, nor do they support any one party.

what about al Jerezza?

Al jazeera? How many people in Australia read or watch Al jazeera cods? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Grin Grin interference? They busted ON while making a doco on the UN gun lobby  ... did you expect them to keep it secret? Unless it falls in their lap, AJ doesn't give a poo about australian politics

no it's not, he barely gets a mention, read the article before you make a bigger fool of yourself

hes two faced...

unlike scomo who gave turnbull his full support the day before stabbing him in the back Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

cods wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 5:53pm:
its not compulsory to watch his shows or read his newspapers...

it sure isn't ... that doesn't mean he should be allowed to get away with blatant lies 

sounds to me like you're a tad upset the libs are gonna get their butts kicked cods ... relax, take a breath, bill will look after you ... he'll probably even raise your pension if you behave Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:10pm

Frank wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 6:06pm:
The Australian is in fact the best newspaper in Australia, far more balanced and centrist than the ABC or Fairfax - neither of which has a single right of centre regular contributor

only a retard would even think that let alone write it.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print