Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Overweight is the new norm for Australians (Read 1933 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Overweight is the new norm for Australians
May 11th, 2019 at 3:52pm

Evolution is endowing Australians with big guts and butts as gluttony, sedentary work, and sedentary leisure take their toll and the average man and woman is overweight.

Its probably worse for children as compared to the children of past ages who were extremely active compared to the sedentary life of today's children.

How long before the average Australian transitions from overweight to obese?

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/weekend-australian-magazine/bigger-taller-...

Quote:
... It is April 2008. In an ultra-chic boutique in Chapel Street, Melbourne, 28-year-old Lucy Jamieson is squeezing a knee-length, ice-blue skirt over her generous derrière and thighs in front of a floor-to-ceiling mirror. At 71kg and 163cm tall, she is the average weight and height for today, 12kg heavier but only 2cm taller than her great-great grandmother who shared her first name. She’s read that the average size in Australia is now 16, but she is constantly irritated by the inconsistencies in dress sizes between shops. She’s already been to Seduce, where she’s a size 14, and Country Road, where she’s a 12. Her proportions bear little resemblance to the mannequin in the window, little changed since Edwardian times. Outside, her 26-year-old boyfriend Joe is fussing with the camera settings on his new mobile phone. At 85kg and 178cm tall, he is the average size for a man of his age, 13kg heavier than a typical male back in the 1920s. As Lucy steps out of the shop, Joe takes a happy snap.

It’s no secret that Australians are getting heavier, that almost two-thirds of us are battling the bulge, that our kids seem bigger, taller and stronger than we were at their age. But try this on for size: little by little, our body shapes have changed over the course of a few generations – so much so that it’s taken not only public health experts but also biologists and micro-evolutionists by surprise. Women’s hips have become wider, their breasts, bums and feet bigger. Men look different too, with thicker necks, backs and chests. We have all become taller (but not nearly as much as our cousins in northern Europe). The waists of both sexes, which form the foundation of the hourglass silhouette in women and the V-shaped chest in men, are disappearing as the bodies of both genders become more tube-like. Girls are developing breasts two years earlier and menstruating at least a year earlier. Boys are reaching their adult height at a younger age, 17, but the growth spurt is happening in their legs, creating a lankier look. Blood pressures are significantly up (even among children). Sperm counts are dramatically down. We’re three times more likely to be short-sighted, and five times more likely to suffer from Type II diabetes. And yet our bodies are lasting much longer: in 1926 the average male could expect to live to 59 and the average female 63; today it’s 77 and 82 respectively, which can be chalked up to seismic advances in medicine, and a big drop in the rates of infant mortality and infectious disease. ... 

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Overweight is the new norm for Australians
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2019 at 4:33pm

Anything there to do with bone structure?

BMI? Grin Grin Grin Grin

Laugh till you cry wrote on May 11th, 2019 at 3:52pm:
At 85kg and 178cm tall, he is the average size for a man of his age, 13kg heavier than a typical male back in the 1920s.

What was the average size for a male in the 1920's?

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2019 at 4:34pm

Based on the above, there have been big changes since 1926 in life expectancy and body dimensions.  Guess most would be more than happy with the swap

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2019 at 4:46pm

lee wrote on May 11th, 2019 at 4:33pm:
Anything there to do with bone structure?

BMI? Grin Grin Grin Grin

Laugh till you cry wrote on May 11th, 2019 at 3:52pm:
At 85kg and 178cm tall, he is the average size for a man of his age, 13kg heavier than a typical male back in the 1920s.

What was the average size for a male in the 1920's?

Denizen lee's mammaries are longer than his memories.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2019 at 7:10pm

Fat is the new thin..... grey is the new blonde .....

The Tassie Bearded Clam still holds power, given the number of cart horses pushing strollers... mind you, there's nothing wrong with a bit of padded pussy...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #5 - May 12th, 2019 at 4:00pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 11th, 2019 at 7:10pm:
Fat is the new thin..... grey is the new blonde .....

The Tassie Bearded Clam still holds power, given the number of cart horses pushing strollers... mind you, there's nothing wrong with a bit of padded pussy...

https://floroy1942.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/o-pulp-570.jpg

Is Grappler now fantasizing fat?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - May 12th, 2019 at 4:14pm

What about Rebel Wilson?

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #7 - May 12th, 2019 at 4:30pm

Bobby. wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:14pm:

Isn't that Bill Shorten?

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2019 at 4:32pm

Fuzzball wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:30pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:14pm:

Isn't that Bill Shorten?

You marry a slim Aussie girl when she's 18 & by 40 she looks like Rebel Wilson.  Grin

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2019 at 4:39pm

Larger women on average use their mouth a lot better imo  Wink

I will agree though...there are a shyte load of fat bastards out there aren't there bargearse.
Remember sergeant bargearse?  Grin

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #10 - May 12th, 2019 at 5:06pm

I'm fat
125 kilo and I'm only 6 feet tall.

When, at my peak, training 4 days a week and fighting on weekends, I weighed 100 kilo,
But it was all muscle.
Now at 125, it's mostly fat.

I'm not happy and currently on a diet.
But it's taken me 3 weeks to lose only 1 kilo.

And........I'm damn hungry alllllllllll the time.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #11 - May 12th, 2019 at 5:41pm

Valkie wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 5:06pm:
I'm fat

When, at my peak, training 4 days a week and fighting on weekends, I weighed 100 kilo,
But it was all muscle.

Correction. You are not fat, you are obese.

or ...

You are 60 cm shorter than you should be for that weight.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 12th, 2019 at 10:13pm

Only on an airplane, it seems...

I'm supposedly overweight - but the fat's not in my head... just in my beer gut (ah, the Guinness noe!) .... careful allocation of fat resources there... the body knows what it's doing...

I think not eating chicken or pork - as I have not for most of my life apart from when young - might have something to do with it... all the fatties eat chooks and pigs... I don't - my dad ran them at home and I like animals.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #13 - May 13th, 2019 at 3:48am

My 189cm tall daughter is about 63kg. Compared to my 177cm tall and 110kg frame. My daughter likes to fat-shame me about my weight. But she is very much an active person who could play tennis for 3 hours straight and still be up to go nightclubbing that evening.

I was on my way to just accepting that I am fat. But, as a result of finding out new cures, I am on my way back to getting into shape.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:29am

the "narrow road to success".

i think the stats are that 90 % of people who lose weight will have put it all back on within a year.

thats the failure rate for something as basic as putting food in your system.

thats the failure rate for something as basic as the most basic of functions, something that bacteria do, something that yeast cells do.

yet humans cant even control this basic urge with their supposedly supercomputer of a brain.

failure is the default
garbage is the norm.

you will NEVER NEVER NEVER get there by following the mainstream because the mainstream is nearly always about following the path of least resistance and being a little bitch.

if you really want to do it, you have to build mental strength.

buy that carrot or that lebanese cucumber
go sit in pizza hut or maccas and eat it and savour it and when the 'freaks ' eating their processed food that isnt even food (how f***king weird) look at you like YOU are the weirdo, concentrate DEEPLY on how that feels, absorb the social pressure of the mainstream.
absorb deep to your core , how you are NOT going to be dragged down by their garbage, how you are not going to have a bowel cancer and sh***t into a bag on your abdomenal wall, how you are not going to have a stroke and be pushed around in a wheelchair, how you are not going to have a knee replacement and spend every night crying in pain as you roll over in bed.

have a deep emotional experience of the garbage that is the mainstream and feel strong.

feel so strong and powerful and resourceful that their weakness makes you want to puke, their lack of willpower is literally disgusting to you,

use their disgusting behaviour as the motivational emotional juice to fuel an upward spiral.
watch them closely as they consume that Big Mac with its processed cheese and processed onion and sugary bun and trnasfat filled pattie and feel like you want to throw up all over them.

then walk with your shoulders back and head high and strutt out of that establishment and feel good, feel superior, feel that you are a man in your prime, take some god dammed pride in your appearance, take some god dammed pride in your will power, take some god dammed pride in what you can achieve and resolve never to be a little bitch again

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #15 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:40am

obesity is great population control.... Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #16 - May 13th, 2019 at 7:17am

aquascoot wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 6:29am:

i think the stats are that 90 % of people who lose weight will have put it all back on within a year.

thats the failure rate for something as basic as the most basic of functions, something that bacteria do, something that yeast cells do.

yet humans cant even control this basic urge with their supposedly supercomputer of a brain.

failure is the default
garbage is the norm.

you will NEVER NEVER NEVER get there by following the mainstream because the mainstream is nearly always about following the path of least resistance and being a little bitch.

go sit in pizza hut or maccas and eat it and savour it and when the 'freaks ' eating their processed food that isnt even food (how f***king weird) look at you like YOU are the weirdo, concentrate DEEPLY on how that feels, absorb the social pressure of the mainstream.
absorb deep to your core , how you are NOT going to be dragged down by their garbage, how you are not going to have a bowel cancer and sh***t into a bag on your abdomenal wall, how you are not going to have a stroke and be pushed around in a wheelchair, how you are not going to have a knee replacement and spend every night crying in pain as you roll over in bed.

have a deep emotional experience of the garbage that is the mainstream and feel strong.

feel so strong and powerful and resourceful that their weakness makes you want to puke, their lack of willpower is literally disgusting to you,

use their disgusting behaviour as the motivational emotional juice to fuel an upward spiral.
watch them closely as they consume that Big Mac with its processed cheese and processed onion and sugary bun and trnasfat filled pattie and feel like you want to throw up all over them.

then walk with your shoulders back and head high and strutt out of that establishment and feel good, feel superior, feel that you are a man in your prime, take some god dammed pride in your appearance, take some god dammed pride in your will power, take some god dammed pride in what you can achieve and resolve never to be a little bitch again

I know someone that eats exactly as you suggest but they still got bowel cancer. Apparently genetically predisposed.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - May 13th, 2019 at 7:52am

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 6:40am:

More plane crashes....

― John Adams

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - May 13th, 2019 at 8:39am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 7:17am:

failure is the default
garbage is the norm.

I know someone that eats exactly as you suggest but they still got bowel cancer. Apparently genetically predisposed.

Spot

anecdotal evidence. Sad

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - May 13th, 2019 at 8:43am

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 6:40am:

probably untrue.

it doesnt kill that much earlier

it just leads to chronic illness that much earlier

so fat steve gets to live a garbage existence in his early 50's and the taxpayer gets to pay for steves medical care 20 years early.

steve eats garbage, his health turns to garbage and any policy which excuses people for being fat pukes is garbage.

people have zero willpower nowdays and they cant take action for sh**t.
even the most basic stuff like the food you eat.

i look at clive palmer and christensen or kim beezley or vandstone  and i think, you are an undisciplined tool and if you cant control that aspect of your life, you have no business saying you can control a federal budget

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #20 - May 13th, 2019 at 8:56am

aquascoot wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 8:39am:

failure is the default
garbage is the norm.

Spot

anecdotal evidence. Sad

So? What's your evidence that processed food causes bowel cancer?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #21 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:04am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 3:48am:
My 189cm tall daughter is about 63kg. Compared to my 177cm tall and 110kg frame. My daughter likes to fat-shame me about my weight. But she is very much an active person who could play tennis for 3 hours straight and still be up to go nightclubbing that evening.

I was on my way to just accepting that I am fat. But, as a result of finding out new cures, I am on my way back to getting into shape.

Your daughter is underweight.

In her condition, 3 hours of tennis would be unlikely and possibly dangerous.

https://www.healthline.com/health/underweight-health-risks#seek-help

Quote:
... There’s a lot of focus in the medical world on the health effects of being overweight, but what about the effects of being underweight? There are certain health risks associated with being underweight or having poor nutrition.

These risks include:

malnutrition, vitamin deficiencies, or anemia
osteoporosis from too little vitamin D and calcium
decreased immune function
increased risk for complications from surgery
fertility issues caused by irregular menstrual cycles
growth and development issues, especially in children and teenagers ...

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:50am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 8:56am:
aquascoot wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 8:39am:

failure is the default
garbage is the norm.

Spot

anecdotal evidence. Sad

So? What's your evidence that processed food causes bowel cancer?

Spot

Prepackaged, processed foods are typically high in fat, salt, and sugar. If that's not enough to make you put down a cookie or resist a frozen dinner, consider an observational study published online Feb. 14, 2018, by The BMJ. It analyzed dietary questionnaire answers of 105,000 middle-aged men and women in France for five years. Foods were grouped according to degree of processing — that is, the amount of change the ingredients go through as food makers improve flavor, coloring, and shelf life. For example, dehydrated soups, baked goods, sugary cereals, processed meats, biscuits, and sauces were considered ultra-processed foods. Less processed foods included canned vegetables, cheeses, and freshly made unpackaged bread. Every 10% increase in consumption of ultra-processed foods was associated with a 12% higher risk for cancer in general and an 11% increased risk for breast cancer

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:52am

Being physically active decreases the risk of colon (not rectal) cancer.

Among 18-24 year-olds, 45% of men and 51% of women are insufficiently active;
for those aged 55-64, 54% of men and 60% of women are insufficiently active.

Modifiable Bowel Cancer Australia wholegrains 1152

Consuming wholegrains and foods containing dietary fibre decreases the risk of bowel cancer.

Only one-third (34%) of all grain (cereal) foods consumed by Australians are wholegrain or high-fibre products.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - May 13th, 2019 at 11:51am

Laugh till you cry wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 5:41pm:
I'm fat

But it was all muscle.

or ...

Actually at that weight and height he is classed as "morbidly obese". I don't know how people let themselves get into that disgusting physical state.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #25 - May 13th, 2019 at 11:56am

rhino wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 11:51am:
I'm fat

But it was all muscle.

or ...

Actually at that weight and height he is classed as "morbidly obese". I don't know how people let themselves get into that disgusting physical state.

Come on Rhino, you know that going purely off the BMI chart doesn't take into account muscle mass.

IBI

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #26 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:10pm

Gordon wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 11:56am:
I'm fat

But it was all muscle.

or ...

Come on Rhino, you know that going purely off the BMI chart doesn't take into account muscle mass.

Gordon is about to confess he has very big bones to support a giant anus.

Gordon, some news, you don't lose weight by watching semi-naked young men swirling kettlebells.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #27 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:30pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 12:10pm:
I'm fat

But it was all muscle.

or ...

Gordon, some news, you don't lose weight by watching semi-naked young men swirling kettlebells.

You're a really creepy person. Yuck.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:40pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 12:10pm:
I'm fat

But it was all muscle.

or ...

Grin

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #29 - May 13th, 2019 at 7:37pm

Greg and Laugh.

Ozpols quiniela of queer.

Yuck

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #30 - May 14th, 2019 at 3:49am

Laugh till you cry wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 9:04am:
UnSubRocky wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 3:48am:

Your daughter is underweight.

In her condition, 3 hours of tennis would be unlikely and possibly dangerous.

https://www.healthline.com/health/underweight-health-risks#seek-help

Quote:
... There’s a lot of focus in the medical world on the health effects of being overweight, but what about the effects of being underweight? There are certain health risks associated with being underweight or having poor nutrition.

These risks include:

malnutrition, vitamin deficiencies, or anemia
osteoporosis from too little vitamin D and calcium
decreased immune function
increased risk for complications from surgery
fertility issues caused by irregular menstrual cycles
growth and development issues, especially in children and teenagers ...

I would have said that my daughter is underweight, too. But she is only in her early 20s and is still to bear the motherhood role or the adult weight gain of the mid-twenties, yet. I don't know how much she weighs now. I would assume 70kg would be her weight. But, she does like to make a fact about how she is 12cm taller than I. What I do know is that her boyfriend likes having a tall girlfriend with long legs, skinny waist, and a pretty face. I just hope he has more respect for her than just a status symbol.

Her health is fine. She can run about on a tennis court for 3 sets. I doubt that she has been on the court for 3 hours, come to think of it. But, I reckon she could probably run a marathon in 3 hours.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2019 at 1:27pm by UnSubRocky »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print