Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
V12 LS Engine - Made in Australia (Read 5769 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: V12 LS Engine - Made in Australia
Reply #60 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 10:10pm

I gotta say ..........

......... it sounds really awful

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 9:53am

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 11th, 2019 at 6:30am:
so they are made for drag cars I take it, I hope they do well, lots of rev heads out there.... Baron needs one for his Torana... Wink

My SS Torana is worth more with original matching numbers engine which doesn't really mean a lot as I have no plans to sell it despite a recent offer of $100K

A standard 300KW Ls1  picked  from a wrecked Commodore can be put in with no worries just need to change sump and engine mounts. 300 KW is 400 Hp which is the same as Brock had at Bathurst in 1979. A few have installed these into Toranas they do high 11 second quarter mile while getting 7-8 L per 100Km on the highway. The Ls1 in a Torana gets 20% better highway economy than a Starfire 4Cyl Torana.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 9:08am

Baron,

how does your Torana go against one of the new Mercedes AMG hot cars ? I think they have 1 or 2 turbos on a V8 or V12.

Do you have a turbo on your Torana ?

Bet you are glad you don't have to meet California emission standards.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 4:26pm

juliar wrote on Jul 1st, 2019 at 9:08am:
Baron,

how does your Torana go against one of the new Mercedes AMG hot cars ? I think they have 1 or 2 turbos on a V8 or V12.

Do you have a turbo on your Torana ?

Bet you are glad you don't have to meet California emission standards.

I try not to break road rules I value my license so I don't bother trying to race people on the street.

No Turbos I have put fuel injection from a VN Group A commodore on it, I have ADR27A on compliance plate so this was the easiest way to meet emissions with modified engine. The VN Group A did 6 seconds to 100KPH I have a bigger camshaft more compression the Torana is also much lighter just under 1200 Kg.

I raced Karts about 20 years ago so once or twice a year I take the Torana to Eastern Creek or Wakefield park so I can open it up without fear of being fined. I wallop a lot of late model cars most are more impressed by the handling and brakes. I do have Bilstein shocks ($600 for 4) and stiffer springs. It's a well balanced car easy to drive on the limit.

Karts are more fun for track work and racing.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 6:49pm

What about exhaust noise as the few Toranas I have seen on the street are pretty noisy and would immediately attract cops' attention these days.

I seem to recall the V8 Toranas were able to beat the V8 GTHO Falcons at Bathurst because they were lighter and had better power to weight ratio and better handling on the curves.

The Audi and Mercedes and Japanese cars with turbos are very quick these days. The old fashioned BMW's just seem to slog along. Wonder why they don't update that old fashioned double grill thing ?

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 7:02pm

juliar wrote on Jul 1st, 2019 at 6:49pm:
What about exhaust noise as the few Toranas I have seen on the street are pretty noisy and would immediately attract cops' attention these days.

I seem to recall the V8 Toranas were able to beat the V8 GTHO Falcons at Bathurst because they were lighter and had better power to weight ratio and better handling on the curves.

The Audi and Mercedes and Japanese cars with turbos are very quick these days. The old fashioned BMW's just seem to slog along. Wonder why they don't update that old fashioned double grill thing ?

Update the BMW kidney grill! Actually they have if you look at some of the future car studies but it is still recognisable.  Car manufacturers spend heaps on a design language, Audi with its grill, Lexus with the new spindle, Jeep with its 7 slats, Mazda Kodo language, jag and it’s proportion language, thought recently updated by Callum in the new Electronic jag.

You can look at time fade of mustang and Camaro from ends to see the elements moving around.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 7:44pm

Stig wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 8:35am:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 7:18am:
Johnnie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 5:20pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 5:06pm:
Johnnie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 4:43pm:
DonDeeHippy wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 4:38pm:
Johnnie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 4:18pm:
Stig wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 7:48am:
Johnnie wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 8:41pm:
Expect to lose 49% of your outlay on a BMW in 3yrs and if you need repairs be prepared to cough up an arm and a leg, who would buy one after 6 or 7yrs, the holdens and fords will go 20yrs with 2 oil changes.

Expect to lose big on any expensive car. Which is why I buy 2-3 years old, not new.

As for repairs and reliability - I've owned BMWs that were over 7 years old with no particular issues - I have one now. Repairs are more expensive than Holdens or Fords, but it's a performance car so it doesn't bother me. As for reliability overall - BMW beats Holden and Ford in every survey I've ever seen, and my experience backs that up.

When you buy a second hand performance BMW you can almost bet its been thrashed, its irresistible. Any car approaching 200.000 kilometers will be close to repairs and BMW repairs increase a lot over time.

In what way does a BMW beat a Commodore or Falcon in so far as reliability goes?

If you have a BMW , Holden or a ford that's been thrashed for 7 years I wouldn't imagine it would be cheep trying to keep any of them on the road..... Cheesy

But most people don't thrash Commodores or Falcons, they are good for just puttering around in, the performance BMWs on the other hand!

so no performance HSV or XR's get thrashed only performance BMW's do ? Cheesy Cheesy

No, I am saying the BMW family saloon will get thrashed, not just the performance ones, they are all very sporty.

It's not the performance of the car that gets it thrashed, it's who owns it... Ive know guys with very hot cars that look after them like a baby and then others with the cheapest nastiest car that think they are race cars...… To automatically think someone is going to pay around 100k for a vehicle and thrash it is a bit misguided.
The older a commodore or a falcon get the faster they go, because as they get cheaper, they get younger drivers who flog the rings out of them.

Absolutely. You just need to pick the right car, get a proper assessment of it before you buy, then get it serviced regularly.

One of mine is a twin-turbo 6 that will see off plenty of V8s, but was owned by a lawyer who drove it 5 klm each day from his house to his city office and back. Didn't really need the performance but wanted a top of the range version with plenty of power and all options.

Hasn't given any problems to this day, still goes like a rocket.

If I were to put a twin turbo on my V8 you wouldn't see me for dust.

Driving any car let alone a sporty BMW for five minutes twice a day in the city without even warming up is a good way to kill it, you might want to shop around for a good ford or holden.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 8:20pm

The BMW double grill thing is so daggy and out of date. It is ridiculous to see this same daggy grill stuck on their every model. BMW seem to be in a time warp.

Range Rover 4WD's are awkward old age looking things too.

Mercedes used to cling to an old fashioned look but they have totally abandoned that now.

I have heard that BMW and Mercedes are like Ford and Holden in Europe.

Apparently the Bentley has a twin turbo V8 or V12 I seem to recall.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print