Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
V12 LS Engine - Made in Australia (Read 5761 times)
Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: V12 LS Engine - Made in Australia
Reply #45 - May 16th, 2019 at 8:41pm

Stig wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 12:31pm:
Johnnie wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 5:37pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 5:05pm:
Johnnie wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:05pm:
Laugh till you cry wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:02pm:
Johnnie wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:00pm:
Laugh till you cry wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 3:55pm:
Ajax wrote on May 11th, 2019 at 8:18am:
Both the Ford & Holden design centres are still operating here in Australia.

Says something about both those teams....... Cool

Both produced their finest cars (world class) in the last models imo and then they shut shop and ran..... Huh

https://i.ibb.co/CWQpXL6/GTSHSV.jpg

Australia was not a leader in automotive technology or automotive manufacturing. Australia was a follower in both aspects.

Followers don't succeed unless they can do it for a lower price.

BS.

Bloody Sensational? Please don't thank me.

Not at all.
Which HSV didn't you like?
The Yanks were snapping them up for cop cars.

So what happened ? Couldn't sell enough of them to be profitable ?

The traitors were caught up in having BMWs kias and alike which are on the scrap heap in 5yrs and now we have no automotive industry and no good cars to buy unless you buy top end, even those are worthless second hand.

Never had any problem getting good trade ins for BMWs I've owned. Never had one break down either - let alone be "on the scrap heap".

Expect to lose 49% of your outlay on a BMW in 3yrs and if you need repairs be prepared to cough up an arm and a leg, who would buy one after 6 or 7yrs, the holdens and fords will go 20yrs with 2 oil changes.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #46 - May 18th, 2019 at 7:48am

Johnnie wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 8:41pm:
Expect to lose 49% of your outlay on a BMW in 3yrs and if you need repairs be prepared to cough up an arm and a leg, who would buy one after 6 or 7yrs, the holdens and fords will go 20yrs with 2 oil changes.

Expect to lose big on any expensive car. Which is why I buy 2-3 years old, not new.

As for repairs and reliability - I've owned BMWs that were over 7 years old with no particular issues - I have one now. Repairs are more expensive than Holdens or Fords, but it's a performance car so it doesn't bother me. As for reliability overall - BMW beats Holden and Ford in every survey I've ever seen, and my experience backs that up.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:12pm

So what are these V12 engines used for ?

The description mentions petrol so that would dramatically reduce its applications as the thirst would be frightening.

If the V12 block can be used for diesel then that would greatly expand its applications into things like diesel generators, large machinery, large trucks, etc.

But diesel engine blocks are quite different from petrol engine blocks.

The walls of a diesel engine block are normally far thicker than a block designed for a petrol engine, and they have more bracing webs to provide extra strength and to absorb stresses. ... Pistons, connecting rods, crankshafts and bearing caps have to be made stronger than their petrol engine counterparts.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2019 at 1:32pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #48 - May 21st, 2019 at 7:10am

juliar wrote on May 20th, 2019 at 8:12pm:
So what are these V12 engines used for ?

The description mentions petrol so that would dramatically reduce its applications as the thirst would be frightening.

If the V12 block can be used for diesel then that would greatly expand its applications into things light diesel generators, large machinery, large trucks, etc.

But diesel engine blocks are quite different from petrol engine blocks.

The walls of a diesel engine block are normally far thicker than a block designed for a petrol engine, and they have more bracing webs to provide extra strength and to absorb stresses. ... Pistons, connecting rods, crankshafts and bearing caps have to be made stronger than their petrol engine counterparts.

looks like they are targeting drag and street cars. Wink

I am me

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - May 21st, 2019 at 1:31pm

Go away lame brain Tweedledee you are like pollution.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - May 21st, 2019 at 4:18pm

Stig wrote on May 18th, 2019 at 7:48am:

Expect to lose big on any expensive car. Which is why I buy 2-3 years old, not new.

As for repairs and reliability - I've owned BMWs that were over 7 years old with no particular issues - I have one now. Repairs are more expensive than Holdens or Fords, but it's a performance car so it doesn't bother me. As for reliability overall - BMW beats Holden and Ford in every survey I've ever seen, and my experience backs that up.

When you buy a second hand performance BMW you can almost bet its been thrashed, its irresistible. Any car approaching 200.000 kilometers will be close to repairs and BMW repairs increase a lot over time.

In what way does a BMW beat a Commodore or Falcon in so far as reliability goes?

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #51 - May 21st, 2019 at 4:38pm

Johnnie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 4:18pm:

When you buy a second hand performance BMW you can almost bet its been thrashed, its irresistible. Any car approaching 200.000 kilometers will be close to repairs and BMW repairs increase a lot over time.

In what way does a BMW beat a Commodore or Falcon in so far as reliability goes?

If you have a BMW , Holden or a ford that's been thrashed for 7 years I wouldn't imagine it would be cheep trying to keep any of them on the road..... Cheesy

I am me

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - May 21st, 2019 at 4:43pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 4:38pm:

If you have a BMW , Holden or a ford that's been thrashed for 7 years I wouldn't imagine it would be cheep trying to keep any of them on the road..... Cheesy

But most people don't thrash Commodores or Falcons, they are good for just puttering around in, the performance BMWs on the other hand!

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #53 - May 21st, 2019 at 5:06pm

Johnnie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 4:43pm:

But most people don't thrash Commodores or Falcons, they are good for just puttering around in, the performance BMWs on the other hand!

so no performance HSV or XR's get thrashed only performance BMW's do ? Cheesy Cheesy

I am me

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - May 21st, 2019 at 5:20pm

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 5:06pm:

so no performance HSV or XR's get thrashed only performance BMW's do ? Cheesy Cheesy

No, I am saying the BMW family saloon will get thrashed, not just the performance ones, they are all very sporty.

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #55 - May 22nd, 2019 at 7:18am

Johnnie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 5:20pm:

No, I am saying the BMW family saloon will get thrashed, not just the performance ones, they are all very sporty.

It's not the performance of the car that gets it thrashed, it's who owns it... Ive know guys with very hot cars that look after them like a baby and then others with the cheapest nastiest car that think they are race cars...… To automatically think someone is going to pay around 100k for a vehicle and thrash it is a bit misguided.
The older a commodore or a falcon get the faster they go, because as they get cheaper, they get younger drivers who flog the rings out of them.

I am me

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #56 - May 22nd, 2019 at 8:35am

DonDeeHippy wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 7:18am:
Johnnie wrote on May 21st, 2019 at 5:20pm:

It's not the performance of the car that gets it thrashed, it's who owns it... Ive know guys with very hot cars that look after them like a baby and then others with the cheapest nastiest car that think they are race cars...… To automatically think someone is going to pay around 100k for a vehicle and thrash it is a bit misguided.
The older a commodore or a falcon get the faster they go, because as they get cheaper, they get younger drivers who flog the rings out of them.

Absolutely. You just need to pick the right car, get a proper assessment of it before you buy, then get it serviced regularly.

One of mine is a twin-turbo 6 that will see off plenty of V8s, but was owned by a lawyer who drove it 5 klm each day from his house to his city office and back. Didn't really need the performance but wanted a top of the range version with plenty of power and all options.

Hasn't given any problems to this day, still goes like a rocket.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - May 22nd, 2019 at 8:46am

How many times have you been booked for speeding ?

A super fast car is of no use now with the extreme policing of just about every road and street.

The max speed is 110km/h which just about any car can do now.

20km over and you are walking. 40km over and you are crying.

Extra power is needed if you tow a boat or caravan or trailer.

IP Logged

Tap

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - May 28th, 2019 at 4:40pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on May 10th, 2019 at 2:54pm:
juliar wrote on May 10th, 2019 at 2:36pm:
Total rubbish from a Lefty of course.

The excessive union demands simply made Ford and Holden and Toyota unprofitable here in Australia.

Australia's small population meant Ford and Holden and Toyota had to export and there they never stood a chance competing with overseas firms.

Ford and Holden ONLY persisted because the Labor "Govt" was laundering taxpayers' money through Ford and Holden to pay for the greedy unions excessive demands.

But eventually this illegal laundering of taxpayers' money had to stop.

Total oversimplification. Yes the unions were a part, but also the diversity of cars in the market, outside costs etc.

The Unions were a big, big part of the problem. Labour costs are and were the biggest expense for all companies that eventually had to move off-shore. Our Labour Unions and greed made manufacturing here too expensive and our labour force priced itself out of the market. The jobs went off-shore. Ford and Holden manufacturing, owned by the 2 US auto companies Ford and General Motors, went to Asia, South America, and Mexico where labour is far cheaper, and some manufacturing even went back to the States where the cost of labour there is now less than it is here.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #59 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 9:41am

juliar wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 8:46am:
How many times have you been booked for speeding ?

A super fast car is of no use now with the extreme policing of just about every road and street.

The max speed is 110km/h which just about any car can do now.

20km over and you are walking. 40km over and you are crying.

Extra power is needed if you tow a boat or caravan or trailer.

Which is low revs torque, not high revs horsepower.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print