Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
V12 LS Engine - Made in Australia (Read 5764 times)
Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: V12 LS Engine - Made in Australia
Reply #30 - May 13th, 2019 at 11:48am

juliar wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 11:40am:
BH I feel a circle forming.

Concentrate on the topic.

It is a valid comparison to compare this hi power V12 with the Teslas which do have very fast acceleration for a short distance until the battery overheats.

Actually what capacity is this motor ? It is a HUGE 580 cubic inch (9.5L).

Maybe it is for large trucks or boats. But I think it is petrol so too expensive to run compared to diesel.

Bit OCD don't you think.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:01pm

Have no idea what OCD is.

The Formula 1 cars I think use V12 engines but with much smaller capacity and they are revvin' to heaven at up to 17000 RPM.

Bet the union parasites are sniffing around.

Another possible use is those MONSTER TRUCKS. Or possibly racing boats.

Being petrol is a severe limitation in the big heavy equipment market as these are almost universally diesel.

Another use could be for LNG buses and trucks.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #32 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:30pm

juliar wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 12:01pm:
Have no idea what OCD is.

The Formula 1 cars I think use V12 engines but with much smaller capacity and they are revvin' to heaven at up to 17000 RPM.

Bet the union parasites are sniffing around.

Another possible use is those MONSTER TRUCKS. Or possibly racing boats.

Being petrol is a severe limitation in the big heavy equipment market as these are almost universally diesel.

Another use could be for LNG buses and trucks.

Google is your friend. And no F1 car has used a V12 engine for over 25 years.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - May 13th, 2019 at 4:30pm

BH I believe you as I just had a vague recollection of v12s in Formula 1.

There is talk of ditching the V6 engines and going to 1000HP V12s because the fans miss the old man sized V12 roar.
Time will tell what happens.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - May 13th, 2019 at 4:47pm

There could be a market for these engines in monster trucks, I am looking for a new engine for my Land Cruiser.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:13pm

One of these petrol guzzling 600HP monsters would twist the tail shafts off.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #36 - May 16th, 2019 at 12:31pm

Johnnie wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 5:37pm:
Sir lastnail wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 5:05pm:
Johnnie wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:05pm:
Laugh till you cry wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:02pm:
Johnnie wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:00pm:
Laugh till you cry wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 3:55pm:
Ajax wrote on May 11th, 2019 at 8:18am:
Both the Ford & Holden design centres are still operating here in Australia.

Says something about both those teams....... Cool

Both produced their finest cars (world class) in the last models imo and then they shut shop and ran..... Huh

https://i.ibb.co/CWQpXL6/GTSHSV.jpg

Australia was not a leader in automotive technology or automotive manufacturing. Australia was a follower in both aspects.

Followers don't succeed unless they can do it for a lower price.

BS.

Bloody Sensational? Please don't thank me.

Not at all.
Which HSV didn't you like?
The Yanks were snapping them up for cop cars.

So what happened ? Couldn't sell enough of them to be profitable ?

The traitors were caught up in having BMWs kias and alike which are on the scrap heap in 5yrs and now we have no automotive industry and no good cars to buy unless you buy top end, even those are worthless second hand.

Never had any problem getting good trade ins for BMWs I've owned. Never had one break down either - let alone be "on the scrap heap".

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #37 - May 16th, 2019 at 12:36pm

juliar wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 4:30pm:
BH I believe you as I just had a vague recollection of v12s in Formula 1.

There is talk of ditching the V6 engines and going to 1000HP V12s because the fans miss the old man sized V12 roar.
Time will tell what happens.

It won't happen. The engines arent the big issue in F1 at the moment.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #38 - May 16th, 2019 at 12:37pm

juliar wrote on May 10th, 2019 at 2:36pm:
Total rubbish from a Lefty of course.

The excessive union demands simply made Ford and Holden and Toyota unprofitable here in Australia.

Australia's small population meant Ford and Holden and Toyota had to export and there they never stood a chance competing with overseas firms.

Ford and GMs simply had no idea what to do with their AU operations, because their senior management doesn't have a clue about anything but US monster trucks.

Every single foreign company Ford or GM has touched they have completely stuffed and had to sell off. Ford even managed to stuff up Mazda - I mean, if they couldn't make a Japanese car maker work, they have no hope.

Toyota was collateral damage - they could have kept making cars here, but the GM/Ford pullout left them with costs that were too high to sustain from local parts suppliers, so they pulled out.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #39 - May 16th, 2019 at 12:40pm

Stig wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 12:37pm:

The excessive union demands simply made Ford and Holden and Toyota unprofitable here in Australia.

Australia's small population meant Ford and Holden and Toyota had to export and there they never stood a chance competing with overseas firms.

Ford and GMs simply had no idea what to do with their AU operations, because their senior management doesn't have a clue about anything but US monster trucks.

Every single foreign company Ford or GM has touched they have completely stuffed and had to sell off. Ford even managed to stuff up Mazda - I mean, if they couldn't make a Japanese car maker work, they have no hope.

Toyota was collateral damage - they could have kept making cars here, but the GM/Ford pullout left them with costs that were too high to sustain from local parts suppliers, so they pulled out.

So many reasons all contributing to the demise.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #40 - May 16th, 2019 at 1:18pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 12:40pm:
Stig wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 12:37pm:

So many reasons all contributing to the demise.

Addiction to OPM was the main cause. When OPM financial life support was pulled the automobile scam scheme collapsed.

Australian manufacturers had a huge benefit in that ships bringing goods to Australia were returning to their country of origin empty, which meant that shipping costs for Australian manufacturers were very low compared to what foreign exporters were paying for shipping to Australia.

There was nothing exceptional about Australian made engines or cars.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - May 16th, 2019 at 1:20pm

Another Greeny leaning hexspurt solves everything with a wave of the Greeny arms.

All the hexspurts miss the really big factors stopping manufacturing of cars here.

They compare Australia to overseas countries and make nonsense comparisons.

Our small population means there is only a small market here which cannot support the necessary economies of scale of production and so export is necessary to achieve the benefits of volume of production.

Cost of production here is sent through the stratosphere by the pressure of the blood sucking union parasites which makes the products made here TOO EXPENSIVE compared to the cheaper imported cars and also too expensive to export as they cannot compete with cars made in those overseas countries.

The crunch really came when the TARIFF BARRIERS were removed by Senator Button as this allowed Australians to buy CHEAPER imported cars for the first time. Suddenly Australia was swamped by European Fords and Holdens like BMW and Mercedes.

Now the increasing of the cost of power caused by the introduction of dodgy renewables is a further pressure to push manufacturing out of Australia.

There is always the Greeny type arm waving argument floated that Ford and Holden weren't making cars that people wanted.

Now the Labor Govt was laundering taxpayer money through Ford and Holden to pay for the ridiculous blood sucking union parasites demands.

Of course Ford and Holden realized this and simply went onto standby mode and not introducing any new models because they knew the end was coming and so they just tinkered with the existing models until the final curtain came down.

This allowed Ford and Holden to exit Australia and avoid the huge cost of new manufacturing equipment.

Now you all know.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #42 - May 16th, 2019 at 1:47pm

The subsidy to car manufacturers per worker were crazy. GMH got $50,000 per worker and Toyota got $ 29,000 per worker.

It was not sustainable. Of course, the unions would seduce the goose to lay bigger golden eggs. It's human nature.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/our-subsidies-holdens-high-wages/...

Quote:
... TAXPAYERS are covering about $2500 of the cost of each Australian-made car with subsidies equivalent to as much as $50,000 for every employee directly involved in their manufacture. Subsidies to the industry have averaged about $550 million a year for the past six years, not including the benefit of tariffs and the luxury car tax, according to the Productivity Commission.

So what exactly are taxpayers subsidising?
Holden and Toyota both say their manufacturing costs are about $3750 per car higher in Australia than in other markets... Manufacturing costs added $2000, mainly as a result of labour costs, which it said were double the cost per vehicle compared with European manufacturers, and four times the cost of Asia. Holden, which has about 2000 staff directly involved in manufacturing at its Elizabeth plant in South Australia and its engine plant in Port Melbourne, received $96m in subsidies last year, or just under $50,000 per employee.Toyota, with 2500 manufacturing employees, received $72m in government grants, or $29,000 per employee.  ...

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #43 - May 16th, 2019 at 2:19pm

juliar wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 1:20pm:
There is always the Greeny type arm waving argument floated that Ford and Holden weren't making cars that people wanted.

They weren't though the market changed from big cars to SUVs. They both tried to respond, but whilst the Territory was a agreat car, the Adventra was not. That suited big families, but also couples were starting to buy small SUVs. Couple that with the increase in utes.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #44 - May 16th, 2019 at 8:10pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 2:19pm:
juliar wrote on May 16th, 2019 at 1:20pm:

They weren't though the market changed from big cars to SUVs. They both tried to respond, but whilst the Territory was a agreat car, the Adventra was not. That suited big families, but also couples were starting to buy small SUVs. Couple that with the increase in utes.

And who can forget when Ford, in the middle of steeply rising fuel prices, blew a significant chunk of the development budget for the Territory on a turbo Barra version rather than the diesel that everyone was crying out for (and which they eventually got, years too late)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print