Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
'Quite frightening' the far right and the election (Read 5956 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

'Quite frightening' the far right and the election
May 5th, 2019 at 12:26pm

'Quite frightening': the far-right fringe of the election campaign is mobilising

Extremist groups are presenting themselves as legitimate entities in a way that threatens to reshape Australian politics

In Queensland’s Lockyer Valley, a militant white supremacist group, whose members and supporters have been linked to far-right terrorism, has launched its first foray into politics.

Under a park enclosure at Gatton, wearing T-shirts with the “True Blue Crew” insignia, group members handed out soft drinks and cooked sausages, with the stated aim of helping like-minded federal election candidates work together.

They hired a face painter for the children.

Following the Christchurch shooting, the True Blue Crew was booted from Facebook for incendiary posts about Islam. Experts who have studied the group say it appears to be “committed to violence”. Members have been arrested with weapons, and on terrorism-related charges.

On the feverish fringe of the federal election campaign, an increasing number of groups such as the TBC are presenting themselves as legitimate entities, swapping street thuggery for community outreach in a way that has already reshaped far-right politics.

“There are two real camps of rightwing extremists,” says Geoff Dean, a terrorism expert and adjunct professor at Griffith University. “Those of the old style that do believe in violence and those of the new style, the new radical right, who want to gain political legitimacy to ... change laws to support their agenda.

“There’s almost a truce at the moment between the two camps. Some of the old-style are going along trying to present a softer image because they realise that if they do get political power, they can make changes. They feel like they’ve got the best chance in this election of getting somewhere.”

Far-right musical chairs

There are more than a dozen rightwing and far-right parties running tickets at the federal election, including several whose platforms are primarily anti-Islamic or ethno-nationalist.

Ballot papers reveal a game of far-right musical chairs, as former candidates and MPs switch allegiances between One Nation, the United Australia party, the Australian Conservatives, Katter’s Australian party, the Great Australian party, the Rise Up Australia party, the Love Australia or Leave party and Fraser Anning’s new Conservative National party.

Anning’s party in particular has preselected more than a dozen people who were former running mates of Pauline Hanson and Clive Palmer.

The White Rose Society, researchers, and the ABC have detailed the white supremacist links of some of Anning’s closest advisers. His entourage has included convicted criminals and extremists such as Neil Erikson, who was one of the heavies who tackled and choked a teenager who egged the senator.

Such connections have mired mainstream candidates in controversy.

Guardian Australia reported on Friday that Erikson attended a Gold Coast “recruitment event” for the Liberal National party last year.

The West Australian Liberal MP Andrew Hastie has denied he met Erikson at a rally in Perth, contradicting his college Ian Goodenough, who earlier claimed a “brief meeting” had taken place.

The Victorian premier, Daniel Andrews, on Wednesday aired claims in state parliament that Erikson had been engaged to “interfere with the Victorian election”.

When Anning’s party emailed potential election candidates, they were warned to disclose things such as “inflammatory social media comments” that might become an issue.

But in practice, the party appears intent to incite controversy. Leaked messages, obtained by the ABC, showed plans for confrontational racist stunts, including wearing blackface and burning the Qur’an.

On social media, one candidate repeatedly evokes the Holocaust and in one post says: “kill the traitorous left before killing our other enemies”.

Infiltration attempts

On Easter Saturday, in a small room at the Club Burwood RSL, the Liberal Democrats’ NSW branch held a members’ “meet and greet”. The guest speaker was Dia Beltran, a YouTuber who regularly offers a platform to far-right figures Blair Cottrell, Neil Erikson and Anning.

Beltran was introduced as a “moderate conservative” but her speech to the Liberal Democratic party faithful veered into the conspiracy of “cultural Marxism”, a supposed coordinated plot to undermine traditional western values, but which cloaks oppressive ideology as a defence of freedom.

Beltran, who finished by urging the crowd of classical liberals to “stand up and fight for your culture”, was received with warm applause.

Kristy Campion, an expert on far-right extremism and lecturer in terrorism studies at Charles Sturt University, said the far right had a long history of “entryism”, attempting to subvert mainstream politics.

“These groups are quite adaptive. The most long-running racist group in Australia, the Australian League of Rights, said they were going to execute strategies to infiltrate political parties and replace their core values with (their own),” Campion said.

“It’s not dissimilar to what we saw the Lads Society do last year, attempting branch stacking within the National party.

(cont)

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 'Quite frightening' the far right and the election
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2019 at 12:27pm

“These groups are very good at framing their messaging in such a way that it will gain popular appeal. It’s not always blatantly racist. People subscribe to ideas that are quite mainstream ... but what they don’t realise is behind that is an authoritarian, exclusionary ideology that might not really represent their values.

“Fundamentally their ideology is anti-democratic.”

Dean says the far right in Australia has typically been reactionary and attracted “nutters”.

“They’re very good at being opportunistic and capturing marketing phrases echoing Trump,” Dean says.

“But there is no political agenda or long-term thinking. Their solution always comes down to oppression, to picking on the other person, to having no regard to anybody who doesn’t believe what they believe.

“To talk about this as being about democracy and liberty – it’s just a joke. That’s what’s so sad. People do not think beyond their noses. When you unpack it all, it’s really quite frightening what is happening.”

Hitting a nerve

The organiser of the True Blue Crew event at Gatton, former One Nation party official Jim Savage, has privately claimed to be an inspiration behind Fraser Anning’s “final solution” speech, advising the new senator to “just hit the smacking nerve”.

Last week a True Blue Crew member was charged with assaulting a photographer after an Anning press conference. Plain clothes police were among the crowd.

On his own Facebook page, Savage outlines the True Blue Crew’s political aims:

“TBC is NOT a political group nor lobbyists,” Savage writes. “We brought together a large number of people from several different political parties (all conservative of course) to highlite (sic) the fact we are all in the same boat fighting the same enemy.”

Clem Wheatley, from the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers party, is thankful for the support: “Thanks to the True Blue Crew, what a great bunch of people.”

Meanwhile Anning, elected with 19 primary votes, continues to aim for the nerve. With each statement and stunt that offends the mainstream, he seems to further embolden the support of a new breed of young, far-right extremist.

“It’s surprised us all the amount of young people ... who have joined the party,” Anning told the True Blue Crew members in Gatton.

“I always thought we’d appeal to people from 45 to dead, but as it happens we’ve got all these young people who have put their hand up.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/04/quite-frightening-the-far...

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2019 at 12:36pm

I see all the classic emotional words there - but not much meat....

'presenting themselves as legitimate entities' - well - what else can they be to themselves?  Are they not entitled to a voice?

" linked to far-right terrorism" - linked in what ways?

"incendiary posts about Islam." - any examples for review?

"appears to be “committed to violence” - 'appears'?

"Members have been arrested with weapons, and on terrorism-related charges."
- could we see a list?

"feverish fringe"
- pure hyperbole ...

"swapping street thuggery for community outreach" - where have they been convicted of 'street thuggery'?

As I said - the Usual Suspect hyperbole and hysterical reporting of generalisations with no specific content.... it's normally called 'propaganda'....

I say let every rat-bag out there make their utterances known, so they can be firstly judged by the ordinary people - and secondly, placed on a list for review and oversight...  it's no good having extremists bent on violence hiding behind a wall or a burka or mosque of silence.. far easier to spot them if they think they can come out in public and give us a load of their vitriol...

Would you rather your mass bomber of tomorrow never be seen in public uttering ideology...... or would you prefer them out in the open and easy to round up?

Softly, softly - catchee Tiger .....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2019 at 12:56pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 12:36pm:
Would you rather your mass bomber of tomorrow never be seen in public uttering ideology...... or would you prefer them out in the open and easy to round up?

I don't personally want to 'round up' anyone, alarming.

But to answer your question. I would prefer to know about it so i can avoid in any way preferencing these dangerous people.

You of course would probably like to know about them so you can vote for them

I'm merely providing a community service.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2019 at 1:56pm by mothra »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2019 at 1:13pm

Meh

w1200_h678_fcrop.jpg (75 KB | 24 )
w1200_h678_fcrop.jpg

IBI

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2019 at 1:53pm

mothra wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 12:56pm:

But to answer your question. I would prefer to know about it so i can avoid in any way referencing these dangerous people.

You were doing well until you inserted that silliness.... do I have to guide you every step of the way?

By all means 'reference' them - the more extremists on the lists the better it is for all... the roundup will wait until Night and Fog decree comes into play .....
the 3 am knock on the door, the clutching of the suitcase ready packed ... the jostling onto the cattle cars in the falling snow and sleet... dogs and guards barking ...... cries of Raus! Macht Schnell!! The children separated from adults..the wives from husbands... gay partner from partner... (the horror... the horror).... WHO will be included.....and who left free???

Subtle are the ways of The Light Side... come over to that Side, Luke.... there is much to be learned.... truly are the ways of The Dark Side entrenched in this one... but I see hope... there is Light at the end of the Karnal....

Lucem in tenebris occulto ....
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2019 at 1:58pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:00pm

People like Mothra just don't understand. When you alter the entire racial make up and culture of a country there's always going to be resistance  to it. There isn't one country on earth who would take that lying down. Most countries would take it a lot worse than Australia has. NEWSFLASH- this was never going to go down easy and it's going to get a lot worse because people are waking up to it. Don't whinge because our leaders past and present conducted a very controversial policy without asking the people and now it's crumbling. They should have did the right thing in the first place.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:03pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 2:00pm:
People like Mothra just don't understand. When you alter the entire racial make up and culture of a country there's always going to be resistance  to it. There isn't one country on earth who would take that lying down. Most countries would take it a lot worse than Australia has. NEWSFLASH- this was never going to go down easy and it's going to get a lot worse because people are waking up to it. Don't whinge because our leaders past and present conducted a very controversial policy without asking the people and now it's crumbling. They should have did the right thing in the first place.

It was Inevitable™, then?

― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:03pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 1:53pm:

But to answer your question. I would prefer to know about it so i can avoid in any way referencing these dangerous people.

You were doing well until you inserted that silliness.... do I have to guide you every step of the way?

By all means 'reference' them - the more extremists on the lists the better it is for all... the roundup will wait until Night and Fog decree comes into play .....
the 3 am knock on the door, the clutching of the suitcase ready packed ... the jostling onto the cattle cars in the falling snow and sleet... dogs and guards barking ...... cries of Raus! Macht Schnell!! The children separated from adults..the wives from husbands... gay partner from partner... (the horror... the horror).... WHO will be included.....and who left free???

Subtle are the ways of The Light Side... come over to that Side, Luke.... there is much to be learned.... truly are the ways of The Dark Side entrenched in this one... but I see hope... there is Light at the end of the Karnal....

That was meant to be 'preferencing', not 'referencing'. I have corrected it.

And you're miles from subtle. You're overtly socially extreme right wing. And quite proud of it.

Aside from all that ... i'm not going to be "subtle" with right wing extremists. We weren't "subtle" in the Second World War when we first internationally prosecuted such ideology. We must not be "subtle" now.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:06pm

It's cute how you think you're enigmatic.

I quite understand why you loonies think the way you do. I just think much of it could be cured by B vitamins.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:11pm

mothra wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 2:03pm:

the 3 am knock on the door, the clutching of the suitcase ready packed ... the jostling onto the cattle cars in the falling snow and sleet... dogs and guards barking ...... cries of Raus! Macht Schnell!! The children separated from adults..the wives from husbands... gay partner from partner... (the horror... the horror).... WHO will be included.....and who left free???.

And you're miles from subtle. You're overtly socially extreme right wing. And quite proud of it.

Aside from all that ... i'm not going to be "subtle" with right wing extremists. We weren't "subtle" in the Second World War when we first internationally prosecuted such ideology. We must not be "subtle" now.

There you go again - amazing presumption and prejudice and discrimination, all in one... truly The Dark Side is deep in this one.....the ways of the Light Side are so subtle they escape you...

You are a Stalinist extremist.. should there be a place reserved on the cattle cars for you, when your kind take over the reins of government fully?  Tovarich, you are knowing how is working.. board the car for the Gulag...
the 3 am knock on the door, the clutching of the suitcase ready packed ... the jostling onto the cattle cars in the falling snow and sleet... dogs and guards barking ...... cries of Toropit'sya, Tovarich!! The children separated from adults..the wives from husbands... gay partner from partner... (the horror... the horror).... WHO will be included.....and who left free??? ...the more extreme enemies of the state packed off in black cars to the Lubyanka, from which their screams are never heard outside the walls........ before they sign 'confessions' and are tried and shot ....

You see, at the end of the day there is ZERO difference between right wing extremists and left wing extremists..... choose your middle ground now.... before The Great War of Liberation begins...

You are aware that around half the victims of the Khmer Rouge genocide were Party adherents who 'strayed' or 'failed' at their duty to the Party etc?  Was that 'right wing extremism' or 'left wing extremism'?  The Stalinist polices you so adore without understanding killed millions...
the 3 am knock on the door .......................

― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:20pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 2:11pm:
mothra wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 2:03pm:

There you go again - amazing presumption and prejudice and discrimination, all in one... truly The Dark Side is deep in this one.....the ways of the Light Side are so subtle they escape you...

You are a Stalinist extremist.. should there be a place reserved on the cattle cars for you, when your kind take over the reins of government fully?  Tovarich, you are knowing how is working.. board the car for the Gulag...
the 3 am knock on the door, the clutching of the suitcase ready packed ... the jostling onto the cattle cars in the falling snow and sleet... dogs and guards barking ...... cries of Toropit'sya, Tovarich!! The children separated from adults..the wives from husbands... gay partner from partner... (the horror... the horror).... WHO will be included.....and who left free???

You see, at the end of the day there is ZERO difference between right wing extremists and left wing extremists..... choose your middle ground now.... before The Great War of Liberation begins...

You are aware that around half the victims of the Khmer Rouge genocide were Party adherents who 'strayed' or 'failed' at their duty to the Party etc?  Was that 'right wing extremism' or 'left wing extremism'?  The Stalinist polices you so adore without understanding killed millions...
the 3 am knock on the door .......................

None of that describes me remotely or anything i have ever even hinted at.

I believe in equality for all on all things. I believe in freedom of speech and of religion. I believe in the democratic process and the rights of the individual.

You, however,truly believe prejudice against anyone who is not a white, heterosexual male simply doesn't exist. Or if it does, it is rare as hen's teeth. You would diminish, ridicule and even suppress all other groups with absolute impunity. Any criticism of you and your racist, bigoted, sexist views is relegated to extremism and/or farce.

You want representation of the majority yet you refuse to accept that heterosexual, white men are not actually the majority at all. You simply refuse to consider the world through any lens other than your own.

You use the vilest, most offensive terminology to refer to people other than yourself and get offended by their offense to it, infringing on your right to say what whatever you like as it does. Then, just to make sure you're also a hypocrite, you lose your goddamn mind over a Gillette ad.

Then claim you are being "vilified" by my saying their were greater minds than your.

You are, by definition, socially extreme right wing.

And you're an absolute joke.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:24pm

mothra wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 2:06pm:

It's cute how you think you're enigmatic.

I quite understand why you loonies think the way you do. I just think much of it could be cured by B vitamins.

I'm not a loonie love. I'm a realist. I'm sitting here watching it all evolve. Australia is more prosperous than ever but very fractured socially. You can walk around with your head firmly planted in your ass but one day even you will have to pull it out and look around. And don't whinge if you don't like what you see. Nobody cares.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:24pm

You are aware that labeling anyone who seeks discussion and fair play and a fair hearing for all, as you do,  as 'extreme right wing', clearly places you in the extreme left position?

Are not your kind of useful fools more dangerous than a few loud-mouths? Especially given the number of useful fools doing the rounds under our propaganda (oops) education system?  the ones who respond like Pavlov's dogs to 'trigger' words and phrases...... 'patriarchy', 'oppression', 'rights', 'Right Wing', 'global warming', 'equity' ..... one mention of these and other words and the neural pathways instantly lock into place and over-ride the tongue's (as controlled by the real mind) natural disposition to speak simple and truly egalitarian speech...

Did you ever watch that film Conspiracy Theory?  Assassins programed to operate at a 'trigger' word... can you see any difference with your kind ... the leftist extremists who will countenance no other view than their own, and are 'triggered' by simple words and phrases, and thus become emotional and verbal assassins in an instant??   Cool

Products of our education system.... and they know every pat phrase....

Must I lead you every step of the way?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 5th, 2019 at 2:27pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 2:24pm:
You are aware that labeling anyone who seeks discussion and fair play and a fair hearing for all, as you do,  as 'extreme right wing', clearly places you in the extreme left position?

Are not your kind of useful fools more dangerous than a few loud-mouths? Especially given the number of useful fools doing the rounds under our propaganda (oops) education system?  the ones who respond like Pavlov's dogs to 'trigger' words and phrases...... 'patriarchy', 'oppression', 'rights', 'Right Wing', 'global warming', 'equity' ..... one mention of these and other words and the neural pathways instantly lock into place and over-ride the tongue's (as controlled by the real mind) natural disposition to speak simple and truly egalitarian speech...

Did you ever watch that film Conspiracy Theory?  Assassins programed to operate at a 'trigger' word... can you see any difference with your kind ... the leftist extremists who will countenance no other view than their own, and are 'triggered' by simple words and phrases, and thus become emotional and verbal assassins in an instant??   Cool

Products of our education system.... and they know every pat phrase....

Must I lead you every step of the way?

They are robots Grappler. And totally unaware of it. Programmed by other people .

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print