Yay Uber you ripper! (Read 3421 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Yay Uber you ripper!
Reply #45 - May 5th, 2019 at 6:44pm

John Smith wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:40pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:15pm:
Again I have to ask, if it's illegal, how are they still operating?

the authorities have decided that they can't stop it so they won't bother. 

People like aussie paid up to $250 000 for a taxi plates (that was the going rate in Wollongong about 20 years ago), then more annual fee's to maintain them, plus hefty insurance costs. Their charges reflect that. They have to recoup costs. Uber drivers on the other hand have zero start up costs (or almost zero), a fraction of the ongoing costs and most aren't insured for commercial use.

Aussies plates are now almost worthless. He's never going to get his $250 000 each back.

Yes, and that sucks big time.

However, it's not my fault or the fault of my Uber drivers.

As I've said several times before, I sympathise with taxi drivers.

It's a poo industry.  Always has been.

Stupidly high fees, and ridiculously long hours for very little pay.

However, I refuse to pay twice the price for half the service.

I'm not a mug.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - May 5th, 2019 at 6:48pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:44pm:

don't look at me .... I'll be lucky to have caught 3 taxi's in the last ten years, and I've never used Uber.

I have a permanent designated driver as my wife is a teetotaller Wink

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #47 - May 5th, 2019 at 6:50pm

cods wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:14pm:
Redmond Neck wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 11:12am:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 4th, 2019 at 2:39pm:
cods wrote on May 4th, 2019 at 1:41pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 4th, 2019 at 12:35pm:
cods wrote on May 4th, 2019 at 11:24am:
Gordon wrote on May 3rd, 2019 at 8:56pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 3rd, 2019 at 8:47pm:
Generally speaking, taxis are dirty & smelly, and the drivers are arrogant and grumpy.

Not always, but generally speaking.

100% of the times that I've been in an Uber, they've been clean & air-conditioned, and the drivers have been friendly and polite.

Moreover, the Uber fares are always at least 50% less than that of a taxi.

I have sympathy for struggling taxi drivers, however, the taxi companies have been screwing us punters for too long.

It's about time we got something going our way.

The taxi industry had ages to lift their game after Uber arrived but thought they were arrogant and thought things would never change.

The booking system for companies like 1300cabs is now better but it's still a 50/50 change you'll get a sewer on wheels.

Uber are 100% perfect every time. No 2GB or Indian music blaring at you and you get interesting and polite drivers.

My mum reckons most of them even help her in with the shopping.

I am not a taxi user... so cannot talk about service..

what I am talking about is.. the unfairness that someone who has bought a business... and thats what a taxi licence is.. a business.

which until UBER   it was required by govt made laws....to have one.......

same as a liquor licence..

imagine someone setting up a stall selling grog at lower prices because they dont have to buy a liquor licence????...

these people in good faith.. bought this business maybe for their retirement  ... and suddenly its worthless....

because of convenient rule changes...

I would be devastated to be honest and I doubt anyone of you  would shrug and walk away.....if you had paid a fortune  either.... Angry Angry

a lot of decent people are affected by this......

as fair go aussies   you should be behind these owner drivers   

I dont care what country they come from..they need our support...

I'd be behind the taxi owner drivers more if it wasn't for the fact that they've been ripping me off and giving me poor service for the last 35 years or so.

I don't want to see anyone lose their jobs, however, I'm not going to continue to pay outrageously inflated prices for an inferior service either.

That's just madness.

Uber gives me faster, more reliable, friendlier, cleaner, and a much cheaper service - I'd be crazy to go back to taxis.

If you had the choice between a dirty restaurant with rude waiters, seats smelling of cigarette smoke, second rate food, and a bill of $50 or, a clean, air-conditioned restaurant with friendly waiters, clean tables & chairs, fresh & tasty food, and a final bill of only $25, which would you choose?

like I pointed out greg   I havent used a taxi or uber in years.....so I cant say anything about service   and to tar all taxi owners with the same brush  is the same as calling all Muslims terrorists....

it isnt the right thing to do.. Angry

Please read my previous post, cods:

"Generally speaking, taxis are dirty & smelly, and the drivers are arrogant and grumpy.

"Not always, but generally speaking."

Thats a lot of BS, I use cabs fairly often and they are always clean and not smelly.

Aussie baiting I suspect!

Angry

Worth a mention as well is the

$5000/year paid by taxis to the government here in the ACT  to operate

vs $100/year paid by the Uber operators

I didnt know that?>.

how does YOUR labor govt justify that red?

It is OUR government cods !

Or have you moved?  Wink

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - May 5th, 2019 at 6:51pm

Quote:

Here, they put up token resistance but Uber rode into Town with huge bucks and therefore big guns.  They openly defied Government (that is what they did everywhere) with the depth of their pockets lined with Saudi money.  Government caved.  Okay...they can pay 'me' for their failure to keep to the bargain we had.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - May 5th, 2019 at 6:53pm

John Smith wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:48pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:44pm:

don't look at me .... I'll be lucky to have caught 3 taxi's in the last ten years, and I've never used Uber.

I have a permanent designated driver as my wife is a teetotaller Wink

That's the thing - I use them all the time.

If it was just once a year, to go the airport for an OS trip or something, it wouldn't bother me so much.

However, I use taxis/Ubers all the time.

This weekend I've used 5 Ubers, and the total cost was about $64 (2 long trips, and 3 short ones).

If I had used taxis instead, it would have cost me $130.

As our American friends would say, you do the math.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - May 5th, 2019 at 6:57pm

Aussie wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:51pm:
Quote:

Here, they put up token resistance but Uber rode into Town with huge bucks and therefore big guns.  They openly defied Government (that is what they did everywhere) with the depth of their pockets lined with Saudi money.  Government caved.  Okay...they can pay 'me' for their failure to keep to the bargain we had.

yeah ... for a while there it was the same with Air Bnb and the hotel industry.

But the hotel industry must have deeper pockets then the taxi industry as local councils have been strengthening restrictions in Air Bnb, at least on the GC. If you want to rent your gold coast property on Air Bnb now, you have to pay $10k a year council license fee, same as a hotel.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #51 - May 5th, 2019 at 7:03pm

John Smith wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:57pm:
Quote:

But the hotel industry must have deeper pockets then the taxi industry as local councils have been strengthening restrictions in Air Bnb, at least on the GC. If you want to rent your gold coast property on Air Bnb now, you have to pay $10k a year council license fee, same as a hotel.

Good move !  Wink

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #52 - May 5th, 2019 at 7:25pm

Quote:

Well done, GC Council.

That is all the Qld Government had to do with Uber.  Tell them they are quite welcome to use their long pockets to buy a Licence anyone wanted to sell....or tender when Govt decided to release another Licence.

Get it Mr Peccerry? It was a GOVERNMENT created monopoly and that is exactly why I bought in.  My Cabs, my drivers were always spotless and we met every requirement Government imposed on us.  Government and I had a deal.  The government broke the deal.  Fine, pay me for your failure to keep to the deal and we move on.

To address a point you make about how you love Uber so much because it costs you less and the Car/Driver meets your expectations whatever they are.....

Traditionally, Cabs never catered for blokes like you.  We were too busy getting Grandma with her walker to and back from the supermarket or taking a wheelchair person to where they wanted to go.

Those Grannies don't use mobile phone apps so they have no idea how to get an Uber.  Uber does not offer a service to those dependant on wheel chairs.  If we disappear, do you reckon your favourite Uber driver is gonna take Grannies grocery shopping bags up a flight of stairs to her Housing Commission Unit for a $5.00 fare for a journey of less than 200 metres.  If we disappear, who is gonna take that on that wheel chair person?  Not Uber.  All it wants is the cream and to surge its price which we do not do. They gouge, we don't.  We pay our way, they don't.  Still...numpties use them to exploit the Uber driver and not pay a fair price.  What they do pay, Uber pays no tax on here in Australia.  Great stuff Greg.

Mate, you have no idea what the Cab Industry services which Uber will never go anywhere near.

To use a term you'd be familiar with...Uber and its drivers etc are...scabs.
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2019 at 7:36pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - May 5th, 2019 at 7:40pm

Aussie wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:39pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:34pm:
cods wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:32pm:
yes and its a LABOR/GREEN govt

so much for looking after their fellow working man...

As far as I know, Uber drivers are working men (and women) too.

Why would you deny them a perfectly legal income?

It is legal now Mr Peccerry but it was not when you were happily jumping into illegal Ubers when they arrived in WA.  The WA Government is well aware it has an issue.

Link.

I wasn't jumping into Ubers when they first arrived in WA.

Reply #25:

"I resisted using Uber for a very long time, as I thought the taxi industry might lift its game."

Moreover, the first time I ever used the Uber app was last Friday.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #54 - May 5th, 2019 at 7:50pm

How could 'we' lift our game given we were burdened by Government imposed regulation (which Uber was not?)

Why are you still supporting 'scabs?'

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - May 5th, 2019 at 7:57pm

Aussie wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 7:50pm:
How could 'we' lift our game ...

Don't charge me $6.50 just to sit in the cab.

Be polite.

Don't smoke in the cab when there are no passengers (it still stinks like poo when we eventually get in).

Don't play us for fools:

"Sorry guys, but my meter isn't working. It broke down this morning and there's nobody around on the weekends to fix it. So, we need to negotiate a price" (this has happened to me on too many occasions to remember. Usually at the airport).

Don't charge me $15 to go to my local pub, 1.5 km away.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - May 5th, 2019 at 8:39pm

Redmond Neck wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 7:03pm:
Quote:

Good move !  Wink

sort of. I'm undecided.

I understand why they did it. GC can have over 15 000 properties listed on  Air Bnb at any one time, many of them in residential areas not zoned for tourism.  And if you were using your property for air bnb prior to the introduction of this rule (2016) I understand that you are exempt so people who bought before for this purpose aren't negatively affected. But I don't see why i should have to pay $8k ( i checked, fee is just over $8k and not the $10k I originally claimed) if I have a spare room i wish to rent out occasionally?

The other side of that, i don't think those are the people council are targetting with this rule. It seems to be those buying the property in residential areas with intention of running it as a hotel.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #57 - May 5th, 2019 at 8:54pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 7:57pm:
[quote author=Aussie link=1556865472/54#54 date=1557049809]How could 'we' lift our game ...

Quote:
Don't charge me $6.50 just to sit in the cab.

Okay.....so you want to use the facility to get the Cab to your door for nothing?  Call Centres are run by Union members who are paid real wages negotiated by people like your Colleagues.  Do you expect them to work for nothing? 

Quote:
Be polite.

Sure, would you like fries with that?  Greg, we drive people from A to B day in day out, many times a day. Why do you expect June Dally-Watkins?

Quote:
Don't smoke in the cab when there are no passengers (it still stinks like poo when we eventually get in).

It is illegal for a Cab driver to smoke in a Cab...empty or not. No-one here will use a driver who smokes as that stench gets embedded in their uniform, so I will never have a smoker.

Quote:
Don't play us for fools:

"Sorry guys, but my meter isn't working. It broke down this morning and there's nobody around on the weekends to fix it. So, we need to negotiate a price" (this has happened to me on too many occasions to remember. Usually at the airport).

Don't charge me $15 to go to my local pub, 1.5 km away.

Don't be a fool then, Tell him to far cough, ring and get another.

Stop supporting scabs, Mr Peccerry.  Try Cabs for a month, but do not do so expecting that you'll be treated as special royalty.  Cheerily engage with the driver, and he will respond.

When you are next out at midnight wanting a Uber, see what they charge you then and try to justify as just a demand surge.  Does not happen with Cabs.

Stop using scabs, Mr Peccerry.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #58 - May 5th, 2019 at 9:26pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 5th, 2019 at 6:02pm:
However, I'd be a mug to pay twice the price for half the service.

That's assuming you can get the taxi service in the first place. There's a reason so many Sydney inner-westies use Uber for airport trips - cabs won't take the fare

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #59 - May 5th, 2019 at 9:37pm

Airbnb is still often a bargain in most American market's but there too the hotel lobby has gotten much of what they asked for. Still, with Airbnb, one can stay at unique properties as opposed to its opposite: a hotel.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print