Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mistreatment of Indigenous Australians by Police (Read 3998 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Mistreatment of Indigenous Australians by Police
May 2nd, 2019 at 7:46pm

Suspicious injuries, a dubious paper trail: Seeking justice for one Aboriginal man

This sort of thing should be stopped and the Police need to be brought to heel.   Angry

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Mistreatment of Indigenous Australians by Police
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2019 at 2:47pm

No. If this Country is to progress, then 'everyone' must be treated equally and that means not 'disempowering' Police DISCIPLINE just because of 'one' race. If everyone else 'cops' a beating from the Police, then so too should 'other Australians'.
Racial hatred against Police, mostly 'always' due to Substance Abuse, by the offender - rather than from the 'nature' of the Aboriginal people, should not be used as an excuse to disempower Police action that is 'necessary'.
Disempowering 'Physical' Punishment and Discipline by a bunch of 'White Collar Pencil Pushing Know it alls' - is just ...stupidity!  Angry

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2019 at 2:50pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 7:46pm:
Suspicious injuries, a dubious paper trail: Seeking justice for one Aboriginal man

This sort of thing should be stopped and the Police need to be brought to heel.   Angry

aquascoot tells us, in another thread, that this is just another example of the Territory police doing a marvelous job.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2019 at 2:53pm

Jasin wrote on May 3rd, 2019 at 2:47pm:
No. If this Country is to progress, then 'everyone' must be treated equally and that means not 'disempowering' Police DISCIPLINE just because of 'one' race. If everyone else 'cops' a beating from the Police, then so too should 'other Australians'.
Racial hatred against Police, mostly 'always' due to Substance Abuse, by the offender - rather than from the 'nature' of the Aboriginal people, should not be used as an excuse to disempower Police action that is 'necessary'.
Disempowering 'Physical' Punishment and Discipline by a bunch of 'White Collar Pencil Pushing Know it alls' - is just ...stupidity!  Angry

Translation: JaSin supports police brutality against Australian Aboriginals but deplores such brutality against British Aboriginals.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2019 at 3:03pm

"Mr. Cumaiyi’s experience adds another troubling facet: Medical records and other documentation obtained and verified by The New York Times suggest that not only was he a victim of police brutality, but also that health officials and the police covered up the causes and severity of his injuries, while the courts nodded without question."

"Police abuse of Aboriginal Australians, including failure to provide medical care, remains a persistent problem, with nearly 150 Indigenous people dying in custody in the last decade alone."

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2019 at 3:06pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on May 3rd, 2019 at 2:53pm:
Jasin wrote on May 3rd, 2019 at 2:47pm:

Translation: JaSin supports police brutality against Australian Aboriginals but deplores such brutality against British Aboriginals.

Not even close.
It's not 'brutality' - big difference.
When Prisoners 'fight' restraint - then the Police have every right to take 'any' action to suppress that action. Police would rather the Prisoner just 'toe the line'.

Now. THE MAJORITY of Aboriginals in custody 'do not' get aggressive and MANY Aboriginals see the Prisons as a way of getting away from the Grog n' Drugs. Prisons are like a 'Safety House'. You wouldn't believe it, but its true. They get good Medical care and respite. The majority of them are well behaved.
For when they go back 'out there' among, not just their own kind. They are better prepared to take on the the bad side-effects thrust upon them by many of their own people.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2019 at 3:42pm

The entire legal system is rife with racist bias ...

As I have posted in the past ... sentencing of Aboriginals is clearly biased against them:

Courts discriminate shockingly against Aboriginal people.

Offences that would gain a warning or a good behaviour bond for a non-Aboriginal often result in jail time for Aboriginals.

"Whites" get off with a warning far more often than "blacks".

That's a fact.

I'll just post the summary, the whole study is very interesting.

Summary

This paper reports the findings from statistical analyses comparing the probability of receiving a prison sentence by Indigenous status in the lower courts of South Australia and New South Wales over an 11 year period (1998 to 2008). The primary aim was to identify whether there was a relationship between Indigenous status and imprisonment after controlling for other factors known to impact sentencing decisions. It was found that:

For each year, adjusting for social background, past and present criminality and court processing factors reduced the initial baseline differences between Indigenous and non-Indigenous defendants in both jurisdictions (New South Wales and South Australia).

Overall, Indigenous defendants were more likely to receive a prison sentence, compared with non-Indigenous defendants in comparable circumstances in both jurisdictions (New South Wales and South Australia).

The pattern of disparity over time varied between the two jurisdictions of New South Wales and South Australia. In South Australia, in the period pre-2001, there was evidence of parity and even leniency. However, in more recent years, Indigenous offenders were more likely to receive a prison sentence. By contrast, Indigenous offenders had higher odds of imprisonment throughout the entire period in New South Wales.

So there is some support for the differential involvement hypothesis across the entire time period, but some negative disparity remains. More importantly, the analysis suggests that the gap in the decision to imprison in the lower courts between Indigenous and non-Indigenous offenders may well be increasing in both jurisdictions.

Figure 1 Independent effect of Indigenous status on the likelihood of an imprisonment order in adult lower courts (South Australia and New South Wales) by year

Note: Odds ratios reported. The adjusted odds ratios are estimated from a logistic regression model that controls for sex, age at disposition, prior history, offence seriousness, presence of multiple conviction counts, guilty plea and not released on bail.
The dashed red line represents equal odds, or parity. Odds ratios below this line indicate increasing leniency in favour of Indigenous offenders; odds ratios above this line indicate increasing harshness toward Indigenous offenders

www.aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/tandi/441-460/tandi447.html

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2019 at 3:56pm

well no, thats nonsense, the Justice system is actually more lenient with Aboriginals. The fact that they are more likely to go to jail is simply because they are much more likely to be recidivists.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2019 at 10:11pm

Take a look at the material referenced in my previous post to see that your comment is the polar opposite of what really goes on.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 4th, 2019 at 10:02pm

WESTERN law is the only hope for justice ....

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - May 4th, 2019 at 10:51pm

Considering that Western Law (which hammers everyone else) seems to be compromised by ...Aboriginal Law, in most cases.
I fail to see the 'hard line' against Aboriginals. Huh

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #11 - May 4th, 2019 at 11:47pm

Frank wrote on May 4th, 2019 at 10:02pm:

WESTERN law is the only hope for justice ....

Yes, the Police need to be charged and taken to court and tried, Soren.   I am glad you agree with me for a change.   Their continued mistreatment of Indigenous Australians is despicable.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #12 - May 22nd, 2019 at 4:44am

I don't know if you know, Brian. But there is an understanding by police that they go easy on people of indigenous ethnicity, unless the indigenous perpetrators of crimes commit such violent acts that the police have no choice but to intervene.
Needing to be removed from a plane by police? Allegations that the person was hit on the head by a metal torch? Seems to be more to this story than I would imagine.

I have been punched by a female police officer. I really deserved it. The make up sex was amazing, though.

But, if an aboriginal man gets forcibly removed from a plane and hit with a torch, I would be certain that he crossed the line from which his aboriginal privilege could not protect.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2019 at 3:45pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 4:44am:

I don't know if you know, Brian. But there is an understanding by police that they go easy on people of indigenous ethnicity, unless the indigenous perpetrators of crimes commit such violent acts that the police have no choice but to intervene.
Needing to be removed from a plane by police? Allegations that the person was hit on the head by a metal torch? Seems to be more to this story than I would imagine.

I have been punched by a female police officer. I really deserved it. The make up sex was amazing, though.

But, if an aboriginal man gets forcibly removed from a plane and hit with a torch, I would be certain that he crossed the line from which his aboriginal privilege could not protect.

Indigenous Australians are not accorded any privileges it seems except in your imagination.

Indigenous Australians are regularly abused by Police only occasionally do stories make it to the MSM.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2019 at 5:15pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 3:45pm:
Indigenous Australians are not accorded any privileges it seems except in your imagination.

Indigenous Australians are regularly abused by Police only occasionally do stories make it to the MSM.   Roll Eyes

I think aboriginal privileges in terms of extra benefits have been scaled back to match that of the rest of Australians since the year 2013, at the latest. Aboriginal funding for arts and culture is still going (and I am happy with that). But, societally, aboriginal people are treated (perhaps condescendingly) as untouchable... unless they commit a severe crime (assaults, rapes, robberies, murder, etc).

I regularly listen to the police radio. And I am part of a facebook crime watch group for my region of Rockhampton and surrounds. We are constantly fed information that indigenous youths are out causing mayhem. Smashed storefronts, trees set alight, break and enters, abusing other pedestrians and motorists, etc. These are all caught on camera or in photographs. They don't even rate a mention in the news unless there is a serious concern. One example was when a man was convicted of murdering his toddler son.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print