Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mistreatment of Indigenous Australians by Police (Read 4002 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Mistreatment of Indigenous Australians by Police
Reply #15 - May 22nd, 2019 at 11:02pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 5:15pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 3:45pm:
Indigenous Australians are not accorded any privileges it seems except in your imagination.

Indigenous Australians are regularly abused by Police only occasionally do stories make it to the MSM.   Roll Eyes

I think aboriginal privileges in terms of extra benefits have been scaled back to match that of the rest of Australians since the year 2013, at the latest. Aboriginal funding for arts and culture is still going (and I am happy with that). But, societally, aboriginal people are treated (perhaps condescendingly) as untouchable... unless they commit a severe crime (assaults, rapes, robberies, murder, etc).

I regularly listen to the police radio. And I am part of a facebook crime watch group for my region of Rockhampton and surrounds. We are constantly fed information that indigenous youths are out causing mayhem. Smashed storefronts, trees set alight, break and enters, abusing other pedestrians and motorists, etc. These are all caught on camera or in photographs. They don't even rate a mention in the news unless there is a serious concern. One example was when a man was convicted of murdering his toddler son.

Take it up with the media outlets if it concerns you that much.  Rockhampton?  A place which produced Pauline Hanson, so obviously Indigenous people don't have a free ride, despite what you appear to believe.   Indigenous people get judged by their "race" and then by what they are doing.  I wonder if you'd like that to occur to you?   I suspect not.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2019 at 9:26pm

Going by DARK EMU by Bruce Pascoe.
It seems its been a concerted effort by Colonial Propaganda to make the population believe that Aboriginals were 'never-never' here at all.
That it was a vacant land full of open spaces and wild animals (to which Abos were associated with) - all for the Colony Taking.

Poor, helpless, primitive, savages who live under a leaf among the animals and invented a stick. We must give them hand-outs for their uselessness.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #17 - May 23rd, 2019 at 9:32pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 11:02pm:
Indigenous Australians are not accorded any privileges it seems except in your imagination.

Indigenous Australians are regularly abused by Police only occasionally do stories make it to the MSM.   Roll Eyes

I think aboriginal privileges in terms of extra benefits have been scaled back to match that of the rest of Australians since the year 2013, at the latest. Aboriginal funding for arts and culture is still going (and I am happy with that). But, societally, aboriginal people are treated (perhaps condescendingly) as untouchable... unless they commit a severe crime (assaults, rapes, robberies, murder, etc).

I regularly listen to the police radio. And I am part of a facebook crime watch group for my region of Rockhampton and surrounds. We are constantly fed information that indigenous youths are out causing mayhem. Smashed storefronts, trees set alight, break and enters, abusing other pedestrians and motorists, etc. These are all caught on camera or in photographs. They don't even rate a mention in the news unless there is a serious concern. One example was when a man was convicted of murdering his toddler son.

Take it up with the media outlets if it concerns you that much.  Rockhampton?  A place which produced Pauline Hanson, so obviously Indigenous people don't have a free ride, despite what you appear to believe.   Indigenous people get judged by their "race" and then by what they are doing.  I wonder if you'd like that to occur to you?   I suspect not.    Roll Eyes

I think Ipswich or Toowoomba was what produced Pauline Hanson. (Lee Hanson was produced in Rockhampton). We actually do take up the issue of crime and vandalism with police. We also post to noticeboards on our facebook pages to notify people in the area to keep vigilant watch. As recently as of last month, we have seen an increase in gangs roaming the northside of town being a general nuisance and causing vandalism. A large group of 10 youths, mostly aboriginal, were the main perpetrators. So far, police are not doing anything about them, since they have not caused serious problems. But the police obviously have no "move on" powers when it comes to people of indigenous ethnicity.

I do get judged by my caucasian appearance. These gangs seem to take up my race as an issue when I am out and about on my midnight walks. The number of "white bugger" comments or about me alleged to being a "white bastard" because I do not give an aboriginal woman a smoke -- not possible as I do not smoke. Oh, and let me see if my welfare benefits get cut if I miss an appointment (without reason) or I lose my job over an unfair dismissal. Indigenous people can still be classified as disadvantaged, just because they roll up their sleeves to show off their race, not because of those that do hard work.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - May 23rd, 2019 at 9:38pm

Well Unsubby,

Maybe you should remind them that Africa is for 'Blacks Only' going  by the treatment Whites get over there and remind the Blacks here, with a length of wood - whose country this is now. Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #19 - May 24th, 2019 at 1:08pm

Jasin wrote on May 23rd, 2019 at 9:38pm:
Well Unsubby,

Maybe you should remind them that Africa is for 'Blacks Only' going  by the treatment Whites get over there and remind the Blacks here, with a length of wood - whose country this is now. Wink

If black people in Africa treated white people in Africa as respectfully as the way white Australian people treat aboriginal Australians, there would not be a peep coming in protest from white people in Africa.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #20 - May 24th, 2019 at 2:41pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 23rd, 2019 at 9:32pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 22nd, 2019 at 11:02pm:

I think Ipswich or Toowoomba was what produced Pauline Hanson. (Lee Hanson was produced in Rockhampton).

Hanson grew to prominence as the member for Rockhampton.

Quote:
We actually do take up the issue of crime and vandalism with police. We also post to noticeboards on our facebook pages to notify people in the area to keep vigilant watch. As recently as of last month, we have seen an increase in gangs roaming the northside of town being a general nuisance and causing vandalism. A large group of 10 youths, mostly aboriginal, were the main perpetrators. So far, police are not doing anything about them, since they have not caused serious problems. But the police obviously have no "move on" powers when it comes to people of indigenous ethnicity.

They have them but they seem, according to you, not be exercising them.  There is a difference.   Again, take it up with the Police.  Perhaps they need something suspicious to be occurring for them to actually take an interest?   They cannot simply move people on 'cause of the colour of their skin...   Roll Eyes

Quote:
I do get judged by my caucasian appearance. These gangs seem to take up my race as an issue when I am out and about on my midnight walks. The number of "white bugger" comments or about me alleged to being a "white bastard" because I do not give an aboriginal woman a smoke -- not possible as I do not smoke. Oh, and let me see if my welfare benefits get cut if I miss an appointment (without reason) or I lose my job over an unfair dismissal. Indigenous people can still be classified as disadvantaged, just because they roll up their sleeves to show off their race, not because of those that do hard work.

Clear difference though, UnSub.  You only occasionally get judged by the colour of your skin.  Indigenous Australians get judged constantly by the colour of their skin.   Tell us when you get judged ALL the time, OK?   Tell us when you've been told that 'cause you're white you can't get a job or you've been "moved on" by Police or you've been apprehended simply because you're in the same area that a crime has been committed.  If you're arrested, you're often beaten by the Police, sometimes to the point of death.  These a common, everyday occurrences for many Indigenous Australians.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #21 - May 24th, 2019 at 5:31pm

Hanson was a member of the Ipswich City Council.

Causing disturbances is only enough cause for the police to issue move on orders. Last night, police issued a move on order to a group of indigenous people who attacked a couple of foreign tourists near the Boathouse. The tourists had to take refuge in the toilet blocks. Police only issued a move on order. I don't know why charges were not laid against the attackers. Perhaps the tourists were told that the charges would not be worth the trouble. And I did not assert that police were moving people on based on the colour of the offender's skin.

Amazingly, last night, I was at a McDonalds restaurant, getting an emergency feed. I had to wait behind 20 other people who had come in from a rodeo. They were all dressed up in rodeo uniforms. I immediately thought that they were a tough bunch of people. I eventually sat down and had a meal. A group of three aboriginal teens/young adults came in for their meals. They were dressed very casual and in their streetwear clothes. But they were polite and quiet and doing no wrong. I was more concerned that the head of the rodeo group had almost yelled at his son (presumably) for making another order, just before the group was about to leave. The son looked a bit embarrassed to be called out like that in public.

Therefore, I judge people based on their behaviour. I bet those indigenous youths get stereotyped because of the clothes they were. But, for their racial background, they would have been judged on their behaviour. And they were decent in their behaviour that night.

I have been turned down or discouraged from certain jobs. Some jobs are for indigenous people only. Try walking around in an area where aboriginal, Asian, or other non-white people reside. Try going through certain areas of Sydney as a white person. People look at you as if to ask "what the hell are you doing here?". I have been subjected to stares by Asian people because of my blonde hair. Not that it is a bad thing as it has helped me get laid by a few Japanese ladies. But that goes to show that I have been subjected to racial prejudice because of my racial background. It just does not happen so often to me because I live in a 95% white town.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 4:13pm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print