Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Busting the Anzac myth (Read 3868 times)
Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Busting the Anzac myth
Apr 29th, 2019 at 11:15am

Quote:
Has a national obsession hijacked centenary commemorations of the Great War?

https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/social-affairs/busting-anzac-myth

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Busting the Anzac myth
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:48pm

Maybe if you voiced your opinion rather than just a link, your threads would attract more comments

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 1:20pm

Or we can discuss the merits of an academic expert instead of using uneducated assumptions?

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 1:21pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 1:20pm:
Or we can discuss the merits of an academic expert instead of using uneducated assumptions?

Sure.  We could.  But it doesn't seem to be happening at the moment

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 1:33pm

Then participate?

Okay I will start:

The literature and education and mood of the Australian public is decidedly against America, the military and military culture. This is represented in classrooms, the media and the ongoing social discourse regarding the merits and involvement of the military and the influence of America on the Australian political landscape.

These do not necessarily reflect my views, these reflect the views of the electorate and future generations who have yet to obtain the right the vote.

There is consistent education and commentary that is negative towards the military, Australian foreign policy and the place of America in the Australian political landscape. There is no counter narrative.

It can be said that the military is a society within a society, much like insular ethnic communities, and military values do not represent the Australian population in the slightest. This can be deduced from surveys regarding support for military operations and student participation in the anti war, anti military, anti climate denial, pro refugee and anti big business activist streams, where they are overly represented and contrary arguments and statements are socially unacceptable.

Australia is changing.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 1:52pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 1:33pm:
Then participate?

Okay I will start:

The literature and education and mood of the Australian public is decidedly against America, the military and military culture. This is represented in classrooms, the media and the ongoing social discourse regarding the merits and involvement of the military and the influence of America on the Australian political landscape.

These do not necessarily reflect my views, these reflect the views of the electorate and future generations who have yet to obtain the right the vote.

There is consistent education and commentary that is negative towards the military, Australian foreign policy and the place of America in the Australian political landscape. There is no counter narrative.

It can be said that the military is a society within a society, much like insular ethnic communities, and military values do not represent the Australian population in the slightest. This can be deduced from surveys regarding support for military operations and student participation in the anti war, anti military, anti climate denial, pro refugee and anti big business activist streams, where they are overly represented and contrary arguments and statements are socially unacceptable.

Australia is changing.

What Aussies say, what they mean and what they actually do ----- differ

There's an entire culture (and it's not restricted to the younger generations) which attempts to model itself on younger generation Americans.  And nowhere is this seen more starkly than on large US forums (although they're international) like the chans (predominantly 4chan and 8chan) where Aussies clearly attempt to ape, in the main, Americans

As to not wanting to become involved in USrael wars for profit, that's not anti-war or anti-American (although there's very much an anti jew, anti Zionist sentiment) it's a case of Aussies regarding war as something not to be entered into lightly and certainly not for the gratification of USrael slugs

anti-government, anti-military sentiments are directly as result of the wars for profit into which Aussie troops have been thrown by a succession of traitor politicians and prime ministers who of course, are selected for their willingness to bend over for USrael

If an invasion of Australia occurred and when help from UK and US fails to eventuate, then if the Oz govt. issues Aussies with weapons, I think we'd find Aussies rushing to the invasion site intent on repelling the invaders

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 1:58pm

I have found this has occurred mainstream:

America intentionally lied about WMD to destabilise the middle east for hegemony.

Big companies that make weapons profit, and companies like Halliburton that have links to presidents and vice presidents.

America originally funded Al Qaeda.

America is best friends with Saudi Arabia and Saudi Arabia trained and funded ISIS.

All the statements about Iran and Syria and North Korea is American lies for hegemony. It is all propaganda. Therefore the counter narrative of Israel being this and that and America being what and how seems plausible.

Anything coming out of America is rejected offhand.

The mainstream media is in cahoots with the CIA.

and that is exactly what current and future generations are saying. And they are mobilising and protesting.

They embrace American culture if that means beer and music and parties. Anything else American is rejected outright.

And that is Australia 2019 age range 15-45 for the majority.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:19pm

Great post

Quote:
They embrace American culture if that means beer and music and parties. Anything else American is rejected outright

Americans still seem kewl to many Aussies, many well into middle age.  Reddit Australia for example -- sickening example of Aussies desperately trying for American patterns of speech and for a faux, American-style cynicism.  I was chucked out of Reddit Australia half a dozen times for pointing out how stupid Aussies sound when they try to impress Americans.  They got offended. They didn't realise how obvious and try-hard they are.  It's depressing, the still-large cultural cringe in Oz

The try-hard antics are equally see-through for Aussies who browse & post the Aussie threads in 4chan, where by accident, Aussies have become a meme.  They invariably have Oz specific pics as their OP -- usually some rough-nut, brown-baked Aussie stereotype in a cork-wreathed hat with the obligatory kangaroo to the side

what created the Aussie meme is Aussies' overuse of fc*k and c*nt.  For some reason, it endears Aussie posters to Americans in particular and they (Americans) have added Aussie vocabulary to their own as a badge of admiration and friendship for supposedly 'irreverent' 'tough' 'no chit' Aussies down here underneath the real-world

Aussie red-necks don't differ much from world-wide red-necks insofar as partays involve chunder-inducing amounts of grog and the gang-rape or gang-bashings.  As to more genteel partying, Aussies'Yanks consume grog, drugs and exhibit idiotic behaviours generally

So Americans fantasise about Straya being filled with foul mouthed but funny guys and women who're up for it, and Aussies fantasise about the America they see on Netflix, tv, videos.  They both sling off at brown people and bemoan immigration.  Online, they fester with misogyny and seem unable to differentiate between natural breasts and silicone bags.  And they're being prepped to hate older generations

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:21pm

That is in a cohesive mutually appreciated internet society.

I don't believe that is reflective of the wider community.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:23pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:21pm:
That is in a cohesive mutually appreciated internet society.

I don't believe that is reflective of the wider community.

You could be right

Test it by offering Aussies twelve months in the US

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:30pm

They are not balanced. They are un-American.

They will say:

Healthcare
Gun crime
Lower wages
Taxes

Not, "ooooh what an interesting experience that would be".

They are raised and educated like this.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:33pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:30pm:
They are not balanced. They are un-American.

They will say:

Healthcare
Gun crime
Lower wages
Taxes

Not, "ooooh what an interesting experience that would be".

They are raised and educated like this.

or

they say, Disneyland, Las Vegas, California, movies stars, glamour, massive servings of American style foods, road trips, scenery, proximity to Canada …. and here we are, stuck on this hot rock surrounded by sea and potential invaders

Aussies are lonely

they always have been

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:44pm

I haven't ever seen that. Ever. From anyone. Except me. I am the only person I've ever observed with these attitudes.

Everyone else is unenthralled by America or educated to be anti Anerican.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 3:21pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:44pm:
I haven't ever seen that. Ever. From anyone. Except me. I am the only person I've ever observed with these attitudes.

Everyone else is unenthralled by America or educated to be anti Anerican.

Nothing unusual about our different observations

It wasn't until Gulf War and 9/11, from memory (which roughly coincided with widespread internet useage in Oz) that the US began its slide into notoriety.  Prior to that, the US was admired, envied and a place of fantasy, dreams & hope for most.  You still find those attitudes amongst many non-Westerners who still consider the US to be the place where dreams can become true

most Aussies' beliefs about the US (and we could include many Europeans) were based in US movies and tv.  The Brady Bunch was a massive hit with kids who believed most/all Americans lived the Brady lifestyle -- big modern house, perfect mom and pop, happy happy, always sunny, prosperous.  The Brits in particular were/are particularly taken with Home and Away and similar shows and they must have been responsible for tens of thousands of Brits desperately trying to find that lifestyle by emmigrating to Oz .. beach at the end of the street, barbques and dozen of friends every night, buckets of fresh fruit falling off trees, always sunny, etc.)

America dominated tv and films and from those we believed America to be a bastion of justice and integrity.  After the gloss peeled off the US, the world has never recovered.  'Who do we look up to now?'. Millions of dreams died.  It was the same for Americans

As with most painful break-ups, the world set about ripping apart the United States' reputation.  Love had turned to hate.  Alternative news sites, which had previously only been available in books and magazines such as New Dawn, sprang up online.  People's eyes had opened and the US was exposed and excoriated. We know now about US lies, it's bullying, its pot-holed roads, crumbling infrastructure, poverty, etc. We learned how our national leaders plotted with USrael to engineer wars for profit and to poison our bodies and minds

The Great Satan.  But the love for the US dies hard.  And we still harbour many of those old fantasies and beliefs.  I wouldn't like to guess how many Aussies still believe that if anyone lays a finger on Australia, Uncle Sam and the cavalry will fly, sail and swim to our rescue

Australia still regards itself as the little underdog in many ways.  And the fact Tony Abbott almost begged Obama to allow Australia to send troops to fight, kill and die in any dispute going, disgusted many of us but most likely swelled others with pride

As to busting the ANZAC myth, who wants to do that?  The kids who undertake the trek to Turkey every year in order to stand at Gallipoli?  The tens of thousands who get up early to attend dawn services and later to line the streets, dabbing their eyes with tissues?

Australia makes a big deal of ANZAC because Australia obviously needs ANZAC.  It's said that the ANZACs moulded Australia and put Australia and Australians on the map in the eyes of Australians

Every nation and culture has its myths and legends.  They exist for a reason and people are reluctant to let them go.  The NWO will have a never-ending fight on its hands if it attempts to take them away.  There are third and fourth generation migrant decendants in Oz who rupture their lungs as they scream for their homeland's team and fly their homeland's flag at sporting events.  Then a few days later, they're back to being Aussies.  But deep down, their homeland and all it means to them still lives, even if they've never left Australia

So surely Aussies can keep ANZAC

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 3:51pm

Midnight Oil was an extremely successful Australian band.

They had songs like US Forces.

I would therefore assume that in the 80s, this was an acceptable and common political belief, one that resonates with the themes of that song.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print