Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Cultural clashes dividing French, Australian offic (Read 3666 times)
Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Re: Cultural clashes dividing French, Australian offic
Reply #15 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:09pm

Vic wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 11:56am:
Spatchcock wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 11:35am:
FFG's - two second hand from USA. the rest modified design built new in Australia.

ANZAC class - German design

Canberra class - Spanish design

Hobart class - Spanish design

Attack class sub - French design

Oberon class sub - British design

Collins Class sub - Swedish design

Where is this American preferred supplier you speak of?

FFGs
You might like to check that!    4 were actually built for the RAN in the US and the last two were built in Australia.

Whilst it is true that the design of the ships and boats  is from other countries, most of the actual fire control, software, military hardware, communications, weaponry, etc are all American.       Take away the American licenses, maintenance plans, supply and support and the Navy would become a sunday afternoon harbour club.

Yeah I had a look. They lived in America for two years before coming to Australia to be a part of RAN operations.

I didn't find anything about most of anything coming from America.

The fact is the super structure is not American in essentially every case. Which was the argument.

Is there a reason you are wearing dolphins?

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:12pm

Brian was talking about the design of the vessel. He said America is our preferred supplier. I demonstrated this is certainly not the case.

Talking about computers was never the argument. Trying to turn it in this direction is trying to be right when you are wrong. That is making this discussion personal because he is hurt, which is not unexpected considering the ad hominems.

It is extremely biased and unprofessional.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #17 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:34pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:09pm:
FFG's - two second hand from USA. the rest modified design built new in Australia.

FFGs
You might like to check that!    4 were actually built for the RAN in the US and the last two were built in Australia.

Whilst it is true that the design of the ships and boats  is from other countries, most of the actual fire control, software, military hardware, communications, weaponry, etc are all American.       Take away the American licenses, maintenance plans, supply and support and the Navy would become a sunday afternoon harbour club.

Yeah I had a look. They lived in America for two years before coming to Australia to be a part of RAN operations.

The fact is the super structure is not American in essentially every case. Which was the argument.

Yes, I was  in the RAN for over 40 years, some of which was in O Boats

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:36pm

Vic wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:34pm:

FFGs

That's lovely.

Do you want to talk about the Leeuwin class?

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #19 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:42pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:36pm:
Vic wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:34pm:

FFGs

That's lovely.

Do you want to talk about the Leeuwin class?

Sure, what would you like to know?    I worked in the HSPO in HMAS CAIRNS from 2011 to 2013.  I paid off in Dec 2014 so my knowledge will only be based around what I knew Defence wise at that time

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:57pm

Okay I want to talk about this:

We have the F88 made in Austria. In Austria it is called the StG77.

88 is a symbol used by neo Nazis. Hitler was born in Austria.

Here we have an Austrian gun we named 88. We changed the name to 88.

ANZAC is named so because of...... guess.

Operating as a Navy, Australia's threat zone (not humanitarian assistance zone, or coalition support zone, but warzone) is Asia. So.... China.

Here we have a survey saying LEE YOU WIN.

Li/Lee is the second most common name in China.

Two Wong's don't make a white....

Let's talk about the Pugaree. Let's talk about how that sounds like Bugaree.

Now let's talk about Aboriginal names.

In Japanese, I love you sounds like "I sheit a roo".

Uluru = you loo roo (kangaroo)

I SHEIT A ROO

Japanese flag, red centre white flag. Uluru, red centre, surrounded by sand.

Found in Kata juta national park. Kata is a Japanese word for practising Martial arts.

There are dozens more Japanese aboriginal words if you want them.

Now, the Australian army has the rising sun as it's symbol. The Japanese flag is the rising sun.

What do you do when it rains?

You wear your JAPARA.

ARA = Australian Regular Army.

Leeuwin. Aisheitaru.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #21 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:05pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:57pm:
Okay I want to talk about this:

We have the F88 made in Austria. In Austria it is called the StG77.

88 is a symbol used by neo Nazis. Hitler was born in Austria.

Here we have an Austrian gun we named 88. We changed the name to 88.

ANZAC is named so because of...... guess.

Operating as a Navy, Australia's threat zone (not humanitarian assistance zone, or coalition support zone, but warzone) is Asia. So.... China.

Here we have a survey saying LEE YOU WIN.

Li/Lee is the second most common name in China.

Two Wong's don't make a white....

Let's talk about the Pugaree. Let's talk about how that sounds like Bugaree.

Now let's talk about Aboriginal names.

In Japanese, I love you sounds like "I sheit a roo".

Uluru = you loo roo (kangaroo)

I SHEIT A ROO

Japanese flag, red centre white flag. Uluru, red centre, surrounded by sand.

Found in Kata juta national park. Kata is a Japanese word for practising Martial arts.

There are dozens more Japanese aboriginal words if you want them.

Now, the Australian army has the rising sun as it's symbol. The Japanese flag is the rising sun.

What do you do when it rains?

You wear your JAPARA.

ARA = Australian Regular Army.

Leeuwin. Aisheitaru.

You are talking a lot of Army to an ex Navy Electrical Engineer.    The Leeuwin Class of Ship - to the best of my knowledge - have no connection with anything other than historical discoveries of landmarks in Australia by Dutch, English and any other of a number of explorers   HMAS Leeuwin and HMAS Melville are Leeuwin class survey ships whilst the old shore base HMAS Leeuwin was a Junior Recruit Training base in the 60s/70s/80s.       As stated, I worked in the HSPO in Cairns project managing the maintenance of these and PALUMA class platforms.   I am sorry I cannot comment of your question!

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:18pm

Okay what about this one.

Remember the Abbott government?

Tony Abbott was PM.

Barnaby Joyce was deputy PM.

Julie Bishop was deputy Liberal leader.

Bronwyn Bishop was speaker of the house.

Tony Abbott used to talk about how much of a Catholic he was. An Abbott is a religious leader.

Barnaby Joyce is from the country party. An Abbey is a religious building. In the country you have barns.

So here we had an Abbott with his Barn Abbey and two Bishops.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:21pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:18pm:
Okay what about this one.

Remember the Abbott government?

Tony Abbott was PM.

Barnaby Joyce was deputy PM.

Julie Bishop was deputy Liberal leader.

Bronwyn Bishop was speaker of the house.

Tony Abbott used to talk about how much of a Catholic he was. An Abbott is a religious leader.

Barnaby Joyce is from the country party. An Abbey is a religious building. In the country you have barns.

So here we had an Abbott with his Barn Abbey and two Bishops.

I am lost here.  How did the discussion get down to 'funnies' on name puns?

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:22pm

It's not even a little bit funny.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #25 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:51pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:47am:
Brian you don't know anything except quoted statistics.

The conversation started with you stating America was Australia's preferred submarine supplier but they don't make diesel boats so we went elsewhere. You also stated America is our preferred supplier for everything.

I pointed out this is not true. I pointed out we have nothing Navy made in the USA, except for like, a computer or two.

Now you are running with that saying everything is made in the USA.

Wrong.  You obviously cannot read plain English, littlle chicken.

I have said that the weapon systems were primarily made in the USA.  The US is our preferred supplier of weapons because well, we are in their good books and so get "preferred nation" rates for weapons.

The surface ship hulls recently have largely been European in origin - Germany, Spain and the UK.   The Australian Government has been getting the "best of both worlds" simply because the US cannot supply a middle-powered navy with suitable hulls.  It is however able to supply the RAN with advanced weapons and sensors...

Quote:
you were proven to be wrong. AGAIN. Now instead of being humble and acknowledging wherever, you are twisting the argument to make yourself claim you are right and knowledgeable. AGAIN

you are wrong and know very little. This has been demonstrated.  AGAIN.

And Brian, you are sprouting your opinion again. There js no justification of your assessment of the Attack class boat. It is just you staying I am wrong and you resting on your multiple claims of unproven military service and a Masters degree from ADFA, also unproven.

If you were in the military you would know the entire Army was trained for facing Vietnam style contingencies until 1992. It was extremely light infantry training against unconventional targets in thick scrub. This is applying the lessons learnt from Vietnam.

You are taking nonsense about the intended purpose of these Attack class boats. You are writing sentences that do not have any meaning related to this boat and using guile to appear knowledgeable. You know nothing.

Run along, little chicken, your desperation is showing.  I can hear your nursemaid calling for you to go back to your own patch of mud in the little kiddies' playground where you belong.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:55pm

None of the Fletcher class FFGs were "second hand", little chicken.  They were all built expressly for the RAN, in US shipyards.   Roll Eyes

Quote:

The weapon and sensor systems which are placed on the hulls, little chicken have, since the mid-1960s been basically from the USA.    Roll Eyes

Interesting that you miss out the Charles F. Adams, PERTH class DDGs.  The main warships of the RAN for over 30 years...   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:59pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:51pm:
Spatchcock wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:47am:
Brian you don't know anything except quoted statistics.

The conversation started with you stating America was Australia's preferred submarine supplier but they don't make diesel boats so we went elsewhere. You also stated America is our preferred supplier for everything.

I pointed out this is not true. I pointed out we have nothing Navy made in the USA, except for like, a computer or two.

Now you are running with that saying everything is made in the USA.

Wrong.  You obviously cannot read plain English, littlle chicken.

I have said that the weapon systems were primarily made in the USA.  The US is our preferred supplier of weapons because well, we are in their good books and so get "preferred nation" rates for weapons.

The surface ship hulls recently have largely been European in origin - Germany, Spain and the UK.   The Australian Government has been getting the "best of both worlds" simply because the US cannot supply a middle-powered navy with suitable hulls.  It is however able to supply the RAN with advanced weapons and sensors...

Quote:
you were proven to be wrong. AGAIN. Now instead of being humble and acknowledging wherever, you are twisting the argument to make yourself claim you are right and knowledgeable. AGAIN

you are wrong and know very little. This has been demonstrated.  AGAIN.

And Brian, you are sprouting your opinion again. There js no justification of your assessment of the Attack class boat. It is just you staying I am wrong and you resting on your multiple claims of unproven military service and a Masters degree from ADFA, also unproven.

If you were in the military you would know the entire Army was trained for facing Vietnam style contingencies until 1992. It was extremely light infantry training against unconventional targets in thick scrub. This is applying the lessons learnt from Vietnam.

You are taking nonsense about the intended purpose of these Attack class boats. You are writing sentences that do not have any meaning related to this boat and using guile to appear knowledgeable. You know nothing.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smiley.jpg

Run along, little chicken, your desperation is showing.  I can hear your nursemaid calling for you to go back to your own patch of mud in the little kiddies' playground where you belong.   Roll Eyes

The conversation started with you stating Australia would prefer their regular supplier the USA to make the submarine but America doesn't make diesel submarines so we had to go elsewhere.

This is the vessel. Not the computer.

These are the facts. You are calling the last thirty years recent. Before this "recent event" of Euro ships they were British. There was like one class of US designed whatevers.

I don't understand why you keep setting yourself up like this.

America has never been our preferred supplier of anything. We even had German tanks. We had Belgian rifles and pistols. We were using different ammunition. We never had an over representation of American commonality in the ADF.

We also didn't have advanced anything.

Find out when our Navy got VLS. We have never been "small but advanced" nautically.

Start dealing facts please.

IP Logged

Spatchcock

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 2:01pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:55pm:

None of the Fletcher class FFGs were "second hand", little chicken.  They were all built expressly for the RAN, in US shipyards.   Roll Eyes

Quote:

The weapon and sensor systems which are placed on the hulls, little chicken have, since the mid-1960s been basically from the USA.    Roll Eyes

Interesting that you miss out the Charles F. Adams, PERTH class DDGs.  The main warships of the RAN for over 30 years...   Roll Eyes

They were two years old with seagull poo and barnacles on them when they were transferred to Australian control. With run in engines and lived in living quarters.

Now three ships = preferred supplier?

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #29 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 4:38pm

Spatchcock wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 2:01pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:55pm:

Quote:

They were two years old with seagull poo and barnacles on them when they were transferred to Australian control. With run in engines and lived in living quarters.

Now three ships = preferred supplier?

Well, you have the three DDGs, the five FFGs, then you have most of the weapons and most of the sensors on all the ships since - all sourced from the USA.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Quote:
Construction and acquisition

Following the cancellation of the Australian light destroyer project in 1973, the British Type 42 destroyer and the American Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate were identified as alternatives.[1] Although the Type 42 met the RAN's requirements as a replacement for the cancelled light destroyers and the Daring-class destroyers, fitting the ship with the SM-1 missile would have been difficult.[1] On the other hand, the Perry class was still at the design stage; a design that was described by assessment project staff as "a second rate escort that falls short of the DDL [light destroyer] requirements on virtually every respect".[1][2] Despite this, the Australian government approved the purchase of two US-built Perry-class ships in 1974.[1]

The risk of acquiring an unproven design was seen as acceptable because of the success of the USN's Charles F. Adams-class destroyer (of which the RAN operated three ships as the Perth class), when compared to the equivalent British ships the RAN would have purchased.[2] Final government approval to order two ships was granted in 1976, with a third ship ordered in 1977.[3] The order was expanded in April 1980 with the order of a fourth unit.[4] These four ships were built by Todd Pacific Shipyards of Seattle, Washington, as part of the USN's shipbuilding program, and were assigned USN hull numbers during construction, which were replaced with RAN pennant numbers upon entering service.[5] The first, HMAS Adelaide (USN hull number FFG-17, RAN pennant number FFG 01) was built to the Flight I design, while Canberra (FFG-18/FFG 02) and Sydney (FFG-35/FFG 03) were the first and last ships of the Flight II design, respectively.[5] The final American-built ship was Darwin (FFG-44/FFG 04); constructed to the Flight III design.[5] In 1980, two more ships (Melbourne and Newcastle) were ordered, but were built in Australia by AMECON of Williamstown, Victoria, and did not receive USN numbers.[4][5]

[Source

None of the RAN's FFGs saw service with any other navy, except the Royal Australian one, little chicken. They were delivered directly to the enduser - the RAN. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print