\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Philosophy.
Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 7:45pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 7:05pm:
The Reboot wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 6:32pm:
Aussie wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 5:17pm:
Quote:
We 'do' philosophy in order to better our inner self.

"Better" or delude or provide some self serving validation or altar to weep/worship over?  I can guarantee that no voodoo snake oil salesman of philosophy will ever change the way I think or go about my Life.  All it does is provide idle bored minds with a cause or vehicle to grandstand some wankery in their head which never ever converts into anything beneficial to society unlike for example, science. 

Funny. This sums you up perfectly.  Kiss

That makes no sense given I am dismissing the very idea of it.

So the philosophy that has made the west what it is, how it's laws are made, how it has sought individual freedom, brought about the enlightenment, has had no impact on you. You would be exactly the same with the same thought processes if you were born on mars 10,000 years ago?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 7:49pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 7:45pm:
Quote:

"Better" or delude or provide some self serving validation or altar to weep/worship over?  I can guarantee that no voodoo snake oil salesman of philosophy will ever change the way I think or go about my Life.  All it does is provide idle bored minds with a cause or vehicle to grandstand some wankery in their head which never ever converts into anything beneficial to society unlike for example, science. 

So the philosophy that has made the west what it is, how it's laws are made, how it has sought individual freedom, brought about the enlightenment, has had no impact on you. You would be exactly the same with the same thought processes if you were born on mars 10,000 years ago?

Fact is, I wasn't.  And it was not Plato or Socrates et al who had any impact on me.  It was my Parents, my environment, my teachers and then my own Life experience.  I cannot recall ever reading the works of a philosopher.  You?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:40pm

You wouldn't be a good Lawyer if you didn't understand and respect Philosophy. It is Philosophy that has given every peoples around the world, the ability to culturally enrich themselves.
It was Philosophy that allowed us to innovate, even the first Writings of cuniform for it was Humanity's 'wonder' of the Moon that inspired that creation.

Your mind and people skills Aussie are like a small one pub town  with just a few inbreeds to keep the population ticking over.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:48pm

Jasin wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:40pm:
You wouldn't be a good Lawyer if you didn't understand and respect Philosophy. It is Philosophy that has given every peoples around the world, the ability to culturally enrich themselves.
It was Philosophy that allowed us to innovate, even the first Writings of cuniform for it was Humanity's 'wonder' of the Moon that inspired that creation.

Your mind and people skills Aussie are like a small one pub town  with just a few inbreeds to keep the population ticking over.

You would not know a good Lawyer if they "jumped out of your cornflakes."

How did 'philosophy' allow the tribes in New Guinea (for just one of a zillion examples) to 'culturally enrich' themselves? 

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:55pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 7:49pm:
Setanta wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 7:45pm:
Quote:

Fact is, I wasn't.  And it was not Plato or Socrates et al who had any impact on me.  It was my Parents, my environment, my teachers and then my own Life experience.  I cannot recall ever reading the works of a philosopher.  You?

And all of those things you have mentioned as having an impact on you are born of western philosophy. You have been impacted by osmosis through those you mention. Not blind but cannot see. Wilful ignorance?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:04pm

Quote:
And all of those things you have mentioned as having an impact on you are born of western philosophy. You have been impacted by osmosis through those you mention. Not blind but cannot see. Wilful ignorance?

Not at all.  Not one of my forebears ever mentioned anything philosophical to me.  You?  Which of yours quoted 'Plato' to you as a potential mentor?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #21 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:10pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:04pm:
Quote:

Not at all.  Not one of my forebears ever mentioned anything philosophical to me.  You?  Which of yours quoted 'Plato' to you as a potential mentor?

It doesn't matter whether they mentioned shite to you. Where does democracy come from? Where do we get the western idea of the individual? It doesn't mater what you read, it doesn't matter whether your teachers told you what they read? Did you parents tell you everything they read? Your whole idea of law, freedom etc, comes from western philosophy. As I said, not blind but cannot see. Your mind is  infused with western philosophy. That why you don't think like the Chinese or the Indians or the Arabs, you have been soaking in it since birth, it has made you, you.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:19pm

Seems Aussie's Ego rules his mind for his mind has now ticked in jealousy of how the rest of us can attend the Philosophy section and converse in intellectual freedom, while he knows himself he can't even make 'contender' there.
Imagine the boring Dinner Party with Aussie in attendance. It would be an argument over the seating arrangement. He wouldn't even be able to make it to the discussion on the wonderful food that has been set.
Aussie's Ego holds him to being the 'smartest' here on the Forum and no bunch of Philsophers are ever gonna get the better of him and thus - he has fired his first cannon at us from his Castaway Island.

It is Philsophy, more than anything in Humanity's life, that has given rise to human endeavour to live, rather than just 'survive'.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #23 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:22pm

Jasin wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:19pm:
Seems Aussie's Ego rules his mind for his mind has now ticked in jealousy of how the rest of us can attend the Philosophy section and converse in intellectual freedom, while he knows himself he can't even make 'contender' there.
Imagine the boring Dinner Party with Aussie in attendance. It would be an argument over the seating arrangement. He wouldn't even be able to make it to the discussion on the wonderful food that has been set.
Aussie's Ego holds him to being the 'smartest' here on the Forum and no bunch of Philsophers are ever gonna get the better of him and thus - he has fired his first cannon at us from his Castaway Island.

It is Philsophy, more than anything in Humanity's life, that has given rise to human endeavour to live, rather than just 'survive'.

It is the beginning of our scientific method and what that has brought to the world.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:22pm

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether they mentioned shite to you. Where does democracy come from? Where do we get the western idea of the individual? It doesn't mater what you read, it doesn't matter whether your teachers told you what they read? Did you parents tell you everything they read? Your whole idea of law, freedom etc, comes from western philosophy. As I said, not blind but cannot see. Your mind is  infused with western philosophy. That why you don't think like the Chinese or the Indians or the Arabs, you have been soaking in it since birth, it has made you, you.

I don't think like an "Arab" because I was not born in Arabia.  Not one person yet has informed me why any "Plato" et al had any impact on me.

What did impact was Magna Carta (and on) and that had farq all to do with philosophy.

There is not one thing I can identify in my Life or those of my colleagues, neighbours and mates that you can place at the feet of 'Plato.'  I'd go Darwin if I were you.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #25 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:32pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:22pm:
Quote:

I don't think like an "Arab" because I was not born in Arabia.  Not one person yet has informed me why any "Plato" et al had any impact on me.

What did impact was Magna Carta (and on) and that had farq all to do with philosophy.

There is not one thing I can identify in my Life or those of my colleagues, neighbours and mates that you can place at the feet of 'Plato.'  I'd go Darwin if I were you.

You are playing yourself. The Magna Carta was built off western philosophy. You don't think like an arab because your life was steeped in western thought. Just because you can't find a linchpin that you would accept does not mean you are not influenced by western philosophy and what Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, et al had to say. It's you that can't make a link, like a child, because you never read them. The west has read them for centuries and it is the basis of much of the way we think. Feel free to think you are an original out of the womb being with no input and totally self made but you will be fooling yourself. You are a product of western thinking/philosophy, it's soaked into you from birth.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:34pm

You wouldn't have been a Lawyer, if it wasn't for Plato, Socrates and more.
Maybe that is why you 'failed' at being a successful Lawyer?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:38pm

Gotta hand it to Aussie tonight.
He's put the word PHILOSOPHY in his Relationshits Section.
Maybe he finally knows a good thing, when he sees it?  Wink Grin

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:51pm

Quote:
You are playing yourself. The Magna Carta was built off western philosophy. You don't think like an arab because your life was steeped in western thought. Just because you can't find a linchpin that you would accept does not mean you are not influenced by western philosophy and what Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, et al had to say. It's you that can't make a link, like a child, because you never read them. The west has read them for centuries and it is the basis of much of the way we think. Feel free to think you are an original out of the womb being with no input and totally self made but you will be fooling yourself. You are a product of western thinking/philosophy, it's soaked into you from birth.

Absurdly verbose.  I am not unique at all, I am the product of my heritage and not once did any "Plato" darken my door.

Magna Carta had SFA to do with philosopy.  It was driven by a man's inate desire to be free of the yoke of a tyrant.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #29 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:53pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:51pm:
Quote:

Absurdly verbose.  I am not unique at all, I am the product of my heritage and not once did any "Plato" darken my door.

Magna Carta had SFA to do with philosopy.  It was driven by a man's inate desire to be free of the yoke of a tyrant.

Was it? Why only in the west did it happen? You are fooling yourself. Is that less verbose?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print