Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
True? Sewage is recycled into UK domestic water (Read 2642 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
True? Sewage is recycled into UK domestic water
Apr 25th, 2019 at 3:49pm

An interesting article about sewage treatment in the UK which talks about the processing of 'brown water" which is filtered and disinfected and "pumped back into our homes".

Is this true? If so, it's not surprising that poms have an aversion to showering.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriewinkless/2016/10/18/what-happens-when-you-flu...

Quote:
... The now slightly-cleaner-but-still-brown water is passed onto what’s called "secondary treatment," which makes large-scale use of microbiology. Particular species of bacteria are added, to feast on the dangerous pathogens present in the feces-filled wastewater. Because these bacteria rely on oxygen, air is added at the same time, allowing them to thrive and multiply. Once they’ve broken down all of the pathogens, the bacteria have done their job. The water is moved to another tank where is it filtered and disinfected, and then, it’s ready to be pumped back into our homes. ...

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: True? Sewage is recycled into UK domestic water
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 3:52pm

If your water comes from a river with a town upstream, you are drinking their sewage, plus the turds from every dog that gets washed in whenever it rains, along with the odd dead cow.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 5:01pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 3:49pm:
An interesting article about sewage treatment in the UK which talks about the processing of 'brown water" which is filtered and disinfected and "pumped back into our homes".

Is this true? If so, it's not surprising that poms have an aversion to showering.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauriewinkless/2016/10/18/what-happens-when-you-flu...

Quote:
... The now slightly-cleaner-but-still-brown water is passed onto what’s called "secondary treatment," which makes large-scale use of microbiology. Particular species of bacteria are added, to feast on the dangerous pathogens present in the feces-filled wastewater. Because these bacteria rely on oxygen, air is added at the same time, allowing them to thrive and multiply. Once they’ve broken down all of the pathogens, the bacteria have done their job. The water is moved to another tank where is it filtered and disinfected, and then, it’s ready to be pumped back into our homes. ...

Just as well they do not bath in and drink the Ganges.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 5:02pm

Setanta wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 5:01pm:

Quote:

Grin You haven't been watching Sue Perkins in India ey?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 5:03pm

Plenty of dead cows would have rotted away in the water we drink.
It's all purified with science.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 6:57pm

IBI

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 7:27pm

Yuk

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:33pm

Remember when they were using raw sewage as fertiliser on the Farms of outer west Sydney.
I know I was vomiting within 15 mins of having finished my vegetables. My father in law and 4yr daughter were also doing the exorcists.
The bacteria content of the crops was through the roof, when they discovered where and why everyone in Sydney was getting crook fast.
It was all the Indian farmers doing it.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:38pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 5:02pm:

Quote:

Grin You haven't been watching Sue Perkins in India ey?

No, but it seems it's good enough for the ISS personnel to use recycled water.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:54pm

Gordon wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 6:57pm:

Despite all the water borne diseases that Indians suffer, they also have a strong immune system from tolerating the impure water.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #10 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:56pm

Jasin wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:33pm:
Remember when they were using raw sewage as fertiliser on the Farms of outer west Sydney.
I know I was vomiting within 15 mins of having finished my vegetables. My father in law and 4yr daughter were also doing the exorcists.
The bacteria content of the crops was through the roof, when they discovered where and why everyone in Sydney was getting crook fast.

There was a recycled sewerage treatment that was being used as fertiliser for Sydney region farming. Apparently, the soils that were near useless were fertilised with this manure, and the soil had regenerated to excellent condition within a year of fertilisation.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:56pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:54pm:
Gordon wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 6:57pm:

Despite all the water borne diseases that Indians suffer, they also have a strong immune system from tolerating the impure water.

https://www.indiaspend.com/diarrhoea-took-more-lives-than-any-other-water-borne-...

IBI

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:35pm

Quote:

That's only because the Ganges is not in the UK. I was in the UK 1977-1979 and the Thames was still a dirty dumping ground with garbage lining the banks.

"In 1957, the Natural History Museum declared the Thames biologically dead. News reports from that era describe it as a vast, foul-smelling drain."

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20151111-how-the-river-thames-was-brought-back-fr...
"Even the sewage problem has not been completely solved. Heavy rainfall typically overburdens London's creaking sewers, and the excess – rainwater mixed with sewage – is discharged into the river to prevent floods in the city."

There were a lot more nasty things in English rivers.

Quote:
... In the 1800s, London’s river Thames was being used as a dumping ground for everything (and I mean, everything) produced in the city. 1858 brought with it a surprisingly hot summer, but this was not a cause for joyful celebration. The river, smothered in rotting food, animal carcasses and feces, began to smell so badly that the city literally ground to a halt. The period now known as The Great Stink was only confined to the history books when engineers, led by Joseph Bazalgette, built London’s extensive underground sewer network to transport the waste away from the city. And Crossness had a starring role – it was there that huge steam-powered engines pumped the sewage up from the sewers and released it untreated into the river. ...

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Bit Grose

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:38pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:35pm:

Quote:

That's only because the Ganges is not in the UK. I was in the UK 1977-1979 and the Thames was still a dirty dumping ground with garbage lining the banks.

"In 1957, the Natural History Museum declared the Thames biologically dead. News reports from that era describe it as a vast, foul-smelling drain."

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20151111-how-the-river-thames-was-brought-back-fr...
"Even the sewage problem has not been completely solved. Heavy rainfall typically overburdens London's creaking sewers, and the excess – rainwater mixed with sewage – is discharged into the river to prevent floods in the city."

There were a lot more nasty things in English rivers.

Quote:
... In the 1800s, London’s river Thames was being used as a dumping ground for everything (and I mean, everything) produced in the city. 1858 brought with it a surprisingly hot summer, but this was not a cause for joyful celebration. The river, smothered in rotting food, animal carcasses and feces, began to smell so badly that the city literally ground to a halt. The period now known as The Great Stink was only confined to the history books when engineers, led by Joseph Bazalgette, built London’s extensive underground sewer network to transport the waste away from the city. And Crossness had a starring role – it was there that huge steam-powered engines pumped the sewage up from the sewers and released it untreated into the river. ...

The Thames today is cleaner than it was in the 19th century when it was the Ganges of Great Britain.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 9:42pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:56pm:
Jasin wrote on Apr 25th, 2019 at 8:33pm:

There was a recycled sewerage treatment that was being used as fertiliser for Sydney region farming. Apparently, the soils that were near useless were fertilised with this manure, and the soil had regenerated to excellent condition within a year of fertilisation.

Oh mark my word. The sewage treatment did accelerate the growth, there were a lot of 'bio' in that. But the bacteria was just too intense and thus customers got sick fast.
What good is to a Farmer if he makes his crops grow from nothing - but they are not edible?
How crap are those Farmers for 'sterilising' their soils with chemicals?
Why couldn't they reinvigorate their soil quality with worms and Trees (to shade the worms)??

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print