Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Status of Australian Fish Stocks Reports (Read 4818 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Status of Australian Fish Stocks Reports
Apr 21st, 2019 at 8:05am

The Status of Australian Fish Stocks Reports brings together available biological, catch and effort information to determine the status of Australia’s key wild catch fish stocks. As of July 2018, SAFS summary information is used to inform the United Nations Sustainability Goals

http://fish.gov.au/

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Status of Australian Fish Stocks Reports
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 10:54am

I noticed in 2013, the NSW government raised the legal size of mulloway from 45cm...45cm! No wonder the species is classified as depleted in New South.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 4:53pm

I sometimes wonder these days, if the Recreational impact is just as hard on Aquatic life as Commercial once was.

Every holiday period along the coastline where I have lived, I see 'heaps' of Recreational Spearos and they all 'hammer' a number of spots heavily.

Take Currarong just north of Jervis Bay.
I remember many many years ago, as a Diver - that it was pretty well habitated by lots of fish.
But now - its an empty place.
I remember seeing a dead Kingfish, having been speared, just lying on the sandy bottom - dead.
When I was last at Currarong 2 years back, I passed x20 'groups' of Spearos (Holidayers) in regards to that spot.
Besides Chinese paying people to spear certain 'illegal' species for them, while they hang around certain 'hot spots'.
I would often see young 'kids' 10+ years old, carrying spearguns (no cork or cap on the barbed end) around and they just shoot anything and everything they can.

Basically, the shops will sell anything to anyone.

Spearfishing is an open circus. All you need is a Fishing Licence and bobs your uncle.

In New Zealand...
The Spearfishing Industry has taken a more responsible action of 'education' to all Spearos - be they pros, amateurs or just holidayers.
Basically, if some Holidayer wants to try spearfishing and buys a speargun - he/she is then forced to attend Educational Lectures, given strict guideline and advice on 'conservatism' and more. In other words - they are forced to take seriously spearfishing and think about what they are about to do.
New Zealand Spearfishing are the ones who clicked on the fact that when a place is hammered by either Spearfishing or Surface Fishing, 50% of the fish 'just leave' anyway. Seeing other fish dying, tends to stress all other fish out and they leave.
Spearos in NZ now 'rotate' areas and zone off the areas hit, to recuperate.

Australia is a lost cause when any joe-blow can buy a speargun, jump in the water and just fire away at anything, although might just bring back legal sizes. But there are many who 'shoot' not to eat - but to have 'recreational' fun. Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 5:56pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 10:54am:
I noticed in 2013, the NSW government raised the legal size of mulloway from 45cm...45cm! No wonder the species is classified as depleted in New South.

Bloody jews.

IBI

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 10:03pm

Somewhere there is a comparison of recreational vs commercial catch. I think for four species the recreational catch was higher. Can't remember any more details.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2019 at 6:17pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 21st, 2019 at 10:54am:

It was raised form 45cm to 70cm and the bag limit was dropped from 5 to 2. Recently it has been dropped to 1. I don't understand your statement 'No wonder the species is classified as depleted in New South'. These restriction are designed to help in the recovery of mulloway.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2019 at 6:40pm

The point I'm making is that there's no wonder the species is stuffed given that soapies a mere 45cm were being netted. What sort of asshole would keep a 45cm Jew?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 1st, 2019 at 6:44pm

Mr Hammer wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 6:40pm:
The point I'm making is that there's no wonder the species is stuffed given that soapies a mere 45cm were being netted. What sort of asshole would keep a 45cm Jew?

the chinese don't throw anything back Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2019 at 6:54am

There are lot of other restrictions besides size limits. In hindsight the level of fishing wasn't sustainable. If the current restrictions don't work then the next step will be to make them rec only. Also it is possible to have a bag limit of less than one per day using a tag system.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2019 at 7:03am

pjb05 wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 6:54am:

There are lot of other restrictions besides size limits. In hindsight the level of fishing wasn't sustainable. If the current restrictions don't work then the next step will be to make them rec only. Also it is possible to have a bag limit of less than one per day using a tag system.

Bewdy! Bumhole the recreational angler because conglomerates rape the ocean 20kms offshore.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2019 at 8:08am

Mr Hammer wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 7:03am:
pjb05 wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 6:54am:

Bewdy! Bumhole the recreational angler because conglomerates rape the ocean 20kms offshore.

How is making mulloway rec only 'bumholeing' them?What 'conglomerates' are you talking about? Also mulloway aren't found 20km offshore and that is Commonwealth waters. No solely Commonwealth managed fish stock is subject to overfishing - so you can't get anything right.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2019 at 4:10am

Who are you paid by, dumb ass? Drag liners dont' need to be netting pelagics to f.u.c.k entire species. Wiping out the schools of bait fish will do the trick, won"t it Einstein. You don't fool me, schill.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2019 at 7:05am

Mr Hammer wrote on May 3rd, 2019 at 4:10am:
Who are you paid by, dumb ass? Drag liners dont' need to be netting pelagics to f.u.c.k entire species. Wiping out the schools of bait fish will do the trick, won"t it Einstein. You don't fool me, schill.

If you are referring to the super trawler (which has gone) it was leased by an Australian fishing company, not a 'conglomerate'. And the bait fish they were after were not the significant prey of mulloway which are an estuary/ inshore species with a diverse diet. And the other small pelagic fishery (pilchards in our southern waters) has been taking more for years from a smaller area and this has not stopped the resurgence of southern bluefin in the same area.

Give up yet or are you just going to unleash more abuse?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:49am

Mulloway are easy to hit via Spearfishing.
They usually hang in the same spots 'available' to them, gutters and nooks. There are only a 'few' spots that Molloway gather in the areas where I've speared. Along with other 'locals' in the know - these 'spots' are usually 'empty' within a year.
One spot had 20 Mulloway (over 1m), after I speared my 5th one a few months later - there was 'none' left in that spot.
Line Fishermen too, hover over Mulloway spots.
Only the possibility of 'new' Mulloway filling in the niche left for the 'dinner' ones previously, allows for another 'attack' next year.

Areas heavily impacted by High Recreational Fishermen/Spearos - do not last to any quality or quantity.
I know of at least 10 Mulloway 'hotspots' that have been known for decades as reliable. But this year - nothing at any of the spots. Recreational is becoming 'too popular', from 'too many people' doing it now.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #14 - May 3rd, 2019 at 11:53am

Killing fish is 'recreational', a 'sport'.

Just imagine real sports cricket and football perverted and played with spearguns on the field.

The final word. Spearfishing is an act of bloodlust, cruelty, torture and death practised by depraved people.

"Mankind’s bloodlust for fishing and hunting is an anachronistic vacuous cruel motivator and activity."

https://crimsonpublishers.com/rmes/fulltext/RMES.000629.php

Quote:
... In the 21st century, all too often exploitation of scientific knowledge and misguided engineering practices are used by biological morons and scientific retards for short term gain ignoring the long-term pain. Mankind’s bloodlust for fishing and hunting is an anachronistic vacuous cruel motivator and activity. ...
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2019 at 12:02pm by Laugh till you cry »  

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print