Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Was this always the case? (Read 5423 times)
SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Was this always the case?
Apr 20th, 2019 at 9:42am

When I first joined the site, it seemed like a more open and less moderated forum than some of the more heavily moderated sites I'd been a part of before.

There was some actual exchange of ideas.  I was exposed to a lot of not only the opinions of those who differed from mine, but why they felt that way.  It was eye-opening.

But now so much of the content from posters seems directly lifted from reddit, 4chan and 8chan, especially in certain subforums.  It seems normal to attack posted rather than their posts and blatantly lie about what they've said in the past.

Was the site always an alt-right heaven, here at home, where the facts don't matter as long as you can post more than the other people? 

Did I just not see it because, in the beginning, it seemed like such a welcomed breath of fresh air with the soft touch moderation and anti-PC nature of the place?

Or is that just the way of the world now, memes and like opinions are more important than the truth and factual, well-researched information?

It used to be more enjoyable and dare I say even educational the exchanges that happened on here.  Now it's all just conspiracy, cherry picking, personal attacks, trolling and lies. 

I don't care as much about the racism and sexism anymore, it seems that was always the foundation of this place but it took me a while to realise that, that's on me for assuming the good in others...

Do people actually believe things like the California wildfires were caused by space lasers to clear the path a high-speed rail line to allow the 'elites' to more easily smuggle children to terrorise, sexually abuse and murder to increase the levels of adrenochrome in their blood in order to harvest it to unnaturally extend their lives with Hillary not only being a major participant in the abuse but also a recipient of the adrenochrome and the reason her health was taking a hit during the campaign was because Trump even as a candidate was already saving children and cutting her supply and her fall etc was just part of the withdrawals and her age catching up with her?

Like surely that's just people larping and trolling, but there are so many people here doing that.

What happened!?

Was this place always like this, or is this a recent change?

Am I just fondly remembering the beginning when I joined?

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Was this always the case?
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 9:46am

I reckon the moderation here is screwed up.

Nonsense deletions of  posts with "rude words" ... but hate speech and outright incitement to murder and egging on suicide are left untouched.  Shocked

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 11:10am

hate speech and outright incitement to murder and egging on suicide

Where?

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 11:12am

Borce Ristevski sentencing ...

out there -- real world

encouragement to murder, encouragement by the legal system

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 11:23am

PZ547 wrote on Apr 20th, 2019 at 11:10am:
hate speech and outright incitement to murder and egging on suicide

Where?

I can provide links to some examples.

I have notified the mods about some in the past.

Now, I realise that it takes some effort to moderate on the thought behind a post, and that simply nuking a post if a "rude word" is in the post is far easier ... when someone notifies the mods of a clearly outrageous post such as inciting murder, or egging on suicide ... one wonders what motivates the mods when no action is taken?

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 7:08pm

The Sadly Kangyroo is shocked after entering the reality show. Had a sheltered life ?

Look at what goes on in Parliament. Sheer brutality.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2019 at 8:50pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Apr 20th, 2019 at 9:46am:
I reckon the moderation here is screwed up.

Nonsense deletions of  posts with "rude words" ... but hate speech and outright incitement to murder and egging on suicide are left untouched.  Shocked

well said

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2019 at 9:07am

SadKangaroo wrote on Apr 20th, 2019 at 9:42am:
When I first joined the site, it seemed like a more open and less moderated forum than some of the more heavily moderated sites I'd been a part of before.

There was some actual exchange of ideas.  I was exposed to a lot of not only the opinions of those who differed from mine, but why they felt that way.  It was eye-opening.

But now so much of the content from posters seems directly lifted from reddit, 4chan and 8chan, especially in certain subforums.  It seems normal to attack posted rather than their posts and blatantly lie about what they've said in the past.

Was the site always an alt-right heaven, here at home, where the facts don't matter as long as you can post more than the other people? 

Did I just not see it because, in the beginning, it seemed like such a welcomed breath of fresh air with the soft touch moderation and anti-PC nature of the place?

Or is that just the way of the world now, memes and like opinions are more important than the truth and factual, well-researched information?

It used to be more enjoyable and dare I say even educational the exchanges that happened on here.  Now it's all just conspiracy, cherry picking, personal attacks, trolling and lies. 

I don't care as much about the racism and sexism anymore, it seems that was always the foundation of this place but it took me a while to realise that, that's on me for assuming the good in others...

Do people actually believe things like the California wildfires were caused by space lasers to clear the path a high-speed rail line to allow the 'elites' to more easily smuggle children to terrorise, sexually abuse and murder to increase the levels of adrenochrome in their blood in order to harvest it to unnaturally extend their lives with Hillary not only being a major participant in the abuse but also a recipient of the adrenochrome and the reason her health was taking a hit during the campaign was because Trump even as a candidate was already saving children and cutting her supply and her fall etc was just part of the withdrawals and her age catching up with her?

Like surely that's just people larping and trolling, but there are so many people here doing that.

What happened!?

Was this place always like this, or is this a recent change?

Am I just fondly remembering the beginning when I joined?

Can you give some examples of lifting content?

Your experience here is largely a function of who you choose to engage with. If you engage with idiots, you will be surrounded by idiots. All the time. It's hard to tell if the forum as a whole has changed. I suspect that as people get bored with talking to the same people they lower their standards, then complain that the forum is going downhill.

I don't think we have ever banned "hate speech".

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 6:17pm

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2019 at 9:07am:

Any rules on racism, FD?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Mary Black

Reply #9 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 7:05pm

mothra wrote on Aug 2nd, 2019 at 6:17pm:

Any rules on racism, FD?

Why? Calling people Dole Bludgers is not racism.  Islam is a Religion nor a race. Having a go at Aboriginals is racism, provided that they are the "coloured" ones, not the whities who claim aboriginality. Wink

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #10 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 8:25pm

Any rules on racism, FD?

You mean like Mimo calling me a racist for saying something about short arsed Italians? It seems everyone has their view on what racism is right down to Brian who claims there are no races. If we are to take that point of view, there can be no racism, just manufactured name calling.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 8:41pm

Setanta wrote on Aug 2nd, 2019 at 8:25pm:

Any rules on racism, FD?

You mean like Mimo calling me a racist for saying something about short arsed Italians? It seems everyone has their view on what racism is right down to Brian who claims there are no races. If we are to take that point of view, there can be no racism, just manufactured name calling.

Cute. But neither realistic or helpful.

Is there a rule on racism?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #12 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 8:42pm

mothra wrote on Aug 2nd, 2019 at 8:41pm:

Any rules on racism, FD?

Is there such a thing?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 8:55pm

Setanta wrote on Aug 2nd, 2019 at 8:42pm:

Any rules on racism, FD?

Is there such a thing?

I would imagine the parameters for acceptable dialogue are expressed in any rule, should there be one.

So, is there a rule on racism?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #14 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 9:05pm

mothra wrote on Aug 2nd, 2019 at 8:55pm:
Setanta wrote on Aug 2nd, 2019 at 8:42pm:

Any rules on racism, FD?

Is there such a thing?

I would imagine the parameters for acceptable dialogue are expressed in any rule, should there be one.

So, is there a rule on racism?

What is your definition of racism?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print