Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Indonesian election (Read 3967 times)
rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Indonesian election
Apr 15th, 2019 at 6:47pm

I have recently returned from a short trip to Indonesia, I was able to travel to some remote parts of Indo. Their general election is on the 18th and the campaigning is intense, 24 hour news channels devoted entirely to the election and political advertising is everywhere, the contest is between Jokowi who has chosen a fundamentalist cleric as his running mate and Prabowo who has the support of the radical Muslims. Not looking good, both are courting the Islamic vote and it looks like a contest to see who can go as fundamentalist as possible, this is a disaster for Indonesia. I have noticed the minorities being squeezed out of government jobs in the last few years, hijabs were rare 10 years ago, now almost all females wear them. They know gaining employment without wearing the hijab isnt going to happen. Indonesia has a significant Christian minority and discrimination is now commonplace. The military are being actively promoted as the leaders of the nation and "friends " of the people.  Suharto used the military as a police force to enforce his dictatorship however he kept the fundamentalists in line, now they have a very strong voice which is increasingly anti Western and anti Christian.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Indonesian election
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 6:55pm

Gandalf's "exemplar" Muslim majority nation.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 8:43pm

I cannot think of a single example of an majority Muslim country where Islam does not impede progress. This radical version of Islam coming from the middle east s spreading everywhere, Saudi money is building a huge amount of Madrassas and Mosques in Indonesia, a lot of this is occurring in what previously used to be majority Christian areas, I believe this is a deliberate tactic. We need to cease all Islamic immigration into this country immediately, this is a regressive culture we are dealing with.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 5:42am

Quote:
Now, Indonesia's election supervisory body, Bawaslu, has recommended a rerun of 319,000 pre-poll postal votes cast during pre-polling in Kuala Lumpur.

It followed the discovery of tens of thousands of ballot papers in a Malaysian warehouse, that were pre-marked for the incumbent President Joko Widodo.

Bawaslu officials also recommended the dismissal of two senior election officials in Malaysia over an undisclosed "conflict of interest

Quote:
Editor’s note: The opinions in this article are the author’s, as published by our content partner, and do not represent the views of MSN or Microsoft

LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 10:56am

A timely reminder that if ever Indonesia decided to invade ... we would all be toast. The numbers are vast.  Shocked

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 11:06am

Captain Nemo wrote on Apr 17th, 2019 at 10:56am:
A timely reminder that if ever Indonesia decided to invade ... we would all be toast. The numbers are vast.  Shocked

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 11:14am

Grin

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 11:45am

Indonesia has consistently had a higher GDP growth rate than Australia over the last 40 years despite the absence of equal mineral wealth.

Since 1980 Indonesia's GDP/Capita increased 3.5x compared to Australia's 2.6x.

Indonesia's GDP/Capita PPP is still rising while Australia's has flattened out as costs and prices in Australia rise faster than wages.

If this is the result of Islamic policies Australia should rush some Indonesian economic experts over here.

https://tradingeconomics.com/indonesia/gdp-per-capita

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 12:44pm

If you start at zero, you can double your GDP every year, forever.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 12:48pm

freediver wrote on Apr 17th, 2019 at 12:44pm:

Isn't that how closet pom Australia started? Why is it still not doubling every year?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 9:24pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Apr 17th, 2019 at 12:48pm:

Isn't that how closet pom Australia started? Why is it still not doubling every year?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 9:25pm

Indonesia would collapse if the Bali tourist trade died out (other than in a bar explosion that is)...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 11:57pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 17th, 2019 at 9:25pm:

Indonesia would collapse if the Bali tourist trade died out (other than in a bar explosion that is)...

Very unlikely. You wear your ignorance as a badge.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 12:53am

Random stats copy/paste

In 2016, Australia gave Indonesia $375.7 million

1% of Indonesia's population have 49.3% of the country's $1.8 trillion wealth, down from 53.5%, according to Wiki

A report on inequality in Indonesia says its four richest men now have more wealth than 100 million of the country's poorest people.

The investment returns on the wealth of just one of the four richest, which according to the Forbes rich list include cigarette tycoons Budi Hartono, Michael Hartono and Susilo Wonowidjojo, would eliminate extreme poverty in a year. (pretty stunning, huh)

Indonesian policymakers have flaunted their ability to weather uncertainty as a result of the trade war and monetary tightening in developed markets. However, they were shocked to realize the startling US$8.57 billion trade deficit in 2018, the highest since 1975. (and that's from the Jakarta Post)

and here is one of the comments re: the article:

Quote:
And now the chickens are coming home to roost. An English saying, meaning that a whole list of wrongs and stupidities have collected, and now there is too much to be ignored. Decades of underfunding the education-system means too few sensible graduates; underfunding and deprecation of science, technology, medicine and basic research; decades of idiotic politics favouring massive funding for Islamist agendas rendering a population incapable of thought, analysis, criticism or mental agility. Ideological top-down governmental thumbscrews and micro-managing of the economy, couple with malign corrupt dictators in power. Even now, Jokowi is in bed with fundamentalist Islamist terrorists who despise Indonesia for not being returning to 7th century medieval thought-processes yet, and hell-bent on fixing that, through extreme violence and intimidation

Indonesia's third quarter GDP growth slows as consumer, export sectors struggle

JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesia’s economic growth slowed in the third quarter, losing momentum from the previous three months and pointing to tougher conditions for the Southeast Asian economy, which has struggled with capital outflows and weaker exports and household spending.

The slowdown was largely due to softer household consumption in the third quarter and a negative contribution from foreign trade.
Although the expansion was a notch faster than expected, economists warn growth may weaken further.

The rupiah IDR= is down around 9 percent this year, making it the second worst performing currency among emerging Asian markets.

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #14 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 8:06am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 17th, 2019 at 9:25pm:

Not likely.

I understand Indonesia is a major exporter of oil, and has substantial reserves.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print