Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why should Melissa Parke have to quit? (Read 3584 times)
Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Why should Melissa Parke have to quit?
Apr 13th, 2019 at 8:35am

Why should Melissa Parke have to quit? Her comments seem eminently accurate.   Huh

Not that Labor was likely to win the seat, but Parke ought have been free to run for it.

Melissa Parke quits as Labor's Curtin 'star candidate' over Israel remarks

By Nathan Hondros
April 12, 2019 — 8.11 pm

Labor's star candidate for Julie Bishop's seat of Curtin quit on Friday night after the party entered into crisis talks over remarks she made about the Israel and Palestine conflict.

It is understood Melissa Parke withdrew her candidacy after reports she told a group of pro-Palestinian activists last month that Australia should recognise a Palestinian state and that Israel's settlements were akin to China's island building activity in the South China Sea.

Labor's candidate for Curtin Melissa Parke has raised the ire of the Jewish community with her strident support for Palestine.CREDIT:MARINA NEIL

In the speech she also took aim at Israel's influence in Australian politics and said there was no doubt Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel, while illegal under international law, were "a reaction to and a consequence of decades of brutal occupation".

Ms Parke made unverified claims about incidents of cruelty she said had been perpetrated by Israelis at checkpoints.

"One case I remember vividly, a pregnant refugee woman was ordered at a checkpoint in Gaza to drink a bottle of bleach," she said.

"It burnt out all her throat and insides. Fortunately her baby was saved.

"Another refugee was forced to put her baby through the X-ray machine."

Despite claiming she supported current Labor policy on Israel and Palestine earlier this week, on Friday night Ms Parke said she would quit the race so her views wouldn't be a distraction.

"I've had 20 years experience in international relations and law including living and working in the Middle East," she said

"My views are well known.

"But I don’t want them to be a running distraction from electing a Labor Government, which will take urgent and strong action on climate change.

"That’s why I have decided to withdraw my candidacy.

"I look forward to working and supporting the party in other ways."

The remarks have been widely circulated throughout Jewish communities on the east coast and it is understood Victorian Labor are particularly concerned about the seat of Macnamara, which has a large number of Jewish voters and which will be vacated by retiring MP Michael Danby.

"There are already 137 nations that recognise the state of Palestine, that is more than 70 per cent of the world," Ms Parke said to a meeting of the WA Labor Friends of Palestine in March.

"And, inshallah [Arabic for 'God willing'], Australia will join that consensus once we have a Federal Labor government.

"It's also time finally for Australia to support an end to the brutal occupation of Palestine and for the right of return of the Palestinian refugees."

Ms Parke, a former lawyer for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in Gaza, said Australia had to break away from its "strategic dependence" on the United States and recognise Palestine as a state, which is contrary to Labor policy.

WAtoday also revealed earlier this week WA Labor senator and Senate Deputy President Sue Lines told the same meeting of pro-Palestinian activists that a powerful "Israel lobby" had been influencing her party's policy on Palestine and peace in the Middle East.

Senator Lines said policy in the area had stalled because "the Israeli lobby is so powerful within the party and outside of the party".

Labor had been looking to draw Liberal resources to the seat of Curtin in WA through Ms Parke's high-profile candidacy after the retirement of Ms Bishop.

Curtin, which the Liberals hold by a margin of 20.7 per cent, is one of the safest in the country, but sources have suggested the selection of conservative Celia Hammond and the retirement of the Ms Bishop could reduce the party's margin.

Ms Parke was a human rights lawyer before entering Parliament in 2007 and a junior minister for several months before Kevin Rudd lost office in 2013.

She was a strident critic of the offshore detention of asylum seekers and delivered several speeches excoriating the Coalition's "stop the boats" politics, even denouncing her own party for its support of the government's immigration policies.

In her outgoing speech in 2016, she said the government "falsely accuses asylum seekers of arriving illegally when, as observed by the United Nations and the Australian Human Rights Commission among others, it is Australia that is violating its legal obligations".

https://www.theage.com.au/federal-election-2019/melissa-parke-quits-as-labor-s-c...

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Why should Melissa Parke have to quit?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 8:45am

I can't fault her comments. However while the Jews control the money. The money controls the candidates.
Such is life.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 8:49am

Yeah, sad but true.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 10:00am

Too much foreign influence.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 10:09am

While ever non-Jews control the conspiracy theory industry Israel will always be in the wrong...

When are the Pallies going to stop rocketing and such?  You expect Israel to withdraw from a buffer zone, and just allow rockets to hit anywhere?  You reckon Israel withdrawing from occupied territories will mean a reduction in Palestinian attacks and not an escalation?  When has appeasement ever worked?

You're crazy.....

Go live with the Palestinians.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 10:10am

Because she's an empty mouth-piece for every piece of idiocy that passes for public policy these days???

What else does she support (as if we didn't know?) ....  Roll Eyes

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 10:20am

everyone knows    when you join the ALP   you are not allowed to have your own opinion...

you get the sack.. Roll Eyes.. she didnt quit  she was pushed.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 10:55am

cods wrote on Apr 13th, 2019 at 10:20am:
everyone knows    when you join the ALP   you are not allowed to have your own opinion...

have you had your head in the sand for all of the past 7 years? Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 1:12pm

She's right,  how the Jews get around like protected species is truly breath taking

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 2:40pm

Its time wrote on Apr 13th, 2019 at 1:12pm:
She's right,  how the Jews get around like protected species is truly breath taking

You serious? 

― John Adams

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 4:39pm

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1555115008

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

macman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

australia
Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 7:51pm

Do you have proof of this Codsy. I believe she found her position over Israel too far removed from labor and quit. However, if you post some evidence to back up your claim, I would like to see it. Wink Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2019 at 10:46pm

With the growing influence of people like Melissa Parke elected to parliaments, pity Australia, and pity the world.

She has a strike through her name.

But there a plenty more like her.

Pity the world.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 7:36am

Captain Nemo wrote on Apr 13th, 2019 at 8:35am:
Why should Melissa Parke have to quit? Her comments seem eminently accurate.   Huh

...."There are already 137 nations that recognise the state of Palestine, that is more than 70 per cent of the world," Ms Parke said to a meeting of the WA Labor Friends of Palestine in March.

"And, inshallah [Arabic for 'God willing'], Australia will join that consensus once we have a Federal Labor government.

"It's also time finally for Australia to support an end to the brutal occupation of Palestine and for the right of return of the Palestinian refugees."

Ms Parke, a former lawyer for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in Gaza, said Australia had to break away from its "strategic dependence" on the United States and recognise Palestine as a state, which is contrary to Labor policy.

ISLAMISTS and 'Progressives'       they do not have much in common, except a hatred for Israel.

Their common 'currency' in this world,     is that they belong to a cabal of peoples who hate what is good, and who hate the GOD of creation, the God of Jacob.

A modern rendition, of those who had loyalties to the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Those who work for, and serve, a dark spiritual force in the earth.

IMAGE.....

"Abdullah my brother, the Jews have take our land, and we are a homeless people.
WAIL! WAIL! WAIL!

Those dastardly Zionists!!

We want our land back."

Isaiah 43:1
But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
2  When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
3  For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: I gave Egypt for thy ransom, Ethiopia and Seba for thee.
4  Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life.
5  Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west;
I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth;
7  Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

Jeremiah 16:14
Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that it shall no more be said, The LORD liveth, that brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt;
15  But, The LORD liveth, that brought up the children of Israel from the land of the north, and from all the lands whither he had driven them: and I will bring them again into their land that I gave unto their fathers.

Jeremiah 23:6
In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
7  Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that they shall no more say, The LORD liveth, which brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt;
8  But, The LORD liveth, which brought up and which led the seed of the house of Israel out of the north country, and from all countries whither I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 10:12am

Bob Carr only spoke a fraction of his opinions after his retirement, when he said in his memoirs that jews had an inordinate level of influence in Australian politics

and Carr is a jew

And Julia Irwin, Labor MP was finished when she said basically the same thing in parliament.  To a man, the entire gang, all parties, stood to boo her with thumbs pointed downwards, ala Roman style.  I was surprised she didn't reap a sudden accident or fatal disease

In this country (and elsewhere) people can talk chit about any nature/culture

but we cannot honestly voice an opinion about izrahell -- not even in Oz politics

Melissa Parke knows this.  Maybe she has kids and wants them to reach 21 and doesn't want her dog to die or her house to burn down

And here's Julia Irwin -- should be glorious Julia -- for speaking the truth, which is apparently 'offensive' and 'anti-semitic':

Quote:
"
You have taken on the most implacable, arrogant, cruel and powerful lobby in the country." -- media warning to Australia Labour Member of Parliament

A scathing attack on "the Jewish lobby" was launched by Australian Federal Labor MP Julia Irwin.

She charged "the Jewish lobby" with being responsible for a "code of silence" forbidding parliamentary debate on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
, and quoted an email from an unnamed "senior media commentator" warning her: "You have taken on the most implacable, arrogant, cruel and powerful lobby in the country", and advising that she would be "singled out for vilification and, if possible, political destruction".

Asked why the commentator she quoted was anonymous, Irwin told the Australian Jewish News
she had promised not to reveal the name because the commentator had "felt the full force of the Jewish lobby's fury a long time ago and had gone through hell".

"Anyone speaking or writing publicly on the Middle East can expect to be subjected to personal attacks and to have assumptions made about their reasons for raising the issue," she said.

Irwin -- who moved a private member's motion attacking Israel's occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip, leading to a vociferous debate -- told Federal Parliament she believed her motion had broken a taboo on discussing the conflict.

She said she had received "hundreds of messages", mostly attacking her, following the extensive media coverage of her motion, the debate it provoked and the attempt by fellow-Labor (and Jewish) MP Michael Danby to have the motion withdrawn.

Her attack brought a swift response from Executive Council of Australian Jewry president Jeremy Jones, who accused Irwin of "conjuring up the bogeyman of a powerful Jewish lobby [that] might appeal to antisemites, but certainly not to any reasonable observer".

"She is acting to protect herself from the criticism she deserves," Jones said. "She puts her ignorance [on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict] on display and then complains about people who might point out her ignorance. "This would be pathetic if it was not coming from a member of parliament."

South Australian Liberal MP Chris Pyne, chairman of the parliament's Israel friendship group, (no such Islamic lobby exists in australia despite thouands of Muslims living there and hundreds of mosques) said Irwin's comments, like her motion, were "simplistic and embarrassingly naive".

Danby dismissed Irwin's comments as uninformed, misleading and unimportant.

He said Labor's policy was clear: it supported Israel and its right to exist and right to defend itself, and unreservedly condemned suicide bombings. Hundreds of party activists have lodged a complaint against the MP applying enormous pressure for her de-selection.

Liberal MP Peter King, who represents the Sydney seat of Wentworth, said Irwin had placed on the parliament "a despicable slur about Australia's Jewish community". He said Opposition Leader Simon Crean could not continue to ignore such attacks from within Labor ranks and should immediately repudiate them.

Irwin, speaking in the House of Representatives "Grievance debate", when backbenchers have 10 minutes each to raise matters of concern, said she felt "the taboo on discussing the issue in this parliament has been broken"

LINK

O'Farrell must have had to bend-over for most of his Premiership, if the number of high-teas held for the Jewish Council is any indication

And Michael Danby MP is the guy you can thank for the Africans now in Australia

LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print