Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Stating the Obvious (Read 32892 times)
Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Stating the Obvious
Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:20am

Stating the obvious could be viewed as being "negative" dialogue. Opportunities to say something constructive and more informative are lost, and stating the obvious often means policies are not thoroughly thought out and the pressure of an interview brings out clichés and statements that seem more than obvious to the audience, they're not only a waste of oxygen, they can also be vote losers

It's an easy way out when the interviewee is suffering brain fade and can't sustain intelligent dialogue.

Partisanship of course knows no "negatives", only "positives" from their particular group's dynamics, but for neutral spectators observing from the sidelines, watching people state the obvious is hilarious and only lowers the status of interviewee

I'll start the list ... I'll add to it as I hear them, or add some from the recent past as I find them

Andrew Constance (NSW Lib) - "Ferries are ferries, they are for ferrying people across the harbour"

Bill Shorten (Fed Labor) - "Cancer makes you sick"

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Re: Stating the Obvious
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 12:56pm

Sounds like 'pearls of wisdom' boofhead would come out with........ Grin

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 1:25pm

Chris Bowen (Fed Labor) - "Many people suffering cancer have had to reduce their hours of work, or give up work entirely"

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 6:24pm

Damian Beaufils (Border Force, not a politician) - "Drugs are basically a poison and people are buying the stuff and using it"

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 6:26pm

Muslims are wankers.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 6:28pm

Donald Trump lies.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 7:39pm

5 days ago - Peanut Man was here.
But now he's gone.
(public toilet door back in the 70's of Mt Druitt)

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2019 at 8:04pm

Charlie Bezzina (former Vic detective) - "It's gotta stop" - (re: black African gangs stealing mobile phones)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 6:32pm

Adam Whyte (Commander New South Wales Police) "It's unacceptable behavior" (re: black Africans attempting to steal mobile phones at a Casula store)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2019 at 2:43pm

Barbara Crowe (Education Department director)

"This was not acceptable and would have been an unpleasant experience for [the boy]"

(re: Jewish boy, taunted by group of muslim boys, told to kiss muslim boy's shoes, or else)

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 11:01am

Ok Bias. i think we can see ideologically where you are heading with this.

It has always struck me as slightly ridiculous when Police chief commissioners or police ministers lecture the public on taking more care while driving.

Quote:
A devastating four days with nine deaths on Victoria's roads is unacceptable, the state's police minister says.
Police Minister Kim Wells has joined Victoria Police to call on drivers to slow down and obey the road rules.

"Police are doing all we can to drive down the toll but we need the community's help," he said on Tuesday.
"Too many drivers are taking their lives in their hands by ignoring the risks and doing the wrong thing on the roads."
https://www.9news.com.au/national/vic-road-toll-unacceptable-kim-wells/79f0e1f1-...

Do theses lectures actually achieve anything?
I don't think I've ever heard a teenager say "The police minister said we better drive more carefully, so slow down a bit"
Or is it just the old case in politics of being seen to be doing something

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 6:12pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 6th, 2019 at 11:01am:
Ok Bias. i think we can see ideologically where you are heading with this.

It's not about ideology, it's about improving our thought processes. When we state the obvious, our thought process has come to a halt and is taken over by the first cliche that comes to mind, to alleviate hesitation in the dialogue or conversation. Hesitation is a sign of lacking knowledge, and instead of hesitating, the participant usually spurts out a cliche, and it's nearly always something we are only too aware of

Here's one that women say a lot without thinking about what they're saying - "Australia is a  wealthy nation". This is not necessarily stating the obvious but I've heard many women on TV extol it and I doubt if they even know what they are talking about.

To makes things worse, stating the obvious and cliches are thrown in our faces without reasons for, or solutions backing them up. They're off the cuff, and we're expected to consider such comments to be intelligent dialogue

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:17am

It's a common dialogue now in front of camera's because of the fear of retaliation in the form of Law Suits, disciplinary action, etc.

Just take a look at Sportsmen and what they say in interviews: its all the same. But when they think 'the Public via the Media' are not listening. They cut loose with all sorts of sledging.

Even Princess Diana was a potty mouth, when she thought no 'media' were listening in.

So 'on camera'. Everyone just states the obvious.
It's safer that way and I would too.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:37am

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 7th, 2019 at 2:11pm

Jasin wrote on Oct 7th, 2019 at 9:17am:
So 'on camera'. Everyone just states the obvious.
It's safer that way and I would too.

The more intelligent people in the community hardly ever state the obvious, if at all. They know better because making statements about issues that the populace is already aware of injects nothing new into the conversation

When a high ranking police officer or an Education official states the obvious just to be "safe" before the camera, you know they're only thinking of themselves and not being fair dinkum about critical issues facing the community

Here's a good one from the past - I once wrote to the NSW Transport Minister about Greenslips premiums being exorbitant, at the time when "gold plating" was being applied to compulsory third party insurance, getting ready for privatization of Greenslips. The Minister wrote back and in his own stupid words said: "People are killed on the roads" - How obvious was that?, what a drongo

The most ridiculous one I've heard though, was Bill Shorten's "Cancer makes you sick" - That one made him very unsafe before the camera, and he didn't say it just once, he said it numerous times, supposedly trying to convince us that cancer really does make you sick

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print