Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
carbon taxes are the best (Read 17123 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
carbon taxes are the best
Mar 26th, 2019 at 8:34am

Putting a price on greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions is the cheapest, most economically efficient way to reduce emissions. Here is a statement of consensus from economists saying the same thing:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/economics-hopeful-science.html

Carbon taxes overcome the two primary reasons for opposition to action on climate change:

1) The huge cost. Reducing GHG emissions is very cheap. What makes it expensive is government micromanagement (eg, MRETs, subsidies etc) - which makes about as much sense as asking the government to make and sell computers to us. There are simple ways to reduce emissions that people understand, the government can implement, and which have popular support. But they are the most expensive options. The cheap ways to reduce emissions are technically complex and beyond the reach of direct government intervention.

2) International cooperation. The currently preferred global mechanism is an emissions permit trading scheme. However this requires the creation of what is essentially a global currency, and it requires trust that all foreign governments will manage it correctly. That is a huge, and largely undeserved leap of faith. It also requires massive direct transfers of money between countries, which makes negotiations impossible. The alternative is a minimum agreed tax on GHG emissions. This is far simpler. Each country keeps it's own revenue, raised internally, and gets to "spend" it internally, for example by reducing other taxes.

All it takes is for people to get over their emotional over-reaction to the T word.

More info:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/green-tax-shift.html

I will be giving my first preference votes in both houses in the upcoming federal election to whichever party has the balls to publicly support carbon taxes. Malcolm Turnbull, Julia Gillard and Bob Brown have all publicly supported carbon taxes in the past. John Howard has supported and emissions trading scheme, which is the next best option from an economic perspective.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

BigP
Gold Member

Australian Politics

West Auckland
Re: carbon taxes are the best
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 8:53am

I could support a carbon tax, But I would need to know exactly where the tax dollars were going, My preference would be that they go into the development of green tech,,

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 10:39am

I'm still waiting for my $550 refund on my power bill when Abort abolished the carbon tax Cheesy LOL

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 5:41pm

"European Union leaders on Friday pushed back a decision on the bloc’s long-term efforts to fight climate change, with some countries opposing a pledge to end most emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050."

https://www.apnews.com/7923b9b30574401ca09f6e79bff5cac8

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 6:39pm

BigP wrote on Mar 26th, 2019 at 8:53am:
I could support a carbon tax, But I would need to know exactly where the tax dollars were going, My preference would be that they go into the development of green tech,,

Why not use them to reduce other taxes? Their intended environmental benefit does not come from the revenue raised, but from the increase in price they cause. Using them to fund green tech would just offset a very economically efficient environmental policy with an expensive, wasteful one. You would give credence to claims from opponents that reducing GHG emissions harms the economy too much, and equate it with another government tax grab.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 6:51pm

Tax

It's an ancient Roman word

What it means is

We gonna taka you munny and waste it on stupidity and personal enjoyment, while tricking you poor fools into thinking it's being wisely spent.

See, quite simple eh?

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 6:59pm

Schools. Roads. Hospitals. Police.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 7:14pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2019 at 6:59pm:
Schools. Roads. Hospitals. Police.

Schools being run down and teachers teaching stupid worthless stuff
Pumping out illiterate kids who can't even add up

Roads, is that what they are
I thought they were goat tracks
I need a 4x4 just to get around in my area.

Hospitals
Oh yeah, where you go to catch a communicable desease and DIE

Finally the police
Yeah, trained by the best Keystone cop movies
Working with criminals to make Australia a more criminal place.

And we pay the highest taxes in the world for this shite.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 7:16pm

Hold on, I forgot my violin.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 7:22pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2019 at 7:16pm:
Hold on, I forgot my violin.

Ask the grubberment

They probably stole it as well.

May they all rot in hell.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2019 at 9:33pm

freediver wrote on Mar 26th, 2019 at 8:34am:
Putting a price on greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions is the cheapest, most economically efficient way to reduce emissions. Here is a statement of consensus from economists saying the same thing:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/economics-hopeful-science.html

Carbon taxes overcome the two primary reasons for opposition to action on climate change:

1) The huge cost. Reducing GHG emissions is very cheap. What makes it expensive is government micromanagement (eg, MRETs, subsidies etc) - which makes about as much sense as asking the government to make and sell computers to us. There are simple ways to reduce emissions that people understand, the government can implement, and which have popular support. But they are the most expensive options. The cheap ways to reduce emissions are technically complex and beyond the reach of direct government intervention.

2) International cooperation. The currently preferred global mechanism is an emissions permit trading scheme. However this requires the creation of what is essentially a global currency, and it requires trust that all foreign governments will manage it correctly. That is a huge, and largely undeserved leap of faith. It also requires massive direct transfers of money between countries, which makes negotiations impossible. The alternative is a minimum agreed tax on GHG emissions. This is far simpler. Each country keeps it's own revenue, raised internally, and gets to "spend" it internally, for example by reducing other taxes.

All it takes is for people to get over their emotional over-reaction to the T word.

More info:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/green-tax-shift.html

I will be giving my first preference votes in both houses in the upcoming federal election to whichever party has the balls to publicly support carbon taxes. Malcolm Turnbull, Julia Gillard and Bob Brown have all publicly supported carbon taxes in the past. John Howard has supported and emissions trading scheme, which is the next best option from an economic perspective.

What happened, FD?

Did G say we should ban Islam? Did you lose a bet? Is the "culture" war over?

Please explain.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - May 5th, 2019 at 1:28pm

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2019 at 11:48am

polite_gandalf wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 10:17am:
So I read the first three pages, and I assume the rest of the thread is the same: what started with a great topic - the benefits of pricing carbon, gets completely derailed by climate denialists rubbishing the idea of climate change itself.

So who exactly denied that climate changes? Wink

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - May 5th, 2019 at 1:30pm

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2019 at 10:17am

So I read the first three pages, and I assume the rest of the thread is the same: what started with a great topic - the benefits of pricing carbon, gets completely derailed by climate denialists rubbishing the idea of climate change itself.

Pity.

For one thing FD, I'd be interested in why you think a carbon 'tax' (by which I assume you mean a fixed price), is better than a floating price in a market-based emissions trading scheme.

I would have thought most industries would opt for the latter?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print