Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Muslim Sky News staffer quits. (Read 1097 times)
Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Muslim Sky News staffer quits.
Mar 19th, 2019 at 4:45pm

Good on her!  Cool

Muslim Sky News staffer quits and says channel increases ‘polarisation and paranoia’

Rashna Farrukh says the Christchurch massacre shows media coverage has ‘real life consequences’

A young Muslim woman says she quit her junior liaison job at Sky News after the Christchurch massacre because she felt the commentators were increasing polarisation and fear.

“Some nights I felt physically sick, others I even shed tears in my car on the way home,” Rashna Farrukh wrote for ABC online after resigning from Sky after three years. “I continued to compromise my values. Not only my values as a member of a religious group who was continuously being blamed and alienated by the rhetoric on these shows, but also as an aspiring journalist.

“I compromised my values and beliefs to stand idly by as I watched commentators and pundits instill more and more fear into their viewers.”

Sky News commentator Chris Kenny criticised the ABC for running the piece. An original version was corrected because Farrukh claimed Sky News Australia broadcast images from inside the mosque. Sky says it showed segments of the live stream but not from inside the mosque.

Farrukh listed interviews she had witnessed that had disturbed her including Cory Bernardi advocating to ban the burqa, Pauline Hanson talking about her motion “It’s OK to Be White” and Bronwyn Bishop claiming that “war” had been declared against western culture.

“I answered calls from viewers who yelled about immigrants and Muslims ruining Australia,” she said. “They did not realise that the person on the other end of the phone was both of those things.

“I stood on the other side of the studio doors while they slammed every minority group in the country – mine included – increasing polarisation and paranoia among their viewers.”

Farrukh was a casual liaison staffer for the Australian news channel’s Canberra studio in Parliament House, where she helped studio guests and assisted in the office. She said she hoped to get a fulltime job after graduating from university.

“Even as young journalists, we should act on our morals now rather than at some point in the future where we assume that we will have more of a say,” she wrote. “As we saw in Christchurch, what happens in our media can have real life consequences.”

A spokesperson for Sky News said: “We respect Rashna’s decision and wish her well with her future endeavours.

“As a news and national affairs broadcaster Sky News is committed to debate and discussion which is vital to a healthy democracy.”

The media is under pressure after the tragedy as questions are asked about giving platforms to politicians with extreme views.

The ABC has apologised for live streaming Fraser Anning’s Brisbane press conference on Facebook. The ABC News executive editor, Craig McMurtrie, said the decision not to take the press conference live on any ABC platform did not get to a social media producer who uploaded it to Facebook.

McMurtrie told Rafael Epstein on ABC Melbourne radio that it was a mistake.

The ABC decided early on Friday not to show any GoPro vision shot by the killer, but Channel Seven and Nine and Sky did show excerpts and are now being investigated by the media watchdog.

“This is a fraught area for reporting, particularly as events are unfolding and instant editorial decisions have to be made,” McMurtrie wrote. “We don’t always get it right.

“There is a legitimate debate to be had about the extent to which showing any disturbing pictures or identifying an attacker gives that person exactly what they want.

“But reporting what happened and analysing how it could have happened are clearly in the public interest. It’s what responsible journalists do – the test is whether it can be done without giving the alleged shooter the platform they crave.”

According to Media Watch, Seven and Nine also showed vision from inside the mosque at one point.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/mar/19/muslim-sky-news-staffer-quits-and-...

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Re: Muslim Sky News staffer quits.
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:26pm

Good

1 down 6000 to go

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:26pm

Mark Steyn nails is as usual.

All jihad is local, but all "Islamophobia" is global. So, if a Muslim of Afghan origin shoots up a gay nightclub in Florida and kills 49 people, that's just one crazed loner and no broader lessons can be discerned from his act. On the other hand, if a white guy shoots up two mosques in New Zealand and kills 50 people, that indicts us all, and we need to impose worldwide restraints on free speech to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm ecumenical enough to mourn the dead in both gay clubs and mosques, but I wonder why we are so conditioned to accept Islamic terror as (in the famous words of London mayor Sadiq Khan) "part and parcel of living in a big city" that it is only the exceptions to the rule that prompt
industrial-scale moral preening from politicians and media.

https://www.steynonline.com/9249/calling-out-around-the-world

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:27pm

Valkie wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:26pm:
Good

1 down 6000 to go

6,000 staff at Sky News?

Really?  Shocked

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:28pm

Frank wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:26pm:
Mark Steyn nails is as usual.

All jihad is local, but all "Islamophobia" is global. So, if a Muslim of Afghan origin shoots up a gay nightclub in Florida and kills 49 people, that's just one crazed loner and no broader lessons can be discerned from his act. On the other hand, if a white guy shoots up two mosques in New Zealand and kills 50 people, that indicts us all, and we need to impose worldwide restraints on free speech to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm ecumenical enough to mourn the dead in both gay clubs and mosques, but I wonder why we are so conditioned to accept Islamic terror as (in the famous words of London mayor Sadiq Khan) "part and parcel of living in a big city" that it is only the exceptions to the rule that prompt
industrial-scale moral preening from politicians and media.

https://www.steynonline.com/9249/calling-out-around-the-world

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:49pm

You mean it's not OK to be White?  damn - just when I was getting comfortable in my own skin and getting in touch with my inner White Guy.... now a Tinted has blown that all out the window....

Back to the White Board......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:57pm

The preening is idiotic.  Muslims now blame CHELSEA CLINTON -  yes, Bill and Hil's daughter - for Christchurch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=21&v=PaMnmgZ9zSA

The vicious insanity is palpable.

And what was the rhetoric she put out, you may ask???

Mark Steyn explains:

All poor Chelsea was doing was trying to cut herself a piece of the grief-signaling action, and suddenly she finds herself in one big unsafe space:

According to NYU student Rose Asaf, who posted the video on Twitter, students at the vigil were angry about Clinton's accusation last month that Rep Ilhan Omar, a Minnesota Democrat, used 'anti-Semitic language and tropes' while criticizing Israel...

Clinton was one of many who condemned Omar's remarks, writing in a tweet: 'We should expect all elected officials, regardless of party, and all public figures to not traffic in anti-Semitism.'

It's hate-filled Islamophobic statements like that that will get us all killed, Chelsea. Personally I blame Christchurch on Nancy Pelosi's recent House resolution condemning the Dreyfus Affair.

Madness is engulfing the world. Speaking up against antsemitism is now Islamophobia!!!!!!

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:03pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:57pm

Good, its a chance to employ an Aussie with an Aussie perspective rather than Muslims who identify as being Muslims before being Australians. Is SBS racist!

IP Logged

Dr Mengele

Australian Politics

The Fourth Reich
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:21pm

No one cares...enjoy the dole queue loser.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:24pm

Johnnie wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:57pm:
Good, its a chance to employ an Aussie with an Aussie perspective rather than Muslims who identify as being Muslims before being Australians. Is SBS racist!

Sorry ... what's the SBS got to do with this?

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:27pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:24pm:

Yeah wrong, all media are leftists.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:28pm

Johnnie wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:27pm:

Sky News is "leftist"?  Shocked

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:31pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:28pm:
Johnnie wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:27pm:

Sky News is "leftist"?  Shocked

What is it then?

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:32pm

Red-neck far right.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:34pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 6:32pm:
Red-neck far right.

I may have to retune my satellite dish.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 8:28pm

I hope the ABC offer her a job.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 11:04pm

IMAGE.....

Captain Nemo wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 4:45pm:

Muslim Sky News staffer quits and says channel increases ‘polarisation and paranoia’

Rashna Farrukh says the Christchurch massacre shows media coverage has ‘real life consequences’

"the Christchurch massacre shows....."

Q.
What about these verses from the Koran ?

"Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. "
Koran 9.29

"Fighting [against disbelievers] is prescribed for you, and [if] ye dislike it.....Allah knoweth, and ye know not."
Koran 2.216

"O ye who believe! Fight those of the disbelievers who are near to you, and let them find harshness in you, and know that Allah is with those who keep their duty (unto Him)."
Koran 9.123

Q.
Are there any ‘real life consequences’ from the followers of ISLAM, reading those Koran verses, and then choosing to act upon them ?????

Is there ?

?????

?????

?????

WWW search....
Nigeria: Muslims kill 120 Christians, destroy 140 homes in the last two weeks
By Robert Spencer on Mar 17, 2019
"120 people killed, 140 homes destroyed by Nigeria Fulani since February,"
[ < ----- this is not nearly as serious an outrage as Christchurch though.   otherwise we would have seen it reported on our evening TV news.]

WWW search....
Nigeria: Muslims attack Christian village, destroy church
"The international media only cares about these kinds of incidents when the victims are Muslims."

WWW search....
Mozambique: Muslims murder 13 villagers, destroy over 120 houses, in quest to impose Sharia
"No Muslims were killed, and so the international media will pay no attention."

WWW search....
Nigeria: Muslims murder 85 people, torch 100 homes, villagers “living in palpable fear”
By Robert Spencer on Mar 16, 2019 11:00 am
"Will the Islamophobia never end? “Herdsmen Kill 85 People in Kaduna Communities,” by John Shiklam, This Day, March 13, 2019: No fewer than 85 people have been killed....by gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen." [i.e. moslems]

WWW search....
Nigeria: Muslims murder over 20 Christians with machetes and u"fire
By Robert Spencer on Mar 15, 2019
"Fulani Militants" "have “a deliberate plan to ‘wipe out certain communities,” chief among them being the Christians of Nigeria"

Captain Nemo,      you moslems, are all evil hypocrites.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 11:19pm

@ Reply #2,

Good counter argument      Frank.

Shining a LIGHT, on the appalling mainstream bias, in the West,      towards giving a 'pass' to everything relating to 'mainstream' ISLAM.

No one in the mainstream, is willing to examine just what ISLAM promotes in the world.

Which is, deceit, murder, and mayhem.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 6:44pm

She had three shifts a fortnight with Sky.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 6:48pm

Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 7:02pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 8:28pm:
I hope the ABC offer her a job.

You would.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 7:05pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 4:45pm:
Good on her!  Cool

https://i.imgur.com/e5ozZn4.jpg

A young Muslim woman says she quit her junior liaison job at Sky News after the Christchurch massacre because she felt the commentators were increasing polarisation and fear.

“Some nights I felt physically sick, others I even shed tears in my car on the way home,” Rashna Farrukh wrote for ABC online after resigning from Sky after three years. “I continued to compromise my values. Not only my values as a member of a religious group who was continuously being blamed and alienated by the rhetoric on these shows, but also as an aspiring journalist.

“I compromised my values and beliefs to stand idly by as I watched commentators and pundits instill more and more fear into their viewers.”

Sky News commentator Chris Kenny criticised the ABC for running the piece. An original version was corrected because Farrukh claimed Sky News Australia broadcast images from inside the mosque. Sky says it showed segments of the live stream but not from inside the mosque.

Farrukh listed interviews she had witnessed that had disturbed her including Cory Bernardi advocating to ban the burqa, Pauline Hanson talking about her motion “It’s OK to Be White” and Bronwyn Bishop claiming that “war” had been declared against western culture.

“I answered calls from viewers who yelled about immigrants and Muslims ruining Australia,” she said. “They did not realise that the person on the other end of the phone was both of those things.

“I stood on the other side of the studio doors while they slammed every minority group in the country – mine included – increasing polarisation and paranoia among their viewers.”

Farrukh was a casual liaison staffer for the Australian news channel’s Canberra studio in Parliament House, where she helped studio guests and assisted in the office. She said she hoped to get a fulltime job after graduating from university.

“Even as young journalists, we should act on our morals now rather than at some point in the future where we assume that we will have more of a say,” she wrote. “As we saw in Christchurch, what happens in our media can have real life consequences.”

A spokesperson for Sky News said: “We respect Rashna’s decision and wish her well with her future endeavours.

“As a news and national affairs broadcaster Sky News is committed to debate and discussion which is vital to a healthy democracy.”

The media is under pressure after the tragedy as questions are asked about giving platforms to politicians with extreme views.

The ABC has apologised for live streaming Fraser Anning’s Brisbane press conference on Facebook. The ABC News executive editor, Craig McMurtrie, said the decision not to take the press conference live on any ABC platform did not get to a social media producer who uploaded it to Facebook.

McMurtrie told Rafael Epstein on ABC Melbourne radio that it was a mistake.

The ABC decided early on Friday not to show any GoPro vision shot by the killer, but Channel Seven and Nine and Sky did show excerpts and are now being investigated by the media watchdog.

“This is a fraught area for reporting, particularly as events are unfolding and instant editorial decisions have to be made,” McMurtrie wrote. “We don’t always get it right.

“There is a legitimate debate to be had about the extent to which showing any disturbing pictures or identifying an attacker gives that person exactly what they want.

“But reporting what happened and analysing how it could have happened are clearly in the public interest. It’s what responsible journalists do – the test is whether it can be done without giving the alleged shooter the platform they crave.”

According to Media Watch, Seven and Nine also showed vision from inside the mosque at one point.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/mar/19/muslim-sky-news-staffer-quits-and-...

She was in the wrong job.

sanitise everything because she works there?

You'd praise a fatal epidemic.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print