Send Topic Print
LNP Poison The Well (Read 1117 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
LNP Poison The Well
Mar 19th, 2019 at 7:30am

A very good article with excellent graphs and pointers that shows just how bad the LNP have been in managing Australia's economy.  Yes, Labor certainly are not white knights but read the full article and see what the next Government have been left to deal with
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"The explosion in government spending which suddenly ramped up last May will leave the incoming government buried in debt but worse, it will leave whoever wins the impending federal election tied to billions of dollars in spending commitments which never went to tender.

There have been $153 billion in “amended contracts”, or untendered contracts struck by the government between March 2016 and February this year, the bulk of it in the past ten months, and the vast bulk of that in Defence spending.

“One of the puzzling aspects of this data is the significant, sudden and sustained increase in the value of amended (untendered) contracts commencing in May-2018 when compared to any prior month,” says data expert Greg Bean who has been analysing the data over the past year.

“I’ve watched this data for the 6 months since Sept-2018, up to the latest full month being Feb-2019, curious to see if that May-Sept 2018 increase was an anomaly.

“It is now quite clear it was not.”

These amended contract values are not actual expenditure in most cases, says Bean. What they are is a commitment, under contract, to future expenditures. A commitment that the current LNP government may never have to fulfil – assuming Labor comes to power – but “will be hung around the almost certain incoming ALP government’s neck like an albatross. Contracts worth billions of dollars that will hamstring the ALP’s ability to allocate funds to those initiatives the ALP prioritises”.

The other point to make about the spending patterns is the concentration of spending in Defence on 20th century technology. The bulk of the spend is with US arms-maker Lockheed Martin for the troubled F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program.

Defence giants: the “Valley of Death” is really a Mountain of Money

There is a good chance, says Bean, the submarines, jets, helicopters, armoured cars, and other antiquated equipment will be found wanting in the modern warfare of cyberattacks and drones.

“And what a massive waste of financial resources purchasing even one jet for $200 million – 300 million that costs $100,000 an hour to fly when it can be defeated by a $20 million drone that costs only a fraction as much to operate.

Multiply that by hundreds of antiquated pieces of equipment all easily defeated by drones, including nuclear armed and powered submersible drones with unlimited range, or cyberattack as we’re now witness in Venezuela, at a fraction of the cost and one soon realises the folly of these massive military expenditures.

The other point to make about the apparently reckless binge on untendered contracts is that much of it is struck directly with corporate entities of foreign manufacturers which are domiciled offshore. This means that billions of dollars are escaping Australia’s tax net.

http//www.michaelwest.com.au/poisoning-the-well-liberal-spending-splurge-to-bury...

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: LNP Poison The Well
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 7:35am

I voted for Andrew Constance. He is a future PM.
I got the heads up in 2003 (by one of the original South African Anti-Apartheid dissidents of whom I lived with. The other two were shot before they got to Australia) that Rudd will be PM in 2007.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 7:40am

Jasin wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 7:35am:
I voted for Andrew Constance. He is a future PM.
I got the heads up in 2003 (by one of the original South African Anti-Apartheid dissidents of whom I lived with. The other two were shot before they got to Australia) that Rudd will be PM in 2007.

He was our local State member - but he's fallen into disfavour with me over Liberal policies...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 7:40am

Link is broken. Correct link is here: https://www.michaelwest.com.au/poisoning-the-well-liberal-spending-splurge-to-bu...

This chart is particularly damning for the Coalition.

It gives Labor a massive stick to beat the Coalition with. Not just during the election, not just during the first term of a Labor government. For as long as this spending remains in the Budget, Labor can blame the Coalition for this.

That's not even considering the Coalition's dubious record of tenders corruptly going to their mates. It's not for no reason that they are opposed to an anti-corruption commission having retrospective powers. How much of this massive increase in spending is going into the pockets of the Coalition's mates and donors?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 7:48am

I DONT THINK THERE IS ANY DOUBT IF SHORTARSE GETS IN HE WILL BLAME THE LIBS FOR EVERYTHING..

ooops sorry not intentional..

you forget the massive debt the Libs were left... how bloody convenient of you...

they left the libs with a shambles... 50 000 boat people..they didnt know what to do with so they decided  they would  sell them to malaysia... thank god our court threw that callous  idea on the scrap heap...or we would still be labeled monsters.. Angry Angry

swapping people!!!!!   yeah right LABOR>.. Angry Angry

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 8:03am

cods wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 7:48am:
I DONT THINK THERE IS ANY DOUBT IF SHORTARSE GETS IN HE WILL BLAME THE LIBS FOR EVERYTHING..

you forget the massive debt the Libs were left... how bloody convenient of you...

they left the libs with a shambles... 50 000 boat people..they didnt know what to do with so they decided  they would  sell them to malaysia... thank god our court threw that callous  idea on the scrap heap...or we would still be labeled monsters.. Angry Angry

Yes. The ALP was giving $millions away to Companies and Industries that folded anyway, like Redundancy packages.  Roll Eyes

If the NLP is failing, the ALP is still yet to show everyone that its succeeding.

It's really a case that BOTH PARTIES are failing to Govern Australia in any beneficial way.

Probably why it explains all these Independents appearing to somehow desperately try to save a sinking ship where the two biggest operators are falling over-board.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 8:18am

funny I havent seen where any lefties here have condemned Palmer whos madly spending trillions on advertising but refuses to repay US the TAX PAYERS  the millions he stole from his employees...

can you imagine if a lib did that????????>.....

but their own side isnt much better  so they turn their blind eye to him... Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 9:27am

Tender is a dirty word for the LNP....The tender process would expose the dodgy contracts they have given to their mates and political donors or even exclude them from the process altogether....The LNP have never been a party of accountability and fairness....This rabble must go!!!

Angry Angry Angry

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 12:10pm

The Libs have spent the last nearly SIX years blaming Labor!!!   They are a hopeless, incompetent rabble who survive on corruption, largesse and giving the Australian people the finger.     Shorten can quite happily spend years blaming the LNP - and he should!   Look at the debt we have now - it is DOUBLE what Labor left and not one Lib on here can tell us where the money went

Did Labor build a memorial for all the boat people like the LNP had to?   How many people have arrived in Australia illegally since the LNP came in? 

You talk about Malaysia - which even the hero Tony Abbott stated he should have endorsed - then please tell us all about the happy families in CAMBODIA!   56 MILLION dollars to look after 5 people.   You have really got to be joking.

Tell us why Australia won't take up the generous NZ offer to take some refugees?    Not enough graft, corruption and money changing hands there?

Too right Shorten should blame the LNP - they deserve EVERY brick thrown at them

IP Logged

macman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

australia
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 5:39pm

Vic wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 12:10pm:

The Libs have spent the last nearly SIX years blaming Labor!!!   They are a hopeless, incompetent rabble who survive on corruption, largesse and giving the Australian people the finger.     Shorten can quite happily spend years blaming the LNP - and he should!   Look at the debt we have now - it is DOUBLE what Labor left and not one Lib on here can tell us where the money went

Did Labor build a memorial for all the boat people like the LNP had to?   How many people have arrived in Australia illegally since the LNP came in? 

You talk about Malaysia - which even the hero Tony Abbott stated he should have endorsed - then please tell us all about the happy families in CAMBODIA!   56 MILLION dollars to look after 5 people.   You have really got to be joking.

Tell us why Australia won't take up the generous NZ offer to take some refugees?    Not enough graft, corruption and money changing hands there?

Too right Shorten should blame the LNP - they deserve EVERY brick thrown at them

Spot on Vic, well spoken.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 8:42pm

56 MILLION dollars to look after 5 people.

sorry, but I think it was 4 people.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 9:40pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 19th, 2019 at 8:42pm:
56 MILLION dollars to look after 5 people.

sorry, but I think it was 4 people.

With only one left,  the rest went home

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 9:45pm

Two wrongs don't make a right.
It's the latest trend these days.
From Fraser Anning & Eggboy both being in the wrong.
Everything else via the Media - is two wrongs not making a right.
Just like those two 'Ranga' Politicians: Gillard & Hanson - One was Fish, the other was Chips.

NLP is going down.
ALP is failing to get up.
Both parties are failing this country!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print