Send Topic Print
A holiday in Lebanon (Read 1206 times)
PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: A holiday in Lebanon
Reply #15 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 9:39am

Quote:
According to the Associated Press, government data reveals that over the past decade, the United States government has approved the petitions of thousands of men seeking to bring child and adolescent brides to live stateside.

As the AP reports:
There were more than 5,000 cases of adults petitioning on behalf of minors and nearly 3,000 examples of minors seeking to bring in older spouses or fiancés, according to the data requested by the Senate Homeland Security Committee in 2017 and compiled into a report

Quote:
…  U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) first base approval on whether the marriage is legal in the petitioner’s home country, and then consider whether the marriage will be legal in the state where the couple intends to live

Quote:
… The (US)Immigration and Nationality Act does not set minimum age requirements for the person making the request or for that person’s spouse or fiancee,” reports the AP. “By contrast, to bring in a parent from overseas, a petitioner has to be at least 21 years old

Quote:
And understandably, the government’s findings are raising long-overdue concerns about how our current immigration policies are enabling forced marriage between minors and adults—and how our laws may be exploited to procure U.S. passports. An interview with one former child bride affirms this. Naila Amin is a dual citizen from Pakistan who was raised in New York City before being forced to marry in her parents’ native country at age 13. She was then compelled to petition for her 26-year-old husband to join her in America.
“I was a passport to him,” Amin told the AP. “They all wanted him here, and that was the way to do it/quote].”

and more
LINK

As to the OP, it's just one of many similar stories, some of which I've posted here in past years

in most instances, the child -- resident of Australia -- is sent to the mid-east on some pretext or other, only to discover herself force-married to a mid-eastern guy who wants a passport into Australia, usually via means of a child between himself and the forced bride.  And Aussie authorities are aware of the scam

in the stories I posted, it was the girl's parents who were responsible

beats me how the girl in the OP is said to have been 'rescued' by the very father who sent her to the Lebanon, knowing in advance (?) that she would be forced into marriage with an adult stranger

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 6:10pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:23pm:
John Smith wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:13pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:10pm:
John Smith wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:51pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:49pm:
Visit Lebanon today - it's a blast!

We don't live in the USA, Schmidt...

However I am more likely to visit the USA than I am lebanon ... what do I care what they do in lebanon?

No OzCit should be abused or have rights violated for visiting Lebanon.

I agree completely. And I still don't give a crap what happens in Lebanon (or Libiya, whatever the case may be). Child brides are a common occurrence there. One more or less is no surprise to me.

I'd be more concerned if she was married here.

Why do you care what happens in NZ?

Apart from the fact that they're our closets neighbour and ally,  I have many kiwi friends ....It's also somewhere I'm likely to visit.

Tell me, why have you or Gordy never complained about the child brides in South America? Could it have something to do with the fact that they're not Muslim??

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 6:11pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:25pm:
John Smith wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:16pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:10pm:
No OzCit

i also notice how when it helps you to demonize the muslims, she's suddenly an 'ozcit' ... if the name 'Tasneem Fakhoury' had come up in a news article in any other context you'd be crying she's not an aussie and should bugger off back to the ME. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I don't demonise Muslims.... I discuss clear cases of excesses committed by Muslims, and in the case of the Christchurch insanity, I have clearly come down in support of the NZ Muslim population.

Obviously you need to review your interpretation of what people say.

I've never once said that anyone should 'buggar off back to the ME', though I have suggested that those unhappy with Oz or who are criminals or terrorists could just as easily be repatriated.. and those who do not wish to be part of Oz are welcome to go 'home' again.

Include the Italians, Igor - enough of this nonsense... they can walk back on the oil slick left by their forebears who swam here...   Roll Eyes

My god, but you've become childish, Smith... it's an Italian thing, though ...

and you've become a senile old racist.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 6:12pm

PZ547 wrote on Mar 18th, 2019 at 9:20am:
John Smith wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:47pm:
Quote:
Child marriage is legal in some circumstances
in almost every state in the U.S
. Though nearly every state has laws barring children under 18 from marrying, there are ways to get exemptions -- for example, by asking for judicial consent or presenting parents' permission, according to the Pew Research Center.

Quote:
In a survey of marriage licenses compiled by Unchained At Last, at least 167,000 children under 18 were married in the U.S. between 2000 and 2010. (That number is likely on the conservative side, as Unchained At Last could obtain age data from only 38 U.S. states.)

The vast majority of those children were girls married off to adult men, Reiss said.

Child marriage is most common in the southern United States, according to the Pew Research Center. It's most common in West Virginia and Texas, followed by states like Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Nevada and California.

When it comes to child marriage laws,
the U.S. in comparable to countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Yemen
, Reiss said. Her organization is lobbying legislators across the country to restrict marriage to those 18 and older.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/child-marriage-in-the-u-s-surprisingly-widespread/

you didn't mention the religions of the child marriages in the US

does it matter that they're mormons?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print