A holiday in Lebanon (Read 1197 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
A holiday in Lebanon
Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:39pm

Never happens, eh Karnal?

Melbourne teenager sent to Lebanon tells horrific story of her life as a child bride

A young Australian teenager sent to the Middle East to become a child bride has told the harrowing tale of the abuse she suffered at the hands of her drug addicted, criminal husband.

Tasneem Fakhoury was sent to Lebanon when she was just 14 years old after being told she was going on a holiday. She arrived in an isolated village near the capital of Tripoli and was told she would be visiting her grandparents.

But Tasneem was married off to a 25-year-old man. Despite the sudden change in plans, she described her attitude at the time as being naive.

“I was 14. All I was thinking at the time was the beautiful white dress and that amazing wedding I’m gonna get,” she told 7 News.

But the man she was to marry turned out to be a criminal guilty of numerous crimes. Tasneem said she discovered he’d been involved in “rape, stealing” and was an abusive drug addict.

Tasneem, now 20, said the marriage was consummated almost immediately, something she still finds almost too painful to recall. She said her new husband would “go to supermarkets, put the gun to the guy’s head and take all the money”.

She said her husband would try reasoning about his abusive behaviour towards her, in what she refers to as “every violent man’s line”.

Tasneem said his violence began with her not being able to leave the house, “I started crying, because I was little. Then he started being violent. He started hitting me.

“For the smallest reasons, the tiniest reasons.”

She said he would tell her, “You know I only hurt you because I love you and I want the best for you.” At this point she decided she wanted to leave and said she began packing her bags, saying, “That’s it, I’m leaving.”

But her neighbour, a woman, laughed at her and explained, “Love, there’s no way out of here, they either kill you or break you.”

Tasneem said her situation became so desperate that she considered taking her own life.

“I would be sometimes cooking and I would the grab the knife I would stand there for five minutes,” she said. “All I could see on the knife was my reflection and a lot was going through my mind, is how pathetic I was.”

After four desperate years, she managed to escape with the assistance of her father. She severed ties with her husband in August last year and now lives in Australia again.

“Even though I don’t have anything now, it’s heaven,” Tasneem said. “I would rather have nothing in my whole life than go back there.”

While Tasneem’s child-marriage was conducted overseas, since January 2017, 171 cases of forced child marriage in Australia have been investigated by the AFP. Some of the children involved have been as young as six and seven years old.

— If you or someone you know needs help, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14. If you or someone you know is affected by domestic violence, call 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732). If you or someone you know is at risk of forced or underage marriage contact Good Shepherd.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/melbourne-teenager-sent-to-lebanon-t...

IBI

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: A holiday in Lebanon
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:47pm

Quote:
Child marriage is legal in some circumstances
in almost every state in the U.S
. Though nearly every state has laws barring children under 18 from marrying, there are ways to get exemptions -- for example, by asking for judicial consent or presenting parents' permission, according to the Pew Research Center.

Quote:
In a survey of marriage licenses compiled by Unchained At Last, at least 167,000 children under 18 were married in the U.S. between 2000 and 2010. (That number is likely on the conservative side, as Unchained At Last could obtain age data from only 38 U.S. states.)

The vast majority of those children were girls married off to adult men, Reiss said.

Child marriage is most common in the southern United States, according to the Pew Research Center. It's most common in West Virginia and Texas, followed by states like Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Nevada and California.

When it comes to child marriage laws,
the U.S. in comparable to countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Yemen
, Reiss said. Her organization is lobbying legislators across the country to restrict marriage to those 18 and older.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/child-marriage-in-the-u-s-surprisingly-widespread/

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:49pm

Visit Lebanon today - it's a blast!

We don't live in the USA, Schmidt...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:51pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:49pm:

However I am more likely to visit the USA than I am lebanon ... what do I care what they do in lebanon?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:06pm

Something wrong here...

Quote:
Tasneem Fakhoury was sent to Lebanon when she was just 14 years old after being told she was going on a holiday. She arrived in an isolated village near the capital of Tripoli and was told she would be visiting her grandparents.

Ah, didn't know there was a Tripoli in Lebanon too. Live and learn. Though I thought Beirut was the capital.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:10pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:51pm:

However I am more likely to visit the USA than I am lebanon ... what do I care what they do in lebanon?

No OzCit should be abused or have rights violated for visiting Lebanon.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:11pm

Setanta wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:06pm:
Something wrong here...

it's probably just the result of the calibre of reporters murdoch uses.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:13pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:10pm:

I agree completely. And I still don't give a crap what happens in Lebanon (or Libiya, whatever the case may be). Child brides are a common occurrence there. One more or less is no surprise to me.

I'd be more concerned if she was married here.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:16pm

No OzCit

i also notice how when it helps you to demonize the muslims, she's suddenly an 'ozcit' ... if the name 'Tasneem Fakhoury' had come up in a news article in any other context you'd be crying she's not an aussie and should bugger off back to the ME. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:23pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:13pm:

I agree completely. And I still don't give a crap what happens in Lebanon (or Libiya, whatever the case may be). Child brides are a common occurrence there. One more or less is no surprise to me.

I'd be more concerned if she was married here.

Why do you care what happens in NZ?

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:23pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:16pm:
No OzCit

i also notice how when it helps you to demonize the muslims, she's suddenly an 'ozcit' ... if the name 'Tasneem Fakhoury' had come up in a news article in any other context you'd be crying she's not an aussie and should bugger off back to the ME. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Grappler is an insidious surreptitious bigot who swings with the majority in most controversies.

Fortunately, Grappler is losing his grip on reality and will eventually end up a blubbering mess.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:25pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 9:16pm:
No OzCit

I don't demonise Muslims.... I discuss clear cases of excesses committed by Muslims, and in the case of the Christchurch insanity, I have clearly come down in support of the NZ Muslim population.

Obviously you need to review your interpretation of what people say.

I've never once said that anyone should 'buggar off back to the ME', though I have suggested that those unhappy with Oz or who are criminals or terrorists could just as easily be repatriated.. and those who do not wish to be part of Oz are welcome to go 'home' again.

Include the Italians, Igor - enough of this nonsense... they can walk back on the oil slick left by their forebears who swam here...   Roll Eyes

My god, but you've become childish, Smith... it's an Italian thing, though ...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 11:36pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:39pm:
Never happens, eh Karnal?

Melbourne teenager sent to Lebanon tells horrific story of her life as a child bride

A young Australian teenager sent to the Middle East to become a child bride has told the harrowing tale of the abuse she suffered at the hands of her drug addicted, criminal husband.

But Tasneem was married off to a 25-year-old man. Despite the sudden change in plans, she described her attitude at the time as being naive.

“I was 14. All I was thinking at the time was the beautiful white dress and that amazing wedding I’m gonna get,” she told 7 News.

But the man she was to marry turned out to be a criminal guilty of numerous crimes. Tasneem said she discovered he’d been involved in “rape, stealing” and was an abusive drug addict.

Tasneem, now 20, said the marriage was consummated almost immediately, something she still finds almost too painful to recall. She said her new husband would “go to supermarkets, put the gun to the guy’s head and take all the money”.

She said her husband would try reasoning about his abusive behaviour towards her, in what she refers to as “every violent man’s line”.

Tasneem said his violence began with her not being able to leave the house, “I started crying, because I was little. Then he started being violent. He started hitting me.

“For the smallest reasons, the tiniest reasons.”

She said he would tell her, “You know I only hurt you because I love you and I want the best for you.” At this point she decided she wanted to leave and said she began packing her bags, saying, “That’s it, I’m leaving.”

But her neighbour, a woman, laughed at her and explained, “Love, there’s no way out of here, they either kill you or break you.”

Tasneem said her situation became so desperate that she considered taking her own life.

“I would be sometimes cooking and I would the grab the knife I would stand there for five minutes,” she said. “All I could see on the knife was my reflection and a lot was going through my mind, is how pathetic I was.”

After four desperate years, she managed to escape with the assistance of her father. She severed ties with her husband in August last year and now lives in Australia again.

“Even though I don’t have anything now, it’s heaven,” Tasneem said. “I would rather have nothing in my whole life than go back there.”

While Tasneem’s child-marriage was conducted overseas, since January 2017, 171 cases of forced child marriage in Australia have been investigated by the AFP. Some of the children involved have been as young as six and seven years old.

— If you or someone you know needs help, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14. If you or someone you know is affected by domestic violence, call 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732). If you or someone you know is at risk of forced or underage marriage contact Good Shepherd.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/melbourne-teenager-sent-to-lebanon-t...

Never happens where, dear?

You know? It might be worth putting down these distractions and just admitting you agree with most of what Brenton Tarrant stands for.

The only difference is he's not renting the tinted races cheap housing.

Oh - and you'd be stopped at the neo-Nazi rally to check your papers.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 12:18am

Cultural enrichment innit

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 9:20am

John Smith wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 8:47pm:
Quote:
Child marriage is legal in some circumstances
in almost every state in the U.S
. Though nearly every state has laws barring children under 18 from marrying, there are ways to get exemptions -- for example, by asking for judicial consent or presenting parents' permission, according to the Pew Research Center.

Quote:
In a survey of marriage licenses compiled by Unchained At Last, at least 167,000 children under 18 were married in the U.S. between 2000 and 2010. (That number is likely on the conservative side, as Unchained At Last could obtain age data from only 38 U.S. states.)

The vast majority of those children were girls married off to adult men, Reiss said.

Child marriage is most common in the southern United States, according to the Pew Research Center. It's most common in West Virginia and Texas, followed by states like Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Nevada and California.

When it comes to child marriage laws,
the U.S. in comparable to countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Yemen
, Reiss said. Her organization is lobbying legislators across the country to restrict marriage to those 18 and older.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/child-marriage-in-the-u-s-surprisingly-widespread/

you didn't mention the religions of the child marriages in the US

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print