Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Ethiopia air crash: Boeing 737 a flying coffin (Read 3730 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Ethiopia air crash: Boeing 737 a flying coffin
Mar 11th, 2019 at 12:33pm

This is the second crash in similar circumstances and now Boeing is under suspicion.

Is there a connection to MH370?

Is the US deep state protecting Boeing?

Boeing 737s should be grounded until it can be proven they are safe to fly.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-03-10/ethiopian-crash-throws-spo...

Quote:
Ethiopian Crash Throws the Spotlight Back on Boeing
It’s too soon to say what caused Sunday’s disaster or whether it was similar to the Lion Air crash. But passengers and airlines need answers quickly.

By Chris Bryant
March 11, 2019, 2:35 AM GMT+7

That the two crashes of a new aircraft -- the Boeing 737 Max -- happened so closely together, adds to the urgency in finding out what happened.

These are worrying hours for Boeing Co. – and tragic ones for 157 families. The second crash of a 737 Max jet in five months raises inevitable questions about the safety of the U.S. manufacturer’s flagship single-aisle aircraft, even though it’s still not known what caused the latest disaster. The company must respond with total transparency and hope there was nothing it could have done to have avoided Sunday’s crash in Ethiopia.

We don’t know whether what happened to the Ethiopian Airways plane was the same thing that brought down a Lion Air jet in October and a rush to judgment helps nobody, including the people who’ve lost their lives and their loved ones.

Superficially, there are similarities: Both jets were almost brand new, both experienced difficulties shortly after takeoff and asked to return to the airport. But the details are absolutely crucial here.

In the wake of the Lion Air crash in Indonesia, it emerged that the 737 Max contains software that forces the plane’s nose down in certain circumstances to prevent it stalling. Some pilots weren’t aware of the safety system and felt they should have been told. The New York Times reported that the manufacturer wanted to keep additional pilot training to a minimum (the 737 Max competes with Airbus SE’s 320neo).

Boeing insisted, however, that all pilots know how to override the plane’s automated systems. In view of the Lion Air disaster, it would be surprising if the Ethiopian Airways pilot was unaware of this procedure. So it’s quite possible the causes of these two crashes are unrelated.

Until there is clarity about the circumstances of the latest disaster, though, some passengers will naturally be anxious about flying on the aircraft. Airline owners of the 737 Max, which include Southwest Airlines Co. and American Airlines Group Inc., are monitoring the investigation closely. That the two crashes of a new model of aircraft happened so closely together will add to the sense of urgency. ...

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Ethiopia air crash: Boeing 737 a flying coffin
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 9:39pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Mar 11th, 2019 at 12:33pm:
This is the second crash in similar circumstances and now Boeing is under suspicion.

Is the US deep state protecting Boeing?

Boeing 737s should be grounded until it can be proven they are safe to fly.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-03-10/ethiopian-crash-throws-spo...

Quote:
Ethiopian Crash Throws the Spotlight Back on Boeing
It’s too soon to say what caused Sunday’s disaster or whether it was similar to the Lion Air crash. But passengers and airlines need answers quickly.

By Chris Bryant
March 11, 2019, 2:35 AM GMT+7

That the two crashes of a new aircraft -- the Boeing 737 Max -- happened so closely together, adds to the urgency in finding out what happened.

These are worrying hours for Boeing Co. – and tragic ones for 157 families. The second crash of a 737 Max jet in five months raises inevitable questions about the safety of the U.S. manufacturer’s flagship single-aisle aircraft, even though it’s still not known what caused the latest disaster. The company must respond with total transparency and hope there was nothing it could have done to have avoided Sunday’s crash in Ethiopia.

We don’t know whether what happened to the Ethiopian Airways plane was the same thing that brought down a Lion Air jet in October and a rush to judgment helps nobody, including the people who’ve lost their lives and their loved ones.

Superficially, there are similarities: Both jets were almost brand new, both experienced difficulties shortly after takeoff and asked to return to the airport. But the details are absolutely crucial here.

In the wake of the Lion Air crash in Indonesia, it emerged that the 737 Max contains software that forces the plane’s nose down in certain circumstances to prevent it stalling. Some pilots weren’t aware of the safety system and felt they should have been told. The New York Times reported that the manufacturer wanted to keep additional pilot training to a minimum (the 737 Max competes with Airbus SE’s 320neo).

Boeing insisted, however, that all pilots know how to override the plane’s automated systems. In view of the Lion Air disaster, it would be surprising if the Ethiopian Airways pilot was unaware of this procedure. So it’s quite possible the causes of these two crashes are unrelated.

Until there is clarity about the circumstances of the latest disaster, though, some passengers will naturally be anxious about flying on the aircraft. Airline owners of the 737 Max, which include Southwest Airlines Co. and American Airlines Group Inc., are monitoring the investigation closely. That the two crashes of a new model of aircraft happened so closely together will add to the sense of urgency. ...

Read the highlighted lines again. We can bet Boeing is taking this very seriously. No one wants to risk air disasters except the religious fanatics and the whackos you usually support. You are getting hysterical and anti-American, anti-white people, all over again.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 9:49pm

Dear Issue Voter, could you consider me anti-death?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 11:51pm

Reminds me of the  de Havilland DH 106 Comet. Three broke up before they figured out what the problem was.

My bet is that the software fault that places the aircraft into a dive is the problem.

This aircraft is dangerous and should be grounded until all faults in the software are fixed.

Of course, money talks and the airlines "need" these planes to be in the air. Boeing and the airlines are murderous scum and will continue until public pressure becomes unbearable.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 5:32am

What would you do if you had a flight booked on a 737 tomorrow? I'd think twice. But this is Boeing, not a Chinese manufacturer. Pilots around the world have always said, "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going." Like I said in another thread, there is a system in place that ensures air travel gets safer after each crash.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 5:39am

Captain Nemo wrote on Mar 11th, 2019 at 11:51pm:
Reminds me of the  de Havilland DH 106 Comet. Three broke up before they figured out what the problem was.

My bet is that the software fault that places the aircraft into a dive is the problem.

This aircraft is dangerous and should be grounded until all faults in the software are fixed.

Of course, money talks and the airlines "need" these planes to be in the air. Boeing and the airlines are murderous scum and will continue until public pressure becomes unbearable.

They need to be grounded till they find out what happened.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 9:28am

Bobby. wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 5:39am:

They need to be grounded till they find out what happened.

Yep.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 9:46am

AiA wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 5:32am:
What would you do if you had a flight booked on a 737 tomorrow? I'd think twice. But this is Boeing, not a Chinese manufacturer. Pilots around the world have always said, "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going." Like I said in another thread, there is a system in place that ensures air travel gets safer after each crash.

The system is called 'funerals'.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 10:12am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Mar 11th, 2019 at 12:33pm:

I doubt it since Flight MH370 was a Boeing 777 not a 737 and I'm sure any flight control issues with the 777 would have been found and hopefully corrected in the 5 years since MH370 disappeared.

The Boeing 737 has been a very reliable aircraft since it was introduced in the late 1960's. The main problem (until now) was with rudder issues which were eventually found and fixed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_rudder_issues

But, after 2 very similar crashes in 5 months, I think these new 737 MAX aircraft should be grounded worldwide until the cause is found and corrected.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 10:32am

they do go to remarkable lengths to find the cause of the crashes nemo and that can take a long time....I have noticed fewer and fewer air crashes....we always seemed to get one before Xmas....look at trains and buses   they also crash and kill many people...... Air Safety I think is one of the best and most stringent

its isnt perfect but then neither are we...

IP Logged

BigP
Gold Member

Australian Politics

West Auckland
Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 10:56am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 9:46am:
AiA wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 5:32am:

The system is called 'funerals'.

They were all cremated weren't they ?

IP Logged

BigP
Gold Member

Australian Politics

West Auckland
Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 11:00am

cods wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 10:32am:

they do go to remarkable lengths to find the cause of the crashes nemo and that can take a long time....I have noticed fewer and fewer air crashes....we always seemed to get one before Xmas....look at trains and buses   they also crash and kill many people...... Air Safety I think is one of the best and most stringent

its isnt perfect but then neither are we...

""its isnt perfect but then neither are we.""

I have always considered myself to be pretty damn close  Cool

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 11:45am

In my opinion, the FAA should go further and demand that all Max 8s be grounded until the changes are done.  Angry

The US air regulator told international carriers on Monday that the Boeing 737 Max 8 was airworthy, but said it will mandate forthcoming design changes to the aircraft from Boeing by April.

The new model of aircraft has been involved in two fatal crashes since October, and airlines using the short-haul passenger jet have been inundated with questions from concerned passengers since Sunday, when an Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max 8 crashed and all 157 people onboard died.

The announcement came as one of Brazil’s biggest airlines, GOL, said it would temporarily ground its seven Max 8 jets, and Aeroméxico suspended use of its six aircraft, echoing a similar move by China, Cayman Airways and African carrier Comair. Argentina’s Association of Airline Pilots too has ordered its members not to fly the Max series. GOL said it had confidence in Boeing and that its Max 8 aircraft had made 2,933 flights, totalling more than 12,700 hours, “in total safety and efficiency”.

In a notice, the Federal Aviation Administration said it planned to require design changes by Boeing no later than April. Boeing is working to complete “flight control system enhancements, which provide reduced reliance on procedures associated with required pilot memory items”, the FAA said.

The FAA also said Boeing “plans to update training requirements and flight crew manuals to go with the design change” to an automated protection system called the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System or MCAS. The changes also include MCAS activation and angle of attack signal enhancements.

The FAA said in the notice that external reports were drawing similarities between the crash in Ethiopia and the earlier fatal crash off the coast of Indonesia that killed all 189 onboard.

Like the previous accident, which involved a Lion Air flight that crashed 13 minutes after takeoff, pilots had reported problems with the plane and requested permission to make an emergency landing before losing contact with ground control.''

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/11/airlines-and-agencies-reassure-ala...

p.s.

Gotta love this "sanitized" wording!!!!

"possible impact with terrain" ...  Roll Eyes

Ya mean CRASH?

In the wake of the October crash the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued an emergency directive concerning erroneous readings from an "angle of attack" sensor that might lead to "repeated nose-down trim commands".

"This condition, if not addressed, could cause the flight crew to have difficulty controlling the airplane, and lead to excessive nose-down attitude, significant altitude loss, and possible impact with terrain," the airworthiness directive read.

Read more: http://www.traveller.com.au/the-shorthaul-jet-of-the-future-what-is-the-boeing-737-max-and-which-airlines-are-flying-it-and-is-it-safe-h1c9zu#ixzz5hv3Z1Bkc
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2019 at 12:08pm by Captain Nemo »  

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #13 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 12:39pm

All 737's should be grounded until a formal investigation is carried out

I hope American investigators carry out the investigation

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 12:45pm

red baron wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 12:39pm:
All 737's should be grounded until a formal investigation is carried out

I hope American investigators carry out the investigation

Huh?   Would it not be better that Australian or European investigators look into what happened with an American plane?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print