Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Individuality is a sin (Read 5610 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Individuality is a sin
Reply #30 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 8:29am

The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 26th, 2019 at 12:15pm:
The Reboot wrote on Feb 26th, 2019 at 12:01pm:
No, this thread is to point out how people can get away with certain behaviours depending on what socially approved religion they follow.. whether that be hypocritical leftists siding with the muslims regardless of that group's atrocities, or the bible bashers hiding under the pope's skirt to avoid being held accountable for paedophilia.

You are making the common association logical fallacy that all Muslims should be condemned for the actions of a few terrorists. And then make the added logical fallacy of assuming that people who defend Muslims (who haven't done anything wrong) are also defending terrorists because apparently there is no such thing as a moderate Muslim.

You are also wrong in stating that no one condemns atrocities such as beheadings.
Lets not forget the young Saudi woman who was granted asylum by Canada recently to protect her.

The middle east is a case proving how important it is to separate Church and State.

So your argument is full of holes

I will not extend this avenue of the thread, other than to say, the Reboot is correct insofar that Leftist-Progressives are quick to condemn Christians while reluctant to tarnish their vaunted tolerance with the same of Islam.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

None of your damn business
Reply #31 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 7:02pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 26th, 2019 at 12:15pm:
The Reboot wrote on Feb 26th, 2019 at 12:01pm:
No, this thread is to point out how people can get away with certain behaviours depending on what socially approved religion they follow.. whether that be hypocritical leftists siding with the muslims regardless of that group's atrocities, or the bible bashers hiding under the pope's skirt to avoid being held accountable for paedophilia.

You are making the common association logical fallacy that all Muslims should be condemned for the actions of a few terrorists. And then make the added logical fallacy of assuming that people who defend Muslims (who haven't done anything wrong) are also defending terrorists because apparently there is no such thing as a moderate Muslim.

You are also wrong in stating that no one condemns atrocities such as beheadings.
Lets not forget the young Saudi woman who was granted asylum by Canada recently to protect her.

The middle east is a case proving how important it is to separate Church and State.

So your argument is full of holes

And? This is the philosophy forum. Plenty of philosophers "generalize" without getting too into these debates. Otherwise we're just debating left vs right politics when there are other subforums for that.

I am very well aware that not all muslims are terrorists. Like I also know that not all aboriginals are smelly drunks with snot dangling out of their noses. Not all Catholics are kiddyfiddlers either. But the ones most passionate for their cause are the loudest. What would these "extremists" be, if they followed their own religion? Murderers, pedophiles, psychopaths, lunatics.

Where is the separation of law and state when many laws i.e suicide and euthanasia are illegal because of religious thinking?

Why do we have to have "Halal" certified foods?

Why is it considered sane to believe in myths that are not scientifically proven, but not sane to believe in aliens when it is in fact that alien idea which is more plausible? Why is it okay to believe in L.Ron Hubbard's aliens, but nobody else's?

If you think you will burn in hell for eating a slice of bacon, it's religious freedom.

If you think you will die of cancer if you drink chlorinated water, you're a nutjob.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Mar 1st, 2019 at 7:18pm

The Reboot wrote on Feb 26th, 2019 at 11:15am:
Jasin wrote on Feb 25th, 2019 at 7:07pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 25th, 2019 at 12:24pm:
The Reboot wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 6:31pm:
My point is, people that follow their own brand of "religion" (such as those mentioned in the OP) cop a lot of flack that those in organized religions (because hey, it's socially acceptable to be illogical -- only if you believe in Jesus, Allah, or whatever alien deity scientologists worship) What's the difference between conspiracy theorists who obsess over their "truths" and nutcases in churches?

The difference is in the context.
Having wacky ideas about events and people from 2000 years ago is different to having wacky ideas about current events.
When Alex Jones says that the Sandy Hook massacre was "manufactured" by the government and that the grieving relatives were "crisis actors", that has a direct impact on people here today.
As does the various conspiracy theories involving 9/11, the moon landings, chemtrails, fluoride, vaccinations and global warming.

People who identify as "free thinkers" generally have thinking that is free from logic and facts 

Or maybe 'thinking' that is free from Media dominated Western society views.

Welcome back. I thought you were booted into orbit after that drama the other day  Grin

I was expecting it again after a previous banning because Peckerhead 'cried'  Cry about me calling him a kiddy-fiddler. Talks all tough on the Forum, but squeals via private PM's to Admins.  Roll Eyes

I think my Philosophy is to know how the world works: where it is coming from and where it is going to.
With such insights as to why 'women' in Music in North America are less 'self destructive' (scandal ridden, etc) than the 'men', but are more so than men - in Europe and something of the same for Sport here in Australia and 'etc' with every other Industry around the world.
How Aboriginal women are more 'progressive' towards the future, but Aboriginal men seem to stick to the past.

All this - kinda forms a complex 'pattern' of behaviour and consequence... like a 'global culture' taking shape and from this, I can discern 'wars' and why and where Politics succeeds and where it dismally fails.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #33 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 7:58am

The Reboot wrote on Mar 1st, 2019 at 7:02pm:
And? This is the philosophy forum. Plenty of philosophers "generalize" without getting too into these debates. Otherwise we're just debating left vs right politics when there are other subforums for that.

I am very well aware that not all muslims are terrorists. Like I also know that not all aboriginals are smelly drunks with snot dangling out of their noses. Not all Catholics are kiddyfiddlers either. But the ones most passionate for their cause are the loudest. What would these "extremists" be, if they followed their own religion? Murderers, pedophiles, psychopaths, lunatics.

Where is the separation of law and state when many laws i.e suicide and euthanasia are illegal because of religious thinking?

Why is it considered sane to believe in myths that are not scientifically proven, but not sane to believe in aliens when it is in fact that alien idea which is more plausible? Why is it okay to believe in L.Ron Hubbard's aliens, but nobody else's?

If you think you will burn in hell for eating a slice of bacon, it's religious freedom.

If you think you will die of cancer if you drink chlorinated water, you're a nutjob.

Highlight: I think you meant separation of Church and State.

Once again, I don't disagree with the general idea, but there are some points I would have to challenge from a philosophical standpoint:

I don't see where Halal food comes into this. We can eat any foods we like, Halal or otherwise.

I don't think there is a blanket acceptance of Hubbard's aliens, and I am not alone. (Get it? Damn I'm funny!)

The comparison between religious Porkophobia and cancer by chlorinated water is hard for me to make. The former is doctrine, the latter is a rejection of science. They are not philosophically equivalent. Any nut job assessment would be too broad for me.

In the religious thinking of laws governing suicide and euthanasia, you are also stretching the point. Even though Australian society has a European and Christian tradition, the laws in question are not enforced for religious doctrine. Our government has evolved beyond such strictures. These legislative choices may appear to be Christian, but the lawmakers were free to make their own moral choices.

Your essential question, "Why is one unsubstantiated idea ridiculed, when others are not?" is perfectly valid. I think the reason is that Humanity, like Lewis Carroll's character, can believe six impossible things before breakfast. I would say that includes contradictions. How? By not recognising the ramifications of a belief.

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 2:36pm

issuevoter wrote on Mar 2nd, 2019 at 7:58am:
The Reboot wrote on Mar 1st, 2019 at 7:02pm:

Highlight: I think you meant separation of Church and State.

Once again, I don't disagree with the general idea, but there are some points I would have to challenge from a philosophical standpoint:

I don't see where Halal food comes into this. We can eat any foods we like, Halal or otherwise.

I don't think there is a blanket acceptance of Hubbard's aliens, and I am not alone. (Get it? Damn I'm funny!)

The comparison between religious Porkophobia and cancer by chlorinated water is hard for me to make. The former is doctrine, the latter is a rejection of science. They are not philosophically equivalent. Any nut job assessment would be too broad for me.

In the religious thinking of laws governing suicide and euthanasia, you are also stretching the point. Even though Australian society has a European and Christian tradition, the laws in question are not enforced for religious doctrine. Our government has evolved beyond such strictures. These legislative choices may appear to be Christian, but the lawmakers were free to make their own moral choices.

Your essential question, "Why is one unsubstantiated idea ridiculed, when others are not?" is perfectly valid. I think the reason is that Humanity, like Lewis Carroll's character, can believe six impossible things before breakfast. I would say that includes contradictions. How? By not recognising the ramifications of a belief.

I did, yes. My apologies, I sometimes mess up my wording when in a chemically altered state.

To address your challenges:

1. What does it mean to eat halal?
Halal is an Arabic word that means "permissible." In terms of food, it means food that is permissible according to Islamic law. For a meat to be certified "halal," it cannot be a forbidden cut (such as meat from hindquarters) or animal (such as pork.) [according to google]

A religious doctrine dictates what people following that faith eats. Now in Australia, we get "Halal Certified" food to pander to this faith. True, everyone can eat whatever they like and there are no laws that EVERYONE has to eat that way. Yet the spotlight and emphasis on, "this is part of the doctrine, you have to eat this food if you want to be approved in Islam" is still there.

2. True, most people laugh at scientology yet it is a recognised organized religion backed and supported by Hollywood celebrities. Does Tom Cruise and John Travolta cop the same criticism as David Icke does for his belief in an ancient bloodline of reptilian aliens taking over the world?

3. The comparison. Doctrine or not, isn't going to hell for eating pork also a rejection of science?

4. Stretching the point perhaps, but many lawmakers are religious. There is a struggle to get these types of laws changed because of the backlash of the religious community.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #35 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 4:06pm

I don't think the pork, ticket-to-hell, thing is, or was, ever a rejection of science. The creators lived in relatively un-scientific societies and times. But yes, it is obvious the Halal certification in this country is pandering, if it is any way associated with government regulation.

Here is an example something worthy of ridicule. Buddhist prayer. Who are they praying to? As far as I know, Buddha never even suggested prayer or worship. However, it is not politically correct in Western society to ridicule Buddhism. Christianity square, Buddhism cool.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 4:21pm

The Reboot wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:32pm:
Has anybody ever wondered why the likes of Alex Jones, David Icke and Julian Assange cop crap left, right and centre; declared by the "experts" as mentally ill, sociopaths, frauds, rapists and any evil under the sun?

Meanwhile, beheading is considered heroic in Islam.

Child molesting is covered up, priests rarely ever held accountable for their actions in Catholicism.

Genital mutilation is perfectly acceptable in Judaism.

Tom Cruise can join the Church of Scientology and still get taken seriously.

Buddhism is so great because it encourages people to sit, do nothing, meditate and give zero fuqs about anything while finding a "higher" meaning.

Politicans lie and BS yet hordes of passionate voters still flock to their side and believe in them.

It's because "religious freedom" is only tolerated if it is designed to control a large portion of human minds.

The "free-thinker" (whether logical or conspiraloon nutjob, and anything in between) will always be shunned and silenced because they are closer to "reality" than those operating within the confines of their chosen (or in some cases, not chosen) religious dogma.

This sort of reasoning and thinking has seeped into every aspect of our lives. There is, in nature, no real difference between politics and religion. Politics is a form of religion, both overlapping one another in a sinful rapture.

Religion is the weapon. Politics is the arena.

The only means "free-thinkers" have is to play on the battlefield, as no other battlefields are worthy in the eyes of a controlled sheeple people. Sheeple only have enough consciousness to look to "the stage", which is the stage that those in power put in front of us.

And so the "free-thinker" must enter the arena, instantly falling into the trap of controlled religion. This is how the hippie communist movement happened. You don't need to believe in a "God" to be part of a religion.

Is this a religious or a free thinking idea or something else?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 12:31pm

Frank wrote on Mar 2nd, 2019 at 4:21pm:
Has anybody ever wondered why the likes of Alex Jones, David Icke and Julian Assange cop crap left, right and centre; declared by the "experts" as mentally ill, sociopaths, frauds, rapists and any evil under the sun?

Child molesting is covered up, priests rarely ever held accountable for their actions in Catholicism.

Buddhism is so great because it encourages people to sit, do nothing, meditate and give zero fuqs about anything while finding a "higher" meaning.

Politicans lie and BS yet hordes of passionate voters still flock to their side and believe in them.

It's because "religious freedom" is only tolerated if it is designed to control a large portion of human minds.

The "free-thinker" (whether logical or conspiraloon nutjob, and anything in between) will always be shunned and silenced because they are closer to "reality" than those operating within the confines of their chosen (or in some cases, not chosen) religious dogma.

This sort of reasoning and thinking has seeped into every aspect of our lives. There is, in nature, no real difference between politics and religion. Politics is a form of religion, both overlapping one another in a sinful rapture.

The only means "free-thinkers" have is to play on the battlefield, as no other battlefields are worthy in the eyes of a controlled sheeple people. Sheeple only have enough consciousness to look to "the stage", which is the stage that those in power put in front of us.

And so the "free-thinker" must enter the arena, instantly falling into the trap of controlled religion. This is how the hippie communist movement happened. You don't need to believe in a "God" to be part of a religion.

It's mine.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #38 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 2:34pm

Fair enough.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 6:18pm

The Reboot wrote on Mar 5th, 2019 at 12:31pm:
Frank wrote on Mar 2nd, 2019 at 4:21pm:

It's mine.

Free thinking, then.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Mar 5th, 2019 at 9:47pm

Yes. Who said a new way of thinking can't be expressed in Australia that is 'Free' from the tired old ways of the Western way of thinking?

That's like telling Eastern (Slavic) Europeans to think just like Western (Celtic) Europeans (ignoring the Northern 'Scandi' European's and their thinking... imprisoning the Southern 'Latin' European way of thinking).

No. Maybe Australia's new generations are thinking 'Free' of the old Western style and restraints... with thoughts that are totally different and looking for a 'new' direction as well.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #41 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 7:34am

Jasin wrote on Mar 5th, 2019 at 9:47pm:
Yes. Who said a new way of thinking can't be expressed in Australia that is 'Free' from the tired old ways of the Western way of thinking?

That's like telling Eastern (Slavic) Europeans to think just like Western (Celtic) Europeans (ignoring the Northern 'Scandi' European's and their thinking... imprisoning the Southern 'Latin' European way of thinking).

No. Maybe Australia's new generations are thinking 'Free' of the old Western style and restraints... with thoughts that are totally different and looking for a 'new' direction as well.

Nah. Every generation has the same fatuous belief in a modernity unique to them. That illusion is fundamental to the human condition.

Free thinking is a matter of degree, and its scarcer than hen's teeth. If you think you are a Free Thinker, you probably are not.

IP Logged

The Reboot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 7:16pm

Jasin wrote on Mar 5th, 2019 at 9:47pm:

The only thing that's "free" with us "newer generations" is the space between our ears.  Wink

All of my friends and acquaintances are late 20's plus. I cannot connect with people in their 20's and below. I cannot stand that Americanized neo-Australian accent they have going, it grates my nerves. Had I lived in cities more, I'm afraid I would sound like them! I cannot stand their laziness and self entitled attitudes. Again, I am "generalizing" and I acknowledge that not all are like that. Most seem to think the meaning of life is how much alcohol they can consume through a funnel in one sitting, purchasing the latest phone tech that is somehow worth $3000 yet has a battery life of 10 minutes, and taking the "tide pod" challenge which involves snorting or eating laundry powder - not sure which one - maybe both.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #43 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 2:00am

Some do Population Growth (Alpha Female/Beta Male)
Some do Cultural Growth (Alpha Male/Beta Female)

Beta Male & Beta Female occasionally get together in a Motel Room to do both: it compensates for being Beta's.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #44 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 9:22am

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print