Send Topic Print
Drain the QLD Flood (Read 12858 times)
minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Drain the QLD Flood
Reply #75 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 2:14pm

issuevoter wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:03am:
But the NT already has an enormous water storage at Lake Argyle which is hardly used.

Lake Argyle is in WA.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 2:20pm

Rather than building billion dollar water diversions that may not work, I think that reclaiming sections of Australia's arid regions would be more cost effective:

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #77 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 3:24pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 6th, 2019 at 1:44am:
Stig wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 11:44am:
Jasin wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 8:57pm:
They might call a National Emergency with this one.
The Floods of QLD.

Here is a timely and perfect example of the need for a national Canal network right across the continent.

Right now, there could be a QLD network of Canal systems that would be 'draining' all that floodwater away. The water up there would be 'moving' and not sitting like a dirty stagnant duckpond. All that water would, over the course of a few weeks - be transported (by gates, etc) across into lower NT, into NSW and as far as SA. There it will be put to good use. It could even feed a massive 'Ever-glades' like Wetlands in the middle of Australia.

A network of Canals, big and small (like they have in the Riverina) would enhance the landscape, provide much needed water access and basically add a lot of money to potentially opening up the entire interior to productivity and population.

But for now - the water remains in QLD.

It isn't done because it would be ridiculously expensive. As in trillions of dollars expensive

They were talking about how the project could be done for $9 billion. Apparently, there is an argument against channelling water from flood areas to more central areas of Australia. Western Qld would probably be better suited if the flood prone areas had pipes to be put in and directed through the towns on the way to more drought prone areas for times when places like Townsville are in flood. Something to mitigate the flooding and allowing the city to get back to business in little time.

$9 billion is a huge under-estimate. When you're talking about proper floods, you're talking billions of litres of water.

To move that kind of volume in anything approaching a reasonable timeframe (in order to avoid a flood) would require canals in the order of half a kilometre across, a hundred or more metres deep, ploughing straight across people's land, tunneling through mountains and with viaducts over valleys to avoid massive energy losses (and the need for even more pumps than the hundreds you would already require for the project)

As a back of hand estimate - if a VFT running Sydney to Canberra would cost $20-30 billion for just two tracks, imagine how much something 1000 times that in scale would cost.

The idea is fine, but the execution would cripple the economy.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #78 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 9:03pm

I admit that the cost to do anything in Australia is a 'costly' act. A bridge cost in Australia would cost $millions, yet other nations can do it for just a 1/4 of the cost. Maybe blame the Unions for the high pay packets they afford to cheap Asian labour cashing in.  Cheesy

Anyway - I wish to thank NITV (Aboriginal TV) for putting to air the Documentary:
1491: the Untold Story of the Americas

...which showed many examples right around the world stretching back to over 6,000 years of how so-called 'Primitive' peoples managed to produce massive Irrigation systems that could stretch for 800kms and service 40,000 hectares in the most arid areas to create productivity.

Funny how they could do it back then, everywhere.
But Australia's Political system can't and won't today.  Roll Eyes

Hell, if it wasn't for a Dane. The Opera House would not exist. The Harbour Bridge is not much different to other such around the world.

Basically, I think - Australians have really achieved 'nothing' close to impressive here, in the 200+ years they've been here.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #79 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 9:35pm

Quote:
of how so-called 'Primitive' peoples managed to produce massive Irrigation systems that could stretch for 800kms

It's called a river.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #80 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 9:36pm

freediver wrote on Feb 6th, 2019 at 9:35pm:
Quote:
of how so-called 'Primitive' peoples managed to produce massive Irrigation systems that could stretch for 800kms

It's called a river.

Not even close FD.
Take a card from Community Chest and try again.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #81 - Feb 6th, 2019 at 9:40pm

A very good Doco. Especially on Irrigation.
It doesn't just concentrate on the Americas - it shows examples around the world.

1.34min trailer
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1491+the+untold+story+of+the+americas&&view...

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #82 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:19pm

On the news last night.

People of Wilcannia complaining about their Drought, their empty river-beds and "Why can't that transfer that water from QLD down to here!?"

Again - thankyou!  Wink

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #83 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:26pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:19pm:
On the news last night.

People of Wilcannia complaining about their Drought, their empty river-beds and "Why can't that transfer that water from QLD down to here!?"

Again - thankyou!  Wink

Jas, how many KM do you think we need to move the water?

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:33pm

On the news last night.

Again - thankyou!  Wink

thats interesting  I have asked that very thing quite a few times on here and got shouted down for my trouble.... it all costs to much... it too impractical....you dont know what your talking about..

you an idiot cods...they have no choice but to open floodgates onto innocent people and their homes and cattle....and all their worldly goods..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes..

I even suggested bring in experts from around the world  who couldnt make it any worse than it already is.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

but again  waste of time   in fact one person  thought the good people in Townsville had the time to read ozpol  and would be  offended because I suggested rain was a gift from god..... a metaphor I am sure you guys get it...but I was being insensitive to the poor souls in T'Ville even though opening the flood gates on them was seen as an act of faith... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

this is a case for experts not bumbling pollies who havent a clue and all running on a budget   that also covers their first class travel everywhere...... Angry

I think I know who I would have more faith in.. Angry Angry

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #85 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:38pm

I just checked Alibaba and you can get 200mm PVC drainage pipe for $2/m.

It may take a bit more than a weekend working bee but it's not an insurmountable job.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:40pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:26pm:
On the news last night.

Again - thankyou!  Wink

it doesnt matter..... it needs to be saved and used to keep a rivers from dying. and killing our fish.....

as jasin has pointed out   100s of years ago they had more commonsense and ability  to make sure water was never wasted never ever ever......they knew how dependent mankind was on water even in those days...

yet here we are all standing around   shaking our heads its all too hard   its all too costly...

lets give up...

even it only some of it was channelled in to the river system     its better than seeing it swept to sea time after time after time.......

funny how they call a competition to build a bridge or the opera house   but when it comes to saving precious rain water .... nothing...

we build dams    and guess what there is every chance they will fill up....so what do we do  we build a gate so we can waste that very water we want to save...

no one has come up with a better idea to prevent that waste..grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

probably because no one has been asked to find a better way.. Angry

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:41pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:38pm:

It may take a bit more than a weekend working bee but it's not an insurmountable job.

ok gordon youve made your point..

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #88 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:41pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:26pm:
On the news last night.

Again - thankyou!  Wink

KM?

It doesn't take much.
The Nile runs an entire length of a continent.
The Amazon branches out for another.

Both do wonders for the nations they exist in.

Having 'shallow' creek beds doesn't work - it accelerates evaporation (hot water). There will always be evaporation - but better in the air of that region (falls back down as dew to moisten the ground at night).

cods wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:33pm:
hats interesting  I have asked that very thing quite a few times on here and got shouted down for my trouble.... it all costs to much... it too impractical....you dont know what your talking about..

you an idiot cods...they have no choice but to open floodgates onto innocent people and their homes and cattle....and all their worldly goods.....  ..

I even suggested bring in experts from around the world  who couldnt make it any worse than it already is.. 

but again  waste of time   in fact one person  thought the good people in Townsville had the time to read ozpol  and would be  offended because I suggested rain was a gift from god..... a metaphor I am sure you guys get it...but I was being insensitive to the poor souls in T'Ville even though opening the flood gates on them was seen as an act of faith...   

this is a case for experts not bumbling pollies who havent a clue and all running on a budget   that also covers their first class travel everywhere......

I think I know who I would have more faith in.. 

Don't worry CODs - they said the same thing against Utzon and his design.
In fact, Australia is renowned for "It will never work!" because its populated by a people who "never work" to be honest. Highest disability, pension (and drug/alcohol) use per ratio of population than any other nation on the planet.

Would rather put their hands out for a 'Relief Package' - than actually do something long term to improve the situation.
Nothing but a bunch of 'Renters' here.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #89 - Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:46pm

cods wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:41pm:
Gordon wrote on Feb 7th, 2019 at 9:38pm:

ok gordon youve made your point..

I'm actually with you on this one.

Sure it would be expensive but the benefit would be reaped by generations to come so the cost could be spread out over a few generations.

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Send Topic Print