Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Drain the QLD Flood (Read 12862 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Drain the QLD Flood
Feb 4th, 2019 at 8:57pm

They might call a National Emergency with this one.
The Floods of QLD.

Here is a timely and perfect example of the need for a national Canal network right across the continent.

Right now, there could be a QLD network of Canal systems that would be 'draining' all that floodwater away. The water up there would be 'moving' and not sitting like a dirty stagnant duckpond. All that water would, over the course of a few weeks - be transported (by gates, etc) across into lower NT, into NSW and as far as SA. There it will be put to good use. It could even feed a massive 'Ever-glades' like Wetlands in the middle of Australia.

A network of Canals, big and small (like they have in the Riverina) would enhance the landscape, provide much needed water access and basically add a lot of money to potentially opening up the entire interior to productivity and population.

But for now - the water remains in QLD.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Drain the QLD Flood
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:00pm

I wonder why Aboriginals haven't done this in the 50000 years they've been here?

IBI

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:03pm

Right on, Bro... send that water down stream.... thing is Lake Eyre (not to be confused with Ayers Rock) fills up every year and then evaporates....

You're gonna need a bigger catchment...

Maybe Setanta's Coastal Rivers Inland Diversion Scheme CRIDS) could start way up there - a new Snowies Scheme.... generating power and generating jobs for Faren Q... put the refos and immos to work on it to earn their citizenship.... teach some of 'em a work ethic beyond sitting around and drinking coffee in a cafe and praising Allah... refugee applicants could be put there to learn a trade or a useful skill like truck driving - and even if rejected eventually could take that skill back home ... take it out of the foreign aid budget....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:31pm

Why not just put some big water tanks in outer space and pump the water up through flexible hoses, then we can drop it wherever we want. We could power it with whale blubber.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:37pm

freediver wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:31pm:
Why not just put some big water tanks in outer space and pump the water up through flexible hoses, then we can drop it wherever we want. We could power it with whale blubber.

I want to run really thick fibre optic cable around the world and pipe sunlight in at night.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:40pm

We'd also need a filter to stop the cane toads hitching a ride south.

IBI

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:44pm

That's if there is any whale blubber left after you have finished devouring your portion of another kill, which you back.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:51pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:00pm:
I wonder why Aboriginals haven't done this in the 50000 years they've been here?

Too much Eucalyptus 'blue' vapor in the air - kinda sedated them from doing anything  Cheesy

Sort of like a Bush shower. Good thinking - but costly no?

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:03pm:
Right on, Bro... send that water down stream.... thing is Lake Eyre (not to be confused with Ayers Rock) fills up every year and then evaporates....

Maybe Setanta's Coastal Rivers Inland Diversion Scheme CRIDS) could start way up there - a new Snowies Scheme.... generating power and generating jobs for Faren Q... put the refos and immos to work on it to earn their citizenship.... teach some of 'em a work ethic beyond sitting around and drinking coffee in a cafe and praising Allah... refugee applicants could be put there to learn a trade or a useful skill like truck driving - and even if rejected eventually could take that skill back home ... take it out of the foreign aid budget....

Yep. But 'evaporation' occurs at Lake Eyre because there is no 'back-up' flow into it to keep it at level. There will be much evaporation into the air from all Canals and Catchments of water - but that also moistens the immediate air and provides a better chance for rain eventually.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:59pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:51pm:

Too much Eucalyptus 'blue' vapor in the air - kinda sedated them from doing anything  Cheesy

Sort of like a Bush shower. Good thinking - but costly no?

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:03pm:

Yep. But 'evaporation' occurs at Lake Eyre because there is no 'back-up' flow into it to keep it at level. There will be much evaporation into the air from all Canals and Catchments of water - but that also moistens the immediate air and provides a better chance for rain eventually.

Tear it a new one out to sea.. it was an inland sea once... quite salty it would be for a while anyway - they harvest salt there.... good clean salt.....

Your idea has merit...... someone has to do something to resurrect this nation ...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:01pm

White men filled in their canal system at the same time as he tore down the golden pyramids and temples and stuff.... destroyed their fuel-free technology that ran on ether waves from space etc... they had climate control all the time... Whitey wrecked the whole thing....

― John Adams

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:05pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 8:57pm:
They might call a National Emergency with this one.
The Floods of QLD.

Here is a timely and perfect example of the need for a national Canal network right across the continent.

Right now, there could be a QLD network of Canal systems that would be 'draining' all that floodwater away. The water up there would be 'moving' and not sitting like a dirty stagnant duckpond. All that water would, over the course of a few weeks - be transported (by gates, etc) across into lower NT, into NSW and as far as SA. There it will be put to good use. It could even feed a massive 'Ever-glades' like Wetlands in the middle of Australia.

A network of Canals, big and small (like they have in the Riverina) would enhance the landscape, provide much needed water access and basically add a lot of money to potentially opening up the entire interior to productivity and population.

But for now - the water remains in QLD.

Glad you posted this
We must all have been pondering the same thing

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:13pm

That's right.
Because at the moment - NOTHING is being done and every friggin year Farmers cry out for Relief Packages, the Public Pay Taxes but are expected to pay 'donations' as well, regions get Flooded, regions get Droughted, Choppers & Planes have nowhere to gain water to fight Fires, etc, etc, etc.

NOTHING IS BEING DONE.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:13pm

I had a book, don't know where it is now.  About Papua New Guinea.  Black and white photos, can't remember their dating but looked to be around the 50s.  Big canal system buried beneath tall reeds.  The natives could offer no clue as to who'd built it and hadn't even known it was there. The photos were of Aussie govt. guys.  They'd got the natives to remove a big section of the reeds.  The canal system was big. Grid formation. A couple of metres wide and deep, square edges, each uncovered section.  Book surmised it could have run for many miles.  Someone smart must have been in PNG long ago.  I've looked for mention of it online.  Nothing

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:18pm

Right now - all that water could be draining away (fast, just like the Riverina Flood of 2011 moved fast and transported away) and creating the equivalent of an Okavango inland delta in NSW around Broken Hill.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:18pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:01pm:

White men filled in their canal system at the same time as he tore down the golden pyramids and temples and stuff.... destroyed their fuel-free technology that ran on ether waves from space etc... they had climate control all the time... Whitey wrecked the whole thing....

Here's the remnants. Good pigging country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Country

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print