Re: Drain the QLD Flood
Reply #45 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:47am

cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:39am:
Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:26am:
cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:20am:
DonDeeHippy wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:46am:
cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:40am:
SUPER BILL will fix it....

hes got plans   I am sure...hang in there not sure how Annas coping   she almost invisible..make that is invisible..

The worst of conditions happened overnight after the Ross River dam’s floodgates were opened, sending 1,900 cubic metres of water gushing into the already inundated town.

We learned that authorities received more than 1,000 calls for help, while there were also 18 swift-water rescues.
About 16,000 homes were without power.
Officials faced some criticism for choosing not to impose a forced evacuation. They said they had provided sufficient warnings to residents, who had to take some personal responsibility for their welfare.
Today, authorities have been using boats, helicopters and, in some cases, garbage trucks, to rescue hundreds of Townsville residents.
The rain has eased in Townsville now, but a monsoon trough remains over the region, with more heavy rain expected.
At 5.30pm, the Bureau of Meteorology said there had been up to 268mm of rain over the past 24 hours in parts of Townsville. But since 9am, there had been only 10mm-20mm.
On Tuesday, between 55-70 mm of rain is forecast.

this is called WATER MANAGEMENT!  QLD STYLE.....

makes sense to some!

haha the alternative is to keep the water in the dam and risk the whole dam wall be destroyed... then would see some carnage ,
as u say

makes sense to some

so flooding townships  is the right thing to do.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IPSWICH ANYONE>.. Angry Angry

two young men are missing up there...but dont let that get in the way of commonsense....

something should have been done years ago......to sit back and watch this go on year in year out appears to

make sense to some!

everyone knows dams OVER FILL   they are built in places that would got the most natural water in the first place.. Angry Angry Angry..

but to flood TOWNS.. thats are already inundated.....doesnt make any bloody sense to me..

You do show your stupidity sometimes cods!

IT HAD TO BE DONE TO PROTECT THE DAM

as it was already around 250% full I think they are quoting, have you seen the carnage of a dam collapsing?

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

of course it had to be done...

flood the already flooded why not?

we have beena federation  for over 100 years

and the best we have come up with is..
open the flood gates and add to the overwhelming problems we already have... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IPSWICH anyone..

usually we learn from our mistakes....well thats what I always told my kids anyway... try not to repeat them if you possibly can.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

BUT THATS STOOOOOOPID according to red.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

its been 9 years since Ipswich   when over 30 people died... Angry Angry Angry

did they learn from that..?  NO..

why cant dams have two spillways....one not directed at townships....in cases like this????...

every dam is built in a catchment area we understand that  Qld in particular is prone to wild weather...that usually involves torrential rains  .. yes funnily enough i do expect DAMS to fill up on those occasions...

and yes I would have thought by now    someone would have realised opening the slipways   onto already inundated towns     was kinda     NOT GOOD..

maybe thats just me.. Smiley

thinking stoooopid of course. Huh

Good one cods maybe they could build this second overflow tunnel to the Murray Darling  for the next time this occurs in thirty years!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:49am

so building dams   that have spillways that only open onto townships  is the only way to build a dam..

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

yep I think that makes sense...

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

to some.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:50am

red Ipwich was in 2011.....just reminding you......

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

dont worry about it pet......nothing will change its Qld after all.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #48 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:51am

cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:49am:
so building dams   that have spillways that only open onto townships  is the only way to build a dam..

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

to some.

There is always going to be some town downhill from a dam cods.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #49 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:52am

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

to some.

You obviously havent had to operate with budget limits if you think like that!

And what happens when the second overflow is too small to cope?

A third one!

"What happens to the breakdown van when the breakdown van breaks down?"

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #50 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:53am

Aussie wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:51am:

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

to some.

There is always going to be some town downhill from a dam cods.

And downhill from cods second overflow but dont tell cods!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:02am

Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:52am:

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

to some.

A third one!

ok you win...

if we can find money for ROYALS which go nowhere   shouldnt we have fixed the murray after all this time instead we make it worse...

dont worry though  I will leave it ....

nothing wrong with what they are doing I get it?..

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:04am

hes got plans   I am sure...hang in there not sure how Annas coping   she almost invisible..make that is invisible..

The worst of conditions happened overnight after the Ross River dam’s floodgates were opened, sending 1,900 cubic metres of water gushing into the already inundated town.

We learned that authorities received more than 1,000 calls for help, while there were also 18 swift-water rescues.
Officials faced some criticism for choosing not to impose a forced evacuation. They said they had provided sufficient warnings to residents, who had to take some personal responsibility for their welfare.
Today, authorities have been using boats, helicopters and, in some cases, garbage trucks, to rescue hundreds of Townsville residents.
The rain has eased in Townsville now, but a monsoon trough remains over the region, with more heavy rain expected.
At 5.30pm, the Bureau of Meteorology said there had been up to 268mm of rain over the past 24 hours in parts of Townsville. But since 9am, there had been only 10mm-20mm.

makes sense to some!

haha the alternative is to keep the water in the dam and risk the whole dam wall be destroyed... then would see some carnage ,
as u say

makes sense to some

two young men are missing up there...but dont let that get in the way of commonsense....

something should have been done years ago......to sit back and watch this go on year in year out appears to

make sense to some!

everyone knows dams OVER FILL   they are built in places that would got the most natural water in the first place.. Angry Angry Angry..

but to flood TOWNS.. thats are already inundated.....doesnt make any bloody sense to me..

as it was already around 250% full I think they are quoting, have you seen the carnage of a dam collapsing?

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

open the flood gates and add to the overwhelming problems we already have... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IPSWICH anyone..

usually we learn from our mistakes....well thats what I always told my kids anyway... try not to repeat them if you possibly can.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

why cant dams have two spillways....one not directed at townships....in cases like this????...

every dam is built in a catchment area we understand that  Qld in particular is prone to wild weather...that usually involves torrential rains  .. yes funnily enough i do expect DAMS to fill up on those occasions...

and yes I would have thought by now    someone would have realised opening the slipways   onto already inundated towns     was kinda     NOT GOOD..

30 people didn't die in Ipswich

You know nothing about it.

The people that dies were in the Lockyer Valley ... around Helidon & Grantham .....

they were killed/washed away when a great wall of water came down off the Toowoomba ranges down an un-dammed Murphys Creek into Lockyer Creek ...

which flows into the Brisbane River below Wivenhoe dam ....

Wivenhoe dam held but releases had to be made ... 

Ipswich sits on the Bremer River ... it flows into the Brisbane River at Moggill not far upstream in the Brisbane suburban area.

The 2011 floods in Ipswich & Brisbane were "moderate".

The flood catastrophe was in the Lockyer Valley between Ipswich and Toowoomba and had nothing to do with dams.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #53 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:08am

cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:02am:
Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:52am:

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

to some.

A third one!

ok you win...

if we can find money for ROYALS which go nowhere   shouldnt we have fixed the murray after all this time instead we make it worse...

dont worry though  I will leave it ....

nothing wrong with what they are doing I get it?..

I think there is nothing wrong with how this has been handled!

The dam had a big safety margin to absorb most floods (250% seems reasonable to me)

the thinking would be the rain would ease and the excess could be released slowly

The rain didnt ease and this turned into an extreme event so hard decision had to be made rather than risk the dam.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #54 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:11am

Gnads wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:04am:

makes sense to some!

as u say

makes sense to some

make sense to some!

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

IPSWICH anyone..

30 people didn't die in Ipswich

You know nothing about it.

The people that dies were in the Lockyer Valley ... around Helidon & Grantham .....

they were killed/washed away when a great wall of water came down off the Toowoomba ranges down an un-dammed Murphys Creek into Lockyer Creek ...

which flows into the Brisbane River below Wivenhoe dam ....

Wivenhoe dam held but releases had to be made ... 

Ipswich sits on the Bremer River ... it flows into the Brisbane River at Moggill not far upstream in the Brisbane suburban area.

The 2011 floods in Ipswich & Brisbane were "moderate".

The flood catastrophe was in the Lockyer Valley between Ipswich and Toowoomba and had nothing to do with dams.

Going off half cocked again eh cods !!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:15am

cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:50am:
red Ipwich was in 2011.....just reminding you......

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

dont worry about it pet......nothing will change its Qld after all.

Yet again .. bagging QLD ... you dill

people didn't die in Ipswich

they died up the Lockyer Valley

and it had nothing to do with dams & their spillways.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #56 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:21am

she just seems frustrated and hoping there r magical experts somewhere that can do a better job....
Unfortunately when a really big rainfall happens every 30 years or so,, not much we can do about it.....
No use blaming the government or Queensland... just the weather.....
When the ppl died in 2011 the rain hit Toowoomba so hard the main street flooded (its on top of the range ) and was unprecedented, u cant forecast that one day and large amount of rain will hit when its never done that before. Wink

I am me

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:33am

2010–11 Queensland floods
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
2010–2011 Queensland and New South Wales floods

Date      November 2010 – January 2011
Location      Much of central and southern Queensland including Brisbane, Rockhampton, Gympie, Emerald, Bundaberg, Dalby, Toowoomba, Roma, and Ipswich
Death(s)      33 dead and 3 missing (presumed dead)

Property damage      A$2.38 ($2,389,225,876)  billion; 200,000 people were affected.[1]
A series of floods hit Queensland, Australia, beginning in November 2010. The floods forced the evacuation of thousands of people from towns and cities.[2] At least 90 towns and over 200,000 people were affected.[2] Damage initially was estimated at around A$1 billion[3] before it was raised to $2.38 billion.[1] The estimated reduction in Australia's GDP is about A$30 billion.[4] As at March 2012, there were 33 deaths attributed to the 2010–11 Queensland floods with a further three people still missing.[5]

Three-quarters of the council areas within the state of Queensland were declared disaster zones.[6] Communities along the Fitzroy and Burnett Rivers were particularly hard hit, while the Condamine, Ballone and Mary Rivers recorded substantial flooding. An unexpected flash flood caused by a thunderstorm raced through Toowoomba's central business district. Rainfall from the same storm devastated communities in the Lockyer Valley. A few days later thousands of houses in Ipswich and Brisbane were inundated as the Brisbane River rose and Wivenhoe Dam used a considerable proportion of its flood mitigation capacity. Volunteers were quick to offer assistance, and sympathy was expressed from afar. A large mobilisation of the Australian Defence Force was activated and a relief fund created. The head of the recovery taskforce was Major General Michael Slater. The Queensland Reconstruction Authority (CEO was Graeme Newton) was formed to coordinate the rebuilding program beyond the initial task force, and a Commission of Inquiry was established to investigate all matters related to the floods.

Angry

if dams were not involved why have an enquiry into them?..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:35am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:21am:
she just seems frustrated and hoping there r magical experts somewhere that can do a better job....
Unfortunately when a really big rainfall happens every 30 years or so,, not much we can do about it.....
When the ppl died in 2011 the rain hit Toowoomba so hard the main street flooded (its on top of the range ) and was unprecedented, u cant forecast that one day and large amount of rain will hit when its never done that before. Wink

it isnt 30 years since the last one.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

so you think no changes need to be made...

Cheesy

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:43am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 9:21am:

Totally unheard of in Toowoombas history .... great torrents coming down a gully and down certain streets ... where you could stand on a side street and watch the cars & people go by .... up to the top of and over the railway station platforms.

Oh & some people also died in Toowoomba

none that I recall were killed because of rushing/rising flood waters in Ipswich ....

even though the Bremer rose higher than expected.

Most of the damage it did was where and around where it met the Brisbane river at Moggill.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Send Topic Print