Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: Drain the QLD Flood
Reply #30 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:48am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:29am:

what would u do Cods

cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:43am:

I THINK I HAVE ALREADY SAID WHAT I WOULD DO..

BRING IN THE WORLD EXPERTS   

if you were stranded on a deserted island the first thing you would look for is fresh water..

I'll try to remember that cods, for the next time i am stranded on a desert island.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:52am

Yadda wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:48am:
I'll try to remember that cods, for the next time i am stranded on a desert island.

do you think Capt Cook  sent his crew to do that ...yadda?... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #32 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:56am

cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:52am:

do you think Capt Cook  sent his crew to do that ...yadda?... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

cods,

I'm sure that Capt Cook sent his crew to do exactly that.          Smiley

....whenever they found a new desert island.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:05am

Yadda wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:56am:
cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:52am:

cods,

I'm sure that Capt Cook sent his crew to do exactly that.          Smiley

....whenever they found a new desert island.

seriously!!

or maybe  he thought the natives had running water already...

he did know this land was not deserted  didn t he?..

what he didnt know was just how clever the occupants were... Wink Wink

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:08am

Jasin wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 8:57pm:
They might call a National Emergency with this one.
The Floods of QLD.

Here is a timely and perfect example of the need for a national Canal network right across the continent.

Right now, there could be a QLD network of Canal systems that would be 'draining' all that floodwater away. The water up there would be 'moving' and not sitting like a dirty stagnant duckpond. All that water would, over the course of a few weeks - be transported (by gates, etc) across into lower NT, into NSW and as far as SA. There it will be put to good use. It could even feed a massive 'Ever-glades' like Wetlands in the middle of Australia.

A network of Canals, big and small (like they have in the Riverina) would enhance the landscape, provide much needed water access and basically add a lot of money to potentially opening up the entire interior to productivity and population.

But for now - the water remains in QLD.

Are you totally devoid of any knowledge about the river systems in this country?

There are vast canals(river systems) that drain water from below the Gulf of Carpentaria to Sth Australia ...

it's called the "Channel Country" ....

Cooper Creek, the Barcoo, the Torrens and Thompson, Diamantina, the Georgina, Eyre, Todd & Finke ... all flow through to the Great Salt Lakes ..

of Eyre, Froome, Torrens & others.

When they flood, which isn't often, they're usually dry, they drain most of far Nth Western QLD and Sth West Nthn Territory into these Sth Australian lakes ......

which creates a massive wetland where our Pelicans, amongst other waterbirds, breed.

The Murray Darling System drains a large area mid/central QLD through 3/4 of NSW and a 3rd of Victoria into Sth Australia.

What you are suggesting will see that once or twice a decade flow stopped & stored & used for intensive agriculture in marginal country ..... which has the potential to do irreparable damage to the river system, surrounding environments and wild life.

Turning it into another Murray Darling debacle.

We would be better off, better utilising the waters & the prime agricultural land we already have than tampering with another massive inland river system because we have allowed it to be dug up by coal miners and Gas frackers.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #35 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:17am

cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:40am:
SUPER BILL will fix it....

hes got plans   I am sure...hang in there not sure how Annas coping   she almost invisible..make that is invisible..

The worst of conditions happened overnight after the Ross River dam’s floodgates were opened, sending 1,900 cubic metres of water gushing into the already inundated town.

We learned that authorities received more than 1,000 calls for help, while there were also 18 swift-water rescues.
About 16,000 homes were without power.
Officials faced some criticism for choosing not to impose a forced evacuation. They said they had provided sufficient warnings to residents, who had to take some personal responsibility for their welfare.
Today, authorities have been using boats, helicopters and, in some cases, garbage trucks, to rescue hundreds of Townsville residents.
The rain has eased in Townsville now, but a monsoon trough remains over the region, with more heavy rain expected.
At 5.30pm, the Bureau of Meteorology said there had been up to 268mm of rain over the past 24 hours in parts of Townsville. But since 9am, there had been only 10mm-20mm.
On Tuesday, between 55-70 mm of rain is forecast.

this is called WATER MANAGEMENT!  QLD STYLE.....

makes sense to some!

More sense than the dam collapsing!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:18am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:46am:

hes got plans   I am sure...hang in there not sure how Annas coping   she almost invisible..make that is invisible..

The worst of conditions happened overnight after the Ross River dam’s floodgates were opened, sending 1,900 cubic metres of water gushing into the already inundated town.

We learned that authorities received more than 1,000 calls for help, while there were also 18 swift-water rescues.
Officials faced some criticism for choosing not to impose a forced evacuation. They said they had provided sufficient warnings to residents, who had to take some personal responsibility for their welfare.
Today, authorities have been using boats, helicopters and, in some cases, garbage trucks, to rescue hundreds of Townsville residents.
The rain has eased in Townsville now, but a monsoon trough remains over the region, with more heavy rain expected.
At 5.30pm, the Bureau of Meteorology said there had been up to 268mm of rain over the past 24 hours in parts of Townsville. But since 9am, there had been only 10mm-20mm.

makes sense to some!

haha the alternative is to keep the water in the dam and risk the whole dam wall be destroyed... then would see some carnage ,
as u say

makes sense to some

Sometimes Cods ignorance is astounding.

What do they do if it keeps raining Cods?

The dam can only hold so much ... I don't know how they figure it out but it was stated yesterday that the dam was at 247% capacity......

the flood gates had to be opened.

It's not about Bill Shorten .... nor should it be another chance for you to erroneously bag QLD ...again.

You ought be ashamed of yourself Cods.

It's an unprecedented natural occurrence in the hands of Mother Nature.

Nth Qlders like all QLDers are a resilient lot.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:25am

issuevoter wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:03am:
If you consult map with elevations you will see that most of the Queensland catchment already flows south west. It is only the coastal strip that flows into the sea, but that is were the population is, and that makes news. This winter, Lake Eyre will fill again, because of this present wet-season. To divert that SW water flow to the middle of the NT would require a significant slope, which would put the water underground.

But the NT already has an enormous water storage at Lake Argyle which is hardly used.

There is increased activity for agriculture around Kununurra now ... large Chinese interests would you believe?

They have the rights to the Port of Darwin too.

Lake Argyle will be better utilised.

If you look at the Channel Country river system you will see a large piece of Sth West Nthn Territory drains into that from Alice Springs to the QLD Sth Australian borders.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #38 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:26am

cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:20am:

makes sense to some!

haha the alternative is to keep the water in the dam and risk the whole dam wall be destroyed... then would see some carnage ,
as u say

makes sense to some

so flooding townships  is the right thing to do.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IPSWICH ANYONE>.. Angry Angry

two young men are missing up there...but dont let that get in the way of commonsense....

something should have been done years ago......to sit back and watch this go on year in year out appears to

make sense to some!

everyone knows dams OVER FILL   they are built in places that would got the most natural water in the first place.. Angry Angry Angry..

but to flood TOWNS.. thats are already inundated.....doesnt make any bloody sense to me..

You do show your stupidity sometimes cods!

IT HAD TO BE DONE TO PROTECT THE DAM

as it was already around 250% full I think they are quoting, have you seen the carnage of a dam collapsing?

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:27am

Cods at Reply #22 above:

Quote:

I have no idea what plans your 'Super Bill' has cods, but your slap at Palaszczuk is as astonishing as your yet again exposed ignorance on display on this Thread.

You live in Canberra and will not get Qld ABC News on your TV.  Palaszczuk is all over my TV on ABC.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:39am

Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:26am:

makes sense to some!

as u say

makes sense to some

two young men are missing up there...but dont let that get in the way of commonsense....

something should have been done years ago......to sit back and watch this go on year in year out appears to

make sense to some!

everyone knows dams OVER FILL   they are built in places that would got the most natural water in the first place.. Angry Angry Angry..

but to flood TOWNS.. thats are already inundated.....doesnt make any bloody sense to me..

You do show your stupidity sometimes cods!

IT HAD TO BE DONE TO PROTECT THE DAM

as it was already around 250% full I think they are quoting, have you seen the carnage of a dam collapsing?

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

of course it had to be done...

flood the already flooded why not?

we have beena federation  for over 100 years

and the best we have come up with is..
open the flood gates and add to the overwhelming problems we already have... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IPSWICH anyone..

usually we learn from our mistakes....well thats what I always told my kids anyway... try not to repeat them if you possibly can.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

BUT THATS STOOOOOOPID according to red.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

its been 9 years since Ipswich   when over 30 people died... Angry Angry Angry

did they learn from that..?  NO..

why cant dams have two spillways....one not directed at townships....in cases like this????...

every dam is built in a catchment area we understand that  Qld in particular is prone to wild weather...that usually involves torrential rains  .. yes funnily enough i do expect DAMS to fill up on those occasions...

and yes I would have thought by now    someone would have realised opening the slipways   onto already inundated towns     was kinda     NOT GOOD..

maybe thats just me.. Smiley

thinking stoooopid of course. Huh

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:40am

Aussie wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:27am:
Cods at Reply #22 above:

Quote:

I have no idea what plans your 'Super Bill' has cods, but your slap at Palaszczuk is as astonishing as your yet again exposed ignorance on display on this Thread.

You live in Canberra and will not get Qld ABC News on your TV.  Palaszczuk is all over my TV on ABC.

lucky you ! we have clive. Angry Angry

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:42am

makes sense to some!

as u say

makes sense to some

make sense to some!

You're really are showing your bloody ignorance.

Even without the dam the river would have flooded with the massive rainfall they've had ....

some of the low lying areas down stream from the dam are between the Ross and Bohle River and would have been also inundated by the latter anyway ...and it doesn't have a dam. 

So they keep the dam gates closed ... it fails and the suburbs downstream are completely destroyed.

Kelso, Rasmussen, Condon, Thuringowa, Kiwan, Cranbrook, Aitkenvale, Annandale, Mundingburra, Idalia, Oonoonba, Rosslea, Hermit Park, Railway Estate and into the CBD.

What's your alternative solution?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #43 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:44am

Quote:
of course it had to be done...

flood the already flooded why not?

we have beena federation  for over 100 years

and the best we have come up with is..
open the flood gates and add to the overwhelming problems we already have... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IPSWICH anyone..

usually we learn from our mistakes....well thats what I always told my kids anyway... try not to repeat them if you possibly can.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

BUT THATS STOOOOOOPID according to red.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

its been 9 years since Ipswich   when over 30 people died... Angry Angry Angry

did they learn from that..?  NO..

why cant dams have two spillways....one not directed at townships....in cases like this????...

every dam is built in a catchment area we understand that  Qld in particular is prone to wild weather...that usually involves torrential rains  .. yes funnily enough i do expect DAMS to fill up on those occasions...

and yes I would have thought by now    someone would have realised opening the slipways   onto already inundated towns     was kinda     NOT GOOD..

maybe thats just me.. Smiley

thinking stoooopid of course. Huh

Cods...water flows down hill no matter what direction a spill way is originally pointed.

If they did not open the spillway (thus controlling the rate of water release) the dam wall fails and the whole dam full immediately floods downhill at a totally uncontrolled rate.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 8:47am

people can  at least build levies or sand bag whena river rises...   when its coming down instead of up.... they have no hope... Roll Eyes

again I am probably looking at it from the wrong angle  all I am saying is..

shouldnt we have found a better way by now?

after all this time   

do you think what they have done, lets say over the past 50 years....couldnt be improved on.?..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print