Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Drain the QLD Flood (Read 12863 times)
Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Drain the QLD Flood
Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:25pm

Getting the water over hills and combatting friction and the fact water needs to flow downhill is the problem.
Drilling a big hole into the artesian and sub artesian basin and draining the water down there and pumping it out in the middle of Australia might work.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:28pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:25pm:
Getting the water over hills and combatting friction and the fact water needs to flow downhill is the problem.
Drilling a big hole into the artesian and sub artesian basin and draining the water down there and pumping it out in the middle of Australia might work.

Artesian is estimated to be only a 1/3rd left underground - excessively pumped out by Farmers who must be wasting it because they keep crying out for hand-outs and relief packages, even up there at the head of the snake (Murray-Darling).

If Australia was a Human body - it seems any consumption of water through the mouth is only reaching some parts of the body. No wonder the Aboriginals looked 'dried out' when first discovered wandering the interior.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:32pm

Anyone else suspect that lying forgotten in dusty storage there are dozens of blueprints drawn up by people with intelligence and vision, back in the first half of the 20th century, to tackle this situation?  Today, first priority would be how to privatise it and which Asian mob should build it

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:47pm

Since the start of the 80's the Australian Government and Privatisation has achieved an input into this country of 'non-permanence'. Train stations have been designed not to last and like everything to be 'turned over', not fixed and just replaced... the 'throw away' society. NOTHING has really been made to last.

Maybe ALP & NLP won't last and be replaced, rather than fixed - too?  Tongue

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:50pm

PZ547 wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:32pm:
Anyone else suspect that lying forgotten in dusty storage there are dozens of blueprints drawn up by people with intelligence and vision, back in the first half of the 20th century, to tackle this situation?  Today, first priority would be how to privatise it and which Asian mob should build it

Perhaps we shouldn't lush up the center of Australia, everybody would want to come here, although its still bloody hot out there, and so may flies.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #20 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 12:28am

Johnnie wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:50pm:
PZ547 wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 10:32pm:

Perhaps we shouldn't lush up the center of Australia, everybody would want to come here, although its still bloody hot out there, and so may flies.

Flies, cockroaches and rats know when they're on a good thing... I used to forbid killing of mice that came into the house down South when winter was coming on... catch and release.... same with rats... I will have no murdering of innocent mice in this house!

The downhill running of the canals will provide power for air con, and the evaporated moisture will change the humidity to a comfortable zone.... we'll call the new state Paradisia .... better than Parasitia (Canberra)....

Based on the experience in the Murray Darling Basin and salinity, I would not encourage irrigation.... natural rainfall and maybe limited irrigation... but you all know by now the Great Artesian Basin is saline already..... make it rise up and salt is all you'll get.... underlying salinity is a definite no-no for irrigation.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #21 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:32am

freediver wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 9:31pm:
Why not just put some big water tanks in outer space and pump the water up through flexible hoses, then we can drop it wherever we want. We could power it with whale blubber.

LOL !

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:40am

SUPER BILL will fix it....

hes got plans   I am sure...hang in there not sure how Annas coping   she almost invisible..make that is invisible..

The worst of conditions happened overnight after the Ross River dam’s floodgates were opened, sending 1,900 cubic metres of water gushing into the already inundated town.

We learned that authorities received more than 1,000 calls for help, while there were also 18 swift-water rescues.
About 16,000 homes were without power.
Officials faced some criticism for choosing not to impose a forced evacuation. They said they had provided sufficient warnings to residents, who had to take some personal responsibility for their welfare.
Today, authorities have been using boats, helicopters and, in some cases, garbage trucks, to rescue hundreds of Townsville residents.
The rain has eased in Townsville now, but a monsoon trough remains over the region, with more heavy rain expected.
At 5.30pm, the Bureau of Meteorology said there had been up to 268mm of rain over the past 24 hours in parts of Townsville. But since 9am, there had been only 10mm-20mm.
On Tuesday, between 55-70 mm of rain is forecast.

this is called WATER MANAGEMENT!  QLD STYLE.....

makes sense to some!

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #23 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:46am

cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:40am:

hes got plans   I am sure...hang in there not sure how Annas coping   she almost invisible..make that is invisible..

The worst of conditions happened overnight after the Ross River dam’s floodgates were opened, sending 1,900 cubic metres of water gushing into the already inundated town.

We learned that authorities received more than 1,000 calls for help, while there were also 18 swift-water rescues.
Officials faced some criticism for choosing not to impose a forced evacuation. They said they had provided sufficient warnings to residents, who had to take some personal responsibility for their welfare.
Today, authorities have been using boats, helicopters and, in some cases, garbage trucks, to rescue hundreds of Townsville residents.
The rain has eased in Townsville now, but a monsoon trough remains over the region, with more heavy rain expected.
At 5.30pm, the Bureau of Meteorology said there had been up to 268mm of rain over the past 24 hours in parts of Townsville. But since 9am, there had been only 10mm-20mm.

makes sense to some!

haha the alternative is to keep the water in the dam and risk the whole dam wall be destroyed... then would see some carnage ,
as u say

makes sense to some

I am me

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #24 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:50am

makes sense to some!

cods,

Authorities in charge of the dam           probably had to release water, in order to prevent the possibility of the dam failing
[which could happen, if the excess water behind the dam, was allowed to overflow the sides of the dam].

Does that make sense to you ?

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #25 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:03am

If you consult map with elevations you will see that most of the Queensland catchment already flows south west. It is only the coastal strip that flows into the sea, but that is were the population is, and that makes news. This winter, Lake Eyre will fill again, because of this present wet-season. To divert that SW water flow to the middle of the NT would require a significant slope, which would put the water underground.

But the NT already has an enormous water storage at Lake Argyle which is hardly used.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:20am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:46am:

makes sense to some!

haha the alternative is to keep the water in the dam and risk the whole dam wall be destroyed... then would see some carnage ,
as u say

makes sense to some

so flooding townships  is the right thing to do.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IPSWICH ANYONE>.. Angry Angry

two young men are missing up there...but dont let that get in the way of commonsense....

something should have been done years ago......to sit back and watch this go on year in year out appears to

make sense to some!

everyone knows dams OVER FILL   they are built in places that would got the most natural water in the first place.. Angry Angry Angry..

but to flood TOWNS.. thats are already inundated.....doesnt make any bloody sense to me..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:29am

issuevoter wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:03am:
If you consult map with elevations you will see that most of the Queensland catchment already flows south west. It is only the coastal strip that flows into the sea, but that is were the population is, and that makes news. This winter, Lake Eyre will fill again, because of this present wet-season. To divert that SW water flow to the middle of the NT would require a significant slope, which would put the water underground.

But the NT already has an enormous water storage at Lake Argyle which is hardly used.

NT right next door to Qld... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes..they also have a huge rain fall    and they dont flood their towns when their dams get full...

like I have said many times I dont have the answers...but what we are doing doesnt make any sense to me at all...

we need some expert advice  we need to make a start and get it right so it works for everyone..

I cant believe this country doesnt have a fast train..

we should have super roads.. at least joining our major cities.... we shouldnt have over crowded cities like Sydney.....with gridlock every day....

what we need is forward thinking...we need clever people not pollies.....

but instead what do we get..

lets have a ROYAL  that should fix everything..  Cheesy

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #28 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:29am

cods wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:20am:
DonDeeHippy wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 6:46am:

makes sense to some!

as u say

makes sense to some

so flooding townships  is the right thing to do.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IPSWICH ANYONE>.. Angry Angry

two young men are missing up there...but dont let that get in the way of commonsense....

something should have been done years ago......to sit back and watch this go on year in year out appears to

make sense to some!

everyone knows dams OVER FILL   they are built in places that would got the most natural water in the first place.. Angry Angry Angry..

but to flood TOWNS.. that's are already inundated.....doesnt make any bloody sense to me..

the alternative is the dam failing and everyone dying..... u can only make a dam wall so high after that if u have massive flooding some needs to be released…. no getting around it. Wink
The only mismanagement that there can be is like in 2011 at Brisbane the water authorities didn't empty the dam soon enough so when  (they just finished a major drought and didn't want to empty the dam) if kept flooding they had to empty at the peak and made it worse..... unfortunately water authorities don't have a crystal ball....
I guess they could of emptied the ross river dam well before the flood... but if the weather changed they would of had a empty dam... what would u do Cods ? Wink

I am me

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:43am

DonDeeHippy wrote on Feb 5th, 2019 at 7:29am:
what would u do Cods

I THINK I HAVE ALREADY SAID WHAT I WOULD DO..

BRING IN THE WORLD EXPERTS   

we have proved we have no idea what we are doing....

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

the AZTECS appeared to have had more insight into water management than we do... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

we cant and never will be able to turn off cyclones or massive rain fall.....so what do you think??????   shouldn t we be harnessing it making use of it instead... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

weve only just discovered wind and sun power and what its capable of doing.....

water  the saving of the directing of....should have been one of the first commitments in this sunburnt country...

if you were stranded on a deserted island the first thing you would look for is fresh water..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Send Topic Print